Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,671 members, 7,813,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? (19211 Views)

To Unemployed Graduates; What are You doing to Change Your Situation? / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Getting Jobs With Ease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Sike(m): 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
The one I'm facing now is the shi. Imagine a supervisor in Wapco cement Lafarge in Ewekoro telling me he'd be collecting 10% of my salary every month before he could help me secure a job, s casual one for that matter. sad
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Sagamite(m): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
Sike: The one I'm facing now is the shi. Imagine a supervisor in Wapco cement Lafarge in Ewekoro telling me he'd be collecting 10% of my salary every month before he could help me secure a job, s casual one for that matter. sad

Why don't you take the job, then report him?

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by eagleeye2: 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Sike: The one I'm facing now is the shi. Imagine a supervisor in Wapco cement Lafarge in Ewekoro telling me he'd be collecting 10% of my salary every month before he could help me secure a job, s casual one for that matter. sad
Get the job first and refuse to pay him.. If he harasses you, you record the convo and take it to the www
operation expose corrupt people. No be for only police

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 07, 2013
Scun: You are a really pretty girl, just attend more interviews with your breƤsts exposed (like in your profile pic) it will help.
lol
We are trying to reduce the rate of sezual assault in the work place.
Doing that would be going for trouble
DankemzI:
Unemployable
mr smart arss.
You're not so smart afterall
If you've never heard that phrase before.

Over sabi ppl for NL.with empty heads.

I bet you're so employable you have 10 jobs undecided

2 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Sagamite(m): 10:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
eagle,eye:

Get the job first and refuse to pay him.. If he harasses you, you record the convo and take it to the www
operation expose corrupt people. No be for only police

Even let him record it before getting the job and record him when he is harassing for a cut.

Wicked and selfish arseholes like that need their lives destroyed.

Take the job just for the purpose of getting him sacked. So when he goes looking for a job, he would hopefully meet people like himself.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ogbronx(m): 10:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
ayobase:

U said it all brother.
Holding the Country to a stand still for days if possible, thereby affecting productivity just as OCCUPY agsinst fuel subsidy!

We need mass protest to voice out our displeasures with practical and personal testimonies!
Its not a bad idea but i think we need more than that. We need a formidable body( a youth organisation) against a plague; bad leadership. Voices can he heard alright but protest wont shake heartless people. There has to be a systematic non voilent means of booting these old cargos out of the vital positions of authority. It could start from just a web site and anything is possible. Maybe a youth party?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
iamswizz: To all those Sec.sch students or undergraduates... Pls go and acquire a skill ooo...

Dont say you werent warned by Iamswizz oo

Well, he believes in the NDE cos thats what they say they have acheieved in providing jobs for graduates
Skills so you would start competing with shoe makers,hair dressers, they probably might get u a keke(NAPEB) and start contesting with drivers too!

He's tryna say its better to invest in skills aquisition than education
He doesn't believe in the system at all

Just like me

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Johnsonpac(m): 10:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
Heavy sigh...after i rounded up the national youth service scheme,i decided to apply into a particular state ministry of health(sorry dnt want to mention the state here)after sometime myself with other applicants were made to understand that jobs are being given to indigenous applicants,bt we were told to exercise patient that soonest we will be called...up till today we are still expecting their calls.
This country is just full of tribalism and sentiments when it comes to helping and job opportunities. With this great association (NAUG) i believe we are heading to the top to stop miscreants,job sales,discrimination, sentiments,tribalisand other unlawful acts by employers.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Yusphull(m): 10:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
I feel sorry for we the so call "Leaders of Tomorrow"....hmmmm

we are here reasoning, sharing ideas and views on the difficulties we face, the pains and the agony we went through while applying for jobs and how to proffer a lasting solution to put an end to the menace of unemployment that has eaten deep into us and some of us are talking "gibberish". If you can't contribute meaningfully to the topic; is it a must you talk ?...

Plss let's use our brain to think and reason something reasonable and meaningful coz its not up there for decoration....

#peace#
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by realteflon(m): 10:49pm On Oct 07, 2013
DankemzI:

Make Sure Miscreants dont Hijack the protest & cause Mayhem Vandalizing & Looting cause if they do?

