Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,049 members, 7,828,693 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? (6973 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:28pm On Oct 03, 2013
macof: buddhist don't care about God or gods. They live for themselves, and strive to acquire one thing : reinvention in opposed to reincarnation in order to escape suffering. They believe the sins of the former life brings suffering to the new life which the reincarnated soul lives. Their rituals are basically, meditating to harnessing ones inner consciousness(wat I like to call Ori) in order to change the course of their lives.

Hope u get what Buddhism is about now

Thanks for the token bro.

I think he is right at some point but considering that most atheist on this forum embrace buddhism and support it philosophy over it religion aspect.

Those most atheist on this forum trashed philosophy, culture, spirituality and tradition which belong to their race as Africa and tribe as either yoruba, igbo or hausa.

Have been hearing that Africans are the greatest enemy of Africa. I see Africans embracing anything foreign but trashing what on their land.

This is kolo mentality
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by barackohandso(m): 10:32pm On Oct 03, 2013
macof: buddhist don't care about God or gods. They live for themselves, and strive to acquire one thing : reinvention in opposed to reincarnation in order to escape suffering. They believe the sins of the former life brings suffering to the new life which the reincarnated soul lives. Their rituals are basically, meditating to harnessing ones inner consciousness(wat I like to call Ori) in order to change the course of their lives.

Hope u get what Buddhism is about now

Yeah pretty much.
Learning it from another angle
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by macof(m): 10:36pm On Oct 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Thanks for the token bro.

I think he is right at some point but considering that most atheist on this forum embrace buddhism and support it philosophy over it religion aspect.

Those most atheist on this forum trashed philosophy, culture, spirituality and tradition which belong to their race as Africa and tribe as either yoruba, igbo or hausa.

Have been hearing that Africans are the greatest enemy of Africa. I see Africans embracing anything foreign but trashing what on their land.

This is kolo mentality
as it seems Christianity and Islam isn't the only medium to self hate
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:54pm On Oct 03, 2013
barack_o_handso:

Yeah pretty much.
Learning it from another angle

Remember I told you buddhism is more philosophical than religion.

Bro lets learn from your religion angle.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
macof: as it seems Christianity and Islam isn't the only medium to self hate

Some atheist are self-hating folks.

Logicboy had been posting his support for buddhism.....calling it atheistic, philosophical and no religion attached but barks at me when I embrace Ifa. More and more of his like on this forum.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by macof(m): 12:06am On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Logicboy had been posting his support for buddhism.....calling it atheistic, philosophical and no religion attached but barks at me when I embrace Ifa. More and more of his like on this forum.

I really admire ur way of atheism. I am religious but despite that I support atheism to some degree.
Ifa asks us to seek knowledge any how we can. Atheism is actually suppose to be freedom and self independence. Away from all sorts of mental corruption and seeking natural/logical explanation bringing about knowledge
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by barackohandso(m): 1:13am On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Remember I told you buddhism is more philosophical than religion.

Bro lets learn from your religion angle.

For the record, I'm an atheist.
You know when you start to learn Buddhism, it's looked as as a religion. I'm open minded, that's what fascinated me about an atheist being an Ifa follower.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:11am On Oct 04, 2013
barack_o_handso:

For the record, I'm an atheist.
You know when you start to learn Buddhism, it's looked as as a religion. I'm open minded, that's what fascinated me about an atheist being an Ifa follower.

Haha...but you were asking me reason yhwh Im admiring Ifa as atheist. Why?

And im not Ifa follower.....im studying Ifa because it my right. I need to know it not necessarily believing in it.

Why did you say buddhism is religion in your previous post?

I got another topic tomorrow. Lol
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:40am On Oct 04, 2013
macof: I really admire ur way of atheism. I am religious but despite that I support atheism to some degree.
Ifa asks us to seek knowledge any how we can. Atheism is actually suppose to be freedom and self independence. Away from all sorts of mental corruption and seeking natural/logical explanation bringing about knowledge

I call this mental slavery. Atheist in Nigeria are just closed minded folks who hate anything about religion. Some hatred came through liberation from youthful feeded religion dogma and some just want to appear intelligent so dont want to be attach to any religion.

It part of Atheist on nairaland to hate bible but never check bible to pick up some senses out of it.

Some just trash quran because it full of terror.

This shouldn't be so....i have friends that love horror film but that doesn't make them horror.....same goes to my friends that smoke....i dont smoke but that doesn't make me hate them. I have heard there are some sense in nonsense. I have embraced bible considering book of proverb and some jesus teaching like love, charity and respect for authories. Same applies to zakat in quran. I dont deny it contains some dogma but we shouldn't trash it all because it contain dogma (this is what some atheist do).....not ready to find sense in religion.

