Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? (6932 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by wiegraf: 1:50am On Oct 06, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Because it a joke. Could be self-esteem.....or drama. Lol

Can you answer my question. What is God? What concept of God are you refering to?

The god doesn't matter, those specifics are unimportant. I simply want to know how your vetting process works. So, xtian god for instance will do.

How do you go about assessing the evidence for the existence of xtian god?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
wiegraf:

The god doesn't matter, those specifics are unimportant. I simply want to know how your vetting process works. So, xtian god for instance will do.

How do you go about assessing the evidence for the existence of xtian god?

I now see you are specific. Right, I dont believe in any Abrahamic God. So if anybody come to my doorstep and tell me he is God, logic and reason will be employed here.

The bible and christians claimed he is omnipresent and omnipotent, let check through their claim.

Omnipresency theory shred him immediately when he appears in my room. He is supposed to be everywhere at once and which mean doesn't have the ability if he possess this omnipresency to move from one place to another....therefore he is not omnipotent.

If he deny any of these, then he is not God

Two shot.....
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by wiegraf: 8:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

I now see you are specific. Right, I dont believe in any Abrahamic God. So if anybody come to my doorstep and tell me he is God, logic and reason will be employed here.

The bible and christians claimed he is omnipresent and omnipotent, let check through their claim.

Omnipresency theory shred him immediately when he appears in my room. He is supposed to be everywhere at once and which mean doesn't have the ability if he possess this omnipresency to move from one place to another....therefore he is not omnipotent.

If he deny any of these, then he is not God

Two shot.....

Your logic and reason leaves room for the supernatural, yes?

That is, you accept that there are supernatural phenomena which cannot be explained/examined by science, yes?

Your problem with xtian god isn't the supernatural bits, it's the ridiculousness of statements like all the omnixx, yes?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:12am On Oct 07, 2013
wiegraf:

Your logic and reason leaves room for the supernatural, yes?

Here we go with strawmanning. How many time am I going to tell you that everything in nature is super enough?

That is, you accept that there are supernatural phenomena which cannot be explained/examined by science, yes?

nothing like cannot or impossiblities in revealing answer to scientific questions. I agree with if you say they are not yet answered. Moreover, I didn't say it supernatural. It a natural phenomena.

Your problem with xtian god isn't the supernatural bits, it's the ridiculousness of statements like all the omnixx, yes?

Here we go....you asked about how I will gauge my evidence. I gave you two logical slots and back it with reason showing the contradiction and incoherency in what christians says. You want me to post whole world here?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by wiegraf: 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Here we go with strawmanning. How many time am I going to tell you that everything in nature is super enough?

nothing like cannot or impossiblities in revealing answer to scientific questions. I agree with if you say they are not yet answered. Moreover, I didn't say it supernatural. It a natural phenomena.

Here we go....you asked about how I will gauge my evidence. I gave you two logical slots and back it with reason showing the contradiction and incoherency in what christians says. You want me to post whole world here?

@Folly, I do not care about the specifics, I state that, yet here you are asking if I want the whole story. NO... Gaddem.... And do you know what a strawman is?

The point is very simple, pointed out to you by various people but it seems we'd have more luck getting across to baboons. If you accept supernatural explanations, then you are doing exactly the same thing all the other theists are doing. The exact.same.thing. Choose not to call whatever it is 'god', but they are the exact same thing; supernatural phenomena involved with the machinations of this universe.

You'd simply be cherry picking, nothing more, and accepting what's palpable to your sensibilities, but all your claims remain equally ridiculous. 'Invisible bullet proof belts' and 'faster than usein bolt' due to abracadabra are just as ridiculous, see? So claiming some sort of 'superiority' to other theists or claiming you aren't one is simply risible. Same shi.t as trinitarians mocking non-trinitatians, see?

