Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80282 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fadinus(m): 4:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dee'aba:
What are my chances of gaining admission into any university in the US for masters. I studied sociology and anthropology an I finished with a 2.2 3.3cgpa. I want 2 go into management. Do I have any chance?
The answer to your question will be best given here
https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/399
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fadinus(m): 4:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
Teminio: Thanks babyosisi, great job you are doing?

Please I have some questions for clarification.
Is it true that one cant get into American Universities before the age of eighteen, that's a sixteen years old cant be offered admission? I have a daughter who is desirous of studying in the US and she will only be sixteen when she will be out of secondary school by next year.

Again, what are the chances of relocating to America for a Nigerian family of five, now that Visa lottery is no more open for the country?

And lastly, which university offer the most cost-effective studies but high educational standard?

Thank you for anticipated response.

Go here for bettter answer to ur query
https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/399
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Wallie(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
Option 1 – Going back to school
If you're here legally, go back to school and try to get another degree or certificate. Doing so will not only get you your next interview but will help you better assimilate into the new environment. Once in school, you must do all you can to get very good grades because your gpa will be asked by most employers for the first ~10 years of your career out of school. Actually, some employers won't even look at you if you're not at the top of your class academically.

Also, doing very well in school will open doors to scholarships that you could use to defray your cost of living and/or tuition.

Be confident in your abilities and have "never say die" attitude. You will be surprised how far you can go by just pushing yourself a little past your comfort zone.

Option 2 – Working crazy hours for a few years
If you're not the schooling type and you have your papers, then I would advise you to get a job that will allow you to work unlimited hours of overtime but you have to keep your eyes on your goal which is to save an ungodly amount of money to open your own business. Since you’re not highly skilled, you won’t be making a lot of money per hour.

Jobs in Nursing can allow you to work about 72 hrs per week with a day off (12 hours per day, 6 days a week). If you’re paid about $12 per hour, working 72 hours per week can net you about $55k per year before taxes. If you’re smart and save about $25k into your 401k (retirement savings account), you won’t be taxed on a significant portion until you take the money out but only if you’re less than 59 years old.

Anyway, once you have enough to start a business, just get a loan from the 401k instead of making a withdrawal and it will be tax free plus the interest you’ll be paying on the loan will be paid to you (since it’s your money in the 401k account). What you gain from this transaction is the ability to save money tax-free while using the same to finance your business.

Option 3 – Technically minded but hates school
Get certificates in all that CISCO stuff and if you know your beans, you’ll easily get job offers that will make people question the need to go to school. Earning over $100k as a contractor is common place but you really have to know the subject matter.

You also have the option of coding but you’ll probably have to own your own business and bid for contracts.

Option 4 - Lazy and wants to make money
If you’re lucky you might make “some” money for a few years but be rest assured that your days are numbered. The criminal justice system in the US is very effective. Enough said.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
As long as you won't be appearing in your company's advert grin
Lmao! Instead they would use a pretty blonde lady.

Fox News female anchors are almost all blonde, that's why their ratings are very high.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
DSB: Osisi and Eze are doing a great job with this thread. However, there are also opportunities for you if you are good with your hands. Vocational skills are paid well here. Plumbing, house flipping, electrician etc....So don't be biased towards the bluecollar, if you aint that bookish, you still have a chance.

NOTE: The number of years someone you know has spent in the US does not translate to them perfectly knowing about the system. I am talking from experience. Do your own research and do not 'look unto anyone for help'. Some people do help but most only talk with no action. Independence is a veritable tool in the US. You might be lucky to have friends or family that will help but still have it at the back of your mind that you are on your own.

I wasted almost 2years because I was waiting to be helped. when I realised I was on my own, I sped up real fast. It is my 3rd year and I have a good job (a little less than 90k/yr) and running my msc by the side. Most importantly, plan ahead and do not let anyone sweettalk you into not pursuing your dreams. You can be anything you wanna be in this country.

