Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,863 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall (19957 Views)

Four Suspects Of Westgate Mall Massacre Appeared In Nairobi Court / Kenya: Nairobi's Westgate Mall Siege Over / Mandela's Granddaughter Fighting For Control Of His Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by supersun1(m): 2:52pm On Sep 23, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya (CNN) - Kenyan forces assaulted terrorists in Nairobi's Westgate Shopping Mall on Monday afternoon, killing two and claiming to take control of all floors of the building despite sporadic gunfire and the continued presence of the attackers inside.

It was unclear if any hostages remained inside the building, but authorities expect the number to be "very, very minimal," if any remain, Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said at a news briefing.

Most had already been evacuated, he said Monday, the third day of the siege.

The Kenya Red Cross said that 62 people had died since the siege began Saturday. The agency had previously reported 69 deaths. Some bodies been counted twice, it said on Twitter.

Dark smoke that rose from the building after Monday's assault was from fires set by the gunmen to distract forces from the assault, Lenku said.

Terrorists appear to be on the run inside the mall, which Lenku said had been sealed off to prevent their escape.

"We are in charge of the situation, our people are safe," he said.

Before the assault, terrorists from the Somalia-based Al-Shabaab group were believed to have about 10 hostages on one level of the mall, security officials said.

Kenya assault raises new fears about Somali recruitment

An unspecified number of hostages then were freed overnight, the head of the Kenyan police force said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/world/africa/kenya-mall-attack/

If Al-Shabab carried out such an attack on Kenya in response to Kenya's 'peace keeping mission' in somalia, where does Nigeria stand in this "Why you put mouth" terrorist strikes?

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by supersun1(m): 3:06pm On Sep 23, 2013
Considering the fact that Nigeria is an active 'player' in African Peace Keeping missions, one begins to wonder if our security operatives are prepared for the kind of attack kenya just witnessed. I think its high time we start educating each other on "Things to do and not to do when you find yourself in a terror situation".

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by supersun1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 23, 2013
I feel very sad each time Islam is coined a 'Religion of Violence'. When in fact it preaches peace. Sometimes I feel the violence is brought forward by poverty which paves way for 'Brain washing' and an eventual radicalism. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

13 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by halfcurrent(m): 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2013
One area that seems to impress me about the Kenyan forces is their response time to the attack. They really responded on time.

6 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Jayses(m): 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
I hope they have oo.
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by scribble: 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
halfcurrent: One area that seems to impress me about the Kenyan forces is their response time to the attack. They really responded on time.
Typical 9ja Police arrive at a crime scene when all action must have ended and the opposition/enemy is gone!
If a robber apprehends a 9ja Police Officer in his private Residence, he jumps his fence and escapes, like he was a well trained thief!

16 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by hernars(m): 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
@times nigeria is not worth the critics we give her...when i get to hear about d happenings in other part of d world all i could say is 'thank God am a nigerian'

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Mccullum: 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
Yes the Nigerians need to educates if they find themselves in such situation, because what Kenya is facing now it's big threat to their peace and economy, may God help us here in Nigeria to defeat terrorism and let it be history in our country.
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by likitaboka(f): 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
The swift response from the kenyan forces helped a great. There were all equipped and ready for the terrorist. I wonder if na naija wetin for happen?

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2013
In as much as Nigeria should be prepared for such situations, they are likely to be aimed at the Northern Areas of the Country which as it is has more Muslims than Christians, there is a merely a 15% possibility of such attacks happening around the South South region, so the NORTHERN parts of Nigeria should be their prime target if at all they have such plans, and as such should be enough reason for the Nigeria Government to concentrate on beefing up the security forces around those AREAS with the South South ruled out as they can take care of themselves as it is regarding situations like this.
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Emelcee: 5:40pm On Sep 23, 2013
SHOCKER , I just heard from my land lady that deals on fish that a BOAT CAPSIZES AT ISHIET IN AKWA IBOM STATE KILLING MORE THAN 200 PEOPLE...that's a bad news in my state today... No link yet but am 100% sure that its true.
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2013
D cowboy better mind his business!
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by georgecso(m): 5:42pm On Sep 23, 2013
These terrorist are bunch of cowards who derive joy in killing defenseless women and children. One thing remain certain, something is wrong with the source(s) of their inspiration.

