Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (21202 Views)

The Allegory Of Adam And Eve / No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / The Man Who Saw Adam,abel,lot And Jonah (the Call) Must Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: i already filled in the gaps look harder

to do the whole 4 chapters ? shytttt that would take like 6 hours or so. shocked grin

Damn!! need to get mi eyes checked big time.... I was still seeing the gaps. Sorry about that embarassed embarassed

Okay, you can do it anytime at your free time. To me, I know I don't really need it now but I dont know about the others. Thatnks for the comprehensive format.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mcfynest(m): 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: i need deliverance grin grin

JK ermm yeah what better way to chill on a saturday night right ? a lil bit of wine dont harm nobody. in fact Christ was known to love drinking wine

ahn ahn bro obadiah.....

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

Damn!! need to get mi eyes checked big time.... I was still seeing the gaps. Sorry about that embarassed embarassed

Okay, you can do it anytime at your free time. To me, I know I don't really need it now but I dont know about the others. Thatnks for the comprehensive format.

lol yeah i had filled it out like 20 minutes ago sef lol. been feeling lazy lately though. since i got the mod job. now i know why mods hardly make posts. you become battle weary cuz its complaints 24 7. you got enough complaints to deal with without adding to it with controversial posts of your own tongue

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 29, 2013
mcfynest:

ahn ahn bro obadiah.....
waz good with ya chief ? trust all is well now which one is ahn ahn ? tongue

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by acstan(m): 7:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
it is only non christians that will argue about the great power of GOD.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
MEILYN: grin grin
sup bro MEILYN wink
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by MEILYN(m): 7:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
Erm Erm @Obadiah dis Jonah Story is talking about the Israelites huh? Israelite were stiff necked, so the Gentile Nation captured The Israelite. E.t.c E.t.c Slaves blablabla, you know where am going?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by MEILYN(m): 7:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: sup bro MEILYN wink
am gud bro... This Jonah story hmmmmmmm looks familiar lol... Prophesy Prophesy.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: lol yeah i had filled it out like 20 minutes ago sef lol. been feeling lazy lately though. since i got the mod job. now i know why mods hardly make posts. you become battle weary cuz its complaints 24 7. you got enough complaints to deal with without adding to it with controversial posts of your own tongue

I seriously didnt see it embarassed, you always write in bold so i was expecting it to be in bold thats why. Nah not laziness, stress. You are stressed out. Handling scoffers plus this mod job where 99% is complaints upon complaints will surely stress one out. Sorry, you need to rest, like sleeping beauty rest...sleep for 10 days straight grin grin. lol jk. Sorry, just chill with any exigesis for now and concentrate on the mod job, this mod thingy would peak and then enter its trough and before you know it, you are good to go. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by philfearon(m): 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2013
thehomer:

Well with this rambling and poorly thought out response I have little to add to your ignorant display.
Good luck to you in your pursuit of ignorance.
Onye ara na akpo onye ara onye ara na ebe o na apu ala!!
I knew That was what you will say,and you did....
Many have taken your path,and it led them to no Where!! Repent,and seek Your God,your Creator! For ye know not how you came to be....Some of Your mates were terminated at Conception....
Jeremiah31:20 "Israel{thehomer},you are My dearest Son,the child i love best.Whenever i mention your name,i think of you with Love.My heart goes out to you;i will be merciful"..
Jeremiah33:3 "call to me,and i will answer You;i will tell you Wonderful Things that you know Nothing about"
The Lord God is still open,to welcome u back,that thou might be saved from Eternal Damnation,and shame Satan....
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by godsI(m): 7:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
Only a non-chritian can post this and be free of being termed a lummox. If it were a christian or rather Church-goer, then you might call the Bible: a story book. So are you a church goer@poster?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 29, 2013
hrhobi1: Well, we have no reason to believe it was a special fish. Wat we are told is that God was involved, GOD had prepared a fish. God is the special one. When the donkey spake, when the animals came to Adam to be named, when the animals came to Noah's ark, when the bush was on fire nd was not burned, when the Red Sea parted, it was not because they were special,it was because the special God was involved.

Thank you case closed.

The question is, who told you and why you believe that person? Why do you simply believe everything the white man told you?
You mention Noah's ark. You mean to tell me you believe that story? The one where he picked every animal and including them on the boat? Did he include dinosaurs as well? Lets face it, most of these things are just stories/myths
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 8:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
philfearon:
Onye ara na akpo onye ara onye ara na ebe o na apu ala!!
I knew That was what you will say,and you did....
Many have taken your path,and it led them to no Where!! Repent,and seek Your God,your Creator! For ye know not how you came to be....Some of Your mates were terminated at Conception....
Jeremiah31:20 "Israel{thehomer},you are My dearest Son,the child i love best.Whenever i mention your name,i think of you with Love.My heart goes out to you;i will be merciful"..
Jeremiah33:3 "call to me,and i will answer You;i will tell you Wonderful Things that you know Nothing about"
The Lord God is still open,to welcome u back,that thou might be saved from Eternal Damnation,and shame Satan....

