Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,042 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) (10306 Views)

DOWNLOAD SERMON : THE POWER OF PRIORITY - BY DR. D. K. OLUKOYA / SERMON : The Portrait Of The Enemy - Bro. Gbile Akanni / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ninja4life(m): 12:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
Lmao just passing.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 06, 2013
tchaik: bishop logic boy, what time is service today?. wink wink wink

Noo service today....pastor fon travel
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by barackohandso(m): 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
Na wah oh, and I been dey expect service today oh. angryNa wah oh, and I been dey expect service today oh.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 10:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
Logicboy03:

Noo service today....pastor fon travel
angry
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by wiegraf: 12:07am On Oct 07, 2013
If to say we dey pay tithe, him for show. That is one thing theists get right, they are fully proffesional/organized with these sorts of schemes
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by barackohandso(m): 10:03am On Oct 07, 2013
Lol
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 13, 2013
[size=18pt]Sermon Topic- Intelligent People Win [/size]

Ladies and gentlemen; heathens and infidels, welcome to another sunday atheist sermon. We are sorry for the omission last Sunday!

before we start lets have a prayer;

Prayer to Humanity-
I wish for a better world
where we are less divided
and more united
more knowledge and less faith
more practical solutions and less prayer
a world where science is learnt
and not hated or feared

I want to tell a story which ends with a question so that I can make a deep point that is central to this sermon;

There are two brothers; Seun and Tope. Seun and Tope had good upbringing with strong morals. They grew up together but Seun went abroad to get a Phd in management while Tope only managed to get a diploma from polytechnic. When Seun came back to Nigeria, he could get a job easily and the same was for Tope who was also unemployed. Tope, being very religious started going to church and got his job as a christian motivational speaker from his church (he was a freelance sunday school teach and his teaching talent was discovered). Seun is not religious and is a skeptic- he didnt pray for a job but hustled for one on his own- he also became a motivational speaker for a management consultancy firm. Seun and Tope both spoke about business ethics and keeping integrity. Also, the both spoke on charity; Seun used a secular method of talking about corporate social responsibility while Tope used his christian ethics to talk about helping the poor.

Times were good for both brothers until Seun's company went broke. Seun didnt have job and couldnt even afford his rent. Seun had to move to a one room shack in a ghetto. Seun's fiance left him. Tope, on the other hand, was living in a luxury apartment in Lekki and driving 3 different SUVs. Tope has a wife and 3 children. Tope could practice what he preached by going to do charity with his wealth and meeting top christian pastors to engage in community projects. Seun could not practice his own charity, he had no money to give anyone and lacked the necessary connections to do projects.

The question now is- who is intelligent between the two brothers? Seun or Tope?

You see, on paper, Seun would be more intelligent and his experience would be beneficial to those who run businesses. However, in the society we live in, Seun is a failure. "What did his atheism and his intelligence plus education get him? Foolish atheist Seun! Could he achieve his dreams? Respect to the boss man Tope! The guy runs his own business and rolls in luxury. The guy only has a diploma...he crawled his way out of unemployment.....remain private jet jooo....God is blessing him!!"

The simple point from this story is that the world is unfair and intelligence on only paper (degree) only works in a fair world. I laugh sometimes when some atheists rant about how Nigeria is; they say "oh Nigeria is filled with illiterate people who just follow religion without thinking! There is no proper debate or policy on abortion! There is no separation from church and state! etc" << The reason why atheists are saying such is because we are losing in Nigeria. Talk is cheap. We are losing.

Take a look at the sermon topic "intelligent people win". Christians and muslims understand the power of numbers and politics. They use the sheer voice the religious crowd to force their religion on government policies. The few atheists then complain and cry. The atheists are only intelligent on paper, just like brother Seun. Brother Seun can do management consultancy and help you run your business but he is broke and has no job or business himself. The atheists in Nigeria need to win. Just like the American atheists, humanists etc who have pushed against religious intolerance and still continue to do so. The have succeeded in stirring up the debate about religious symbols in govt buildings. They have pushed back on creeping creationism and religion in public schools. They are winning. They are intelligent both on paper and in practice.

If you want to see Nigeria change, you have to do it. You have to win. Do you think that slavery just stopped when christian and secular abolitionists said that slavery should stop? No. There were slave uprisings, there was serious debate, there was even a civil war. Just sitting back and saying that "I dont bother with religion, I just mind my own disbelief and get on" is foolish. Why? Because a boko haram member doesnt mind his belief- unlike you who keeps your disbelief to yourself. The could bomb you and your family if you are in an international building in Abuja. A religious bigot will force you enter embarrasing situations because you want to buy birth control or contraceptives. Many religious people do not mind their business if even you mind your beliefs.

