Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (518175 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:00am On Oct 18, 2014
titoetal:

You are welcome dear. Am seeking to pick 18th October for this blessed family to remember me in prayer if that date is open. Thanks for your wonderful care.

But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint-----Isaiah 40:31

Today we unite in prayers for you, May your steps be strengthened by the mighty presence of God.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:04am On Oct 18, 2014
Rich4god:
Good... Thats just what I wanted to hear... But, there are some couple who have been successfully divorced by the church... And one of the couple remarried in the church. How do you explain this...
Maybe you need to inquire more, I know that down here, many people don't know the difference between divorce and annulment so most times you see people referring to any such separation as divorce. I have only heard of one such incidence and am very sure the deacon who announced it in church repeatedly said "the marriage has been annulled" yet each time I hear people talk about it, they use the word "divorce" instead of "annull" and yes such people are free to re-marry in the church.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:12am On Oct 18, 2014
Rich4god:
Good... Thats just what I wanted to hear... But, there are some couple who have been successfully divorced by the church... And one of the couple remarried in the church. How do you explain this...

Dear brother, the Church did not receive the command to divorce. When you mention divorce, it means there was a valid marriage in the first place. When there is a valid marriage, the church hands off, that's what Ubenedictus is saying by church not having a divorce process. Sometimes, there are some marriages that are faulty, such as blood relations, hidden impotency, hidden insanity, marriage by force et.c. These things are called impediments to marriage, when one or both parties discovers the existence of any of these, and makes it known to the church, the tribunal investigates, if true, the marriage is said to be invalid in the first place and declared annulled. This is what you call divrce, but there wasn't a valid marriage in the first place. btoks said as much.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:18am On Oct 18, 2014
@ btoks, salc n syncan... Thanks alot... Am cleared... But, based on the points syncan raised as reasons for annullin a marriage, i didnt see infidelity there... Doesnt it mean that infidelity isnt a reason for annuling a marriage...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 10:20am On Oct 18, 2014
Syncan:

But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint-----Isaiah 40:31

Today we unite in prayers for you, May your steps be strengthened by the mighty presence of God.

Amen o my dearest one. Remain blessed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by IFY124(f): 1:37pm On Oct 18, 2014
Titoetal,
May God bless you andperfect all that concern you; Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:38pm On Oct 18, 2014
Rich4god:
@ btoks, salc n syncan... Thanks alot... Am cleared... But, based on the points syncan raised as reasons for annullin a marriage, i didnt see infidelity there... Doesnt it mean that infidelity isnt a reason for annuling a marriage...

Bro, Infidelity does not nullify a valid marriage, infact nothing but death separates."whatever God has joined together let no man separate", so even if you find your spouse has become like hosea's wife, you cannot divorce her(cross don come be that).

When the church annulls, it means the church is saying that the marriage should not have taken place, a valid marriage is never annulled. Remember, what God has joined....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:
my dear you are correct to note that I am afraid.

before I continue I just want to inform you that divorced couples have for a very long time been allowed to receive communion, that's is long settled I believe it even appears in the CCC.

the question is on remarried couples, actually i'm confident that the synod final statement will be consistent with catholic teaching. I also think it will be ambiguous and less define. that's what scares the hell out of me. the report from priests sent abroad scares me, there is a decay going on there, reports of bishops, priests even cardinals who seem to have a disturbing disregard for Catholic teaching scares me.

there will be holes in the document, that is all that is needed, there will be a ripple effect and the church isn't prepared for it. do u know what happened in Vatican 2? we had a great council but while d priest were talking about the "the spirit of the council", a spirit of confusion appeared, the decay there can be traced back to that time.

we should be praying, we don't know the extent of the battle God is fighting for us.

Ambiguity has 'plagued' the Teachings of the Church right from the time of Christ. I am not sure why this should bother you now, if indeed your worry started recently.

Anyways, I am not worried in the very least. Christ will ALWAYS guide his Church. Anyone who preys on any ambiguous Teaching deliberately, will have Christ to contend with.

I am neither worried nor afraid.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 18, 2014
Rich4god:

Infidelity can be a ground for annulment but it does not invalidate an existing marriage
as Sync has carefully pointed out.

Let me illustrate with a real life example:

I have this friend who, before his wedding day, informed me that he will definitely cheat on his would be wife after they are married. If this friend goes ahead with his preconceived plan after marriage then the Church can consider that union as null and void, if only it can be established.