Tell your God to reach me on my mobile. I'm sure he has my number. I'll be expecting him to call me within an hour after this post is made. When he calls, I'll let you know the substance of our discussion.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 8:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
obadiah777: and that is exactly why i have stopped casting pearls before swines. waste of my time. wink wink

No, you can't cast pearls before anyone or anything because you don't have pearls, you have muck and we'll all be better off if you kept this muck to yourself.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by philfearon(m): 8:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
thehomer:

Tell your God to reach me on my mobile. I'm sure he has my number. I'll be expecting him to call me within an hour after this post is made. When he calls, I'll let you know the substance of our discussion.
Do not Put The Lord Your God to Test!! But since you have done that Already,Wait and See!!!....
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by TheSaintz: 10:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
A-town:

The question is, who told you and why you believe that person? Why do you simply believe everything the white man told you?
You mention Noah's ark. You mean to tell me you believe that story? The one where he picked every animal and including them on the boat? Did he include dinosaurs as well? Lets face it, most of these things are just stories/myths
I'm amaze when I read post on this forum and I ask myself why people don't engage in reading any more
Do you know that there is thousands of years between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2
Do you know that there was earth before this earth you know now
Do you know that Dinasours existed before Man was Created
Do you know that Neniveh was more cosmopolitan than Las Vegas and had no respect for Religion in anyway
Do you know that the jews hated that city with a passion
Do you know that Jonah spent less time preaching in that city because he actually wanted God to distroy them
Do u know that Jonah did just a days walk in the city instead of a 3 days walk around the city
Do you know that jonah actually didn't do the job he was sent to do
Do you know that he went and stayed a distance from the city to actually see God distroy them
Do you know that d cronic secular people believe and told their king
So ask yourself what actually convince the people that they repented quickly
Was it jonahs voice or a slimy man with his skin like that of a newborn baby on a very popular beach
Pls spend some time reading books on history from most countries. Even spending time with discovery channel will help you and as a bible student you will be able to fit the piece better
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Sep 29, 2013
TheSaintz:
I'm amaze when I read post on this forum and I ask myself why people don't engage in reading any more
Do you know that there is thousands of years between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2
Do you know that there was earth before this earth you know now
Do you know that Dinasours existed before Man was Created
Do you know that Neniveh was more cosmopolitan than Las Vegas and had no respect for Religion in anyway
Do you know that the jews hated that city with a passion
Do you know that Jonah spent less time preaching in that city because he actually wanted God to distroy them
Do u know that Jonah did just a days walk in the city instead of a 3 days walk around the city
Do you know that jonah actually didn't do the job he was sent to do
Do you know that he went and stayed a distance from the city to actually see God distroy them
Do you know that d cronic secular people believe and told their king
So ask yourself what actually convince the people that they repented quickly
Was it jonahs voice or a slimy man with his skin like that of a newborn baby on a very popular beach
Pls spend some time reading books on history from most countries. Even spending time with discovery channel will help you and as a bible student you will be able to fit the piece better

Wetin be all the story wey this one dey type. We know dinosaurs existed before man because of SCIENCE and fossils. The holy books did not tell us that. All the stories you posted were written by MAN. Please tell me why I should believe them. Why did we have to rely on fossils and scientific discoveries to know that dinosaurs exist? Why didn't the books give a hint as to the existence of dinosaurs? The only reason all the stories that exist seem so implausible is because a lot of lies have been told.
My question still remains. Why would I believe a book written by MAN?
MAN has been deceptive and has been lieing since existence. Who are you to tell me that MAN did not lie in the books in order to get people to believe?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by PedroJP(m): 11:35pm On Sep 29, 2013
fish here could mean the shark, whale or any other big sea animal. Just a matter of knowing d exact word used in the hebrew translation. It doesn't really mean a small fish

I'm telling those who see it as a joke to say a full grown adult will live in a small fish for three days. Dat sea creature dat swallowed Jonah could have been written as " animal from the sea" in the hebrew translation and English translated it to "fish"
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Faalo(m): 12:11am On Sep 30, 2013
Judas2013:

Each time christians use the Jonah story i always laugh. Christians can believe anything sha! Anyway as long as their are ignorant people on the planet,the rich will remain rich.
Bleep U̶̲̥̅̊ for saying dat, un believer
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by texanomaly(f): 1:24am On Sep 30, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

mee too Im addicted to you nairaland
grin grin grin

It appears you have a fan club. wink
*comes into fan club meeting dressed in disguise* cool tongue

3 Likes

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by akandejames: 3:55am On Sep 30, 2013
dr dams:
just Curious the kind of Fish it would have been. God works in a Mysterious way cos this beat scientific theories and its definately not a Whale..

Or is it a Story that has underlying meaning using the Sea, Jonah & the fish as a case study?