Goodluck

Thank you
I wrote that earlier
I know someone a Nigerian who worked in a few banks here as loan and mortgage officer ,got laid off when the economy tanked in 2008, he tried his hands in other things and was just scrapping by
He is very handy ,you know the type of guy that can figure out what is wrong with a car and how to fix it and decided to go blue collar.
He got into a truck driving school for a few weeks ,got a commercial drivers license and is now making over $30 bucks an hour.
I know a Nigerian that owns a mechanic work shop
People who are handy can make a good living

Please be a little bit more detailed about what you did and how you did it
You could help someone who is already here wasting time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
What about 666 in America
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 4:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:
Lmao! Instead they would use a pretty blonde lady.

Fox News female anchors are almost all blonde, that's why their ratings are very high.
For you to notice..... Dare I say, you watch them partly cause of that?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
adebayor1490: What about 666 in America
It hasn't reached the US. I hope I don't experience it sha cheesy
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
tdade: For you to notice..... Dare I say, you watch them partly cause of that?
I barely watch Fox News, but when I do, it's usually the blondes I see.
My favorite cable news channel remains CNN.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
adebayor1490: What about 666 in America
people take this thing very seriously o! Two weeks ago, my mum told a friend of my sis that he should try US and he foolishly said 'I've hated that place cause of 666, I like south Africa instead.' Old woman was livid. Look pal, just face what you are there for and leave '666' to worry about itself.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
ozo_emeka: Listen to the trash you are offering. He should marry someone for a green card?

If you are ACTUALLY nigerian american (not one of those immigrants who managed to get "papers"wink you would encourage him to look at programs like the Meyerhoff Program for people in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), you will encourage him to take advantage of organizations that offer scholarships to Africans or people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You will encourage him to apply to NASA, they accept immigrants and provide you a work visa

But no, you, the "one who knows what she is talking about" is suggesting to a "graduate looking for greener pastures" to commit a crime (marry a girl for papers) and risk going to jail.

GREAT ADVICE

The only trash I see here is what u just wrote. Can u read that msg u just quoted again.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
Please folks,I won't answer any Private messages ,I apologize
Ask your questions here
There are other folks that will help me answer and there are others that may benefit from it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:
I barely watch Fox News, but when I do, it's usually the blondes I see.
My favorite cable news channel remains CNN.
I'll translate that to 'CNN have better babes.' Lol...
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
I live in America for the past 15 years, i make good salary my wife is a RN we have 3 kids, and sometimes we struggle for cash. That situation scares me a lot because our kids are young and really i don't want to live like this having high blood pressure wahala all the time. The problem with America is you don't really own anything, everything is bills on top of that there always things that eat up your savings. ie: charges from late fees,speeding tickets, insurance copays and so on. When you compare to your friends in Africa, they have not many worries as far as kids are concern since you don't have to for baby sitting ; you will have a aunt, cousin, niece to do the home works for you, everything you own is owned straight up , there is no monthly payments wahala. If you are able to open your own business or secure a decent job in Nigeria, it would be way better than living in America.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Teminio: 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thanks Dayo for your response.
Please is college the same as University as referred in your comment?
Please what do you mean by "especially since you all won't have papers don't try it. I need to understand.
dayokanu:

1 You daughter can get into University even at her age if she writes and passes her SAT and gets admission into a college

2. Migrating with a family of 5 is harddd!!!! especially since you all wont even have papers dont even try it. Thats what I would say
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Ajibel(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
@babyosisi,,, I have a bff who wants to study medicine (paediatrics) in the states... Can you (or anyone) suggest some schools she can attempt please. Thanks in anticipation. I'm making my findings too, buh it maybe easier to hear from you (or others) smiley
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Treyknowles(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
Hi, tanks for sharing this info its really cool, i finished secondary school last year and am about to enroll for SAT nd TOEFL but am sixteen goin to seventeen, do u think that age is to small to study in u.s.?God bless u
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by DSB(m): 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Thank you
I wrote that earlier
I know someone a Nigerian who worked in a few banks here as loan and mortgage officer ,got laid off when the economy tanked in 2008, he tried his hands in other things and was just scrapping by
He is very handy ,you know the type of guy that can figure out what is wrong with a car and how to fix it and decided to go blue collar.
He got into a truck driving school for a few weeks ,got a commercial drivers license and is now making over $30 bucks an hour.
I know a Nigerian that owns a mechanic work shop
People who are handy can make a good living

