Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,978 members, 7,828,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? (6972 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 30, 2013
grin

Uyi, I remember how I never indulged even when it was easily available in CU back then. Lol. Now, lipsrsealed

@folykaze: a few highlights from your link

Belief in magic: Oogun, egbogi and isegun refer to magic. When magic is used to cure or prevent disease, it is called medicine. Attempts to protect a person from sorcery, improve their financial situation, bringing good luck, etc. are referred to as magic.

Belief in witchcraft: Aje, eye and osonga refer to witchcraft. This is typically performed by female witches who are believed to harm people or property through the use of their psychic power.

Belief in sorcery: Oso, oogun ika or oogun buburu refer to sorcery or bad magic. These involve attempts to harm or kill persons or destroy their property through the use of negative rituals. 2
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:45am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:
Men do transcend labels. Labels are just to give a sense of uniformity. They rarely achieve that purpose, no two men were born to think alike.

That being said, quick test.

@Folykaze: do you believe in a creator/god? Why is Ifa so important to you?

Nothing like creator in yoruba spirituality. God in Yoruba is different from the western depicted one. I believe everything is God....etymology of Eledumare indicates that it is the infinity consciousness.

My journey to Ifa is a long story. I have been used to investigating things out for myself right from been a boy. It not important to me though. I just love it as a yoruba son. I took interest in it when my AA friend i meant in Osun blast me for not knowing anything about my culture and history. It part of knowledge to me.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by bolaino(m): 8:45am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

U don smoke am ? As for me and my house, we don't do weed. Not a teetotaller but I rarely drink alcohol and never smoked. But I'll admit the way some dudes, Wiz Khalifa in particular, smoke weed makes it look cool.
mannnnnn, u should try smoking weed once mann, personally I don't drink alcohol, I've not tasted alcohol in over 3 years, but I love weed, I bake little muffins of cake and put weed inside. Very delicious mann, take em with me everywhere I go.

As per the looking cool bit, weed is not about looking cool, it's about being at peace with one's self, it's about oneness, unity and love, weed is the greatest tool given to us by God to assist us go through some situations, weed is a direct contact to the astral, it's very deep. And my good friend uyi, I would like you to try it, even if it's just for once, just try it, and u make your decision later, ONE LOVE

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 30, 2013
Lwkmd.

Na to go open ganja thread...

angry

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by bolaino(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars: Lwkmd.

angry
I dey tell u bros, I need that thread, lol, if I won create that kind topic which section I go put am?

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars: Lwkmd.

angry

Done, check my profile. Health section. wink

No more weed sermons here, bolaino tongue

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by bolaino(m): 8:57am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:

Done, check my profile. Health section. wink

No more weed sermons here, bolaino tongue
yes sire.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 8:58am On Sep 30, 2013
@ aManFromMars: Now they are still students who take weed and codeine, some on a regular.

@ bolaino: Yours reminds me of an experience by an aunt who ate rice from her brother who usually takes weed on a regular, unknown to her the guy has a habit of mixing weed in his rice. She ate it and stated how the world turned upside down and her legs felt like huge weights. Abeg ! Different strokes for some folks.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:08am On Sep 30, 2013
Im typing response to your question manfrommars. Pls spare me some min
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:16am On Sep 30, 2013
aManFromMars:
Men do transcend labels. Labels are just to give a sense of uniformity. They rarely achieve that purpose, no two men were born to think alike.

That being said, quick test.

@Folykaze: do you believe in a creator/god? Why is Ifa so important to you?

You call it magic because you see it as such. If you understand the techniques and principle involve, it becomes act and skillful practise.

What is Egbogi if not herb? Is that magic?

Isegun....healing through medicine. Is that magic?

