Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,738 members, 7,813,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? (19212 Views)

To Unemployed Graduates; What are You doing to Change Your Situation? / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Getting Jobs With Ease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
Mine wasn't hard. 2 weeks after graduation I got my first job as nairaland moderator even though Mr. Osewa didn't give me no training.. Lucky bastardd right? I know
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by write2obi(m): 11:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Scun: How did 600k finance your journey and 2 months stay?
My Brother I went tru a lot, it did, thou it was not easy.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by vladimiros: 12:13am On Oct 08, 2013
I have Zero Sympathy for some of you...

you did not acquire a skill, you thought the job world is like Narnia land and easy

then you now feel entitled to a Job?

omo go and chop Pumor
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by trolling(m): 12:17am On Oct 08, 2013
vladimiros: I have Zero Sympathy for some of you...

you did not acquire a skill, you thought the job world is like Narnia land and easy

omo go and chop Pumor
lol

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by funshint(m): 12:19am On Oct 08, 2013
vladimiros: I have Zero Sympathy for some of you...

omo go and chop Pumor
All i can say is that you're a BIG FOWL!!

9 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by vladimiros: 12:34am On Oct 08, 2013
funshint:
All i can say is that you're a BIG FOWL!!

have you bothered reading the thread

1) Ine of them decided to quit cuz of low pay, instead of taking the job..

2) the Rest got denied and ranted with some sense of entitlement cuz he found Indian expatriates who could not speak english properly....

that just how most of them are, start small, and when denied don't hate. simple, secondly l;earn a trade.. geta BOOK ON INVESTMENT..

THE NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE WAS THE 3RD BEST PERFORMING LAST YEAR, but the investments are 80% Foriegn, cuz Nigerians don't know how to invest..

simple 50k investment in NAHCO last year could have gotten you 300k
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Thebrightest(m): 12:52am On Oct 08, 2013
wexcko: We have to put stop to this....and together we can....join us now and see how far we can go...U̶̲̥̅ come ,I come together we are there
we know we have to put a stop to this what we want to know is how?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Lifemax: 12:57am On Oct 08, 2013
ehixking:

Niger Delta militant
boko boys
All the names you mentioned are very different from us they are all set of violent bodies or movement and like you also agreed to the fact that we have another weapon at our disposal which is a CONTINUED mass protest with good diplomacy(well that very correct in a way)
We are graduates and some of us read
conflict resolution
Peace and conflict
Disarmament
Education
Coupled with the fact that the Nigerians government don't understand the meaning of peaceful protest once they see the crowd they become scared we want to overtake power
They start using our so called friends the POLICE and the military against us- don't forget their children are abroad. Remember those guys that died at the subsidy protest, their parents wept for nothing,and the whole thing ended just like that!
We saw the, light up Naija group,the save Nigeria groups protest where wole shoyinka,femi fallana,tunde bakare, Mallam Farouk Adamu, Mr. Solomon Asemota (SAN), Mallam Uba Sani, Mr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), Hajiya Najatu Mohammed, Prof. Pat Utomi, Pastor Sarah Omakwu, Mr. Femi Falana, Mr. Olawale Oshun, Dr. Tunji Abayomi, Mrs. Ayo Obe, Mallam Naseer Kura, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, Mr. Uche Onyeogocha, and Mr. Clement Nwankwo all protested and nothing happened.
Even when we decided to have the first meeting in Lagos people spoke better than you just did,people talked heaven and earth but just 23 people were present some even left before it all started. So this is the first step we have to confront the government in a way that shows a positive move let us create employment for some,let's catch those selling jobs,let's go to those companies exploiting us and using us for hard labour first , let's partner with international organisation with same motives to partner with them for industrialisation.
Believe we can't do this without even the government on our side...that is when if they don't wanna listen with all the effort we would end it your way!
Stage protest the first day in all state and the next day the whole crew would move to Abuja let's see what happens then!!
i blv we should start by closing and shoting down all the parastatas that are paying our gradutes p.nut.after using them,4 instance if we can protest and close down the banks were graduates are use 4 sex workers in oder2 bring in costumers for them,close those middle east companies that underpay our graduates 4 sm days,then we will tell them hw much graduates need 2 be paid 4 a start.then they will no that we ar serious.bt first let every state hv there excos.so that if we say start,it will start in everypart of the country at once.thankGod 4 social media.

