Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

The Last Star. - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Star. (31607 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Star. by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
...gently following...

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 11, 2013
soul minister: ok! ok! ok! ok!

I got more than I bargained for.

why?

because the title of this story didn't captivate me at all. not even a single bit.

but due to the fact that I got bored looking for story to read here so I decided to manage this one only for me to get "wowed" by the story.

good job sir, though the title is dull to me.
You just made me smile.

Well, as regards the title, I can't say its exactly a captivating one. There were a few reasons why i named the story so, although most of those reasons are quite expunged now.

I wouldn't like to rename now, its going cause a mess.

Thanks for bringing my attention to it, I will make sure the title of my future stories are a lot more captivating.

And, did you say 'waoed' *faints out of exhilaration*
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
J0nyb0y:
mehn.. U 2 much... **waiting 4 next update
PrinceAdepoju: ...gently following...
Thank you my Ogas. I domor una wella.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 11, 2013

“Mr. Elliot?” The doctor attending to Ugonna inquired the moment she turned and saw the young man at the doorpost. She got no reply. “You can come inside”, she informed.
“Oh!...Erm…Yes!” Elliot spluttered, recovering,

He walked inside trying to look intently at Ugonna, the tears blurring his vision.

Ugonna was lying straight on the bed, as innocent as can be. He wore a blank expression. His life was hanging by a thread, an Artificial Pacemaker. The device sent impulses that contracted his heart muscles, enabling a regular beating of the heart. Put differently, Ugonna couldn’t breathe himself, he needed artificial support or his life would slowly drain out.

Elliot looked down morosely, plagued with confusion. The whole incident was moving too fast, faster than the speed of light and Elliot was struggling to play catch up. The doctor rescued him.

“Sir, You are very close to the young man, aren’t you?”
“Yes Doctor!”, with fear in his voice. “What is the situation of things Ma.” The anxiety was written all over him.
“Well,” the doctor began “he suffered a nasty head injury as a result of the collision…”

GBAAM! The information hit Elliot hard like a grenade.

He was freezing. He felt goose pimples, the size of fully developed grapes, bulging out of his flesh. He became uneasy at the information the doctor gave, ‘nasty head injury’. His brain processed the information; the result was far from nice. He winced in pain. No! “Calm down”, he told himself mentally. “Allow her continue”.

“The head injury was so severe; it resulted in internal haemmorrhage…”
“Internal what?...Oh Lord!” All guard was let loose and the tears flooded down.
“Internal bleeding Sir. The blood has slightly congealed his heart; hence, his heart cannot perform effectively. He is now on life support . . . The Artificial Pacemaker we are using on him would enable him maintaining an adequate heart rate for 3 to 4 weeks. That would give us time to stop the bleeding.” She paused and then said, “There are no guarantees.”

At the mention of that, Elliot sank to the floor, with the hands on his head and tears rolling down his cheeks, depicting his state of hopelessness.

“Pull yourself together,” The doctor interjected, “If I were you, I would pray for him.” She said and started to the door. Almost at the doorpost, she paused and turned,
“We have reached our counterparts at the University Health Centre; at least the University should be aware a student of theirs was rushed in here today. On the other hand . . . Please help us contact his parents.” She said with a definitive tone and turned the door knob…

“Doctor…”
“Yes!” She turned and gave him an inquisitive glare.
“Where is the toilet?” There was a sense of urgency. The doctor observed him for a second and said,
“When you come out of this room, its five doors to your right”
“Thank you” , he said and sprung up.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2013

He ghosted past five rooms from Ward 15 and he was at the toilet. He stole surreptitious glances to his right and to his left. No one seemed to be moving on the corridor. The corridor was pitch silent, exactly what he needed. He did the exercise one more time and dashed into the male toilet.

With just a glance, he sized up the toilet and made for the wash bin. He opened the tap and allowed the water flow freely into his palms. He washed his face with it, washing away the pressure of the moment. He brought out his handkerchief and wiped his face clean.