I believe that atheists should be both intelligent on paper and in practice. Play the game. Play the politics of life. If a silly church is causing a 3 hour traffic delay just because they are having revival camps (church members blocking roads with bad parking), there is nothing wrong in writing numerous letters (preferably anonymous or with pseudonyms) to the local or state government and newspapers to stop the nonsense. Or would you rather be 3 hours late and miss business opportunities because of traffic caused by some meddling church?

Note that I am not saying that it is a crime to be poor (with relations to Seun in the story). The point is that you're in a society/world where poverty is looked upon as a disease. You can only influence or achieve something when you have the means to do so. Here in Nigeria, if you are poor, you are not intelligent whether you read books or not. The illiterate pastor who has a mullti-million dollar church is the wise man.

Food for thought.

*passes around atheist tithe bag*

The sermon is ended. Please, go in peace

6 Likes

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]Sermon Topic- Intelligent People Win [/size]

Ladies and gentlemen; heathens and infidels, welcome to another sunday atheist sermon. We are sorry for the omission last Sunday!

Prayer to Humanity-
and more united
and not hated or feared

I want to tell a story which ends with a question so that I can make a deep point that is central to this sermon;

There are two brothers; Seun and Tope. Seun and Tope had good upbringing with strong morals. They grew up together but Seun went abroad to get a Phd in management while Tope only managed to get a diploma from polytechnic. When Seun came back to Nigeria, he could get a job easily and the same was for Tope who was also unemployed. Tope, being very religious started going to church and got his job as a christian motivational speaker from his church (he was a freelance sunday school teach and his teaching talent was discovered). Seun is not religious and is a skeptic- he didnt pray for a job but hustled for one on his own- he also became a motivational speaker for a management consultancy firm. Seun and Tope both spoke about business ethics and keeping integrity. Also, the both spoke on charity; Seun used a secular method of talking about corporate social responsibility while Tope used his christian ethics to talk about helping the poor.

Times were good for both brothers until Seun's company went broke. Seun didnt have job and couldnt even afford his rent. Seun had to move to a one room shack in a ghetto. Seun's fiance left him. Tope, on the other hand, was living in a luxury apartment in Lekki and driving 3 different SUVs. Tope has a wife and 3 children. Tope could practice what he preached by going to do charity with his wealth and meeting top christian pastors to engage in community projects. Seun could not practice his own charity, he had no money to give anyone and lacked the necessary connections to do projects.

You see, on paper, Seun would be more intelligent and his experience would be beneficial to those who run businesses. However, in the society we live in, Seun is a failure. "What did his atheism and his intelligence plus education get him? Foolish atheist Seun! Could he achieve his dreams? Respect to the boss man Tope! The guy runs his own business and rolls in luxury. The guy only has a diploma...he crawled his way out of unemployment.....remain private jet jooo....God is blessing him!!"

The simple point from this story is that the world is unfair and intelligence on only paper (degree) only works in a fair world. I laugh sometimes when some atheists rant about how Nigeria is; they say "oh Nigeria is filled with illiterate people who just follow religion without thinking! There is no proper debate or policy on abortion! There is no separation from church and state! etc" << The reason why atheists are saying such is because we are losing in Nigeria. Talk is cheap. We are losing.

Take a look at the sermon topic "intelligent people win". Christians and muslims understand the power of numbers and politics. They use the sheer voice the religious crowd to force their religion on government policies. The few atheists then complain and cry. The atheists are only intelligent on paper, just like brother Seun. Brother Seun can do management consultancy and help you run your business but he is broke and has no job or business himself. The atheists in Nigeria need to win. Just like the American atheists, humanists etc who have pushed against religious intolerance and still continue to do so. The have succeeded in stirring up the debate about religious symbols in govt buildings. They have pushed back on creeping creationism and religion in public schools. They are winning. They are intelligent both on paper and in practice.

If you want to see Nigeria change, you have to do it. You have to win. Do you think that slavery just stopped when christian and secular abolitionists said that slavery should stop? No. There were slave uprisings, there was serious debate, there was even a civil war. Just sitting back and saying that "I dont bother with religion, I just mind my own disbelief and get on" is foolish. Why? Because a boko haram member doesnt mind his belief- unlike you who keeps your disbelief to yourself. The could bomb you and your family if you are in an international building in Abuja. A religious bigot will force you enter embarrasing situations because you want to buy birth control or contraceptives. Many religious people do not mind their business if even you mind your beliefs.

