Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

The Last Star. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Star. (31612 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Last Star. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
All Rights Reserved:
This work exclusively belongs to the Author
and is protected under copyright laws.
The title, thoughts, plot, characters,
settings, and all its contents are
properties of the author.
No part of this work, either in parts or in
whole should be reproduced in any format,
electronic or otherwise without permission
from the author.

Considering that am new on Nairaland and that this is my first topic, i would love the comments, they would go a long way. THANKS! cheesy cheesy cheesy

THE LAST STAR.
The stars shined brightly that night giving the earth a glowing feel. There was this thing about stars; when you consider how they shine in unison, you would realize they are all in love with one another, but they never found a way to tell it.

The time was 7pm and it was the hour the dinner party of the department of Geology was to begin. They`ve been planning for the event over the last four months and it promised to be exciting.

The hall was almost full and it was the University banquet hall wearing a new look. Different shades of colour bulbs were ignited giving the pentagon-like hall a rainbow-like look, the chairs arranged in fours with a table were all covered in white linen laced with red. Each table had a bottle of wine and the DJ was dishing songs upon songs giving the hall a merry atmosphere.

Folks were moving around exchanging pleasantries and introducing dates. Others, smartly dressed, were trying to get early pictures with their smart phones, when the face was still fresh, before those thick sweats from dancing began to set in.

"Oh my gosh! Are you kidding me?" Nancy blurted out as she hopped on her heels to where Odion was standing with her date."Look at you babe, you look superb"."You can say that again girl”, Odion said while turning a 360 to give Nancy a complete view."All thanks to him”, she said throwing her hands on her boyfriend`s shoulders, giving Nancy a wink. There was a quick introduction and the trio joined the others.

James glanced at his watch.7:30pm.Someone was missing. He alone had that worry etched on his strong features.

The rest of them in the hall were entirely hyper, but one of the dinner’s organizing committee members was conspicuously missing in action_Michael.

Somewhere, miles away, a door had just being slammed.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
More to come shortly. Do stay tuned.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2013

Michael sat on the bed in Jennifer`s room, pounding his right foot in impatience. Minutes back, Jennifer had slammed out of the room into the bathroom. Her self-contained apartment was always the scapegoat whenever she was angry. Michael had only told her to hasten up and she had bolted into the bathroom in anger.

This was blowing out of the proportion he had bargained for. He had planned on storming the dinner venue a little late with his beauty queen imagining the heads turning and the whispers of "is that his babe?" flying when he and Jennifer would march to their seats. That would have been the sight to boost his reputation and respect but this daughter of Eve was making him overdo it. Now here is the truth, it was the first time Michael would be showing off his girl to his friends.

For three years he had been pressured into getting a girlfriend."You are handsome, intelligent and you`ve got swag. What else would a woman ask of you?", James had asked him one Friday morning in March."Money...I don`t have the money to throw around", he had replied. The rest is history as James taught him how to pick up rich beautiful girls and the result of that tutelage is Jennifer.

Today that he had decided to show off his girl to his friends; Jennifer has decided to become the daughter of Aniston, taking a century to dress up.

Michael would n`t say he hates her but her domineering attitude was repulsive, a common syndrome with rich kids, he always thinks.

He was jolted out of his reverie by the screeching sound of the door hinges as Jennifer came in.
"Why have you decided to turn yourself into a white lady today?"
"And just what does that mean?"
"You`ve been in that bathroom for God knows how long now."
"If you can`t wait, the door is not locked."

Michael collapsed on the bed with exasperation."Just before you forget yourself and sleep off, I need to change", she said, angling her head to the door. Michael exhaled, looked up at her with clinched lips and slowly walked out.

Moments later, he was still trying to ponder on what had happened in there some minutes back when Jennifer called," I am done, you can come inside, that’s if you still care."Michael swallowed, shook his head, and came in with a controlled anger, "Jenny, I really don`t like ....", he gulped down his words and his jaw dropped as the reality of Jenny`s beauty caught him.