This stem down to spirituality. Like I told you on your thread, some atheist think Yemoja is a half fish and half human with golden crown around her head. Some even think Ifa is about charm and worshipping of deity. Some think practising of Orisa is bowing to Idol or carving one in your shrine. Those who you should expect to reason or question ask silly and rhetoric questions...even the one that ask question ignorantly will ignore your answer no matter how it is or if their view on it to asking another foolish questions....one of them was asking me about magic and charm in Ifa....i answered him for him to ignore the response to cheap strawmanning.....You will ask them questions for them to ask you questions back or completely ignore your questions. You will open a thread for them to ignore topic into ad-homien and strawmanning....more like looking for flaws to shoot attack at........this is just close minded fanatism they have been accusing theist about.

It doesn't end there, some atheist on this forum build on atheism. The last time I check, atheism is just disbelief in God (I opened a thread to clarify on which concept of God). Some atheist has turn this into personalities and attached ideology to it...... Support - science, Negate - Spirituality. They troll around and are bend into attacking others if their ideology or views are not supported. I think nobody has the right to control other people's opinion.....they tend to force you into their idealism or bring you down when their force is not working.

That is an excerpt of 'nairaland atheist'. They are whole bug of brainwashed puppets who have no mind of theirs.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by barackohandso(m): 7:45am On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Haha...but you were asking me reason yhwh Im admiring Ifa as atheist. Why?

And im not Ifa follower.....im studying Ifa because it my right. I need to know it not necessarily believing in it.

Why did you say buddhism is religion in your previous post?

I got another topic tomorrow. Lol

Fair enough

I'm not a Buddhist, and I'm not against an atheist supporting it, I just said it was suprising, and you'll agree with me that it is, cos it's rare. The Buddhism issue was raised cos you mentioned Sam Harris as an example of an atheist who supports the philosophy of Buddhism, and my response was that it doesn't make him a Buddhist.

You're studying Ifa cos it's your right, I get and respect that, but we only get few of that. People who study Ifa either as their right or by chioce are RARELY atheists
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by nnofaith: 8:36am On Oct 04, 2013
@folly
you are just a babalawo.and an intelletual fraud claiming you are embracing african spirituallity to cover up your beliefs. how do you reconcile your beliefs in deities like sango, ogun, obatala etc with atheism. Atheism is lack of belief in gods or deities. what is the diffrence between yoruba creation myth and the jewish one? no diffrence they are both myths. Both myths are full of BS. please tell me that you are not implying that we will only be good atheists when we reject the foreign BS and support your local BS. by the way i am yoruba too.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by barackohandso(m): 8:48am On Oct 04, 2013
nnofaith: @folly
you are just a babalawo.and an intelletual fraud claiming you are embracing african spirituallity to cover up your beliefs. how do you reconcile your beliefs in deities like sango, ogun, obatala etc with atheism. Atheism is lack of belief in gods or deities. what is the diffrence between yoruba creation myth and the jewish one? no diffrence they are both myths. Both myths are full of BS. please tell me that you are not implying that we will only be good atheists when we reject the foreign BS and support your local BS. by the way i am yoruba too.

Another one of Folykaze's critics.
This is my point exactly @ Folykaze
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:52am On Oct 04, 2013
nnofaith: @folly

can we show ourselves some respect? If you want me to handle you, pls correct the spelling of my name pls

lets start from this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1464785/atheist-why-embracing-buddhism-not#18562357 .
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:54am On Oct 04, 2013
barack_o_handso:

Another one of Folykaze's critics.
This is my point exactly @ Folykaze

it not about critics, it about asking this guys if they know what they are saying or whom they are. Knowledge start from self-conscious to self-realisation you know.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by nnofaith: 9:18am On Oct 04, 2013
@folly (sic)
an atheiest embracing " african spirituality". what does that even mean?! you have to decide whether you want to be a babalawo or an atheist and stop this charade and intellectual fraud you are perpetrating.
Atheism is the lack of belief in BS whether foreign or local.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:35am On Oct 04, 2013
nnofaith: @folly (sic)
an atheiest embracing " african spirituality". what does that even mean?! you have to decide whether you want to be a babalawo or an atheist and stop this charade and intellectual fraud you are perpetrating.
Atheism is the lack of belief in BS whether foreign or local.

typical example of 'nairaland atheist'. When you are ready to discuss with me, show some respect by correctly spelling my name. Until then, enjoy your nihility
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 04, 2013
All human are spirit entities in a physical body. Spiritually is all about know more about one's self,how to understand your divinity. Atheism in many cases is a step towards spirituality. The fact that they have rejected the erroneous idea of subjecting themselves from a "higher power" ,the ability to reactive their thinking faculty,they are now purged from every form of religious brainwash.