I believe that atheists should be both intelligent on paper and in practice. Play the game. Play the politics of life. If a silly church is causing a 3 hour traffic delay just because they are having revival camps (church members blocking roads with bad parking), there is nothing wrong in writing numerous letters (preferably anonymous or with pseudonyms) to the local or state government and newspapers to stop the nonsense. Or would you rather be 3 hours late and miss business opportunities because of traffic caused by some meddling church?

Note that I am not saying that it is a crime to be poor (with relations to Seun in the story). The point is that you're in a society/world where poverty is looked upon as a disease. You can only influence or achieve something when you have the means to do so. Here in Nigeria, if you are poor, you are not intelligent whether you read books or not. The illiterate pastor who has a mullti-million dollar church is the wise man.

Food for thought.

Pastor good morning ooo, I have some questions
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Ask them.....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

ask them....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by plaetton: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]Sermon Topic- Intelligent People Win [/size]

Prayer to Humanity-
and more united
and not hated or feared

Food for thought.

Bravo. cheesy
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ooman(m): 5:15pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

[b]*passes around atheist tithe bag*

where does the tithe money go pls?
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
ooman:

where does the tithe money go pls?

Towards two projects;

-My Lexus 450H with "SK3PT1C" as my plate number
-An atheist billboard saying "What if God doesnt exist?"

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ooman(m): 5:20pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Towards two projects;

-My Lexus 450H with "SK3PT1C" as my plate number
-An atheist billboard saying "What if God doesnt exist?"

and why should the atheist tithe money get you a lexus? or is it for evangelism?

I think "What if God doesnt exist?" sounds rather agnostic....

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
ooman:

and why should the atheist tithe money get you a lexus? or is it for evangelism?

I think "What if God doesnt exist?" sounds rather agnostic....

I have to ride like all the other big boy pastors. Did you not read the sermon about Seun and Tope? I must have the connections and swag to properly preach my atheist gospel.....the luxury car helps.

Also, you can go full atheists on Nigerians....some might run mad.....agnostic first, then gbam! Full atheism
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ooman(m): 5:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

I have to ride like all the other big boy pastors. Did you not read the sermon about Seun and Tope? I must have the connections and swag to properly preach my atheist gospel.....the luxury car helps.

Also, you can go full atheists on Nigerians....some might run mad.....agnostic first, then gbam! Full atheism

common LB, i thought you were against all those big pastors, now you wanna be like them? sad

I can send you a Lexus, if its for evangelism....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 13, 2013
ooman:

common LB, i thought you were against all those big pastors, now you wanna be like them? sad

I can send you a Lexus, if its for evangelism....

Ehem.....erm....if you can't beat them.......join them cheesy

Anyhoo, I was just kidding......I will just manage my honda pilot............ sad
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by barackohandso(m): 6:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nice sermon.

But I beg to differ sha oh: Practicalise atheism in Nigeria? That has impossible written all over it. Nigerians see these religious things two ways; You're either RELIGIOUS or EVIL. Write against any religious activity and you're an agent of the devil.

In America, well yes, but Africa, especially Nigeria, NO.

* puts offering in tithe bag*

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
barack_o_handso: Nice sermon.

But I beg to differ sha oh: Practicalise atheism in Nigeria? That has impossible written all over it. Nigerians see these religious things two ways; You're either RELIGIOUS or EVIL. Write against any religious activity and you're an agent of the devil.

In America, well yes, but Africa, especially Nigeria, NO.

* puts offering in tithe bag*

*pockets the tithe*

This is why I said "play the politics".

Did you see how Django and his white friend went to slave plantations to get to release Django's wife? They didnt go guns blazing and announcing their intent.....they went as slave buyers.....undercover.

I appear religious but I undermine religion when undercover....

#Planting atheist dvds in near the church youth video room etc

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:34pm On Oct 13, 2013
There's something off with this narrative...

You didn't specify what made Seuns business to fail. I don't think any belief or lack thereof will make or mar any business except in cases where it is the religious connections that help or hinder(as the case may be) progress, as is the case with Nigeria.

Be that as it may, I think the strategy for now should be to get more people to question their beliefs, especially the youths. We need to gather more numbers so that in the next, say 20 years we will have enough sceptics and irreligious people that will be able to influence politics and governance; make nigeria a truly secular state in terms of its laws and operation. There is no hope for our current crop of leaders so our priority should be for the youths and younger generation...

The priority now should be education, proper all round education. The next generation should have the ability to think properly and make rational decisions irrespective of their (un)belief...