She was like nothing he had ever seen, stunningly beautiful. Her dark angular face and snowy eyes wore a new grace. She was clad in a purple and gold gown with impeccable embroidery. Her perfume had the scent of freshly cut petals of rose. It made Michael felt he was falling from space, numbed of all his senses. He felt a quick rush of blood and something poked at the zip region of his trousers. He felt like ravishing her.

His daydream was cut short with the words, "Please help me with this bag."He collected the bag dreamily and unconsciously let go off it. It was heavy. Jenny shot him a glare, "it’s just a bag. C`mon be a gentleman."
"So being a gentleman includes carrying your handbag with all your properties inside abi? Sorry dear, am not training for weightlifting." He had goofed .She squinted at him with rage and said with an innocently wicked grin, "We are on our way to the dinner party innit? We shall see."

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by fankasibe: 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2013
Front space booked. Àwon omo oni pop-corn yi da?
I go dey follow u like shadow, I love it.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
fankasibe: Front space booked. Àwon omo oni pop-corn yi da?
Tanx! U sure wont regret it. grin
Re: The Last Star. by Tinu02(f): 10:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
I love this.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
Tinu-02:
I love this.
Tanx dear. More updates will hit ur screen 2mao.Pls keep a date. grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
Following. smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 12:59am On Oct 07, 2013
ReineViolet: Following. smiley
Tanx dear.I am sure u wont b disappointed. grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 07, 2013

10:30pm.The dinner was going on smoothly and on stage then was James, Michael's pally reciting a poem when Michael and Jennifer majestically walked in wearing a costumed smile.James halted his rendition to do a proper introduction of the couple. ''Ladies and Gentlemen I give to you Michael and his ever radiant and stunning Jennifer.'' The hall erupted with applause. Michael smiled and Jennifer gave a beauty pageantry wave.

Soon they were seated and James continued his recital but not with the initial attention as all eyes was then glued to the damsel besides Michael. The oohs and ahhs were almost drowning James' microphoned enhanced voice. Michael noticed and started being melodramatic but no one wrestles attention from Jennifer.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
The night slowly walked, the event danced and the people enjoyed themselves; from cocktail, to dinner, to the performances and now to the vote of thanks. Michael was on stage, this was the part he came in. ''Gentle men and Ladies, I must begin by appreciating you all for making out time to attend this end of the session dinner....'' he paused as he saw two hefty guys making their way to the table he just left.

He ignored (Jenny is not a toy for guys) and continued, ''it delights us the organisers to see this massive turnout considering its exam period.'' His eyes bulged as he saw Jennifer and the two guys leaving the hall. He struggled, but continued with a rush, ''Next year is another time, thank you all once again for making tonight's dinner a success. Au revoir!''.

He was done.11pm.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 07, 2013
Michael had forgotten to signal the beginning of the after party; James had been wise enough to do that but not even the freshly transmitted beats of 2face's ''Ihe Neme'' could stop Michael from racing outside.

The moon and stars had their eyes wide open, it was as though someone had whispered to them that something historic was about to take place. Their roving eyes were all the fore of the Banquet hall needed to radiate.

Michael burst out of the hall to the expansive plain devoid of human trace. He threw some quick anxious glances to his left, no one was there. As he turned right, farther down the almond trees, he saw a figure lying on the ground. His heart lost a beat. He surged to the figure and there laid Jennifer.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
ReineViolet: smiley
Sup Violet? Tanx 4 4loin bt u no dey tell me wetin u tink about d tori o
Re: The Last Star. by Obinnau(m): 6:34am On Oct 08, 2013
Wow. Its cool, I love stories that are themed this way. Just don't disappoint us. Totally following.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Obinnau(m): 6:35am On Oct 08, 2013
ReineViolet: smiley
reine, how far with your story? Long time nb see.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Obinnau: Wow. Its cool, I love stories that are themed this way. Just don't disappoint us. Totally following.
Tanx man. I sure wont disappoint. More to follow later today.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Sup Violet? Tanx 4 4loin bt u no dey tell me wetin u tink about d tori o

I really like it, I just would like it more if you made a longer update smiley but that's my opinion though
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 08, 2013
Obinnau: reine, how far with your story? Long time nb see.

