Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,837 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) (10303 Views)

DOWNLOAD SERMON : THE POWER OF PRIORITY - BY DR. D. K. OLUKOYA / SERMON : The Portrait Of The Enemy - Bro. Gbile Akanni / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by ninja4life(m): 5:31pm On Oct 14, 2013
Picks up my bible heading to revival.make ASUU cancel their strike na.whistling.nice sermon if d story in d sermon were to happen in real life trust my nigerian brothers to ascribe tope's sucess to god and his seun's failure to lack of faith in god and trust my nigerian pastors to hammer d word tithe into seun's head using his atheist brother's failure as a weapon.na nigeria be dis where most of our reasoning.hmm
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
ninja4life: Picks up my bible heading to revival.make ASUU cancel their strike na.whistling.nice sermon if d story in d sermon were to happen in real life trust my nigerian brothers to ascribe tope's sucess to god and his seun's failure to lack of faith in god and trust my nigerian pastors to hammer d word tithe into seun's head using his atheist brother's failure as a weapon.na nigeria be dis where most of our reasoning.hmm

True talk bro!
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 15, 2013
[size=18pt]OPRAH WINFREY- YOU CANT BE AN ATHEIST IF YOU BELIEVE IN THE AWE AND WONDER OF THE WORLD[/size]

Diana Nyad is a truly remarkable woman. She made four unsuccessful attempts to swim from Cuba to Florida, but persevered and actually accomplished her goal on the fifth try. Now Nyad just happens to be an atheist, and said so to Oprah Winfrey in an interview that aired on Sunday. And Nyad was very open and honest about her worldview and how she’s able to appreciate the awe and the majesty of the earth despite her atheism. Oprah says she isn't an atheist.

Oprah Winfrey is one of the most popular African American people in the world. Unfortunately, she is still stuck with the religious ignorance that affects us blacks. Atheism is just a disbelief in God. An atheist can believe in spirituality. An atheist can feel that there's an energy surrounding all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hla3ibhUuCU

DIANA NYAD: I can stand at the beach’s edge with the most devout Christian, Jew, Buddhist, go on down the line, and weep with the beauty of this universe and be moved by all of humanity, all the billions of people who lived before us, who have loved and hurt and suffered. To me, my definition of God is humanity and is the love of humanity.

OPRAH: Well, I don’t call you an atheist then. I think if you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery, then that is what God is.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oprah-you-cant-be-an-atheist-if-you-believe-in-the-awe-and-wonder-of-the-world/
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2013
well, fortunately, Oprah is not an authority on atheism or religion....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: well, fortunately, Oprah is not an authority on atheism or religion....

True but so many christian in America and African Americans listen to her like a demi goddess....

This world is so unfair embarassed

Ignorance spreads fast.....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:37am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

True but so many christian in America and African Americans listen to her like a demi goddess....

This world is so unfair embarassed

Ignorance spreads fast.....
grin well, just give it time. it is a gradual process....
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: grin well, just give it time. it is a gradual process....

Too slow angry
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 15, 2013
Those who can should watch the video. You'd get to understand Oprah's comments and the context in which she made them.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:40am On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03:

Too slow angry
where are you rushing to? undecided
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars: Those who can should watch the video. You'd get to understand Oprah's comments and the context in which she made them.

Carry your Judas azz commot from here. Talking as if I didnt post the video and the quote
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: well, fortunately, Oprah is not an authority on atheism or religion....
And she wasn't trying to be. It was just an open honest discussion between two people.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
And she wasn't trying to be. It was just an open honest discussion between two people.

Smh
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:46am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars: Those who can should watch the video. You'd get to understand Oprah's comments and the context in which she made them.

you know what, I just did and I find Oprah distasteful. she sounded condescending and looked like she was having a private laugh at the lady. the lady though seems more Pantheist to me, much like @plaetton.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: you know what, I just did and I find Oprah distasteful. she sounded condescending and looked like she was having a private laugh at the lady. the lady though seems more Pantheist to me, much like @plaetton.
@bold: I didn't notice that. I'm not aware of Oprah's beliefs anyways, so let's leave it at that.

@textInRed: Plaetton describes himself as pantheistic atheist. I strongly believe that God does not exist. I'm atheist. It's dishonest to describe atheism as a lack of belief in God. You could as well say 'oh well, he exists but I don't believe in him' wink

Morning, bro. grin
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 6:59am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
@bold: I didn't notice that. I'm not aware of Oprah's beliefs anyways, so let's leave it at that.

@textInRed: Plaetton describes himself as pantheistic atheist. I strongly believe that God does not exist. I'm atheist. It's dishonest to describe atheism as a lack of belief in God. You could as well say 'oh well, he exists but I don't believe in him' wink

Morning, bro. grin
oga!

@bolded, check the little smile at the end of her first question... then listen to the tone of how she said EDIT "you consider yourself atheist?... but you're in the awe" as if ungodly people cannot appreciate beauty. that is the stereotype that pisses me off angry

do you have to believe in god to have sense?

