Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,847 members, 7,813,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? (19213 Views)

To Unemployed Graduates; What are You doing to Change Your Situation? / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Getting Jobs With Ease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by pappythinko(m): 9:48am On Oct 08, 2013
The time to move into action is now. Its the little acorns that makes the mighty oaks, even if it is twenty unemployed graduates that start the protest they would still be able to attract the sympathy of well meaning Nigerians. Lets leave our keypads and start the protest. Nigerian graduates will embrace the theory of collective behaviour if we all abandon our keypads and do something more pragmatic. #my hands are up n equal to any task. let the protest commence. Goodmorning to all da unemployed comrades.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by pappythinko(m): 9:54am On Oct 08, 2013
[quote author=vladimiros]

have you bothered reading the thread

1) Ine of them decided to quit cuz of low pay, instead of taking the job..

2) the Rest got denied and ranted with some sense of entitlement cuz he found Indian expatriates who could not speak english properly....

that just how most of them are, start small, and when denied don't hate. simple, secondly l;earn a trade..

You are bereft of commonsense.. Better you keep mute than oozing out stench from ya unkempt mouth.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 10:02am On Oct 08, 2013
ifex370: i disagree with you....she wants to keep herself busy and get sumfn doing cos time na money....rather than waste money travelling from place to place,recieving insults cos she wants a job....a bird at hand is worth 20 in the bush o

Every Nigeria has something doing believe me but that not enough am telling you my brother that after graduating
You left your certificate in the cupboard and bought one sewing machine and stat sewing with it- why did you waste precious yearss in the university when you know u want to be a tailor.
The money u wasted getting formal education would have bought you more machines!!
And tell me how your machine would rent a shop for you,pay your childrens school fees,pay PHCN bill,water,food,security
Think outside the box brother
Self employment has only worked in enabling environment
True everywhere in the world

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 08, 2013
lorretta u: lol

Over sabi ppl for NL.with empty heads.

I bet you're so employable you have 10 jobs undecided

Don't mind him.
nenergy:
Yes o! You're not ENTITLED, so you need to EMPOWER yourself. This is included in my book foreword.

Nobody needs your book, there are more than enough books written already.
Turbocharged: People should stop decieving themselves. Some of you out there are outrightly UNEMPLOYABLE.
They went to university to do Konkosa, now they want to be employed: nobody want a dumbass as an employee.

Secondly, I have said it before and still repeating it. School dropouts who underwent one day or week seminars are creating wealth and smiling to the banks, whereas those of you that studied for 4yrs or more are JOBSEEKERS.
SHAME ON YOU.

SHAME ON YOU too. I know so many that were doing Konkosa in School and are in the Banking, Oil and Gas and Federal Ministries.

People are trying to find solution to a National problem and you are here spewing what you know nothing about

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 10:14am On Oct 08, 2013
[quote author=pappythinko][/quote]

Have you ever prayed for any of your children, wife or family member to take that kind of job!

Working in a farm from monday to saturday
Don't forget because u live on the farm, if there should be an attact or something happening to your birds at night or on a sunday won't u go and put the place in order ?are they paying you for 24 hours?

The place is in a bush and even the so called indians don't live there
To work do you have to train yourself or pay for training?
As a graduate one should be employed as an executive officer not as a driver, so your work would include driving and marketing
So what your job discribtion?
Do they even give employment letter anymore?

If you feel its ok or the person in question is lazy then go take the job or pay for your children to get those jobs
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by patostation(m): 10:26am On Oct 08, 2013
iamswizz: To all those Sec.sch students or undergraduates... Pls go and acquire a skill ooo...

Dont say you werent warned by Iamswizz oo

This is the way to go. In as much as I am not going to say that additional education is bad, but as long as Nigeria of today is concerned, it is best to learn a vocation or skill that will automatically grant you entreprenual ability .

For many, their degree certificates have become a curse instead of blessing. As it is, it has a sort of ego or pride attached to it making the graduate not to move forward. Get a job, you can't get; and yet you cannot stoop low to do things that non graduates do - a catch 22 situatiion.

For those not yet in this dilema, my advice is, seek for a vocation you enjoy and train in it after your basic or tehnical education.

