Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,763 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State (57349 Views)

PHOTO: Made In Benue Filling Station / Truck With Hero Beer Falls In Gboko, Benue State (Photos) / Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Bome01(m): 5:32am On Sep 22, 2013
uwish: Let him/her that is without sin first cast the stone. Though it is an ungodly act.
you casted d stone first!
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by mayorhy: 5:32am On Sep 22, 2013
he without sin let him cast the first stone! and already fellow nairalanders who are without sin are raining the judgement and condemnations!
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by mayorhy: 5:34am On Sep 22, 2013
Bome01: you casted d stone first!
casting the first stone means condemning someone. he condemned the act , he did not condemn them! jesus condenmed the act as a sin, not the woman
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Rogo: 6:20am On Sep 22, 2013
Many days for the cheater one day for judgement
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 6:37am On Sep 22, 2013
i can see people are making coments about what they know nothing about. This isnt too suprising anyway becos they are of the background of the Abrahamic religions. They are fed by their ignorant pastors on issues that have to do with African spirituality.

Alekwu actually means 'spirit'- spirit of the Ancestors, if you like.
It works this way: every clan/family has ancestors. The living members of the families come together and take a decision on several issues and they seal it up with the ancestors. This means that it is what the living members want that the ancestors execute.

As for the walking naked on the street, i am very sure that the Alekwu did not demand that. I think it is the people that did that as a result of their anger.

The beautiful thing about the Alekwu tradition is that it is very flexible. This means, as time passes, things could becomes unnecessary and the living members of the family can amend the laws and make it reflect the modern time.

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2013
if a woman is cheating and the man knows about but didnt do anything, the Alekwu will go after the man for the fact that he knew of it and didnt do anything and continued to eat her food.

I wonder whats wrong with punishing people if they did something wrong. The christians saying all sort of rubb!sh about this tradition are only filled with hate for an African spirituality they know nothing about!
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by peterphd(m): 7:13am On Sep 22, 2013
gst101: if a woman is cheating and the man knows about but didnt do anything, the Alekwu will go after the man for the fact that he knew of it and didnt do anything and continued to eat her food.

I wonder whats wrong with punishing people if they did something wrong. The christians saying all sort of rubb!sh about this tradition are only filled with hate for an African spirituality they know nothing about!

So killing children who know nothing about it is part of the "wonder" of African spirituality? Punishing people isn't wrong but the punishments are harsh and against women.The laws, I believe are used by the men so they can dominate.I am yet to see how good a tradition that kills children or separates children from their parents such that they can't even eat their food is a good one.Thanks for your elaboration.can it be dodged?

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by darelar(m): 7:14am On Sep 22, 2013
That is too bad of the woman just 2 days after the husband death, not even after 41 days. That tell you that nobody is worth dying for. As the man, he must be a stupid man without concience. If not he wouldn't hav slept with a widow of 2days.
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by lalaberry(f): 7:15am On Sep 22, 2013
gst101: if a woman is cheating and the man knows about but didnt do anything, the Alekwu will go after the man for the fact that he knew of it and didnt do anything and continued to eat her food.

Indeed!! Seems like d oracle Ȋ̊s quite selective in justice.y don't d oracle go after corrupt politicians,rapist,peadophilles etc,instead of 2 consenting adults? & What does d oracle do 2 men in d community that cheat on their wives?? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 8:40am On Sep 22, 2013
@peterphd i am not pretending that every thing is right. If the woman cheats and her husband knows about it but didnt do anything, and the husband gets punished. This isnt to say that the woman is 'left alone'.

In that society (the old one), a woman who does such a thing that leads to her husband's death is stigmatzed. Such stigmatization is sever enough to be a punishment. So you can see she is not absolutely 'left alone'.

The man on the other hand deserves his punishment becos he knew of his wife's infedelity but did nothing about it. He condoned it! We all know what a threat to the well being of the family infidelity is.

I agree the children should be left out of it. But like i said, its beauty is in its flexibility. What the spirits work with is what the living members of the family agreed on
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by peterphd(m): 8:44am On Sep 22, 2013
gst101: @peterphd i am not pretending that every thing is right. If the woman cheats and her husband knows about it but didnt do anything, and the husband gets punished. This isnt to say that the woman is 'left alone'.

In that society (the old one), a woman who does such a thing that leads to her husband's death is stigmatzed. Such stigmatization is sever enough to be a punishment. So you can see she is not absolutely 'left alone'.

The man on the other hand deserves his punishment becos he knew of his wife's infedelity but did nothing about it. He condoned it! We all know what a threat to the well being of the family infidelity is.

I agree the children should be left out of it. But like i said, its beauty is in its flexibility. What the spirits work with is what the living members of the family agreed on

Thanks man but so it still cannot be dodged?I
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by solomon111(m): 8:46am On Sep 22, 2013
As usual according to morøns,african tradition is bad but western culture is good.
The same people that see nothing wrong in gayism and bestiality and yet condemn polygamy.
Idiots.
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by arimahoseloka(m): 8:58am On Sep 22, 2013
O boy
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 9:22am On Sep 22, 2013
@peterphd i agree that it is sometimes used to exert dominance. But if you are going to condemn them for this flaw, then you can also condemn all things that exist and has being abused! You can start with the Judeo-christian tradition.