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:

Morning, bro. grin

Question- what is a disbelief?
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: oga!

@bolded, check the little smile at the end of her first question... then listen to the tone of how she said "you're not a god person, but you're in the awe" as if ungodly people cannot appreciate beauty. that is the stereotype that pisses me off angry

Oh well. I think it's better to focus on Diana's answers; very smart, articulate and brilliant. I especially like her answer on souls. Funny world.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll:
erm, joshthefirst is proof. grin
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 7:07am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
erm, joshthefirst is proof. grin
actually, he proves the opposite...that when you believe in god you drop your common sense grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 15, 2013
Good to see that this sttarted a discussion.

Abeg, but Muskeeto/Amanfrommars,, grow up and stop trying to play nonsense here. Your first comment here was sentimental...trying to act as if I quoted Oprah out of context. wink
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 7:12am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
I strongly believe that God does not exist. I'm atheist. It's dishonest to describe atheism as a lack of belief in God. You could as well say 'oh well, he exists but I don't believe in him' wink

let me address this...

belief does not require proof, it requires faith. facts don't require belief, only acceptance(or rejection if you are delusional). do you have any proof of your belief @musky undecided maybe that @Italos thread was referring to you wink

saying he exists but I don't believe is irrational and delusional. we don't believe because there's no proof of his existence, simples!

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: let me address this...

belief does not require proof, it requires faith. facts don't require belief, only acceptance(or rejection if you are delusional). do you have any proof of your belief @musky undecided maybe that @Italos thread was referring to you wink

saying he exists but I don't believe is irrational and delusional. we don't believe because there's no proof of his existence, simples!

Thanks menn......

This muskeeto guy reminds me of this kind of atheist we were discussing here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1448901/atheist-hangout-update-oprah-atheists/5#18802483
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: let me address this...

Beliefs aren't just limited to faith, except you're talking about religious beliefs.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Beliefs
1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies belief.
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons

I prefer using analogies to illustrate my points, so please bear with me. Let's say I walk into an empty room and then you walk in later and tell me someone was in the room before me. I tell you that I met and saw no one in the room. I do not believe anyone had been in the room before me. The 'absence' of the said person is enough 'proof' for me. The little we know about the universe has shown no proof for or against God. Either side may be wrong, it's 50/50. For me, his absence is enough proof for me. A being that is bothered about what it's creation believes would make efforts to show himself to them. No king stays in obscurity. Yes, there may be a creator, but what if he/she/it too couldn't conquer death?
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: actually, he proves the opposite...that when you believe in god you drop your common sense grin grin grin
grin grin grin
Faith, the fuel on which bullshit runs...

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 7:32am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
Beliefs aren't just limited to faith, except you're talking about religious beliefs.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Beliefs
1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies belief.
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons

I prefer using analogies to illustrate my points, so please bear with me. Let's say I walk into an empty room and then you walk in later and tell me someone was in the room before me. I tell you that I met and saw no one in the room. I do not believe anyone had been in the room for me. The 'absence' of the said person is enough 'proof' for me. The little we know about the universe has shown no proof for or against God. Either side may be wrong, it's 50/50. For me, his absence is enough proof for me. A being that is bothered about what it's creation believes would make efforts to show himself to them. No king stays in obscurity. Yes, there may be a creator, but what if he/she/it too couldn't conquer death?
you know I was talking about religious beliefs na.

@bolded, surely you know that that is a fallacy right? absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. by your analogy, if I can not conclusively prove that there was someone in the room before you then the most logical option would be to suspend belief until evidence is provided. this is because there is still a logical possibility that someone indeed may have been in the room before you.

@red, this is where you miss it. that your definition is of most religious notions of god which frankly are full of absurdities. the most pertinent question will be...What would constitute conclusive evidence for god for us all? do we know? are we objective enough to recognize it when we see it?
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: you know I was talking about religious beliefs na.

@bolded, surely you know that that is a fallacy right? [b]absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. by your analogy, if I can not conclusively prove that there was someone in the room before you then the most logical option would be to suspend belief until evidence is provided[/b]. this is because there is still a logical possibility that someone indeed may have been in the room before you.

'Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence' sounds a lot like 'seeing things which are not seen' which is the biblical definition of faith. I see nothing wrong with making conclusions based on a lack of evidence; innocent until proven guilty. Imagine a judge keeping you on bail for years on end. That's the fate of the agnostic tongue Why not just pick a side?
For me faith is making a conclusion inspite of evidence to the contrary.

Mr Troll:
What would constitute conclusive evidence for god for us all? do we know? are we objective enough to recognize it when we see it?
We could begin with a huge question: is God objective? wink
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 7:57am On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
'Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence' sounds a lot like 'seeing things which are not seen' which is the biblical definition of faith. I see nothing wrong with making conclusions based on a lack of evidence; innocent until proven guilty. Imagine a judge keeping you on bail for years on end. That's the fate of the agnostic tongue Why not just pick a side?
For me faith is making a conclusion inspite of evidence to the contrary.
why pick a side when there's no evidence for either side you want to pick? there is no evidence for or against. its really simple, there is NO evidence.
@bold, that is so wrong! that you can not see something does not mean it isn't there, neither does it mean that it is there.