3 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 23, 2013
Glad things are under control. Nigeria is indeed an active player in peacekeeping missions, hope Nigeria is not a target... We won't want any external terrorist organisation coming, just like what was done in Kenya...Islam preaches peace but ironically, it has been the root of so much violence since its inception. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Fazhy: 5:42pm On Sep 23, 2013
That's a good development.

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2013
With all due respect to Muslims, why is that all the terrorist groups in the world are all from Islam? Can someone tell me if there is a place in the quaran that encourage killing of innocent people? I need an answer.

5 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Shyeikulislam1(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2013
I invite u to come to the north and stay with us to solve your proohesy
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2013
Emelcee: SHOCKER , I just heard from my land lady that deals on fish that a BOAT CAPSIZES AT ISHIET IN AKWA IBOM STATE KILLING MORE THAN 200 PEOPLE...that's a bad news in my state today... No link yet but am 100% sure that its true.

And Akwa Ibom is celebrating 26years of state creation today..? Ritual things
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 23, 2013
Emelcee: SHOCKER , I just heard from my land lady that deals on fish that a BOAT CAPSIZES AT ISHIET IN AKWA IBOM STATE KILLING MORE THAN 200 PEOPLE...that's a bad news in my state today... No link yet but am 100% sure that its true.

Say after me, 'I'm kidding'

2 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by nerodenero: 5:45pm On Sep 23, 2013
hernars: @times nigeria is not worth the critics we give her...when i get to hear about d happenings in other part of d world all i could say is 'thank God am a nigerian'
From this your perspective, I would say yes-yes but if you look at it from another angle, you wont be proud you a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by a29truth(m): 5:45pm On Sep 23, 2013
Violence is totally bad should be condemned.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by coogar: 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2013
super_sun: Considering the fact that Nigeria is an active 'player' in African Peace Keeping missions, one begins to wonder if our security operatives are prepared for the kind of attack kenya just witnessed. I think its high time we start educating each other on "Things to do and not to do when you find yourself in a terror situation".

terrorists won't try that nonsense with the nigerian police. i repeat, no terrorist group can try such nonsense with nigerian police. their ways are too crude & medieval to even negotiate with terrorist groups in a hostage situation.

the same nigerian police that shoot at criminals in custody, danfo bus drivers, etc? they would quickly accept the collateral damage and storm the building. if every one of the hostages die, then so be it.

16 Likes

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by ajayi147(m): 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
God help us
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by creativemusic: 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by mysticgal(f): 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
Thank God,,,,smiley
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Shyeikulislam1(m): 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2013
@ michael park the answer is a NO. We are just at the receiving end. Muslims have continue to condemn such atrocities. if u are intreseted for more info on islam email me at sadiqabu65@yahoo.com
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by kenbee(f): 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ok, atleast it is not just in 9ja.
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by badmeat(m): 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2013
Get them and kill them allangry
Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by Alfoasegh: 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2013
super_sun: Considering the fact that Nigeria is an active 'player' in African Peace Keeping missions, one begins to wonder if our security operatives are prepared for the kind of attack kenya just witnessed. I think its high time we start educating each other on "Things to do and not to do when you find yourself in a terror situation".

Nigerians live with terrorists everyday so it won't be a big deal -Boko Haram, ND Delta militants, Armed Robbbers, Ritualists, SSS killing innocent citizens, Govt. officials harrassing innocent motorists, Ra.p.ists, Yerima nad his child-moletsers, etc, etc.

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall by akpomeme(m): 5:55pm On Sep 23, 2013
[/quote]

If Al-Shabab carried out such an attack on Kenya in response to Kenya's 'peace keeping mission' in somalia, where does Nigeria stand in this "Why you put mouth" terrorist strikes?[/quote]

I Don download quran dey learn this religion of peace... amina name dey important. boko can copy sha... dem fit try dem self. This one boko get bullet pass army, our safety is in doubt.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

White House Releases Transcript Of Trump Call With Ukraine / David Beasley: Get Ready For ‘Hell,’ UN Food Chief Warns Amid Ukraine Shockwaves / ISRAEL Warns UN Security Council Of Regional War If Hezbollah Is Not Disarmed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.