2 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by rusher14: 2:14am On Oct 08, 2013
You don't have to take the law into your own hands.
What you could do is coordinate a flash mob.
This mob could congregate all of a sudden at the gates of a renowned establishment.
Scream and shout. cry, plead and let your feelings be known.
This should be sudden and devoid of violence, you are after all graduates.
Maximum 90 minutes you are done.
You disperse and the maybe next day 3 days later you move to another venue.
same strategy and the cycle continues.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by lacicrips(m): 2:54am On Oct 08, 2013
oc2fish: Please take heart, with M.Sc and advance PhD in view I worked for the biggest fish farm in Nigeria with a salary of 17k with only Sunday or Saturday off as the case maybe. For a year I was a casual, so they will not pay me the 3k lunch money. GOD HELP US.

You're kidding, right?

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Turbocharged: 3:54am On Oct 08, 2013
People should stop decieving themselves. Some of you out there are outrightly UNEMPLOYABLE.
They went to university to do Konkosa, now they want to be employed: nobody want a dumbass as an employee.

Secondly, I have said it before and still repeating it. School dropouts who underwent one day or week seminars are creating wealth and smiling to the banks, whereas those of you that studied for 4yrs or more are JOBSEEKERS.
SHAME ON YOU.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Donmams(m): 6:10am On Oct 08, 2013
It simply baffles me to hear fools telling graduates to become entrepreneurs. Does one just wake up in the morning to become an entrepreneur? And who says we can all become entrepreneurs? If we all go into business who's going to be an employee?
It is not a sin to eschew entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship is a field for risk takers. Most human beings, emphasis on most, are NOT risk takers. Which is why most people prefer being employees knowing full well that their salary will come unfailingly at the end of the month.
All these mumus asking each and every one of us to become entrepreneurs should please shut the hell up!

4 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by NFSBob(m): 6:15am On Oct 08, 2013
Evry1 dat commented have spoken well on dis issue. My only concern right now is the exploitation of the nigerian workforce by foreigners especially the lebanese and indians. I worked for a coy called indepco @ victoria island. We work on saturdays, they never promote the local staffs, dey falsify douments of expatriate quotas τ̅☺ the govt, dey bring in quacks from their home country and dey pay them huge salaries starting 4rm $9000 per month excluding house, car and health allowance, and they treat their local staffs like shit, dey don't give overtym, if u re sick, dey might wanna sack u. I had a colleague who gave birth with C-Section, with d little I know abt labour laws, she is meant τ̅☺ get @ least 2months free and considering hw she gave birth, she needed τ̅☺ dress her c-section, u won't believe that her jordanian boss threatened τ̅☺ sack her if she didn't come bak τ̅☺ work without little or no consideration for her health. I know that sum pple will say that @ least I had a job. I just wanna sensitize pple advocating for protest that d problem isn't just about unemployment, also hw the workforce ll be treated when employed. It is so bad that when this same coy wanted τ̅☺ undertake an investment in Ghana, when dey were given the labour laws dey would have τ̅☺ adhere τ̅☺ aespecialy on staff welfare, dey b acked off. because they knew dey couldn't exploit dem ova dere. God help us in dis countryb
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 7:07am On Oct 08, 2013
vladimiros: The problem with some of you unemployed is that you feel its somebody's duty to give you a damn job..

then you wonder why you are Unemployed

keep having that mindsight, OP

Why do people keep talking like this because they were only fortunate no to be in our shoes
You might be born with a silver spoon someone else wasn't
You may have a link somewhere whike your neighbour doesn't

You talk like this because you have not been in Nigeria for a while
Because all the gocverment in power during their campaigns
Always promise employment for youth and these are the reasons we voted them in..
Welcome back to Nigeria
Our problem is that we find it hard to quetion the government
The resources we have in Nigeria belongs to us all
So if we demand somethings like employment its Never a sin

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 08, 2013
People always have problems that need solving.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 7:39am On Oct 08, 2013
vladimiros:

have you bothered reading the thread

1) Ine of them decided to quit cuz of low pay, instead of taking the job..