It will be a long walk, probably out living us all but wherever we are, we should at least make effort to dispel the notion that atheists are evil people who can do no good. As for me, my specific discipline and skill set have made me somewhat indispensable in the Nigerian public health sector irrespective of my unbelief. I've had 2 immediate bosses who know I'm irreligious and it had had no negative impact on our work relationship although I'm careful around co-workers and patients...

Be professional, have integrity and try not to compromise on your values and when people eventually find out that you don't go to church or mosque, it will come as a shock and your respect will double...smiley

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
Mr Troll: There's something off with this narrative...

You didn't specify what made Seuns business to fail. I don't think any belief or lack thereof will make or mar any business except in cases where it is the religious connections that help or hinder(as the case may be) progress, as is the case with Nigeria.

Be that as it may, I think the strategy for now should be to get more people to question their beliefs, especially the youths. We need to gather more numbers so that in the next, say 20 years we will have enough sceptics and irreligious people that will be able to influence politics and governance; make nigeria a truly secular state in terms of its laws and operation. There is no hope for our current crop of leaders so our priority should be for the youths and younger generation...

The priority now should be education, proper all round education. The next generation should have the ability to think properly and make rational decisions irrespective of their (un)belief...

It will be a long walk, probably out living us all but wherever we are, we should at least make effort to dispel the notion that atheists are evil people who can do no good. As for me, my specific discipline and skill set have made me somewhat indispensable in the Nigerian public health sector irrespective of my unbelief. I've had 2 immediate bosses who know I'm irreligious and it had had no negative impact on our work relationship although I'm careful around co-workers and patients...

Be professional, have integrity and try not to compromise on your values and when people eventually find out that you don't go to church or mosque, it will come as a shock and your respect will double...smiley

Seun's business didnt fail because of belief or disbelief
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Mr Troll: There's something off with this narrative...

A belief or lack of it thereof will not change Nigeria.

infact removing religion will be like childsplay compared to serious issues like the quota-system and tribalism in Nigeria
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

infact removing religion will be like childsplay compared to serious issues like the quota-system and tribalism in Nigeria

Tribalism would be less difficult. There is little backlash from speaking against tribalism. Furthermore, younger ones are less tribalistic these days.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I'm not advocating for the abolishment of religion, just total separation from state.

That is one of the problems of Nigeria....

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 14, 2013
Mr Troll: I'm not advocating for the abolishment of religion, just total separation from state.

That is one of the problems of Nigeria....

Oh....now you know how it feels.

When you say that you want the religious situation in Nigeria to improve....some smartass heathen comes to say "removing all religion is wrong" as if that was what you said hat you wanted to do
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 8:11am On Oct 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

Oh....now you know how it feels.

When you say that you want the religious situation in Nigeria to improve....some smartass heathen comes to say "removing all religion is wrong" as if that was what you said hat you wanted to do

Lol. Sometimes you wonder what they are scared of undecided
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 14, 2013
Mr Troll:

Lol. Sometimes you wonder what they are scared of undecided

I also wonder.

I want atheism to grow in Nigeria but not by force. I would love to have talk shows and debates. But still, there are some atheists that will claim that I want to remove all traces of religion like some Stalinist.

Debates only change the minds of those who are willing to learn. No amount of debate will stop Joagbaje from believing in in tithes or texting demons
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by jayriginal: 9:11am On Oct 14, 2013
Logicboy03:
No amount of debate will stop Joagbaje from believing in in tithes or texting demons

grin
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

I also wonder.

I want atheism to grow in Nigeria but not by force. I would love to have talk shows and debates. But still, there are some atheists that will claim that I want to remove all traces of religion like some Stalinist.

Debates only change the minds of those who are willing to learn. No amount of debate will stop Joagbaje from believing in in tithes or texting demons
or Chibuebem aka Joshthefirst from using his own brain! grin
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ezme(m): 1:06pm On Oct 14, 2013
subscribing

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 14, 2013
Mr Troll: or Chibuebem aka Joshthefirst from using his own brain! grin

Or Olaadegbu posting christian falsehoods
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by onetrack(m): 5:12pm On Oct 14, 2013
Sorry I missed the latest sermon, I was at a 3 day revival at St. Mattress, where I spent almost the entire time in worship lying on my stomach, my side, and my back. Now I'm back and inspired to live the life according to our redeemer, the Holy Comforter. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Annunaki, Parisbookaddict...on Sunni And Shiit Islam / Jesus Is Not God – Reno Omokri / Why Cele People Dont Wear Shoes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.