Life's.... I mean fresh unemployed Graduates life's will be lost..
Nothing like that would happen. Unemployed graduate know they want and its about making their voice heard by those, I repeat by those whom it pinches. It is our sovereign right.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 10:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
ehixking:

Niger Delta militant
boko boys
All the names you mentioned are very different from us they are all set of violent bodies or movement and like you also agreed to the fact that we have another weapon at our disposal which is a CONTINUED mass protest with good diplomacy(well that very correct in a way)
We are graduates and some of us read
conflict resolution
Peace and conflict
Disarmament
Education
Coupled with the fact that the Nigerians government don't understand the meaning of peaceful protest once they see the crowd they become scared we want to overtake power
They start using our so called friends the POLICE and the military against us- don't forget their children are abroad. Remember those guys that died at the subsidy protest, their parents wept for nothing,and the whole thing ended just like that!
We saw the, light up Naija group,the save Nigeria groups protest where wole shoyinka,femi fallana,tunde bakare, Mallam Farouk Adamu, Mr. Solomon Asemota (SAN), Mallam Uba Sani, Mr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), Hajiya Najatu Mohammed, Prof. Pat Utomi, Pastor Sarah Omakwu, Mr. Femi Falana, Mr. Olawale Oshun, Dr. Tunji Abayomi, Mrs. Ayo Obe, Mallam Naseer Kura, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, Mr. Uche Onyeogocha, and Mr. Clement Nwankwo all protested and nothing happened.
Even when we decided to have the first meeting in Lagos people spoke better than you just did,people talked heaven and earth but just 23 people were present some even left before it all started. So this is the first step we have to confront the government in a way that shows a positive move let us create employment for some,let's catch those selling jobs,let's go to those companies exploiting us and using us for hard labour first , let's partner with international organisation with same motives to partner with them for industrialisation.
Believe we can't do this without even the government on our side...that is when if they don't wanna listen with all the effort we would end it your way!
Stage protest the first day in all state and the next day the whole crew would move to Abuja let's see what happens then!!

It is not that I have never thought of those points you mentioned above.

60% of Nigeria are youths, and if we can be able to stand under a canopy of one voice, then we are keen to bringing change to the country.

My brother, forget about liaising with government over this matter. The government virtually rules in the affaiars of these companies. What will we do if the governement wouldn't yield to our PLEAD.

This government is not our friend. Take itor leave it. We are not part of the plan sef. Sebi u can see!

Well, we can still go ahead with this plan, and see the outcome. But never compare what the youths of a country would do with what the elder statemen would.

Youths of this Nation must be ready to sacrifice if we REALLY wanna experience this change in our generation....many have died in vain...for how long...can't we just do it and nail it once and for all.

Abi u dey fear sey sey the policemen and soldiers will just rain bullets on us cos we dey protest. The world is more civilised than that. The government will be accountable to the world. We all know the crime!

It is like fighting for independence...look at South Africa today. Wasn't it as a result of the sacrifice made?

U can imagine how those men used us back then, without even pursuing the case of those that died in the struggle of FUEL SUBSIDY. SELFISHNESS. The youths were just being used for selfish gains. They never had us at heart. Where are they when students have been home for long due to ASUU and Government at stalemate. Will u say they don't know about how graduates are being exploited. Many questions. But, why haven't they risen to OCCUPY the nation yet to actualising the FUTURE we have singing over 10 yrs ago?

Abi we are not leaders of tomorrow again. And is the 'tomorrow' not 'now'?

Should we say Fuel subsidy is more important than the Education and creation of Jobs.

Just as they are cowards, so are the youths greater cowards and fools!

We have many groups that are liaising with government for job creations, but what is the effect. NOTHING!

Government no send us.....2015 is coming, what's the plan?

NO PAIN, NO GAIN.
JUST TAKE IT AS IT IS!

Government needs to be surprised!

2 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Get the job first maybe he's gonna be our first scapegoat
Either record the conversation either on phone or in his office(do it smart make sure he's unaware
Or send him a message of the payment or where to pay or anything that has to do with that stuff with info like name and some lil detail and store it
Then give me a call let's take legal action
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by write2obi(m): 10:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
ehixking: After my service in Abuja I tried so hard to get a job after several applications,I finally got a contract job at the Ministry of Agriculture and rural development in wuse zone 5 in abuja that shares a fence with the PDP secretariat. We were employed to register Nigerian Farmers so they would be eligible to get fertiliser at a subsidised rate. When we started they were paying us per data entry a sum of 80 naira. So we can work for how long we can and at least get something tangible for the effort
After a weeks the minister for Agric. Dr. Adewumni Adesina came and promised that those people working as contract staffs that would be absorbed as permanent staffs after the exercise.
On the day of his visit was when we noticed that the money been paid to us has been reduced from how much it was to be paid originally.
That day they served us snacks,a bottle of malt or lacacera and a bottle of water each...this continued for a while and stopped again.
Later the 80 naira been paid per data was reduced till it ended with 10 naira.
These are the kind of treatment we get in Nigeria
These are all inhumane ,unethical and barbaric
We have to put a stop to this!!
That's a sad story, my dear all will be well,
I have a dream we'll all work and earn Big money in Nigeria (-_-) Amen