The next step is activating their divinity,they become self empowered,they realise that they are the creators of their past and future,their reality, in tuned with their higher self, they realise that they are the so called "God" within them and they are it. Then we can say a human has finally embraced Spirituality,just as an African should embrace Africanism.

2 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 04, 2013
ifeness: All human are spirit entities in a physical body. Spiritually is all about know more about one's self,how to understand your divinity. Atheism in many cases is a step towards spirituality. The fact that they have rejected the erroneous idea of subjecting themselves from a "higher power" ,the ability to reactive their thinking faculty,they are now purged from every form of religious brainwash.

The next step is activating their divinity,they become self empowered,they realise that they are the creators of their past and future,their reality, in tuned with their higher self, they realise that they are the so called "God" within them and they are it. Then we can say a human has finally embraced Spirituality,just as an African should embrace Africanism.

How did these spirit entities get into the physical body?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 04, 2013
Physicality is a conscious choice made by the Spirit. The Spirit decides what ever form it want to take(fish,lion,humans,cows,dogs...what ever form)how long it will be will be,lessons it wants to learn,family it wants to be born etc. Everything is a conscious choice. The human body is not real in the first place,and same applies to everything we see around us. The higher the level of consciousness,the less need for the human body.

2 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
joel lala:

How did these spirit entities get into the physical body?

Most things we African get wrong is that each personify term is seen as a monster or demon. I dont know if we are playing on western script or we are just ignorant.

Spirit is a force. It not a monster. It something more like life force which animate composition of inanimated elements and matters in our body system. Obviously, the elements that embodied soil is the same that embody us. We are just the same thing in different form.

So your question should translate to how does life-force animate us and manifest in physical world? The physical world is illusion from your brain. Nothing added to this.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Most things we African get wrong is that each personify term is seen as a monster or demon. I dont know if we are playing on western script or we are just ignorant.

Spirit is a force. It not a monster. It something more like life force which animate composition of inanimated elements and matters in our body system. Obviously, the elements that embodied soil is the same that embody us. We are just the same thing in different form.

So your question should translate to how does life-force animate us and manifest in physical world? The physical world is illusion from your brain. Nothing added to this.

Wait o..who mentioned demons here? I asked a simple question that deserves a simple answer..if you want to say something or make a point do so without beating about the bush or adding what was not said by me..also i choose the way i ask questions..ifeness mentioned spirit entering into the physical body so it is wrong for you to tell me how to address the question.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
ifeness: Physicality is a conscious choice made by the Spirit. [b]The Spirit decides what ever form it want to take(fish,lion,humans,cows,dogs...what ever form)[/b]how long it will be will be,lessons it wants to learn,family it wants to be born etc. Everything is a conscious choice. The human body is not real in the first place,and same applies to everything we see around us. The higher the level of consciousness,the less need for the human body.

The spirit in dogs, goat,camel, rats etc are they the same spirit in the body of man since you said that the spirit takes any physical form that it wants?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by macof(m): 2:18pm On Oct 04, 2013
joel lala:

The spirit in dogs, goat,camel, rats etc are they the same spirit in the body of man since you said that the spirit takes any physical form that it wants?
different spirits from the same source
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
joel lala:

Wait o..who mentioned demons here? I asked a simple question that deserves a simple answer..if you want to say something or make a point do so without beating about the bush or adding what was not said by me..also i choose the way i ask questions..ifeness mentioned spirit entering into the physical body so it is wrong for you to tell me how to address the question.

You seem not to read through the post or maybe you omit how it address your question.

I stated 'demon or monster' because thats what most people think spirit is. Your question clearly indicate that thats where you driving at. Anyway, im sorry if it shred your shot.

Spirit = life force.

Physical body is just a dead carcass made of bones and flesh until life force function on it.

Physical world is just illusion within the brain. The only thing that exist is your experience.

Hope I answer you now?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by plaetton: 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

I know where you are coming from. But do not blame Lb to much cos I know where he is coming from too.
You, unlike Buddhism, there is a dearth of information on African traditional religions and philosophies, especially for those them raised in cities.
Our leaders and educators have failed woefully in assembling together a coherent body of knowledge about the philosophical underpinnings of African culture and religions.