Please be a little bit more detailed about what you did and how you did it
You could help someone who is already here wasting time

My job falls under OPTION 3 from Wallie's post. I have my papers and hold a B. Eng from Naija. After failing to get a job with my Bachelors I proceeded to do some telecoms training which helped me secured my current job (Idea came through a Nigerian I met on Linkedin). But I don't wanna be on contract forever so I'm doing my Masters in IT security so I can settle down in a couple of years. It is way easier to hustle while you are single. It is challenging to combine work and school but the gains outwiegh the pain in the long run.

http://www.telecomcareers.net/ is a nice place to advertise yourself. Green card is a deal breaker though.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by martcrown: 4:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dudu200: 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
madam thanks for ur advice i really want to come over there i ve Bsc in computer/statistics but i don't ve anybody in d us. How do i go abt pls can u be of help? I can finance myself.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Treyknowles(m): 4:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
And how many years before one can be a doctor cause i read a blog dat it takes close to twelve years
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
Teminio: Thanks Dayo for your response.
Please what do you mean by "especially since you all won't have papers don't try it. I need to understand.

Yes, college and university mean the same thing. However, technically speaking, college is a tertiary institution which specializes in a single field ie Arts, Natural sciences, Applied sciences etc.
The 2-year institutions here can only bear the college nomenclature.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Teminio: Thanks Dayo for your response.

College is the same thing as University

If you dont have papers means if you dont have legal residence . A green card dont try it especially with a family because how would you cope with a family of 5 with legal residence. Without legal residence you can barely get a job, get a drivers license or even rent an apartment

If you are single you can sleep on friends couch etc but how can you do that with 5 kids?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Kenfil(f): 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
Haba all dis fighting bout naija and America..Anyways, America is over hyped....just don't hv d mentality dat money grows on d tree and be ready to hustle den u will be fine....make I go face my own wahala jare
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Michlin22: 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
pls wat chance do i have having a virgin p,though i ve my money for travellin processing bt want to travel to US to study law
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Teminio: 4:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Nice answer
The key to college admission for the daughter is her SAT score
She has to kill that exam
The highest score is 2400
If her daughter gets 2100 and above colleges will be begging her to come and collect scholarship
I am serious
Even if she doesn't get a full scholarship,the tuition she'll be pay will be very reduced.

There is an Igbo girl I met last year, JJC,she got an admission on full scholarship to one of the historically black universities here in the USA straight from Lagos.
Her arrival was her first time ever in the USA
So it can be done.

Thank you so much.
Is college same as University, college in Nigeria is secondary school?
Please, I still want your opinion about the family migration. If no, what alternative?
Any idea of how to check for schools that offers scholarship to African students?

Many thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Krisddon: 4:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ op, reading this whole conversations got me real scared. Though i'm not planning to travel to the States but peradventure the opportunity comes, does it mean nothing for me? I studied Local Government and Development Studies in A.B.U
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tdade(m): 4:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Teminio: Thank you so much.
Is college same as University, college in Nigeria is secondary school?
Please, I still want your opinion about the family migration. If no, what alternative?
Any idea of how to check for schools that offers scholarship to African students?

Many thanks
Read the posts above. Your question has been answered. Yes, college is a secondary institution in Nigeria, just as it is a post secondary institution in UK(A levels, IB, Cambridge pre-u). Differs from place to place.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu: Nice one Osisi for opening this thread

I would advise anyone in Nigeria who wants to come to US to do so, Its truly a land flowing with milk and honey if you know what to do.

First of all come with a mind of going to school and learning new skills, Be flexible, Have an open mind and not a defeatist attitude

I came to US in 2008 August and I can only thank God for the opportunity. I have several friends on this same Nairaland whom I met here that came around 2010 and are doing verrrry goood

I know 3 of them who comes to visit me regularly and we talk all of them make between 75k and 110k a yr, The three of them came in 2010.