In other News Mark Zuckerberg Has threatened to Ban Goodluck Jonathan's Account on facebook, He said the curses Our President is Getting on his Facebook Account is disrupting Facebook server.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
ehixking: After my service in Abuja I tried so hard to get a job after several applications,I finally got a contract job at the Ministry of Agriculture and rural development in wuse zone 5 in abuja that shares a fence with the PDP secretariat. We were employed to register Nigerian Farmers so they would be eligible to get fertiliser at a subsidised rate. When we started they were paying us per data entry a sum of 80 naira. So we can work for how long we can and at least get something tangible for the effort
After a weeks the minister for Agric. Dr. Adewumni Adesina came and promised that those people working as contract staffs that would be absorbed as permanent staffs after the exercise.
On the day of his visit was when we noticed that the money been paid to us has been reduced from how much it was to be paid originally.
That day they served us snacks,a bottle of malt or lacacera and a bottle of water each...this continued for a while and stopped again.
Later the 80 naira been paid per data was reduced till it ended with 10 naira.
These are the kind of treatment we get in Nigeria
These are all inhumane ,unethical and barbaric
We have to put a stop to this!!
hmmm, So U follow type ba .... Choi Na Afternoon,Morning or full-time be ya own ?

I was Invited by a friend when the s.hi.t was 30naira/page ........ It boast my typing Skills and that was my best experience after making close to 100K in 1 and a-half week on full-time !!!

Sweet experience for me sha !!!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by tunapawizzy: 11:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
lorretta u: It's been four months since I finished my NYSC

Getting a job hasn't been easy. Still in the job market.
But I'll soon overcome
Surely
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by mkoabiola: 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
@op kudos to u.
U can do beta.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by write2obi(m): 11:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
After service, considering the rate of Unemployment in Nigeria, i gathered all the money i saved, and travelled to Dubai with a 2 months Visa in search of Greener pasture.
I toiled the street of Dubai moved from firm to firm, Office to Office, I was racially abused, Discriminated, insulted by people from countries i know Nigeria was meant to be better than, i was offer all sort of petty Jobs, i refused hoping for a better offer.
Finally 2 months was up, I came home empty handed, lost close to #600,000 (Money i started saving from my IT dayz) in that fruitless adventure. That's my story

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by tunapawizzy: 11:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
write2obi: After service, considering the rate of Unemployment in Nigeria, i gathered all the money i saved, and travelled to Dubai with a 2 months Visa in search of Greener pasture.
I toiled the street of Dubai moved from firm to firm, Office to Office, I was racially abused, Discriminated, insulted by people from countries i know Nigeria was meant to be better than, i was offer all sort of petty Jobs, i refused hoping for a better offer.
Finally 2 months was up, I came home empty handed, lost close to #600,000 (Money i started saving from my IT dayz) in that fruitless adventure. That's my story
Ehyah
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by luvola(m): 11:23pm On Oct 07, 2013
Am yet to see a work after staying at home for four month now and still counting after having a good grade...cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. Finished my youth service june 6.we graduate are really suffering in this country
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 11:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
AyodejiCharles: Honestly, I am not totally in support of Graduates looking for non existent jobs. Even the population of youths in Nigeria alone is enough to know that the job availability to Job seekers ratio is just unimaginable .
Honestly entrepreneurship is the way out. I finished my youth service last year March and after attending a Flour Mills Job test in Ikeja, the population of Youths who thronged the venue that day discouraged me from applying for any other job. I built up my web design, and internet business knowledge due to the passion I had for Entrepreneurship .
Also during my NYSC In the North, I attended the War Against Poverty NYSC agric business Training where we were given between 150,000 to 250,000 naira To start up the various Agro Business we were taught in the training. Co-Incidentally just this afternoon, I met a colleague of mine who graduated with me and also attended the War against poverty NYSC agric business training. His testimony really amazed me. He said that he acquired other necessary entrepreneurship skills in addition to the training we were taught during service. He also invested In even other Agric businesses we were not taught, and also manages his sister's herbal health product . This same guy finally concluded our brief chat with the news that his new car is currently with the Car wash guys .
If all youths can just think deep inside themselves and think big to achieve the meditation of their hearts, I believe that we will simply forget about the government jobs that don't exist anymore and be productive to the economy thereby becoming employers of labor.
Finally, I also remember when I was in 400 level of the university, one of my age mates in secondary school was nominated for the Future Awards at the age of 22!
Guess the category he was nominated for?
Business Owner of The Year. ...
Guess the Business he was involved in? Production of Stylish Looking Buttons! Yeah, you saw that very clearly... Buttons
......You can Google him.... Sylvester Kay-Adade .
He is a very handsome guy oooooooo, so ladies don't fall for him oooooooo, lol
...p. s
I just saw this interview with him Online... read it and be inspired. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen
www.giditalking./the-future-of-gidi/sylvester-kay-adade/
Also read this article and get inspired ;
www.thefuturenigeria.com/business-owner-of-the-year/