He looked into the mirror and saw his tired face with red eyes and marks of exhaustion. The mirror couldn’t see through him but he knew if it could, there would be a zillion lines intersecting and criss-crossing at each other, colours splashing around, giving an eerie feel.

He paused for a second, looked up and wondered whether it was the right thing to do. He affirmed it was. With one swift movement of his hand, he dragged out his phone, scrolled through his contact list and stopped, looking at the name on the screen. He sighed heavily, bat his eyes, paused for a moment and dialed…
Re: The Last Star. by Oyinprince(m): 8:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
Im wan kal james again?
Re: The Last Star. by MeBoo: 8:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: The Last Star. by kojusoluwa(m): 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2013
Keep it rolling.I gbadun d suspense,kudos, u're doing a great job
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 12, 2013
Oyinprince: Im wan kal james again?
Make we dey see first.Abi?
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 12, 2013
MeBoo: lipsrsealed
LOL. I hail o
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 12, 2013
kojusoluwa: Keep it rolling.I gbadun d suspense,kudos, u're doing a great job
For me to keep am rolling, i need bories. You fit roger me one?
Re: The Last Star. by J0nyb0y(m): 12:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Following u like twitter.,.. Next update pls
Re: The Last Star. by christejames(m): 8:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Following Nkpume like fly
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
christe james: Following Nkpume like fly
J0nyb0y: Following u like twitter.,.. Next update pls
Thanks Men! grin grin grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2013

With the aid of the light from the phone of Sleek, they saw it all. Michael was on the floor, still bound to the chair, shivering and shaking like a cock struck by coccidiosis. The trio stood fixed to a spot, watching in utter astonishment, trying to figure out what was happening. Confusion etched on their brows.

James seemed like he had figured it all out already. He rushed to where Michael was and dragged him up.
“Loosen him up”, he commanded.

Razz started to untie Michael, the shaking making it difficult.
“Get me water”, James ordered Sleek.

Sleek rushed out to get water. When he came back, Razz had untied Michael and was fanning him with a book he had found on the floor. Sleek moved towards Michael and started to sprinkle the water on him as a make shift revival method. It worked. Michael started to cough out, then stretched his arms haphazardly displaying a total tired state, cushioned with a wide yawn.

James noticed the yawn and said to Sleek,
“Get this man something to eat.” It was then Michael noticed he wasn’t alone. He raised his weary face up, just in time to see the receding form of Sleek, who was on his way to get some food.

Michael looked from James to Razz B. He wanted to say a lot of things. He wanted to tell James he never knew anyone could be that wicked. He wanted to tell James that no matter how crafty and highly placed he was, nemesis would catch up with him. He wanted to tell James that he would be caught and killed and his Jennifer would be avenged. Worst of all, he wanted to tell James to end his sufferings so he could join Jennifer at last. He couldn’t move his lips, he was too hungry, dehydrated and weak. He just sat, sullen and moping

James had been looking at him all the while, hands folded across his chest, pity in his eyes. Since the dead of his parents, the word ‘pity’ alongside other words of soft emotions had been jettisoned from his mental dictionary. He was only capable of melting out the likes of hatred, pain, agony, sorrow, anguish, and what have you, to anyone who crosses his path.

Looking down at Michael, he felt strange to himself. He felt he was losing it. He felt the hard touch was dwindling.

The picture of Michael had only found its way into his life album strictly for business reasons, he was never a friend.

He heaved a sigh as Sleek came inside with a plate of rice, a bottle of water and a glass cup, all arranged in an ash tray. He walked towards Michael and handed it over to him.

Michael collected the tray from him, hurriedly dropped it on the floor, picked up the plate of rice, handled the spoon firmly and started to gulp down the rice in large mouthfuls, swallowing hard to force down the stubborn lumps of grains and gulping down water intermittently to force down the annoyingly stubborn ones.

In a jiffy, he was done, drank water one last time and belched hard. It sounded like a roar. Razz B contorted his face in disgust.

Michael dropped the plate into the tray and pushed it aside. He cleaned his mouth with the thumb and forefinger of his head hand, relaxed his back on the chair, looked up to James and asked,
“What next?”