Witchcraft to me is different to your thinking. Witch is not flying human.....Gods are energy while the process of relating with them is witchcrafting. Witchcraft is the link between Gods and physical world. It more like internet when you type and store or send a document in or from your computer, poweredul cameras of engines such as Google, Yahoo, Hotmail pick up the document to the minutest details. Store the document in giant memory banks, send what offer to be sent to be accessed from any computer in the world by the identified beneficiary; analyze, juggle and arrange the information under a mirage of themes such as name of author, subject matters, language and so on, to make document easily accessible and functional to a verity of users around the world at the press of the button. In the same way, everything we say or do in life is recorded in a giant spiritual memory bank and can then be accessed with the help of combination of natural elements such as leaves, oils, fresh blood, coupled with spoken sound energy. This combination form some configuration in the spiral world. To enter the computer internet, we first switch on electricity main, then the computer, then the communication gadget to engage some special engines such as Yahoo or Google. This special engines are Gods...sango, Ogun and others. Surfing on the computer internet to check out websites, send e-nails is the equivalence of praying, meditating, enquiring. What we got from our cyber space will be decode and apply to our world. Witchcraft is the spiritual internet link and information and action processing catalyst of human interaction with Gods. To engage Gods, you need witchcrafting....this is kept secret because some people could misuse it. I dont like calling Aje 'witch' in english. We both agree that english dont have vocabulary for most terms in other languages.....aje to me is more like guru. So I dont see magic here.

Oso, bad charm and others are not magic. If you dont know something or how I get to do it doesn't make it magic. You seek for the knowledge and it become normal thing.... The military use different kind of arms. Some baton contain electrical energy, some chemicals, and configurations of things which can be use against or for protecting person. It evil to you but good to them. Nothing like magic here.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ aManFromMars: Now they are still students who take weed and codeine, some on a regular.

@ bolaino: Yours reminds me of an experience by an aunt who ate rice from her brother who usually takes weed on a regular, unknown to her the guy has a habit of mixing weed in his rice. She ate it and stated how the world turned upside down and her legs felt like huge weights. Abeg ! Different strokes for some folks.
lolz. Have you heard of monkeytail?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:19am On Sep 30, 2013
Infomizer: I think atheism denotes the absence of belief in a god. Abi? If, going by your definitons of spirituality, it does not require the belief in a god, then one can easily illify that they are compatible. However, I would have had more respect for the post if you had cited a recognized dictionary coz I sense sentiments in the provided definitions.

use any dictionary that suit you. And know that most words are corrupted. Example is what God is in yoruba is different to how most dictionary put it.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:23am On Sep 30, 2013
bolaino: This boy folykaze will not kill me with laughter, he wrote the op well ooo, atleast it was comprehensible and made sense, but as usual as he started replying your posts, he went into his manic yoruba native doctor mode

What is native doctor? Pls stop playing on western script.

It post is not about yoruba spirituality....Amanfrommars turn it toward yoruba spirituality. He asked questions and he is answered.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:
What is spirituality to you? Is it possible for you as an atheist to have a rich spiritual life?
There should be nothing like Atheism which is a concept against the believe in Supreme deity who is Omni,Alpha and Omega !!! ...... Atheism arose out of questioning of existence and with our limited tools, sensibility and reasonability, it would take ''a while'' to logically conclude answers on existence and the brain behind existence !!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is difference between the Objective of Religion and Objective of Science ..........

How ;

Science seeks to unravel the mystery behind our Universe while Religion defines the personality behind the mystery of our Universe and what such personality wants !!

The bone of contention between some Scientists and we Religion adherent is simply, There is brain behind the Universe who instruct us to worship him/it and The Atheist says, The Universe just exist, there was never any brain behind it and no need to worship ''nobody'' !!!

From the above, it would be discovered that the purpose of Religion is never the mystery behind the Universe but strictly the Originator of such Mystery while the essence of Science is never the Originator of any mystery but strictly the mystery themselves !!!

In the Longrun, If Scientist were later able to Unravel all the mysteries behind the Universe,then they discovered or were able to trace the logic behind the Universe to an Extra-terrestial Power tagged Omni-Knowledge and Omni-power who is an expert in Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Cyborg,Philosophy till Infinity which some people tagged GOD !!!

But ,

In Order to Unravel such mysteries as encoded by The Supreme Deity,it would take Billion of Years if not Trillion however Human Cells do not have such years to lived out life !!!