America has been good to me and I would advise anyone with drive to succeed to come

NB: I had an excellent job in Nigeria before leaving and still havent regretted any day of it
thank you for your feedback. Please can you tell us in full details your ordeal to the US? Did you secure a job there from Nigeria? And more...
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 4:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia: I live in America for the past 15 years, i make good salary my wife is a RN we have 3 kids, and sometimes we struggle for cash. That situation scares me a lot because our kids are young and really i don't want to live like this having high blood pressure wahala all the time. The problem with America is you don't really own anything, everything is bills on top of that there always things that eat up your savings. ie: charges from late fees,speeding tickets, insurance copays and so on. When you compare to your friends in Africa, they have not many worries as far as kids are concern since you don't have to for baby sitting ; you will have a aunt, cousin, niece to do the home works for you, everything you own is owned straight up , there is no monthly payments wahala. If you are able to open your own business or secure a decent job in Nigeria, it would be way better than living in America.

I understand your state of mind, but i personally think migrating to the States is αℓωαчs better for those who are single, or lemme say you αlσиє until you are financially stable, raising up children, having a spouse is a hell lotta responsibility especially if you are not that owkay or lemme say still managing. The best thing to do in this kindaa situation is to cut your coat according to your size, manage your resources and invest in essentials and profitable things.

Notwithstanding, if you are young, abled, hardworking and disciplined, don't think anything can stop you from thriving and making it/succeeding in the states. America is a land of opportunities, just set your targets and goals right and work towards it.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia: I live in America for the past 15 years, i make good salary my wife is a RN we have 3 kids, and sometimes we struggle for cash. That situation scares me a lot because our kids are young and really i don't want to live like this having high blood pressure wahala all the time. The problem with America is you don't really own anything, everything is bills on top of that there always things that eat up your savings. ie: charges from late fees,speeding tickets, insurance copays and so on. When you compare to your friends in Africa, they have not many worries as far as kids are concern since you don't have to for baby sitting ; you will have a aunt, cousin, niece to do the home works for you, everything you own is owned straight up , there is no monthly payments wahala. If you are able to open your own business or secure a decent job in Nigeria, it would be way better than living in America.

I hear you well
Nobody says life is easy
Not to diss anyone but there are a lot of people in Nigeria that make money by embezzling public funds and obtaining bribes
It is a common way to make money
People who work in pension office have always taken about the 200 Naira change on top of my father's pension since he retired and that is when they decide to pay it
Imagine 200 Naira from every pensioner in a whole state,how much is that monthly?
So When these people build mansions,you want to compare them to yourself making an honest living and paying your taxes.
Everyone mooching off the government and other people in some fashion
I went to get a Nigerian passport in my state capital,they charged me three times the amount and gave me a receipt with the official fee
You want to compare yourself with that person?
Or is it the pastor fleecing the flock you want to compare to?
Those with relatives and connection in Aso rock and govt house that became multi millionaires overnight after their relatives got into places of authority.

You and your wife need to cut your coat according to your size and don't compete with anyone
Live frugally
Buy things you can comfortably afford
For a house let the income of one person be used to qualify for mortgage
Shop wisely
Save save save
Open a 401k with your job and 403Bs,IRA and save
Don't get into the Nigerian party lifestyle scene and waste money on nonsense to show off and belong
Every penny you save will make sense tomorrow
I drive an 8 year old car and I plan on driving it till my oldest two graduate college.
My friends drive Mercedes and Lexus,I am not moved one bit
They know I can afford to walk into a car lot today and drive off with a Mercedes
Kini big deal
My husband drove a Camry for 10 years before he bought his dream car
Set your priorities right

I agree with your last paragraph and I wrote that earlier
If you are already settled and making a good living in Nigeria,stay back there
Come and vacation and go back home
This thread is mainly for the younger people just starting off
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kaka22(m): 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
I am presently an undergraduate studying political science in Nigeria. I plan to further my studies in the states and stay after my Masters there. Please what are my chances in securing employment in USA?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.