2) the Rest got denied and ranted with some sense of entitlement cuz he found Indian expatriates who could not speak english properly....

that just how most of them are, start small, and when denied don't hate. simple, secondly l;earn a trade.. geta BOOK ON INVESTMENT..

THE NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE WAS THE 3RD BEST PERFORMING LAST YEAR, but the investments are 80% Foriegn, cuz Nigerians don't know how to invest..

simple 50k investment in NAHCO last year could have gotten you 300k

And you think everybody has that 50K to invest?

Investment is a personal thing, we are here talking about fair government for ALL!

A system that works for WHOEVER!

That you are established doesn't mean you should feel the pains of others!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by basilo101: 7:42am On Oct 08, 2013
Our youths shud wake up 2 new reality ön ground. Nigeria is tending towards pure capitalism. We shud nt fold our arms n watch expatriates take all d opportuinities and we celebrate dia invasion as development, den turn 2 d govt 2 giv us jobs. Wat govt owe us is provision of basic infrastures.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 08, 2013
pls no offence but i want to give dis advice to prospective graduates, pls acquire a skill while you can. Plsssss! Well i'm still serving and i'm already learning how to sew, it wasn't easy but i had to dedicate a month alawi to buy a sewing machine to learn faster. I'm still under learning and yet i'm already getting little jobs to sew for people. I'm sure it'll be better if i'm now perfect and back to my home land after service. I pray i'd get a job, but if otherwise(i reject it tho), i have something to fall back on. Pls lets learn something.
I'm also happy about this association NAUG, I'm pretty sure very soon, by the grace of God, the voice of NAUG will be heard.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by medalz(m): 7:57am On Oct 08, 2013
How Barbaric, devilish, unhealthy, irritating, inhumane it is to pay money to get job expecially in Federal parastatal. Imagine a frieend of mine fresh graduate struggling hard to pay for immigration job #150k. Abi to talk of use and dump tactics by our banking industry, an halt must be put all these menace facing the youth. If you think you are not affected remember ur sibblings, friends, colleagues, classmate etc, that may not have ur connections. I think this is a struggle for all either. Unemployed, underemployed and even the employed. #Not everybody will be an entrepreneur. I wholeheartedly support this struggle.

#comrade Medalz
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by nenergy(m): 8:05am On Oct 08, 2013
ayobase:

I think it is will be better if
-Sex
-State
-Status
-Religion
are being excused from CV.

It will deflate discriminations to a reasonable level.
Religion isn't included in my CV, but Nigerian recruiter will require atleast sex and status o!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by nenergy(m): 8:07am On Oct 08, 2013
vladimiros: The problem with some of you unemployed is that you feel its somebody's duty to give you a damn job.
Yes o! You're not ENTITLED, so you need to EMPOWER yourself. This is included in my book foreword.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by emma4eva(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2013
I strongly believe network marketing is one of the surest ways to financial freedom.. Pls do a research on it.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by oladamian: 8:51am On Oct 08, 2013
i remember my interview wif access bank in 2008 at their Idejo annex office (Nicon building). we were almost thru with the interiew wen one of the interviewer askd "ur name is Damian, wot is the meaning?". Guys, i was dumbfounded. i can't imagin i bear a name i don't even kno th meaning. i quickly composed mysef and said "Charisma". The interviewer was angry at me coz i tink h saw d reaction on me an noticed i didnt kno the meaning. he talkd at me and said y shud i lie wen i don't kno the meanin of my name. i was ashamed. i thot i had lost d job. immeadiately i calld my mum and askd 4d meanin so i won't b embarased in again.it wasnt a pleasant experience. i'm sure many of us bear english names we don't even kno the meanin. this is a learnin point guys. to b on a safe side, we can google the d meanin of our names. Cheers
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by rman: 9:01am On Oct 08, 2013
ayobase:

I think it is will be better if
-Sex
-State
-Status
-Religion
are being excused from CV.