That we are all individually successful without the help of government doesn't mean we should care less about collective interest of this Nation. That is gonna be SELFISHNESS!

Even, the government (regulatory body) will be demanding for exorbitant amount of money to approve a SMALL scale business. The government no dey help the development of this country since the youths are denied many opportunities to enhancing productivity.

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by luvola(m): 11:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
bro you can give me the offer .. Never outshine your master. He should secure you one first then you protest later. Gbam
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by nenergy(m): 11:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
My Job search lasted 9 long months. The long wait was not easy, but it was worth it.
Read my story here: https://www.nairaland.com/1469312/memoir-job-seeker-nairalander-job-search
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by sCun: 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
write2obi: After service, considering the rate of Unemployment in Nigeria, i gathered all the money i saved, and travelled to Dubai with a 2 months Visa in search of Greener pasture.
How did 600k finance your journey and 2 months stay?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 11:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Johnsonpac: Heavy sigh...after i rounded up the national youth service scheme,i decided to apply into a particular state ministry of health(sorry dnt want to mention the state here)after sometime myself with other applicants were made to understand that jobs are being given to indigenous applicants,bt we were told to exercise patient that soonest we will be called...up till today we are still expecting their calls.
This country is just full of tribalism and sentiments when it comes to helping and job opportunities. With this great association (NAUG) i believe we are heading to the top to stop miscreants,job sales,discrimination, sentiments,tribalisand other unlawful acts by employers.

I think it is will be better if
-Sex
-State
-Status
-Religion
are being excused from CV.

It will deflate discriminations to a reasonable level.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 11:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
ogbronx: Its not a bad idea but i think we need more than that. We need a formidable body( a youth organisation) against a plague; bad leadership. Voices can he heard alright but protest wont shake heartless people. There has to be a systematic non voilent means of booting these old cargos out of the vital positions of authority. It could start from just a web site and anything is possible. Maybe a youth party?

I have been thinking of something like "Nigeria Youth Democratic Party"

Will it be allowed?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by vladimiros: 11:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
The problem with some of you unemployed is that you feel its somebody's duty to give you a damn job..

then you wonder why you are Unemployed

keep having that mindsight, OP

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by wableo: 11:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
A lot of billionares are in this country and many of them are not ready to establish at least a company. How do u expect foreigners to come and invest in you country when u have money bur can't . Instead they go outside and build companies and come back which money to flex. They now employ graduates as their gate man. They prefer to do quick business than to build companies. Just look at your state and count billionaires u have, how many of them have company that employ at least 100 people?
The oyinbos that have investments in this country that benefit the people are not even rich compare to our own billionaires.
A lot of things is wrong not only government
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by funshint(m): 11:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Its so pathetic we now hv a country where it's easier 4 an SSCE holder 2 get a job than a graduate. 4 d guy talking about MSc; its basically "purewater". Nobody needs 'ur MSc or watever 2 employ u. The goal of every biz is 2 minimize cost so there's really no place 4 all 'ur advanced degrees. And 2 those blaming d Indians; i don't really think it's their fault because they're trained 2 be entrepreneurs in their country unlike here where our educational system is all about passing exams without any form of value-addition on graduates. Nigeria is alrdy in a very deep shit; very soon alarm go blow. With d way tins are going in no time graduates will be forced 2 beg most so called "Big men" and CEOs to employ them by force even 2 d point of holding a knife 2 their throat! End time tinz i tell u!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos) / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria. / I Need The Contributions Of Experienced Construction Site Engineers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.