For those that insist on supplementary education, choose a course that will bestow capacity for self development even as a student, eg Architecture, Fine Art, Surveying and Geodesy, Law, Medicine, Accountancy just to mention a few.

For those who have "wasted" many years and resources in obtaining supplementary education, and have even become a burden to their parents by spending many more years as job seekers, nothing can be more humiliating and frustrating. Yet, it is never too late to restrategize. Change your outlook and life course and do something for yourself.

For all those who believe that any government will look out for their interest, I wish them goodluck. Protests marches and demonstrations, don't work. Because the Law (Governments) is an ass, permanently deaf. My opinion anyway.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Akinolore(m): 10:39am On Oct 08, 2013
To me it is a welcome idea, but I forsee this may not last long cos most of the said uneemployed leaders will go from back to accept money from government and will just leave other memebers shouting for nothing everyday on social network, media and streets.
I will suggest a self employ work for individual without waiting for unserious and lack of vission politicians in the corridor of leadershp. Am also a graduate, but I do not wait for govt to provide me unavailable work.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 08, 2013
Skills acquisition is very critical. But we should also understand that the Mechanics, Vulcanizers, Tailors, Shoe makers, Braiders are all complaining. NAUG should take a wholistic approach to this unemployment issue. Whats the essence of working if its not profitable.

Last line:
Personally, i don't expect things to change. Infact things can only get worse. Thus says the Bible.

That doesn't mean we should'nt make effort for change, at least beginning with every individual.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ngozimsgworld: 10:56am On Oct 08, 2013
i was called for an interview for a certain bank job and and that was 6mnths after submiting application after that i i was calld for the second 1 which we were calld into the managers office and guess what he told us we were sucessful candidate but the probs is that we should get seven pple to open an acct with the bank with nothing less than 100.000[hundred thousand naira each] i was dump founded but sm1 was bold enough to ask him why and he said that is for preparing us for the task ahead.And i ask WHICH WAY NIGERIA.
Yusphull: Hmmmmm his own experience was even better compared to mine...

I submitted an application in a school in Niger state and because the school was a new school and science oriented I was 50% sure that I will be considered for the job.. After 2 weeks I was called for an interview and I was told I will be handling 5 courses namely Chemistry which was my disciplined, Physics, Integrated Science, Biology and Mathematics; after hearing that I very was happy, like the salary will be very robust considering the number of the courses I will be taking and to my own dismay I was told I will be paid ?? Hmmmmmmm

6 thousand naira per month...... I wan swear for the man but I just control my temper and told him I would think about it..... That's my own ordeal Oooo

This issue of unemployment and the agony we pass through seeking for jobs is becoming unbearable and our government are not ready to listen to our cry, they turn deaf ears to us..

Are we going to be like this forever
Are we not going to voice out our displeasure

The only platform with which we can shout and echoed our voice into their hearing is through this association and we can only achieve this feat if we are united, cooperative and gutsy coz "two heads are better than one" that's why we need dedicated members, great thinkers, activist and a good business analyst in our midst so that we can reason and brainstorm together on how to tackle this rut that has eaten deep into us and proffer a lasting solution to it ....

And I believe what we embark on is achievable if we also have the same believe coz "Nothing can stop a determined man even if you throw a stumbling block on his way he will take it as a stepping stone"

#peace#
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by sheryf01(m): 11:07am On Oct 08, 2013
In Nigeria,best bet is to be self employed. Don't be scared of startn small and be ready for challenges but no matter wat, don't compromise in ethics and morally then the sky will be ur startn point.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by realteflon(m): 11:22am On Oct 08, 2013
Persons ready to sign up to head a meeting in ur respective state should signify. The agenda should be one. So everyone in every state is speaking with one voice. Ehix over to you. What is the discussion like. There is no time. The SUPPORT is here now. You should also call or invite all persons in support to a meeting in Lagos this weekend. I believe the attendant would be more than the last one. Pls call all those in Lagos and near by to come for another meeting. Our voices need to become the LOUDEST now till the year 2013 ends and continued to next year this cancer of unemployment and underemployment ends
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 08, 2013
ehixking:

Every Nigeria has something doing believe me but that not enough am telling you my brother that after graduating
You left your certificate in the cupboard and bought one sewing machine and stat sewing with it- why did you waste precious yearss in the university when you know u want to be a tailor.
The money u wasted getting formal education would have bought you more machines!!
And tell me how your machine would rent a shop for you,pay your childrens school fees,pay PHCN bill,water,food,security
Think outside the box brother
Self employment has only worked in enabling environment
True everywhere in the world

the best tailors are not made by their machines. her university education should allow her operate at a higher level of reasoning, networking, and customer relationship than someone who did not go through a higher institution.

Some of the so called extra-courteous waiters you see outside nigeria are indeed graduates
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by igbonla(m): 12:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
Just a couple of ideas to add to the discourse.

- Government cannot do nothing here, govt itself is limping!
- Forget about anybody helping you with any struggle, only very few people in Nigeria will genuinely help others.
- You guys should not get too emotional about this, so you can focus on dealing with issues objectively.
- It is fine if your chosen path is to work for somebody, now get up and learn how to get that job. Believe me, it is more than the paper qualification you hold. Think of what value you will add to the business and watch how you will be celebrated. Be creative in your job search.
- Understand that there is something called growth; if you start with N20,000/month today, you can move to N80,000 tomorrow and N150,000 the day after.
- Be faithful in those little jobs, there is a reward for hardwork.
- For those wanting to start a business, now is the time. Nigeria as of today is like a train at its station, you won't be able to catch up when electricity suplly improves. People are working hard, don't get left behind!

All the best in your quest, folks.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by fpeter(f): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2013
I'm glad I stumbled on this article, this is my 8th year of graduation from the University
sometimes i actually wonder if schooling wasn't a wasted effort for most of us in Nigeria?
I have a job but I'm highly underpaid, to the extent that most drivers in my Org. actually
earn higher salaries than the so called graduates, I decided to call some of my friends just
this morning and we agreed to fast and do an all night vigil for us to get better jobs. Now
some people would laugh at this but we've done everything,submitted resumes,cried,begged
relatives in high positions until we became some sort of nuisances and now they avoid our calls.
This unemployment issue is killing the youths,causing lateness in marriage,gross poverty e.t.c

NOW IS THE SET TIME; LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by nicxguy(m): 12:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
Me self kidnapping things wey de my mind@ least wn u kip any of dos commissioner or all ds big men. Money go come out by force then. I will go and start up a biz LOL..........am tired of interviews and searching
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 1:32pm On Oct 08, 2013
Donmams: It simply baffles me to hear fools telling graduates to become entrepreneurs. Does one just wake up in the morning to become an entrepreneur? And who says we can all become entrepreneurs? If we all go into business who's going to be an employee?
It is not a sin to eschew entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship is a field for risk takers. Most human beings, emphasis on most, are NOT risk takers. Which is why most people prefer being employees knowing full well that their salary will come unfailingly at the end of the month.
All these mumus asking each and every one of us to become entrepreneurs should please shut the hell up!

See, u better no allow those give u HBP!

Go check, it is either those are failures or not yet in School.

We know their types!

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2013
rman:

proffesional resumes should not have any of those at all. I have never had a CV with those information

We do know that Companies do ask of those, and which is not supposed to. Unconsciously, a straight-minded fellow would want to DISCRIMINATE!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nicepoker(m): 1:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
lorretta u: It's been four months since I finished my NYSC

Getting a job hasn't been easy. Still in the job market.
But I'll soon overcome

only 4 months? Calm down o
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by freestuffsonnet(m): 2:24pm On Oct 08, 2013
If you can't get a job, then MAKE One. Think outside the box.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ogb5(m): 2:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
I have never be unemployed, never had the luxury.

While at the University, I had a litle business at the side with workers bringing in little money, kept the business going during youth service. Stepped back into the business for 2 yrs after youth service before I got a "better" job.

So how do you guys actually stay jobless, staying jobless must be a talent. If i don't have job as a graduate, I will buy 10 painting brushes, employ 10 road side painters and take contract of all painting of houses in my vicinity. Am too busy to stay idle.