It will deflate discriminations to a reasonable level.

proffesional resumes should not have any of those at all. I have never had a CV with those information
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by chuksmad(m): 9:02am On Oct 08, 2013
ehixking: Our experience getting jobs!!!

A telephone conversation between a NAUG official and Tolulope am a graduate of Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Benue state. He says I have always lived in benue state in the North central part of Nigeria. As a kid I used to rear goats and sheep in grandmothers compound and always had interest in Agriculture. My grandmother died after I finished my youth service so I had to move to Osun state to live with my father. Because I was new to the environment and my father wasn't as young as he use to be and depended on me so much for his livelihood, no land to start farming and no money to dabble into something else I decided to apply for a job at FARM SUPPORT a big farm in osun state not far from the well know private school Bowen University in iwo. After applying we were called for an interview on getting there I saw big cars, trailers of all sorts and big poultry,hatchery and all sorts...I was happy at first till I started seeing the faces of the workers, screwed up as if they just got into a fight

Most were working hard,the place was quiet and all you could hear was sounds from the poultry. Trailers were moving out with loads of eggs and activity was at top gear. The interview started in no time and I was the 3th to be attended to I noticed the two other guys after the interview had terrible smiles on their faces. I entered and the interview started, in the pannel where 2 indias (or those dudes from the middle east) who could barely speak a sentence correctly In English. I managed to strain my ears to hear what they had to offer.

All the questions I was asked was contrary to anything pertaining to my CV(its was even the nigerian in the pannel that made things worse)
Here are the following questions

1)What experience do you have in poultry keeping and how many years
2)Can you drive heavy vehicles, can you drive long distance and do you have a licence
3)Will you accept an offer of 30 thousand naira per month
4)We are going to give you free accomodation a walkable distance from the farm and are you willing to work on saturdays
5)If after accepting the job you decide to leave you must give us at least 2month notice
6)Since you don't have any experience and you might decide to run away after training would you be willing to pay for the training

Funny people! Funny ideas all because our system aint working for us

NB- this thread is for NAUG supporters only and anyone that has the heart of kicking against on employment in Nigeria

Share your views and experience on job hunting in Nigeria so NAUG can know where to come in and take over

Unemployment and Underemployment must stop

Join us www.facebook.com/naugnigeria
Register with us www.naug.tk
Follow us on twitter @naijagraduates
Ehis Abuya
National coordinator.
I am not surprise they are indians nationality, those guys are wicked and heartless, they will use you to point of death and still pay you meager salary. our government should look at the plight of unemployed youth and do something about it. Especially those Indians personnel in this country.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Yusphull(m): 9:04am On Oct 08, 2013
Turbocharged: People should stop decieving themselves. Some of you out there are outrightly UNEMPLOYABLE.
They went to university to do Konkosa, now they want to be employed: nobody want a dumbass as an employee.

Secondly, I have said it before and still repeating it. School dropouts who underwent one day or week seminars are creating wealth and smiling to the banks, whereas those of you that studied for 4yrs or more are JOBSEEKERS.
SHAME ON YOU.

Vladimiros: I have Zero Sympathy for some of you...
you did not acquire a skill, you thought the
job world is like Narnia land and easy
omo go and chop Pumor.

I can't blame you guys because people like you are the
ones complaining bitterly (within themselves) about their present predicaments and conditions...

Wake up bro, you don't need to be spoon-feed before you put your brain to work that this country is on the brinks of collapse if something reasonable and tangible is not done urgently to tackle this virus that has eaten deep into us (unemployment), I fear for our future because the rate of unemployment among we youths (not only graduates) is very very alarming and as they say "An idle mind is a devil workshop".....

NB:
"If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot
prevent us and because we are backing our own
side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical
to cut up imbeciles, shallow thinkers and nincompoop for the same reasons"

#peace#

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2013
basilo101: Our youths shud wake up 2 new reality ön ground. Nigeria is tending towards pure capitalism. We shud nt fold our arms n watch expatriates take all d opportuinities and we celebrate dia invasion as development, den turn 2 d govt 2 giv us jobs. Wat govt owe us is provision of basic infrastures.

