Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (462) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516961 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2017
SalC:
The truth is ......i don't even know the said song.

Thanks!
Syn..can..do..more!! smiley

Hahaha, so you decided rather to compose something from Syncan instead. cheesy Ekelekwaa m gi.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:05pm On Feb 10, 2017
jnrbayano:

You don't know this song? shocked

They don't sing it in zumunta mata choir. cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:06pm On Feb 10, 2017
Syncan:

Hahaha, so you decided rather to compose something from Syncan instead. cheesy Ekelekwaa m gi.
Yeah, just testing my creativity. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:07pm On Feb 10, 2017
Syncan:

They don't sing it in zumunta mata choir. cheesy
Lol,
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:12pm On Feb 10, 2017
SalC:
Yeah, just testing my creativity. smiley

Am glad to be of help...Even if it's just a little matter of allowing the use of my moniker.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:15am On Feb 11, 2017
Syncan:

I actually think Cardinal Muller should be given more hearing by the Pope, both by virtue of his office and by his views on issues. However, on this issue of Amoris Laetitia, let's continue to pray for the guidance of the holy spirit.
i'm not sure the pope is very particular about the theology of the whole thing, with the pope stacking the episcopate with liberals it is clear cardinal muller, sarah and burke are a dying breed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:57am On Feb 11, 2017
Ubenedictus:
i'm not sure the pope is very particular about the theology of the whole thing, with the pope stacking the episcopate with liberals it is clear cardinal muller, sarah and burke are a dying breed

Hmm...You've got a real concern there, just that I have always been of the belief that if God should be so interested in Nigeria; as to intervene in her leadership as many see it to be, then intervening in His Church's matter is a foregone conclusion since there is a promise of that.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:49pm On Feb 11, 2017
Syncan:

Hmm...You've got a real concern there, just that I have always been of the belief that if God should be so interested in Nigeria; as to intervene in her leadership as many see it to be, then intervening in His Church's matter is a foregone conclusion since there is a promise of that.
the church will continue to bear witness to Christ till the end of time, she will always survive d gates of hell that much we know as fact however, that promise doesnt protect catholics from crisis of faith history can bear witness to that. The way things are going we are heading for a crisis. We already have sedesvacantist and d sspx going to one extreme, we have priests teaching heresy, over 200 communities of nuns just told off d vatican, the female priest group+ d old issues of modernism and secularism......, now even good catholics dont know what the church is saying with the clergy happy to contradict themselves.

It is a fine recipe for crisis.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2017
Good afternoon brothers and sisters in the Lord. I greet you all in the name of Jesus + Mary.

Happy new year, month, week to you all. Happy belated birthday to you syncan.
Pls, I have a kweshion o. Is it compulsory that one pays tithe in the particular church/parish they attend? Also, must it be paid to the church? That is, can I pay my tithes in another parish different from the one I attend regularly, send it directly to one priest or to my parish priest, drop it with st Vincent de Paul or even use it myself for any good deed or some work of charity?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:53pm On Feb 13, 2017
chikk:
Good afternoon brothers and sisters in the Lord. I greet you all in the name of Jesus + Mary.

Pls, I have a kweshion o. Is it compulsory that one pays tithe in the particular church/parish they attend? Also, must it be paid to the church? That is, can I pay my tithes in another parish different from the one I attend regularly, send it directly to one priest or to my parish priest, drop it with st Vincent de Paul or even use it myself for any good deed or some work of charity?
the 1st question should be: is it compulsory to pay tithe? What u give to God is largely ur business whether it is 30% or 50%, how u give it is also largely ur business. The parish is usually d cell of xtian life that is usually where d money goes but u are free to go to d vicentians, charities or even another parish.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2017
chikk:

Thanks Sunshine, God bless you.