James looked at him in mild irritation. Ordinarily, he would have punched the idiot’s face real hard till they turned crimson, but he just stood where he was, watching the movement of Michael’s eyes, contemplating.

A thought came to him. He moved and crouched in front of Michael, his left arm resting on his left thigh while his right elbow stood on his right thigh, his right palm brushing against his forehead, stroking his hair in the process and heaving a sigh at the end. The situation had become exhaustive.

“Michael, I would have killed you.” He paused, “but I really don’t why I have not”
Michael was looking him in the eye ball, expressionless.

James sighed again. He was about to continue when his phone rang.
“Mtcheew” He hissed, stood up and brought out his phone. A strange number was calling. He pressed the receiver,

“Hello”, he said calmly. “Who?”
A very deep angry voice retorted, “Bas.tar.d! Get ready, am coming for you!”

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Salma(f): 9:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
Wow! Keep it coming. Nyc 1

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by felipemadero(m): 11:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
MEHN...I nearly killed d guy who stole my fone all dis days n denied me reading ur updates...#lols!
Abeg C.james dey follow u lyk fly abi;me sef dey follow u lyk housefly.

2 Likes

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 13, 2013
Salma: Wow! Keep it coming. Nyc 1
Thanks Salma. grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:10am On Nov 13, 2013
felipemadero: MEHN...I nearly killed d guy who stole my fone all dis days n denied me reading ur updates...#lols!
Abeg C.james dey follow u lyk fly abi;me sef dey follow u lyk housefly.
Ouch! cry
Ehya! Doh! Did you retrieve the phone or you got a new one?

And abeg Felipe, try follow me as another thing abeg, all this fly fly everywhere, people don they think say i carry s.hit for nyash. Biko wink
Re: The Last Star. by Dchiefpriest(m): 7:12am On Nov 13, 2013
Nkpumeee me dey follow u lyk goat...em ghost i mean to say grin

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Xclusvibebay: 7:53am On Nov 13, 2013
Waow am luving it....anticipating 4 more.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by J0nyb0y(m): 10:45am On Nov 13, 2013
Please Mr Iko try make it 2 updates per day abeg... Am loosing patience

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by radientstar(f): 11:49am On Nov 13, 2013
Na wa d update short o.......keep it up bro I gbadun ur story

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by kojusoluwa(m): 3:48pm On Nov 13, 2013
This is highly INTRIGUING.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
Dchiefpriest: Nkpumeee me dey follow u lyk goat...em ghost i mean to say grin
Chiefpriest, abeg 'unghost' yourself jor. Too many ghost on Nairaland at the moment. tongue
Btw, hope you still dey do your 'oturumahanhan' wink tins for me o. I could use some extra powers at the moment, grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Xclusvibebay: Waow am luving it....anticipating 4 more.
Am glad you love it. grin
More would hit your screen soonest.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 13, 2013
J0nyb0y: Please Mr Iko try make it 2 updates per day abeg... Am loosing patience
Oga Jony! I would have loved to, but i just can't. My schedule just won't allow it. Please do understand. smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
radientstar: Na wa d update short o.......keep it up bro I gbadun ur story
Okay Ma, I will try and make subsequent updates longer. And thanks dear kiss for 'gbaduning' my story. But, 'eku gbadun' dey come with orishirishi now, me i neva see anyone o *Patiently waiting* grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
kojusoluwa: This is highly INTRIGUING.
Ehem grin grin grin grin grin grin
I love it when people use these sorts of adjectives. cheesy
Thanks Koju, I will try and take it to the pinnacle of intrigue. I hope you don't mind? tongue

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
To be updated in a moment. *Editing*
Re: The Last Star. by Dchiefpriest(m): 7:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Chiefpriest, abeg 'unghost' yourself jor. Too many ghost on Nairaland at the moment. tongue
Btw, hope you still dey do your 'oturumahanhan' wink tins for me o. I could use some extra powers at the moment, grin
***appears on d tread** nkpumee am here 4 u,watever u need i will do jx dat to keep d tread rollin,BTW i never see d female mosquito wey i say make you bring for sacrifise na....gringringrin ur story can is tintilatin...
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2013

James removed his phone from his ears slowly and stared at it, a mixture of confusion and a scowl smeared on his face. He knew the call was from Elliot, what was unclear to him was the unusual confidence that laced the call.