This is an excerpt from the Qur'an in response to the thread:

point 1:
[068:048] So, wait with patience for the Decision of your Lord, and be not like the Companion of the Fish – when he cried out (to Us) while he was in deep sorrow. (See Verse 21:87)

[068:049] Had not a Grace from his Lord reached him, he would indeed have been (left in the stomach of the fish, but We forgave him), so he was cast off on the naked shore, while he was to be blamed.

[068:050] Then his Lord chose him and made him of the righteous.

point 2:

[021:087] And (remember) Dhun-Nûn [Yûnus (Jonah)], when he went off in anger, and imagined that We shall not punish him (i.e. the calamities which had befallen him)! But he cried through the darkness (saying): "Lâ ilâhâ illâ Anta [none has the right to be worshipped but You (O Allâh)], Glorified (and Exalted) are You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrong doers."

[021:088] So, We answered his call, and delivered him from the distress. And thus We do deliver the believers (who believe in the Oneness of Allâh, abstain from evil and work righteousness).

Learning more from our holy books and trustworthy clerics would be of great favour but it begins with YOU to arm yourself with knowlegde
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by emmanuelanjili(m): 4:23am On Sep 30, 2013
The Fish was a real one,and Jonah survive inside that fish by God's power,since God only intends to draws Jonah's attention that it is wrong of him to ignore the Ninevites.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by baysol: 7:45am On Sep 30, 2013
dr dams:
just Curious the kind of Fish it would have been. God works in a Mysterious way cos this beat scientific theories and its definately not a Whale..

Or is it a Story that has underlying meaning using the Sea, Jonah & the fish as a case study?

ABEG GO ASK MR JONAH GOODLUCK HE GO GIVE YOU ANSWER TO YOUR MUMU QUESTION.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 8:03am On Sep 30, 2013
philfearon:
Do not Put The Lord Your God to Test!! But since you have done that Already,Wait and See!!!....

I waited but your lord didn't call. What happened? Didn't you tell him to call? Or wasn't he there to make the call? What excuse will you make for him next?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by philfearon(m): 8:12am On Sep 30, 2013
thehomer:

I waited but your lord didn't call. What happened? Didn't you tell him to call? Or wasn't he there to make the call? What excuse will you make for him next?
He Kept you alive to see this morning,givin u another opportunity to come back to Him...Some people couldnt make it to this morning cuz they died from their sleep..You dont know the Battle He fought,He fights and is still fighting over you...You are not better than Those who died last night..You were not even aware of What happened in the 6-8hrs you slept...BUT YOU WOKE UP....The Lord God has called You!!
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by philfearon(m): 8:17am On Sep 30, 2013
obadiah777:
Bro,Nineveh and Bethsaida existed...Therefore,if God wanted to do an allegory,He wouldnt use real Places or real Events....For instance,THE PARABLES were specifically called Parables cuz they didnt happen,but it was used as Lesson...Whatever interpretation you are giving it outside of what it represents is your out of your own pathetic thoughts....You dont sit in that ur tiny rooms and speak of Existed places as Allegory or symbolic whatever!!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineveh
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethsaida
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Kylexb(m): 8:34am On Sep 30, 2013
Judas2013:

Each time christians use the Jonah story i always laugh. Christians can believe anything sha! Anyway as long as their are ignorant people on the planet,the rich will remain rich.
mr JUDAS..you must be the second version of JUDAS Iscariot..i would think your lineage would have learnt its lesson..i just hope you wont 'kick the bucket' the manner your older version did..if you don't know he hung himself
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by rosamaris: 10:30am On Sep 30, 2013
you will never believe anything until you get to hell and then it will be too late to believe.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by denixii: 1:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
obadiah777: oh yes Jesus feeding five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fish is an allegory. what is fish ? ( to fish for souls ) what is oil ? what is milk ? what is bread ? what is meat ? what is oil ? they all mean THE WORD. so when he fed five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, its allegory speech for saying 'he preached the word to 5000 people' wink wink

JOHN 6 VS 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
what abt d 12 baskets that was remaining.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by sparta(f): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
Image123:

It was a big fish no doubt. The Bible says GOD had prepred the fish. The God clause in the event made it supernatural, so you do not have to expect the normal for God had prepared the fish. If God had not prepared the fish, Jonas would not have lasted three days in it.
you are truly smart for with God all things are possible. So much sceptisism on nairaland these days, seun atheistic spirit at work.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2013
denixii: what abt d 12 baskets that was remaining.
means there is more preaching to be done aka there is more people to be fed wink
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
thehomer:

No, you can't cast pearls before anyone or anything because you don't have pearls, you have muck and we'll all be better off if you kept this muck to yourself.
smdh cry dayum scoffers wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MFM 2016 Annual 70 Days Fasting And Prayers Begins Today Monday 8th August / Salvation Ministries 5 Nights Of Glory 2020: Everything You Need To Know / Becky And Paul Enenche Celebrate Christmas With Widows, Orphans, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.