Now, this is NOT what you have implied in the past, so you need to be clear here. You have held that your babalawo is privy to knowledge and methods that ('my dumb', see my sig) science cannot investigate. You've repeatedly refused to answer simple questions and shot yourself in the foot time and time again when faced with this. Anyways, if you accept that the supernatural simply is the natural that we are ignorant of then yes, no problems, you could qualify as an atheist. Otherwise, NO.

Also, considering what physics has to say on the issue, are you telling me that a babalawo killing some chikens enabling him to somehow contravene well known laws to make you bulletproof is a natural process?
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
wiegraf:

@Folly, I do not care about the specifics, I state that, yet here you are asking if I want the whole story. NO... Gaddem.... And do you know what a strawman is?

The point is very simple, pointed out to you by various people but it seems we'd have more luck getting across to baboons. If you accept supernatural explanations, then you are doing exactly the same thing all the other theists are doing. The exact.same.thing. Choose not to call whatever it is 'god', but they are the exact same thing; supernatural phenomena involved with the machinations of this universe.

You'd simply be cherry picking, nothing more, and accepting what's palpable to your sensibilities, but all your claims remain equally ridiculous. 'Invisible bullet proof belts' and 'faster than usein bolt' due to abracadabra are just as ridiculous, see? So claiming some sort of 'superiority' to other theists or claiming you aren't one is simply risible. Same shi.t as trinitarians mocking non-trinitatians, see?

Now, this is NOT what you have implied in the past, so you need to be clear here. You have held that your babalawo is privy to knowledge and methods that ('my dumb', see my sig) science cannot investigate. You've repeatedly refused to answer simple questions and shot yourself in the foot time and time again when faced with this. Anyways, if you accept that the supernatural simply is the natural that we are ignorant of then yes, no problems, you could qualify as an atheist. Otherwise, NO.

Also, considering what physics has to say on the issue, are you telling me that a babalawo killing some chikens enabling him to somehow contravene well known laws to make you bulletproof is a natural process?

Black man indeed has no hope. He MUST believe in something beyond this world, something that loves him and thinks about him, even if it's his dead ancestors or their Gods.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
wiegraf:

I knew you were coming here.....This is it. If you dont know how, why and what about something doesn't exactly make that thing myth or magic. If you experience it first hand, it doesn't make it supernatural. Why cant you investigate something or ask question about it before concluding on natural process about it?

If you want to question or debate a issue, why cant you test it out and experience it before you bash it?

I met lot of people on this forum and the person I can see thats reasonable is Uyi-iredia. He asked me to explain my hypotheis on bullet-proof juju to him and I did. If you want to know, show some sides that you want to. It a natural phenomenon and really scientifical.....I agree you are seeing chicken and others but who told you thats what it made from? Go figure the lines between spirituality and science. Man, ask something like person who want to learn.....im ready to drop things to ya.

If you dont want, continue with your doubt till it proven with video. Cheers
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:

Black man indeed has no hope. He MUST believe in something beyond this world, something that loves him and thinks about him, even if it's his dead ancestors or their Gods.

chai....son of dumb ancestors.

Your ancestors didn't know anything about chemical elements but make herbs and work fine. No lab, no modern processing and no biochemistry cert.

Go out there and find new things.
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by wiegraf: 10:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

I met lot of people on this forum and the person I can see thats reasonable is Uyi-iredia.

Telekinesis meets babalawo...
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
wiegraf:

Telekinesis meets babalawo...