In helping HumanFolks to reclaimed our Lost Zion/Planet An ''Abridged Philosophy''(Religion) were extended to us in which from among ourselves(Humanfolks), special Algorithm(Prophets of God) were raised whom helps to detailed what HumanFolks woulda take Multi-Billion years to unravel through Logical deductions and also stipulating what the Supreme Deity wishes us to do in order to reclaiming [b]our lost Zion !!!

Here is never our Home, that is why of Death only Your body and Organ dies Your Algorithm=Soul never dies unless the Programmer =GOD wiped it out,then Oblivion !!!

Conclusively, An Atheist who believes in Humanity and Logic May cohabits with Spirituality without knowing since the only aspect of Religion Left out is Worship and Belief ........ And such is exactly what Religion adherents encompasses ; Humanity,Logic,Belief and worship but through-Human Error we usually have misapplications of Religion Manuals(Scriptures)!!!

Everything in the world seems Interrelated to me and they are all revolving around one-another while some are just static and we are like some kinda Robot,somebody's tool !!!

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:24am On Sep 30, 2013
^^^^ this is excellently put.

Thanks donroxy, but if I may ask, what is spirituality in your view?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

U don smoke am ? As for me and my house, we don't do weed. Not a teetotaller but I rarely drink alcohol and never smoked. But I'll admit the way some dudes, Wiz Khalifa in particular, smoke weed makes it look cool.

Dont smoke the weed. You wan add craze to your nonsensical posts?

I suspect that folykaze takes some weed when doing his Yoruba incantations

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:40pm On Sep 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont smoke the weed. You wan add craze to your nonsensical posts?

I suspect that folykaze takes some weed when doing his Yoruba incantations

Obadiah taught me how to wrap spiritus with bible leaves. That stuff is good as rizzler and make me feel at heaven with God. Im smoking on book of revelation....ma pass you one wrap?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Infomizer(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

use any dictionary that suit you. And know that most words are corrupted. Example is what God is in yoruba is different to how most dictionary put it.
I understand your point bro. I only wanted to clarify that the definitions on the page you cited are quite subjective. Most objective definitions will refer to spirituality as 'not relating to physical things' as well as 'relating to religious beliefs'. The former is not too different from what you've got, but the 'religion' tag cannot be exonerated.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE: ^^^^ this is excellently put.

Thanks donroxy, but if I may ask, what is spirituality in your view?
To me , Spirituality is an Interface of Communication within/between Bodies/Souls , it is a system by which Soul correlates with other bodies/souls !!!

Spirituality within HumanBody deals with the process by which your Soul relates with your body while Spirituality between bodies deal with process by which soul relate with another Fellow-HumanBody or ExoBiological/Extra-Terrestial beings (deities) !!!

Therefore,Spirituality to me is a form of Communication Channels by which Souls correlates ......... Which can be within your body or outside your body !!!

In that guise, It is possible for two Souls to communicate without using their Body Organs .... Some kinda Body Bluetooth/Bridge/Reuter/transmitter grin where two Softwares (Souls)/Hardwares(Bodies) communicates ..... That is why I tagged it an Interface !!

Without Your Spirit,Your body is as good as Dead but Just Quasi-Death since your soul is still present therein ...... And If ur spirit doesn't correlate with others , you would feel as if U are the only one on Earth and No other person(s) exist !!!

Spirituality is quite wide and may be Infinite/finite @ some point ....Medical Biology may tagged it another name ooo, but the above is my own attempt as a Theist !!!

That is why some says Human System is divided into 3 Body=Physical , Soul=Shapeless Algorithm=Software and Spirit=Interface between/within bodies/Souls !!! !!!

Spirituality systems could be present in Physical and/or Abstract forms and U don't have to be religious for spirituality to susbsist in you, it is Human-Factor ..... Though Religion established the concept of spirituality better since it is an area pure Scientists would never go !!!