May God bless you...
What the government owe us is provision of basic infrastructures
Education
Light...
Good roads
Water
Shelter
Food
Which has the government given you out of everything?
and this post is not talking about the government providing jobs or not, its about our experiences getting jobs
Let read between the lines and understand b4 commenting
Expecially those that are gradutes and thinking they are MADE because they saved a month's alawe as a corper and has started sewing clothes! That what I call penury at its peak
Poverty to the fullest, when u get married and start paying school fees maybe its gonna be clear to you then!!

2 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ifex370(m): 9:36am On Oct 08, 2013
guys girls ,ladies and gentlemen, i ve been following this thread silently...and i've bin really educated by all your views and opinions! am 16 years old a hundred level student,computer engineering...and ve been at home.... can u guys plz tell me my chances of getting a job after i graduate,plus i would like to keep myself busy cos of the strike...can u plz suggest a skill for me or something because am tired of staying at home.... please i need ideas, i 've ideas about programming and stuff like that....how can i develop those ideas[color=#000099][/color]thanks smiley
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by sCun: 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
ehixking:

May God bless you...
Education
Light...
Good roads
Water
Shelter
Food
and this post is not talking about the government providing jobs or not, its about our experiences getting jobs
Expecially those that are gradutes and thinking they are MADE because they saved a month's alawe as a copper and has started sewing clothes! That what I call penury at its peak
Poverty to the fullest, when u get married and start paying school fees maybe its gonna be clear to you then!!
Lol @ bolded, you spoke my mind though.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by pappythinko(m): 9:40am On Oct 08, 2013
[quote author=osheydollar]@etel_flon may God almighty bless u,u have said it all mass protest will be the best,for me i am ready,just that i dont know the mind of others,there was dis faithful day i went to Asaba for ano interview in one of dis companies,on my way coming back i saw a hudge holdup,wen i got close to know what happening i was told it was cripple handicap across Delta state.
Try sharpen your contours of sentence organisation,you wrote poorly.The same govt would be laughing at ds post of urs.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ifex370(m): 9:42am On Oct 08, 2013
ehixking:

May God bless you...
Education
Light...
Good roads
Water
Shelter
Food
Expecially those that are gradutes and thinking they are MADE because they saved a month's alawe as a copper and has started sewing clothes! That what I call penury at its peak
i disagree with you....she wants to keep herself busy and get sumfn doing cos time na money....rather than waste money travelling from place to place,recieving insults cos she wants a job....a bird at hand is worth 20 in the bush o
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 9:46am On Oct 08, 2013
NFS Bob: Evry1 dat commented have spoken well on dis issue. My only concern right now is the exploitation of the nigerian workforce by foreigners especially the lebanese and indians. I worked for a coy called indepco @ victoria island. We work on saturdays, they never promote the local staffs, dey falsify douments of expatriate quotas τ̅☺ the govt, dey bring in quacks from their home country and dey pay them huge salaries starting 4rm $9000 per month excluding house, car and health allowance, and they treat their local staffs like shit, dey don't give overtym, if u re sick, dey might wanna sack u. I had a colleague who gave birth with C-Section, with d little I know abt labour laws, she is meant τ̅☺ get @ least 2months free and
considering hw she gave birth, she needed τ̅☺ dress her c-section, u won't believe that her jordanian boss threatened τ̅☺ sack her if she didn't come bak τ̅☺ work without little or no consideration for her health. I know that sum pple will say that @ least I had a job. I just wanna sensitize pple advocating for protest that d problem isn't just about unemployment, also hw the workforce ll be treated when employed. It is so bad that when this same coy wanted τ̅☺ undertake an investment in Ghana, when dey were given the labour laws dey would have τ̅☺ adhere τ̅☺ aespecialy on staff welfare, dey b acked off. because they knew dey couldn't exploit dem ova dere. God help us in dis countryb

Thanks for sharing this
You are indeed very wise
Please if you love us and wanna help us give us some very useful inormation about the company
Inform the victim involved
We shall approach them and take legal steps against them
Tell the woman to give Ehis a call on 07030717445 or get our PRO,s no from our web site www.naug.tk
All these is gonna end soon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos) / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria. / I Need The Contributions Of Experienced Construction Site Engineers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.