If, on the other hand, my friend had a sincere resolution to be faithful to this lady after marriage but due to some weakness he cheated on the wife, this would not be a ground for annulment because the union was valid unlike the first case.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2014
IFY124:
Titoetal,
May God bless you and perfect all that concern you; Amen

Amen. Thanks dear wonderful one.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 5:34pm On Oct 18, 2014
@Syncan n Striktlymi... I now have a better understanding of marriage as defined by the RCC... Why I asked about infidelity was that one of the sitting governor's marriage was annuled by the church and the governor remarried in the church... Now, one of the reason for the annulment was abt infidelity and when too many side talk was going on in the diocese, the bishop tried explaining things to the faithful. Though I wasnt in the actual mass, but what my friends gathered from the bishop's explaination was that the marriage was disolved on the ground of infidelity...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:50pm On Oct 18, 2014
@titoetal may The Lord grant you the grace to seek him & his kingdom in all you do. And may the blessings of Matt 6.33 come true for you through Christ our Lord Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2014
SalC:
Lol he should take 30th, I reserved 22nd for Italo and if we have more people, we will have to start pairing.

Happy weekend my princess smiley
Sounds great.thanks

Same to you sunshine
Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 7:00pm On Oct 18, 2014
My dearest and beloved ALL who has always thought good for this community, am highly humbled for your care and love and can only say THANK YOU for your prayers today.
Additionally, am praying that the Almighty God may fill our hearts with songs of praise and testimony as He transforms, restore and establish us in this singular acts of ours through Christ Jesus - Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 7:02pm On Oct 18, 2014
Kamsified:
@titoetal may The Lord grant you the grace to seek him & his kingdom in all you do. And may the blessings of Matt 6.33 come true for you through Christ our Lord Amen

Amen. Thanks my dearest one and remain blessed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2014
VATICAN CITY — Catholic bishops scrapped their landmark welcome to gays Saturday, showing deep divisions at the end of a two-week meeting sought by Pope Francis to chart a more merciful approach to ministering to Catholic families.

The bishops failed to approve even a watered-down section on ministering to homosexuals that stripped away the welcoming tone of acceptance contained in a draft document earlier in the week.

The revised paragraph had said "people with homosexual tendencies must be welcomed with respect and delicacy." But the paragraph failed to reach the two-thirds majority needed to pass.

Two other paragraphs concerning the other hot-button issue at the synod — whether divorced and civilly remarried Catholics can receive Communion — also failed to pass.

It wasn't clear, though, if the 118-62 vote on the gay section was more a protest by progressive bishops who refused to back the watered-down wording. The revised paragraph had deleted the words of acceptance of gays' sexual orientation and acknowledgement that gay unions can provide "precious support" to partners that had been contained in the draft.

Francis insisted in the name of transparency that the full document — including the paragraphs that failed to pass — be published along with the voting tally. The document will serve as the basis for future debate leading up to another meeting of bishops next October.

The revised report of the two-week meeting of bishops had been rewritten to incorporate amendments to the draft released Monday which had shown an unprecedented openness toward gays and Catholics who live together without being married.

Conservatives had harshly criticized the draft and proposed extensive revisions to restate church doctrine, which holds that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered," but that gays themselves are to be respected, and that marriage is only between a man and woman.

"We could see that there were different viewpoints," said Cardinal Oswald Gracis of India, when asked about the most contentious sections of the report on homosexuals and divorced and remarried Catholics.

German Cardinal Walter Kasper, the leader of the progressive camp, said he was "realistic" about the outcome.

In an unexpected gesture, Francis approached a group of journalists waiting outside the synod hall to thank them for their work covering the synod.

"Thanks to you and your colleagues for the work you have done," he said. "Grazie tante." Conservative bishops had harshly criticized journalists for reporting on the dramatic shift in tone in the draft, even though the media reports merely reflected the document's content.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/279661462.html

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2014
Titoetal,

May all your good wishes be granted you through Christ our lord.

Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 9:07pm On Oct 18, 2014
jnrbayano:
Titoetal,

May all your good wishes be granted you through Christ our lord.

Amen.

Amen my great bros. Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 19, 2014
Rich4god:
@Syncan n Striktlymi... I now have a better understanding of marriage as defined by the RCC... Why I asked about infidelity was that one of the sitting governor's marriage was annuled by the church and the governor remarried in the church... Now, one of the reason for the annulment was abt infidelity and when too many side talk was going on in the diocese, the bishop tried explaining things to the faithful. Though I wasnt in the actual mass, but what my friends gathered from the bishop's explaination was that the marriage was disolved on the ground of infidelity...

