Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (21163 Views)

The Allegory Of Adam And Eve / No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / The Man Who Saw Adam,abel,lot And Jonah (the Call) Must Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 4:08pm On Sep 29, 2013
Lobatan!! Plz , it seems everytin in d bible is Allegory by virtue of ur sku of thought..

Ok,.. Wen d Donkey spoke to balam, wud u say it was allegorical also?
obadiah777: oh yes Jesus feeding five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fish is an allegory. what is fish ? ( to fish for souls ) what is oil ? what is milk ? what is bread ? what is meat ? what is oil ? they all mean THE WORD. so when he fed five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, its allegory speech for saying 'he preached the word to 5000 people' wink wink

JOHN 6 VS 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by EreluY(f): 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
I keep wondering when Nigerians would wake up to the reality that the Old Testament contains ancient Hebrew mythologies and Jewish folklore--something akin to Ancient Mesopotamia, Greek and African myths. Period! From Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton to Yale, this is the view largely held by theologians and experts in the scientific study of religions, explaining why the Bible is no longer taken in the developed world as the inerrant word of God. Sadly, Nigerian religious studies departments are flooded (albeit, not exclusively) with locally trained champions! Only a few has degrees from Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, etc.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

mee too Im addicted to you nairaland
grin grin grin
well dayumm. this must be 'blame my nairaland addiction on obadiah day' smdh undecided grin

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Reference(m): 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: i would tell you what the fish represents but to break it down seeing as the book of jonah is 4 chapters deep would require a herculean effort. but the fish represents the roman empire. wink

You can infer anything out of the Word rightly or wrongly but the questions still stands. Did the content of these texts actually happen in life, time and space. The answer I believe is yes.

If you told Pontius Pilate that you are communicating with a group of faceless people on social media with a handheld device in real time, he'd probably order your designer cross for heresy.

The natural mind unable to handle things does nothing to negate their existence.

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Unluvable(f): 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: grin grin not with philfearon around, it wouldn't. he is a clown shocked grin

oh by the way philfearon is a perpetual scoffer of mine

Not really familiar with monikers. Probably you pi.ss him off with your ideologies grin grin

*i created a thread on this section once and no single comment grin grin embarassed
Why evils grin

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
dr dams: Lobatan!! Plz , it seems everytin in d bible is Allegory by virtue of ur sku of thought..

Ok,.. Wen d Donkey spoke to balam, wud u say it was allegorical also?
oh not everything is allegory. the parts that are not allegory are purely historical. like from the book of exodus down to numbers deuteronomy leviticus kings chronicles samuel esther ezra. now these books are not allegorical. the ones full of allegories are the prophetic books like genesis daniel, job, jonah, revelation, zechariah, and then the gospels matthew mark luke john. so those 10 books are the purely allegorical and symbolic books

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: well dayumm. this must be 'blame my nairaland addiction on obadiah day' smdh undecided grin

Beccause everyday is 'Scoff at Obadiah day', we decided to create this day specially for you' cool

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Reference(m): 4:25pm On Sep 29, 2013
A-town:

Can you prove your statement. If MAN wrote the bible, and we all know MAN lies, please tell me why anyone should believe what MAN wrote?
A lot of things have been twisted and lies told just to get people to believe. Again, please tell me how you know everything that was written actually happened because I find it hard to believe that those that wrote it are saints.

Then write your version and let's see how easy it will be to add, subtract, modify, modernise or anything you desire and then get it accepted as the 'WORD'. Don't you think that with all the advancement in the arts and sciences the bible would have been swept aside and replaced by a socially correct epistle. The truth is that it is not possible.

The Bible tells us how it was written, by whom and when. It is open, nothing hidden. It speaks about us not some alien on Pandora.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 29, 2013
Reference:

You can infer anything out of the Word rightly or wrongly but the questions still stands. Did the content of these texts actually happen in life, time and space. The answer I believe is yes.

If you told Pontius Pilate that you are communicating with a group of faceless people on social media with a handheld device in real time, he'd probably order your designer cross for heresy.

The natural mind unable to handle things does nothing to negate their existence.

[b]ahhh but you do err sire. allegory does not mean fiction. they did happen but the events are presented to you in a different manner. for example lets take a case study. biafra during the biafran war wanted to secede from nigeria because they felt they would do better by themselves, however during the war they got defeated and re-included back into the union. now how do i present this story allegorically ?

john and james are brothers but however john felt overshadowed by the paternal dominance of james and john decided that he wanted to move out of the home they share together so he can be his own man and make his own decisions. he presented the situation to james and james said he was too young to move out and he was crazy for even thinking of something like that. so they got into a brutal fight and james beat john up and unpacked his bags which he had packed ready to move out. john had no choice but to stay and not leave

now that is an allegorical presentation of nigeria, biafra and the civil war and the will to secede. now does john exist ? no. does james exist ? no. however is the story true ? yes. this is allegory not fiction. real story presented as something else[/b] wink

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
Unluvable*:

Not really familiar with monikers. Probably you pi.ss him off with your ideologies grin grin

*i created a thread on this section once and no single comment grin grin embarassed
Why evils grin

yeah i seem to piss so many people off for no reason. sound to me like they were pissed off before they opened my thread though, they just needed an excuse to vent. a trigger grin grin

really ? what was the thread called ?

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
micoco: mehn....i pity u so much. Sounding so intelligent to urself, forming bad guy, kai! I pity u bro

I pity you so much. Sounding dull and actually being ignorant. I pity you bro.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

Beccause everyday is 'Scoff at Obadiah day', we decided to create this day specially for you' cool
well dayumm. scripture do say in the last days there will be scoffers. grin end time tinz i tell ya

2 peter 3 vs 3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
philfearon:
Its very clear you dont believe in God...Allow those that believe in Him be...Stop disgracing your ignorance in Public...