Am out, wish you folks luck.

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by worksmart(m): 4:31pm On Oct 08, 2013
I think most people find a way to survive and may be working in a job below what the are qualified to do, and for that reason would consider themselves unemployed.
ogb5: I have never be unemployed, never had the luxury.

While at the University, I had a litle business at the side with workers bringing in little money, kept the business going during youth service. Stepped back into the business for 2 yrs after youth service before I got a "better" job.

So how do you guys actually stay jobless, staying jobless must be a talent. If i don't have job as a graduate, I will buy 10 painting brushes, employ 10 road side painters and take contract of all painting of houses in my vicinity. Am too busy to stay idle.

Am out, wish you folks luck.

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by realteflon(m): 6:31pm On Oct 08, 2013
fpeter: I'm glad I stumbled on this article, this is my 8th year of graduation from the University
sometimes i actually wonder if schooling wasn't a wasted effort for most of us in Nigeria?
I have a job but I'm highly underpaid, to the extent that most drivers in my Org. actually
earn higher salaries than the so called graduates, I decided to call some of my friends just
this morning and we agreed to fast and do an all night vigil for us to get better jobs. Now
some people would laugh at this but we've done everything,submitted resumes,cried,begged
relatives in high positions until we became some sort of nuisances and now they avoid our calls.
This unemployment issue is killing the youths,[/b]causing lateness in marriage,gross poverty e.t.c[b]

My dear, you truly know how many feel and the effect of these unemployment and underemployment.
Pls endeavor to at the next meeting if you reside in Lagos. Tell others about this struggle and movement

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by babskerbo: 8:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
nobody above mistake ! Mistake has no master .
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by obynce(m): 9:22pm On Oct 08, 2013
My fellow nairalanders getting a job in naija is like being concieved in birth all over again!

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by trolling(m): 10:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
fpeter: I'm glad I stumbled on this article, this is my 8th year of graduation from the University
This unemployment issue is killing the youths,causing lateness in marriage,gross poverty e.t.c

ok don't mean to kill your desires and that of NAUG but things are about to get uglier, I would say be content with food and shelter, the powers that be don't care about the masses....now if u want to ask me why it's going to get uglier just read the topic I posted on Foreign affairs section on Nairaland
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by DankemzI(m): 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2013
lorretta u: lol
Mr smart arss.
You're not so smart afterall

Over sabi ppl with empty heads.

I bet you're so employable you have 10 jobs

Must you insult?... In your place they dont crack jokes?...
For the records am gainfully employed C.S Fed. Min. Of Works
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 12:50am On Oct 09, 2013
DankemzI:

Must you insult?... In your place they dont crack jokes?...
For the records am gainfully employed C.S Fed. Min. Of Works
I found that word unemployable to be highly insultive

And because you already have a job doesn't mean you should be insensitive to others' plight.
How would you feel if someone who doesn't knw you labels you unemployable for no good reason.juts because they already have a job?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 2:34am On Oct 09, 2013
lorretta u: I found that word unemployable to be highly insultive

And because you already have a job doesn't mean you should be insensitive to others' plight.
How would you feel if someone who doesn't knw you labels you unemployable for no good reason.juts because they already have a job?
Don't listen to them please, they've forgotten that
This article
This write up
This thrend is for graduates to share their experiences getting jobs!!! Don't forget please..
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Wendyslim(f): 10:25am On Oct 11, 2013
nicxguy: Me self kidnapping things wey de my mind@ least wn u kip any of dos commissioner or all ds big men. Money go come out by force then. I will go and start up a biz LOL..........am tired of interviews and searching
. Na so my brother, been unemployed is frustrating and can make so many people go out of dir way by doing wat dey are not surpose to do. Imagine a graduate who cannot afford three square meal or cannot boast of #1000 in a week may end up been an armed robber , a fraudster or a kidnapper and wen bin caught people will see dem as useless graduates not knowing wat dey went through.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos) / See Complete List Of Nigerian Army Rank And Salary, You Will Be Shocked / Taking Any Paid Job Is Risky In The Present Day Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.