Truth is that, to the best of my knowledge you're under no obligation to pay tithe in the catholic church in Nigeria. Hence it is a private pious practice for which you must go about in a manner that gives you the needed edification and peace of heart. The church places an obligation of material support on all adults who are able to do so, but does not place a percentage on it, nor does the church pretend to be under the Levitical priestly observations. The church raises funds through various other means such as harvest and bazaar, second collections ...free will donations (in which category your tithe could actually fall) etc. Hence it's entirely a private devotion thing for you to allocate what percent to give and for what purpose. You are free to give it in support of the church in whatever way you deem fit. While you make your offerings each week and participate in other activities like harvest and bazaar in the parish you frequent, nothing stops you from making your tithe a gift to the smaller parish that needs it to sustain the priest (If yours is a big one, for charity begins at home), to st. Vincent de paul, nor does anything prevent you from using it to give shelter to a homeless neighbor if your heart moves you thus. These two passages portray the teaching of the church in regards to collections from lay faithful, emphasis on the bold:

"On the first day of the week each of you should set aside whatever he can afford" 1 Corinthians 16:2

"So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift (donation), so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction. Consider this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work". 2 Corinthians 9:5-8
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the 1st question should be: is it compulsory to pay tithe? What u give to God is largely ur business whether it is 30% or 50%, how u give it is also largely ur business. The parish is usually d cell of xtian life that is usually where d money goes but u are free to go to d vicentians, charities or even another parish.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:12pm On Feb 13, 2017
chikk:

You are under no obligation to pay tithe, but if you must, pay to anyone or anywhere your spirit directs you to.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 4:52am On Feb 14, 2017
Thanks everyone, for your responses. They're well appreciated.

I asked because most parishes I've been attending in the recent times have customized tithe envelopes and announce the collection like kilode. That practice was admonished by the Abuja archbishop sometime last year, that parishes should stop making a fuss about it and instead let it be a freewill thing.

I was surprised when I came to Lagos to meet the same thing. They talk about tithe envelopes more than they talk about certain important things that are food for the soul. Eg. I never attended evening benediction(u know that short Sunday service that lasts 15mins or so with Eucharistic exposition and adoration) in my 6yrs stay in Abuja. Most parishes in the east have benediction every Sunday.

Anyway, my point is, in this new Lagos parish, I noticed the church doesn't need the money. Parish house is completed. Church too. They have school, hospital, even bakery. Harvest and bazaar yields tens of millions. Yet, when one SMA priest came to the pariah to solicit for support, who sigh? So I figured they don't need the money, shekina. I may be wrong o and definitely don't have money sef, but I use my common sense on certain things.

Therefore, permit me to use this medium to speak for these SMA priests and groups. You guys pro'lly know them already but then... They are a group of priests and Leity that dedicate their lives to missionary works. For me, that's what Christianity is all about. You can look them up and find out how you can contribute to their services to God, if you so please.

Thanks syncan, ubenedictus, salc and all... Happy val everyone

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 4:58am On Feb 14, 2017
FYI, syncan and ubenedictus, I sight you people looking at another man's wife. Mechienu Anya unu o. Meanwhile, thanks both of you for finally proving to me that you are not ordained. I used to think one of you is a seminarian and the other... Well,... A monk

Ehen... who is pointing finger at jnrbayano as the next 'I do' man. Bayano, don't get me wrong o, I really do wish you so, but I'm sure u know that only a finger was pointed at you. The rest were pointing at the pointer

I didn't say anything o... But it looks like stryktlymi will be next. Just ameboing

Una good night... Or morning. Can't believe I haven't slept... Chai
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:20am On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:
FYI, syncan and ubenedictus, I sight you people looking at another man's wife. Mechienu Anya unu o. Meanwhile, thanks both of you for finally proving to me that you are not ordained. I used to think one of you is a seminarian and the other... Well,... A monk

Ehen... who is pointing finger at jnrbayano as the next 'I do' man. Bayano, don't get me wrong o, I really do wish you so, but I'm sure u know that only a finger was pointed at you. The rest were pointing at the pointer

I didn't say anything o... But it looks like stryktlymi will be next. Just ameboing

Chai sis, insomnia is not good oh, my eye no dey there oh, it is all syncan, i was only giving him brotherly advice in charity.

chai monk and seminarian? lol. e don tay wey i hear from stryktlyimi.

Dont mind bayano, we are all watching
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 10:54am On Feb 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Chai sis, insomnia is not good oh, my eye no dey there oh, it is all syncan, i was only giving him brotherly advice in charity.

.....And the watched is laughing cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 10:56am On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:

Chikito akolu bata 18yard box... cheesy

Where did you go since? undecided
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 10:59am On Feb 14, 2017
I enjoyed all your answers to Chikk's question.

CC: Ubenedictus, Syncan and SalC

Pls where is Italo?

Can marriage separate us with our beloved brethren? MBAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MrAladin, the landlord, where are you?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:28am On Feb 14, 2017
jnrbayano:
I enjoyed all your answers to Chikk's question.