If U don't prepare your mind/soul, concept of Spirituality can lead to Kolomental ooo because, it is a Journey beyond World ......as such, it involves a lot and a very lot !!!
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
donroxy: To me , Spirituality is an Interface of Communication within/between Bodies/Souls , it is a system by which Soul correlates with other bodies/souls !!!

Spirituality within HumanBody deals with the process by which your Soul relates with your body while Spirituality between bodies deal with process by which soul relate with another Fellow-HumanBody or ExoBiological/Extra-Terrestial beings (deities) !!!

Therefore,Spirituality to me is a form of Communication Channels by which Souls correlates ......... Which can be within your body or outside your body !!!

In that guise, It is possible for two Souls to communicate without using their Body Organs .... Some kinda Body Bluetooth/Bridge/Reuter/transmitter grin where two Softwares (Souls)/Hardwares(Bodies) communicates ..... That is why I tagged it an Interface !!

Without Your Spirit,Your body is as good as Dead but Just Quasi-Death since your soul is still present therein ...... And If ur spirit doesn't correlate with others , you would feel as if U are the only one on Earth and No other person(s) exist !!!

Spirituality is quite wide and may be Infinite/finite @ some point ....Medical Biology may tagged it another name ooo, but the above is my own attempt as a Theist !!!

That is why some says Human System is divided into 3 Body=Physical , Soul=Shapeless Algorithm=Software and Spirit=Interface between/within bodies/Souls !!! !!!

Spirituality systems could be present in Physical and/or Abstract forms and U don't have to be religious for spirituality to susbsist in you, it is Human-Factor ..... Though Religion established the concept of spirituality better since it is an area pure Scientists would never go !!!

If U don't prepare your mind/soul, concept of Spirituality can lead to Kolomental ooo because, it is a Journey beyond World ......as such, it involves a lot and a very lot !!!

Thanks for your input....it like we are on same page.

But erm, it like I will like to get something clearer. You stated that human are made of 3 component.

- The physical/biological body;

- Soul.....?

- Spirit.....?

I dont know if we are on same page here. But soul to me literally mean 'mind'. I used mind to separate it from entire human living entirely out/in of body as depicted in religion. Soul according to religion are got punised for sin bla bla bla. Do Soul in your context mean mind which in immaterial product of material brain or it something separate entirely?

Secondly.....spirit to me mean 'breathe' or 'life force'. Not really as vague definition religion give to it. Can you buttress more on the term spirit. I want to get clearer picture of where you driving at.

Kolomental......lol I remember my good god fela kuti.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hehehe. Nairaland atheists take note. @ FOLYKAZE: I will get that book if I see it in bookshops around my side: Agege, Ogba or Ikeja.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hehehe. Nairaland atheists take note. @ FOLYKAZE: I will get that book if I see it in bookshops around my side: Pen-Cinema, Ogba or CV for Ikeja.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2013
donroxy: To me , Spirituality is an Interface of Communication within/between Bodies/Souls , it is a system by which Soul correlates with other bodies/souls !!!

Imbecilic post

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Hehehe. Nairaland atheists take note.

whats so funny?

@ FOLYKAZE: I will get that book if I see it in bookshops around my side:

ok

Pen-Cinema, Ogba or CV for Ikeja.

Uyi, what is this? This guy is smoking gbana.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

Imbecilic post

Add something to this discussion. Stop behaving like AlienfromMars
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Add something to this discussion. Stop behaving like AlienfromMars

Sorry.....I have a thread on this topic already.

But thanks for the comment. Amanfrommars prefers to buttkiss christians now. He is mostly on the christian chatbox. You wonder why I call him judas. The guy always forms "mature atheist" in front of christians. At the end of the day, the xtians showed him that he is still an ordinary heathen to them when his comments were banned in the xtian chatbox.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:07am On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Sorry.....I have a thread on this topic already.

But thanks for the comment. Amanfrommars prefers to buttkiss christians now. He is mostly on the christian chatbox. You wonder why I call him judas. The guy always forms "mature atheist" in front of christians. At the end of the day, the xtians showed him that he is still an ordinary heathen to them when his comments were banned in the xtian chatbox.