We could begin with a huge question: is God objective? wink

NOw you're talking. do we even know? I think he should be if he/she/it made everything undecided
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll:
why pick a side when there's no evidence for either side you want to pick? there is no evidence for or against. its really simple, there is NO evidence.
Pick a side to make things interesting. Sitting on the fence gets boring after a while. Do you believe bulletproof jazz exists? Why or why not? Is it possible for anyone to know anything with all certainty? Is the statement 'there will always be a tomorrow' true?

I hope I never start to dey digress sha. grin

Mr Troll:
@bold, that is so wrong! that you can not see something does not mean it isn't there, neither does it mean that it is there.
At the end it doesn't really matter or does it? You can believe an invisible lion's in a room and stay clear, or you can go in and have fun. NO point standing at the door pondering if to step in or remain outside, abi no be so?
angry grin

Mr Troll:
NOw you're talking. do we even know? I think he should be if he/she/it made everything undecided

Read my sig. wink
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by MrTroll(m): 1:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
aManFromMars:
Pick a side to make things interesting. Sitting on the fence gets boring after a while. Do you believe bulletproof jazz exists? Why or why not? Is it possible for anyone to know anything with all certainty? Is the statement 'there will always be a tomorrow' true?

I hope I never start to dey digress sha. grin

At the end it doesn't really matter or does it? You can believe an invisible lion's in a room and stay clear, or you can go in and have fun. NO point standing at the door pondering if to step in or remain outside, abi no be so?
angry grin

Read my sig. wink

See bro, it is alright not to know everything. I cannot categorically state that god does NOT exist. I do not possess enough knowledge to make that conclusion and it is not a matter of making anything interesting...BUT I can categorically state that all religious notions of god are mere fantasies and false. I hope you see the difference.

God is an abstract concept that can be made to fit any definition you wish(much like what Deepsight is doing) and as long as we don't know for sure what caused the big bang, the debate will continue

Nevertheless, that your Lion analogy doesn't just cut it. Its not a case of fear, I'm living my life based on my own principles and trying to pursue happiness...I'm humble enough to accept that I don't know everything but I'm also intelligent enough to detect and reject bullshit when I see it.
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll:

See bro, it is alright not to know everything. I cannot categorically state that god does NOT exist. I do not possess enough knowledge to make that conclusion and it is not a matter of making anything interesting...BUT I can categorically state that all religious notions of god are mere fantasies and false. I hope you see the difference.

God is an abstract concept that can be made to fit any definition you wish(much like what Deepsight is doing) and as long as we don't know for sure what caused the big bang, the debate will continue

Nevertheless, that your Lion analogy doesn't just cut it. Its not a case of fear, I'm living my life based on my own principles and trying to pursue happiness...I'm humble enough to accept that I don't know everything but I'm also intelligent enough to detect and reject bullshit when I see it.

Cool.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Joshthefirst(m): 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mr Troll: or Chibuebem aka Joshthefirst from using his own brain! grin
cool. It's an honour to be mocked publicly in an atheist hangout thread.

I formally join this thread by quoting a verse and making a claim.
I'll make the claim first: I AM NOT RELIGIOUS

Now l quote the verse. Don't let it discourage you guys. It's just that the man who spoke this verse has never been proved wrong.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
-Jesus Christ
Re: Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) by Joshthefirst(m): 6:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
Logicboy03: [size=18pt]OPRAH WINFREY- YOU CANT BE AN ATHEIST IF YOU BELIEVE IN THE AWE AND WONDER OF THE WORLD[/size]

Diana Nyad is a truly remarkable woman. She made four unsuccessful attempts to swim from Cuba to Florida, but persevered and actually accomplished her goal on the fifth try. Now Nyad just happens to be an atheist, and said so to Oprah Winfrey in an interview that aired on Sunday. And Nyad was very open and honest about her worldview and how she’s able to appreciate the awe and the majesty of the earth despite her atheism. Oprah says she isn't an atheist.

Oprah Winfrey is one of the most popular African American people in the world. Unfortunately, she is still stuck with the religious ignorance that affects us blacks. Atheism is just a disbelief in God. An atheist can believe in spirituality. An atheist can feel that there's an energy surrounding all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hla3ibhUuCU

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oprah-you-cant-be-an-atheist-if-you-believe-in-the-awe-and-wonder-of-the-world/
grin
I smell neo-colonialism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Annunaki, Parisbookaddict...on Sunni And Shiit Islam / What Is The Difference Between Miracle And Blessing? / 7 Secrets That Brought Bishop David Oyedepo To The Top In Ministry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.