So, its quite easy to neglect our cultural and religious past to identify with and embrace Buddhism simply because there is large body of written material on Buddhism.

Our government should set up and fund a special commission for cultural and historical revival made up of eminent scholars from all over the country who have not been tainted with poisonous stench of the Abrahamic religions.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by plaetton: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
Spirituality and religion are not the same thing.

Spirituality is very subjective, whereas religion makes the grave eror of trying to push the subjective outwards into objective reality. That is why religion doesn't make sense.

As an atheist, I am free to embrace spirituality without self-contradiction because I am fully cognizant that my spiritual reality can only be real to me and only me.
Outside of my head, it is just rubbish.

That is what I try to impress upon religious people: That the god, the Jesus, the holy spirit that they claim to see, hear and feel , have no reality outside of their heads.

3 Likes

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by macof(m): 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2013
plaetton: Spirituality and religion are not the same thing.

Spirituality is very subjective, whereas religion makes the grave eror of trying to push the subjective outwards into objective reality. That is why religion doesn't make sense.

As an atheist, I am free to embrace spirituality without self-contradiction because I am fully cognizant that my spiritual reality can only be real to me and only me.

That is what I try to impress upon religious people: That the god, the Jesus, the holy spirit that they claim to see, hear and feel , have no reality outside of their heads.
A good example is when A pastor says "the holy spirit just told me". I mean thats just foolish talk. what ever information u think the so-called holy spirit revealed is simply ur imagination, ur brain playing tricks on u, since u already believe there's such an thing as holy spirit that reveals things. What u believe becomes ur own reality.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by plaetton: 3:58pm On Oct 04, 2013
macof: A good example is when A pastor says "the holy spirit just told me". I mean thats just foolish talk. what ever information u think the so-called holy spirit revealed is simply ur imagination, ur brain playing tricks on u, since u already believe there's such an thing as holy spirit that reveals things. What u believe becomes ur own reality.

And somehow, the holy spirit never ever reveals the permanent cures for deadly diseases like leprosy, not even to Jesus.
lol

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:14pm On Oct 04, 2013
plaetton:
I know where you are coming from. But do not blame Lb to much cos I know where he is coming from too.
You, unlike Buddhism, there is a dearth of information on African traditional religions and philosophies, especially for those them raised in cities.
Our leaders and educators have failed woefully in assembling together a coherent body of knowledge about the philosophical underpinnings of African culture and religions.

So, its quite easy to neglect our cultural and religious past to identify with and embrace Buddhism simply because there is large body of written material on Buddhism.

Our government should set up and fund a special commission for cultural and historical revival made up of eminent scholars from all over the country who have not been tainted with poisonous stench of the Abrahamic religions.

Thanks for your post.

I was also like LB, bashing my culture and spirituality until my African American friend reveal it philosophy to me. It was really alarming that those Yoruba Gods we were taught in school are just mind-created fictions. Anyway, im not blaming Logicboy for anything. He never at once bark at me even though we dont agree on things.

I dont like throwing blame but I agree with you that our government, parents and ourselves caused this problem which makes African spirituality corrupted to the level it is today. I still believe this Spirituality (especially that of Yoruba) have survived generations without writing document and it has been the same till date. Thanks to some putting this down into books which we can read today. The revolution will come only if we contribute to it revival and not stamping on it.

Pls check out this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1464785/atheist-why-embracing-buddhism-not#18573207 . Still wondering why most atheist are ignoring it.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2013
plaetton:

And somehow, the holy spirit never ever reveals the permanent cures for deadly diseases like leprosy, not even to Jesus.
lol

Hey guys, let me add juice here.

Dont you think intuition reacts like voice? I agree it just function of multi billion cell connected together. Lol
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by wiegraf: 5:34pm On Oct 04, 2013
plaetton: Spirituality and religion are not the same thing.

Maybe you can help the baba lawo op? Can you please explain how he gauges the evidence for/against gods?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:03pm On Oct 04, 2013
wiegraf:

Maybe you can help the baba lawo op? Can you please explain how he gauges the evidence for/against gods?

plaetton.....you see eh? Lwkmd

Here comes the 'bark at atheist', 'nairaland atheist' and 'professional atheist' as tagged by Einstein.

Erm....i love jonzing with babalawosmiley..it make me reconnect with my history. Those taught at school are scam records of invaders.

Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Chase Out A Monitoring Spirit From A Building?? / Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong / Pastor Always Knew Agnostic Would Come Crawling Back To Church For Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.