Your thread is not about yoruba spirituality. Yours is intuition and emotional connection. No P though.

Erm, do you belief universe is conscious?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Imbecilic post
tongue

why is he crying, as if he got something better to add grin !!

Any copy and paste disproving my post tongue grin
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Your thread is not about yoruba spirituality. Yours is intuition and emotional connection. No P though.

Erm, do you belief universe is conscious?

the universe is not conscious
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:18am On Oct 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

the universe is not conscious

Donroxy was right. Im going mad gradually. Lol.

Yoruba spirituality view that everything in the universe is conscious and alive with there own ase (energy). Have been trying to find if stone and plant were conscious but just making my head go hot.

Tomorrow topic abeg. My rest my head
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE:
Thanks for your input....it like we are on same page.

But erm, it like I will like to get something clearer. You stated that human are made of 3 component.

- The physical/biological body;

- Soul.....?

- Spirit.....?

I dont know if we are on same page here. But soul to me literally mean 'mind'. I used mind to separate it from entire human living entirely out/in of body as depicted in religion. Soul according to religion are got punised for sin bla bla bla. Do Soul in your context mean mind which in immaterial product of material brain or it something separate entirely?

Secondly.....spirit to me mean 'breathe' or 'life force'. Not really as vague definition religion give to it. Can you buttress more on the term spirit. I want to get clearer picture of where you driving at.

Kolomental......lol I remember my good god fela kuti.
Firstly, I did not stated that Human is divided into 3 .....I said some people do, I only brought to your notice what they did said while I added my own understanding of what they might be driving @ !!

You know, Definitions of terms in Human system depend on their Functionality and in defining some abstract elements, one could either exagerrated the definition or limited it, it all depends on some personal experience and research !!

Definition of Mind and Soul differs across some philosophic discipline while some has equated the two concept into meaning the same-thing !!

Personally, I believed MIND has to deal with the whole system of Human which enables thinking,conciosness,Judgement et c therefore, Soul is a Department in the MIND which can mean a term used to describe the general system of consciousness and mental evaluations !!! I may be wrong anyway and I'm Opened to learning and better information,to me, Knowledge in such Faculty is only important in knowing one's system ,nothingmore !!

We may say, The Soul + other bodily faculties equals the mind and not just soul alone .........

Therefore, U can either Opened your MIND to better your soul in the longrun or close-up your mind and get your soul condemned !!!

The Soul bears the consequence of all actions in Human system therefore, Soul + other body systems =MIND !!

NB.Again,I may be wrong to some probabilistic digression, it is only an Attempt !!

Yes, I held Soul as an abstract shapeless Algorithm=Programmic Language embedded in the physical tissues in the Head which is called Brain ... The Soul is primarily You while The Mind is you + other systems that aids you in becoming whatever you desires to become i.e Good/Bad !!! !!!

Spirit ....
Kindly go Online and check the meaning of an Interface .......Spirit doesn't have concise definition as it is Highly diversed and quite a deep concept .........

In an attempt to decipher what Spirit connotes, that is why I tagged it an Interface which aids communication between Souls and/or Bodies .........

Your Spirit conducts affairs on behalf of your Soul, and Spirit is part of the system in the MIND ......

U may be right by tagging it ''Breath'' cuz if one should go into the etymology of spirit, it is possibe to arrive at ur suggested !!!

But Bros ;

Etymology of spirit is one area I would never advised me/you to go into grin ..... Ohhh oh ohhh oh oh,Kolomental eh ,Omo na Mental craze , Bi omode ba de ibi eru,eru yio ba oo (U go fear na) !!!

Thereby, Spirit is like a kinda Shell for Soul !!! ....... Maybe the vehicle by which Soul travels around and it can be of any brand ....,Honda,Toyota,peugeot,Mitsubishi,RangeRovers grin !!!

Spiritualism is better established in Religion !!!
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 1:44am On Oct 01, 2013
Folkaze, Are you an Ifa Adherent ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Chase Out A Monitoring Spirit From A Building?? / Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong / Pastor Always Knew Agnostic Would Come Crawling Back To Church For Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.