In the bible, we have a similar thing. When a woman comits adultery, she is draged out and stoned to death. Jesus actually knew of it and saw it happen. The bible talks somuch about female infidelity but not male infidelity. So the bible can be accused of the same male dominance
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 9:33am On Sep 22, 2013
lalaberry:

Indeed!! Seems like d oracle Ȋ̊s quite selective in justice.y don't d oracle go after corrupt politicians,rapist,peadophilles etc,instead of 2 consenting adults? & What does d oracle do 2 men in d community that cheat on their wives?? undecided

like i said, the Alekwu only follows that which the people agree on. If they want to include laws to punish corrupt politicians, they can include it. But keep in mind that the Nigerian state is a secular one and bringing Alekwu into it would amount to establishing a state religion.

As for thieves, if they refuse to own up to the crime, the Family would bring Alekwu and they will "ch'okele" in the family/village. If the thief doest own up, he will die.
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 9:44am On Sep 22, 2013
solomon111: As usual according to morøns,african tradition is bad but western culture is good.
The same people that see nothing wrong in gayism and bestiality and yet condemn polygamy.
Idiots.

1million like.

The most anoying thing is: all these things they condemn, they have no knowledge of. They have being fed by someone who i sabsolutely ignorant
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 9:45am On Sep 22, 2013
peterphd:

Thanks man but so it still cannot be dodged?I
cant understand what you mean by cannot be dodged
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 22, 2013
Wow! So there are people who believe infidelity and stealing should be punishable by death in this day and age?

As for Alekwu not asking them to walk naked, thx for the education but this thread is really about making them walk around naked through the streets. Is that a good thing too?
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Ryda(m): 10:19am On Sep 22, 2013
intermission of the hallucination
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by peterphd(m): 10:22am On Sep 22, 2013
solomon111: As usual according to morøns,african tradition is bad but western culture is good.
Idiots.

Someone being gay doesn't in anyway affect your own sexuality.live and let live. You aren't idoma I guess so you probably don't know what it means for children to be killed for something their parents did or for parents to be killed and children left orphaned...stop the insults and think.

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by peterphd(m): 10:24am On Sep 22, 2013
gst101: cant understand what you mean by cannot be dodged

I mean isn't it possible for one from such a place to escape this potential death trap e.g avoiding traditional marriage to escape the alekwu at least in his family?

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 11:06am On Sep 22, 2013
peterphd:
I mean isn't it possible for one from such a place to escape this potential death trap e.g avoiding traditional marriage to escape the alekwu at least in his family?

if you do not want to be part of it, you can pull out (that is if you were even part of it at all). You just need to offer some sacrifices (depending on the law of your family) and wash your hands off it completely. This sacrifice you are going to offer does not require a human head or your 'star' like some uninformed christians, who are ruled by fear, would tell you.

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 11:09am On Sep 22, 2013
peterphd:

Idoma traditional marriages only has to do with consent of the parent and bride price. There is no swearing or anything spiritual being done anywhere
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Tinkybabe(f): 11:15am On Sep 22, 2013
The act is barbaric!
Ain't there other sane ways to punish them?

Some beliefs/cultures need to be done away with. We live in a civilised world now.

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 11:41am On Sep 22, 2013
peterphd:

Someone being gay doesn't in anyway affect your own sexuality.live and let live. You aren't idoma I guess so you probably don't know what it means for children to be killed for something their parents did or for parents to be killed and children left orphaned...stop the insults and think.

as for the children being killed, that i think, should be left out.

Reading through your post, i get the feeling that you are a bit suspecious becos the death has got to do with something spiritual if not, you wouldnt have asked if it is fair for children to be orphaned becos of what their parent did or did not do.

To explain further: why dont you traffic drugs to malaysia and be cought and put to death by the law. when that happens, your children will be orphaned. But you are not going to ask if it is fair for the children to be orphaned just becos of what you did, are you? But becos this is spiritual is the reason for your suspecion.

I blame christianity and Nollywood who constantly present African spirituality in a negative way
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 11:43am On Sep 22, 2013
Tinkybabe: The act is barbaric!

Some beliefs/cultures need to be done away with. We live in a civilised world now.

so all the enlightenment being done on this particular page no still enter your ear?
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 11:58am On Sep 22, 2013
@peterphd solomon 111 has got good points.

You can argue that this sort of tradition as well as polygamy, brings something to the table and is not selfish. But what does Homosexuality brings to the table? How is it generous? What kind of agent of socialization is same sexxx marriage?
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Reddick: 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ok. I said it .......END TIME THINGSSSSSSSS....
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by solomon111(m): 12:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
Tinkybabe: The act is barbaric!

who defines civilization?
Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by gst101: 12:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
@peterphd this Alekwu tradition is even more merciful than the civil law is. If anyone cheats or steals, it doesnt mean you will die. Infact, the Alekwu does not kill you becos you stole or you were unfaithful. It kills becos you did not OWN UP to your misdeeds. At first, when the Alekwu strikes you with illness, those who know the symptoms will tell you that theis sickness isnt ordinary. They will also ask you if you have done any of the prohibited. If you say yes, the Alekwu will leave you automatically! It is only when you do not own up that you will die

1 Like

Re: Cheating Couple Forced To Walk Unclad In Benue State by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 22, 2013
Chartey:
Alekwu usually kills the husband and children of an unfaithful wife if she refuses to confess her misdeeds. She lives to witness everything. It's the men that suffer. People were angry she was heartless enough to be with another man after she caused her husband's death. I always laughed at my Idoma friends when they talked about it till i saw it happen in my friend's family. It was heart-wrenching. Alekwu has historical roots and i don't know what will put it to a stop. Sometimes it's not bad to be a little superstitious.
my ish is with the stripping stripping thing.it's disgusting.that's all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Shot And Killed A Snake That Entered His Living Room In Trindade And Tobago / Man Paints His Leg To Beg In Lagos (photo) / Huge Python Killed Today In Igbogbo, Ikorudu, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.