Um...I am not very sure if the Bishop's explanation was understood or very thorough; but from your post I got the impression that the Bishop may have been quite vague in his explanation, leaving a lot to the imaginations of the faithful.

If indeed the grounds for the annulled marriage of the governor was "infidelity" then it suggests that the governor found a way to establish that the 'wife' was not 'true' to her marital vows.

Being true to one's marital vows, like I mentioned earlier, entail having a sincerity of purpose when taking those vows. One who had in his heart to be unfaithful during the taking of the vows, only make nonsense of the whole process, hence making the marriage invalid from the beginning.

It's similar to how confession works. It is taught that confession does not start and end at the confessional. It starts with a sincere sorrow for sin and a firm commitment not to sin again.

Without those, one can go for confession without being forgiven of his or her sins because the confession was not valid from the beginning. Though its tough to determine which marriage is valid or not but it is possible in some cases.

I won't pretend to know what truly transpired between the governor and his 'wife' but I am of the opinion that some of our clergy permit divorce under the umbrella of annulment, while some invalid marriages are allowed to continue. Only God is 100% sure of which union is valid or not.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2014
I lift up my eyes to you, to you who sit enthroned in heaven. As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master,  as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he shows us his mercy Ps 123:1-2

Today we are praying for Lacum

May our prayers for you today find favour in the sight of God through Christ our Lord.

Good morning brethren and do have a joy filled day ahead smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:17am On Oct 19, 2014
@Lacum... My prayers for you
May you today find favour in
the sight of God through Christ our Lord, and may God grant you all that your heart desires... Remain blessed...
Kamsified...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 1:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
@Lacum may The Lord bless, keep & direct you. Before you even call, may he answer you. May he cause his face to shine upon you. And may he grant all your heart desires according to his will,this day and all the days of your life. I ask these for you through Christ our Lord Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:08pm On Oct 19, 2014
lacum:
Brothers and sisters pls pray for me that God will assist me to secure a good job. Dis is my 4th yr after school without somthing to help me start a meaningful life. Pls i really need ur prayers. If there is also anybody who is willing to be used by God to assist me in this group, i am ready to speak with d person on phone. Tks

"Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit"--- Leviticus 26:4

As we unite in prayers for you today, relax and know that He is the Lord. In due season blessings shall rain.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by titoetal(m): 2:48pm On Oct 19, 2014
Dear Lacum, the Lord provides seeds for the sower and also waters it to blossom into higg yields.

May the Lord bless your efforts and heart desires to blossom into fruitfulness, good fruits that will last through Christ Jesus - Amen. Rejoice child of God.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by modestdude(m): 7:51pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lacum, may the blessings, protection, goodness and mercy of the Lord follow you now and forevermore. Amen

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by stunningjudy(f): 10:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
Lacum, i pray that our Lord Jesus will turn around ur situation the way he turned water into wine. Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:38am On Oct 20, 2014
You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. Deut 28:3

Today we are praying for Ubenedictus

May our prayers for you today find favour in the sight of God through Christ our Lord.

Good morning brethren and do have a blessed day ahead smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:56am On Oct 20, 2014
SalC:
Lol he should take 30th, I reserved 22nd for Italo and if we have more people, we will have to start pairing.

Happy weekend my princess smiley

Thanks for reserving 22nd for me.

Ubenedictus, may the Lord continue to keep you in his grace, love and mercy.

Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:00am On Oct 20, 2014
@Ubenedictus... May the blessing of the Lord continue to be with you all through the days of your life...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:21am On Oct 20, 2014
Rich4god:
btoks just answered you, the church doesn't divorce people, i will go on a limp and state that the church doesn't have the power to effect a divorced.

I already explained that a divorced is different from an anulment
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:40am On Oct 20, 2014
Rich4god:

i think there was a case of an american politician who ask for an annulment i think his last name is kerry, i cant remember is 1st name. He said the marriage should be annulled because when he was taking his vows on his wedding day he "didn't mean them", in essence he said he planed to be unfaithful so the marriage should be annuled.

Those are usually the hardest cases to determine because it has to do with intention. The diocese annulled the marriage and the guys wife appealed the decision in the vatican, the vatican, scrapped the decision of the diocese and said that the guy is lieing, there is no proof that on his wedding day he planned to be unfaithful,

infidelity in marriae isn't cause for annulment unless the infidelity was preplanned before the wedding.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:50am On Oct 20, 2014
Ubenedictus,

May all your desires come through. May you grow more in wisdom. May the almighty God always be with you as he perfects all that concerns you through Christ our lord.

Amen!

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.