Have I stopped you from posting or anything? Why don't you allow those that don't believe in this God of yours be?
I'm ignorant for questioning whether a man can live in a fish for three days? Please stop exposing your gullibility to the public.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
smart134:

the bible was written by God himself tru Men! Be wise

Then I'm sorry for such a God who didn't know the shape of the earth he created. I'm also sorry that he couldn't have done a better job.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
smart134:

i pity U..u need God in ur Life

I pity you. You need skepticism in your life.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
tosnat:

You will understand... everyone will eventually..

Do you understand? If you do, please explain how a man can live in a fish for three days.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:37pm On Sep 29, 2013
SIR KOL!:
my dear, the power of God is beyond human comprehension so wat u r saying is out of place!! I guess if u have heard dat a powerful Juju man from Benin did such u would hv belvd without doubt

No I won't have believed it.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
Its alphaa: how big do u think the biggest fishes in the world are

Not big enough for a man to live in them for three days.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
hayubee: A whale is a mammal and not a fish! Me thinks its a shark cos datz the biggest fish!

Do you think an adult male can live in a shark for three days?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
thehomer:

Do you think an adult male can live in a shark for three days?
jonah may have been a midget though ? like aki and pawpaw cheesy

JK of course. story is purely allegorical

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: well dayumm. scripture do say in the last days there will be scoffers. grin end time tinz i tell ya

2 peter 3 vs 3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

all these for the greater good. All this to show tht you are doing the lords work. So if I were you Id have a beer for every scoffer. cool cool cool
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 4:54pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: jonah may have been a midget though ? like aki and pawpaw cheesy

JK of course. story is purely allegorical

Did the writers believe it was allegorical? If so, what did they think Jonah, the boat, the sea, Nineveh and the sailors represented?

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
Reference:

Then write your version and let's see how easy it will be to add, subtract, modify, modernise or anything you desire and then get it accepted as the 'WORD'. Don't you think that with all the advancement in the arts and sciences the bible would have been swept aside and replaced by a socially correct epistle. The truth is that it is not possible.

The Bible tells us how it was written, by whom and when. It is open, nothing hidden. It speaks about us not some alien on Pandora.

Here's where you are wrong. At the time, people didn't know better so they had to believe and accept whatever they were fed. What you see happening nowadays is that people are more enlightened and realize they have been lied to. Back in the days, people thought the earth was flat and they didn't know how a rainbow is formed that is why they believed the stories about rainbows being a sign not to destroy the earth with floods. Tell that to a 5year old now and he/she will open up google on android and slap your face.

The truth is people believed it back then out of fear. A lot of the stories are similar to the myths we have even in Africa. The only difference is that ours in Africa have been debunked.
According to your last statement, you state that with all the advancements in science, that the bible would have been swept aside.
Well it already is. The only thing holding it together is people living in denial, fear, and holding some sort of faith.
Don't get me wrong. I believe in God and I believe that is between me and my God. I do not need anyone or any book to tell me that I need to be a good person. God gave us brains for a reason. I believe if I am good to my fellow man, that is all it takes.

Also, the reason the Bible gained so much widespread popularity is because of the "Caucasian" domination of the earth through travel conquests and colonization.
Why is it that we as AFRICANS never knew of most the things preached in the bible until we were colonized and enslaved?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by 2scorehigh(m): 5:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
*In James Hadley Chase voice* OP, believe this; you believe anything...
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
Mr Imam use ur real name and stop fooling around.
Ur quran is notin but lies and crap!
thehomer:

I pity you so much. Sounding dull and actually being ignorant. I pity you bro.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 5:39pm On Sep 29, 2013
THE STORY IS ALLEGORICAL....GOD AINT NO MAGIC MAN NOR A VOODOO MAN...... LETS STOP DEBATING THINGS THAT DONT NEED....

SEA= PEOPLE

FISH[ ROMAN EMPIRE(GENTILE NATION)

PUT 1+1 TOGETHER.....

and i belief jonah aint a person....its a nation.....

obadiah what do you think....
i am still a leaning at the master's feet though...
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

all these for the greater good. All this to show tht you are doing the lords work. So if I were you Id have a beer for every scoffer. cool cool cool
lol i did yesterday. have a lil bit left for tonight wink

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
thehomer:

Did the writers believe it was allegorical? If so, what did they think Jonah, the boat, the sea, Nineveh and the sailors represented?
jonah is israel
the sea is the world population
nineveh is the gentiles
the sailors are the leaders of the gentile nations
wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by wiegraf: 6:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
~ZN~:

What? Are you a child to believe santa claus exists?

You believe in god? If you do that, do you actually have a problem with my belief in santa? What are you smoking?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by philfearon(m): 6:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: modify the quote. i modified my post slightly wink wink
didnt see anytin different!
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
mcfynest: THE STORY IS ALLEGORICAL....GOD AINT NO MAGIC MAN NOR A VOODOO MAN...... LETS STOP DEBATING THINGS THAT DONT NEED....

SEA= PEOPLE

FISH[ ROMAN EMPIRE(GENTILE NATION)

PUT 1+1 TOGETHER.....

and i belief jonah aint a person....its a nation.....

obadiah what do you think....
i am still a leaning at the master's feet though...
you right chief. jonah is israel wink wink

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
philfearon:
didnt see anytin different!
ahh nevermind. are you coming around to my way of seeing things ? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Everything About President Buhari Is Deceptive And Selective" - CAN / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? / Why Pator Chris Okotie Divorced His Wife Stephanie Henshaw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.