CC: Ubenedictus, Syncan and SalC

Pls where is Italo?

Can marriage separate us with our beloved brethren? MBAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mr Aladin, the landlord, where are you?
Italo took an extended honeymoon. He wants to be called papa without delay.

Salc hope italo dey alright...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:29am On Feb 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

.....And the watched is laughing cheesy
With all that ur six packs and chest u no want make we see u on suit abi?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:42am On Feb 14, 2017
Syncan:

Thanks Sunshine, God bless you.

Truth is that, to the best of my knowledge you're under no obligation to pay tithe in the catholic church in Nigeria. Hence it is a private pious practice for which you must go about in a manner that gives you the needed edification and peace of heart. The church places an obligation of material support on all adults who are able to do so, but does not place a percentage on it, nor does the church pretend to be under the Levitical priestly observations. The church raises funds through various other means such as harvest and bazaar, second collections ...free will donations (in which category your tithe could actually fall) etc. Hence it's entirely a private devotion thing for you to allocate what percent to give and for what purpose.
sunshine? syncan and pet names na 5 nd 6

abeg any body get that picture of d 5 and 6 man
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 12:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:
With all that ur six packs and chest u no want make we see u on suit abi?

Trouble finder undecided smiley

Hope you wont decline when an IV comes to you in the fullness of time.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 12:09pm On Feb 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:

Trust me, you don't wanna know which one you were assumed to be.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 12:10pm On Feb 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

Chikito akolu bata 18yard box... cheesy

Where did you go since? undecided

Vertican city. I had some issue I needed to straighten out with the Pope. I'm tayad of hearing different stories from different people.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 12:12pm On Feb 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:
sunshine? syncan and pet names na 5 nd 6

abeg any body get that picture of d 5 and 6 man

Lol. Even me surprise for the pet name. Because it's actually real to some people. Except he's on my bbm it'd be a weird coincidence.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:14pm On Feb 14, 2017
jnrbayano:

Trouble finder undecided smiley

Hope you wont decline when an IV comes to you in the fullness of time.
In the fullness of time? I just remembered femi adesina on the ministerial appointment....

It took bubu 6 months to appoints ministers hope we wont wait 6yrs to chop fried rice.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 12:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:

Ahh before you use "both"..... I'd like to say.

One i know is not ordained, but the other....the other...erm...the other.....let me pause here. smiley

And for your finger pointing excercise, both the pointer and the pointee are candidates of i do. smiley

As for Striktlymi....the guy matter get pomo inside cheesy
My rosary is in water.... The way he is searching for a "woman washing machine"....erm i mean a home care person and his being unsympathetic to women's concerns, ...i know i need to add fasting to my prayers for him cheesy

And Chikk Chikk, try to sleep earlier than 5am o. You can't just keep vigils like this nah wink
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:24pm On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:

Lol. Even me surprise for the pet name. Because it's actually real to some people. Except he's on my bbm it'd be a weird coincidence.
I'm not so sure its coincidence, salc and syncan have a funny way of dropping small bombs.

unless he is just filled with the holyspirit and is enjoying a bit of God's knowledge which allows him to guess well.

ok syncan come nd tell us if u are siliently stalking our sister.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:25pm On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:

Trust me, you don't wanna know which one you were assumed to be.
I have a rough guess... it has an 'm' and a 'k'.

am i right or am i right?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:26pm On Feb 14, 2017
chikk:

Vertican city. I had some issue I needed to straighten out with the Pope. I'm tayad of hearing different stories from different people.
Weytin dear papa tell u?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:35pm On Feb 14, 2017
SalC:

Ahh before you use "both"..... I'd like to say.

One i know is not ordained, but the other....the other...erm...the other.....let me pause here. smiley

And for your finger pointing excercise, both the pointer and the pointee are candidates of i do. smiley

As for Striktlymi....the guy matter get pomo inside cheesy
My rosary is in water.... The way he is searching for a "woman washing machine"....erm i mean a home care person and his being unsympathetic to women's concerns, ...i know i need to add fasting to my prayers for him cheesy

And Chikk Chikk, try to sleep earlier than 5am o. You can't just keep vigils like this nah wink
Salc salc salc, why doth thou not speak thy mind?

since chikk brought up the marriage issue then i must ask jnrbayano what he is waiting for? this match seem made from heaven...
two white bird sitting on a wall one name chi d other named... ok i don finish.

lol @ Prayer and fasting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.