Better than nihilist

Do you know the meaning of Babalawo? Nice name thanks. Lol
Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by tchaik(m): 12:46am On Oct 08, 2013
Finally succumbed; can't resist commenting on this thread.
@TOPIC. I 've learnt somethings, and likewise discovered some pertinent albeit disturbing issues. ( will come to that later)
To understand where @Folykaze is coming from, we have to understand what actually is RELIGION. People still call Buddhism a religion; that is very disturbing. Likewise the mention of African Traditional Religion! (whoever coined this term has done a great disservice to Africans). Analyzing African belief system absolutely rules it out as a Religion properly so-called, and if it ain't a religion, what then is it? This is where @Folykaze concept of spirituality comes in. But make no mistake about this, whether you believe or not, there are some measures of 'spirituality' ( feel free to use your own nomenclature) innate in humans. @Folykaze, if I am not mistaken, is just trying to use his knowledge of his native culture/tradition to explain this 'spirituality ' of a thing. it doesn't connote belief in the Sky-Daddy and it's various supporting dogmas and theories.
I then observed that Atheism means different things to different people. It can be disturbing at times. Someone once called me an atheist and I winced, dude asked me why the concern. I told him that , I just don't believe in the Sky-daddy and co, and that is where it ends. #That's All. Just Google atheism and you will understand me better, many different and diverse opinion about a concept that was originally supposed to be non-belief in the sky man. But absence of religious beliefs doesn't mean we should be oblivious of some obvious 'happenings' (I am reluctant to use the word FACT, thanks to science and it's rigid, though impeccably excellent means of authenticating any claims.)
Do you know as a human, that there is a particular posture you will sleep in, you sub-conscious becomes very dominant. Have you asked yourself why some people believe that if you sleep in a certain position, your 'spirit' will be vulnerable to 'attack' by winch grin
That you dont understand doesn't mean you will fill-in the gaps with any entertaining and self satisfying make believe tales.
I have seen, with my two naked eyes, a man being shut with a shotgun repeatedly, and NOTHING HAPPENED TO HIM. That doesn't mean I believe in bullet proof jazz; not unless it is some kind of upgraded Criss Angel stuff, such stunts should be looked into, and properly so. Talking about Chris Angel, dude does some stuff that defies reasoning, logic, physics etc; but sceptics like myself believe that there is nothing extra ordinary in what he does, we just haven't discovered how he does them. I just believe in one thing though; whether jazz, juju, etc such stuff If not proved to some considerable measure, will continue to be met with a high level of incredulity; thanks once again to science and it's mean ways of proof.
@plaetton, I believe you die sir, some wise pontificating you did here. #Respect.
@obaino, one love! cool #wake&bake

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION THOUGH, WILL HIGHLY APPRECIATE ANY CORRECTION. ( we dey learn everyday shaa!!)

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:41am On Oct 08, 2013
@ tchaik

You said everything I have in mind. There is nothing more I can add or remove from your input. It really Epic.

Concerning that bullet-proof juju whatever, I have researched on it and make two different hypothesis pointing to same answer which is Yes, this thing is for real.

Like your signature state, I dont subscribe to supernatural too....everything in my nature is super and really amazing. Hence, we are tend to continue investigations instead of expecting some scientist from western world to research on this. Atheist on this forum argue as if they are rocket scientist whereas they got there knowledge from books and not practical field or lab.

Really appreciate your objectivity.....cheers man

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by tchaik(m): 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
@Folykaze

What's up Bro? How is it going? I came across a lecture by Carl Gustav Jung, delivered at the Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts in 1909; titled: "THE BASIC POSTULATES OF ANALYTICAL PSYCHOLOGY". I think you should find that piece and read it up.
Although I may not subscribe 100% to his assertions, C.G.Jung made some salient points which should not be ignored any longer. A century has passed since he delivered this lecture, and it is depressingly worrisome that humanity DO NOT WANT TO DARE and venture into this unknown and little understood nature of the symbiotic relationship between man and his/her "spiritual self" <------feel free touse your own nomenclature.
I made this observation because of the similarity of his view points, (not all of them though) with the reasons you started this thread.

Bless you.

1 Like

Re: 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? by Franklinus: 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2014
THE INDISPENSABLE TRUTH FOR TODAY !!! (2 COR. 4:6-17; MATT. 16:24-27) http://credoexperience..com/2014/07/the-indispensable-truth-for-today-2-cor.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dealing With Lucifarian Night Farmers By Dr. Olukoya - Written Sermon / Never Trust Yourself. Trust In Christ - Olamide Obire / Creationist Propaganda And Misinformation...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.