The Elliot that had called him at the wee hours of that day sounded like a terrified bloke who was just hell bent on making some quick cash, damning the consequences. On the other hand, this Elliot that had just slammed the call on him talked like he had a legion of medieval Roman soldiers at his beck and call.

James became wary, he knew better than to rush. He had to find out exactly what gave Elliot his new found courage, CAUTION being the keyword. He smirked wryly.

For the first time in several years, he felt his grip loosening. He decided to relax a bit and allow the events unfold themselves. A man could use a breather.

He looked and realized everyone in the room had their eye balls fixed on him. They’ve been watching him all through the call duration. He knew the questions that burned in their hearts. Who was the person at the other end of the phone? What did the person say that got the impregnable James worried?

He rolled his eyes culminating in a sigh, obliterating their concern from his mind. He snapped his fingers at Razz and Sleek, orchestrated his palms into a ridiculous inside-outside movement. They understood his code. They were to tie Michael up and dump him in the dungeon. Michael’s eyes locked with Sleek’s and reality dawned on him. His eyes widened in shock at James’ intention.

“Haba James, you can’t…you ca…can’t ask them to do that now” he stuttered and cringed inside at the thought of being tied again.

James hissed, dismissing Michael’s display of fear with a tired wave of his right hand, padded to the door, opened and walked out closing the door behind him. He headed to Henrietta’s hostel.

“No now!” Michael tried to call out to James standing up.

Razz double crossed him and was soon at his front,
“Sit down this minute” He snarled with scarlet eyes.
Michael looked at him, not knowing what to do. He moved his eyes slowly to Sleek who was standing at the door by now, hands folded across his chest and legs somewhat separated like a political thug. Sleek tilted his head to the right, accompanied by a shrug and dubious grin as if to say COMPLY CHILD! Michael understood. It wouldn’t hurt to delay a bit. He raised his hands up in a surrendering fashion and heaved hard.

Just then, he heard a car engine start. Oops! James was going out. He looked at his predators, they noticed too. He weighed his options and smiled.

“Sit down this minute, I said” Razz barked again.
“And if I don’t?” Michael fired back. The food had filled him with vigour and vitality.

His predators were completely stupefied; the hellish look on their faces told it all, the same look a lion would wear if a goat were charging at it with its feeble horns. Like a lion, they did the expected. Razz shot a punch at Michael’s face, with his full weight behind it, Michael bent down quickly and dodged, Razz staggered to the floor having missed his target. Sleek saw the scenario and charged at Michael with a powerful Shawn Michael-like right kick. It caught Michael on the waist and he moaned in pain. Sleek was grinning from ear to ear, enjoying Michael’s show of pain.

The tight room was becoming stuffy; they were finding it hard to breathe freely.

Razz jumped up quickly and ran to the extreme of the room and picked up a long rod lying there. Michael saw him in a flash and braced up himself for the challenge. He had calculated to toss the chair at Razz immediately he came close to him.

Razz surged at him with a deadly glare, brandishing the rod in mid air. As he came close to hitting Michael with it, Michael quickly tossed the chair at his running feet, the chair obstructed his movement and Razz collapsed on the floor. Michael threw his fisted right hand into the air as a sign of early victory.

As he tried to turn and face Sleek, GBOOM! Sleek collapsed from behind him to his front. Michael gasped in shock, wondering who must have hit Sleek. He tried to turn and catch a glimpse of the unseen enemy. POW! Something heavy rammed against his head and his full weight crashed on the floor with a deafening thud.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie's Arise News Interview (Full Video) / How Much Does A Script Sell In Nigeria / For Ten Thousand Dollars- The Aftermath Of An Unintended Office Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.