Sorry, I had tests and assignments. Would be done before friday smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
ReineViolet:

I really like it, I just would like it more if you made a longer update smiley but that's my opinion though
I will try.Its jst dat d subscription on my system has expired nd my fone aint helping matas. cry
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
Jennifer struggled for air breathing heavily aided by the intermittent opening of her mouth. The large gulps of air helped her a little. She knew it won’t do for long. She began to think of her parents and siblings. She wished she never disobeyed them. She had shut out the idea of going to Aunt Clara’s wedding with them just to make Michael happy. She refused to go home for the weekend. A dinner party ahead of a wedding.

Our choices have always ruled our lives, she thought. They could make or mar us. She hate to think of the devastation her family would be thrown into the moment they realized what had happened.

The moment Michael`s finely chiseled features came in view, her eyes welled with tears. She looked at him and quizzed herself. Is he worth this? Oh yes! This was not the time to take that rugged part down memory lane. Michael had not uttered a word, still arrowed with shock.”Michael”, she called calmly.
”Please do not say anything, try and conserve energy.” He was in tears. He tried to prop her up with his hands across her back when he felt a chill, he pulled back his hands and it was bloody.

This cannot be. Was he imagining things?

His eyes widened, his pulse thickened, he was plagued with confusion and he began to stutter, “what…what ….what happened, who did this to you? C’mon lets go to the hospital”.
“Listen to me carefully” Jennifer began, struggling, but determined not to punctuate her speech with tears. ”Two guys have been pressuring me for two years now…”
”emm emm those guys I saw inside just now right?” Michael cut in impatience.
Jennifer sighed lazily, “Do not interrupt me again. As I was saying, I told them I wouldn’t have anything to do with them; that was in 100 level. They told me then that if they can`t have me no one else would.’’ She paused for breath. ‘’ I haven`t had any guy since, not because I fear them, but because I haven`t find a guy just as you….. You are the first guy in my life.’’ She paused again for breath.

Oh no, now he was going to cry.

Michael could not believe what he was listening to but he would dare not halt her. She continued now in tears,’’ I have tried not to go to events with you since we met for fear that they might spot us, but I couldn`t let you be the only one without a girl tonight. I had to dishonor the invitation to Aunty Clara’s wedding. I didn’t know they would come here. Am sorry love.’’

She was choking now with tears, a reflection of Michael’s eyes too.’’ They came to meet me in there; I didn’t want them to disrupt your speech so I brought them out….. I told them they were the most brainless guys I had ever met who couldn’t let a girl be. One of them lost control and stabbed me from behind.”

Michael was weeping uncontrollably,’’ You mean they did this to you because of me?’’
‘’I couldn’t let them hurt you’’
He couldn’t believe his eyes. He looked at her and for the first time since they met, he saw a flicker in her eyes, he had never seen it before. He wished time could do a gazillion backstrokes and swim back to when they first met.That would be enough to right every wrong. Even if time were ready, she was not. She was growing weaker.

‘’you have to leave here now…. they might come back for you’’, she managed.
“No, we have to leave here now. To the hospital”
‘’Leave now you fool!’’. She blurted out in tears. She silently wished she always said it rightly.

Jennifer thought she saw Michael leaving but she couldn’t say exactly if he stayed, for then her sight began to blur. The sound of the music from the hall began to faint. The moon and the stars began to dim until the last star twinkled off and it all went dark.

A short distance away from where Jennifer laid lifeless, someone grinned wryly.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2013
that's better smiley

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 08, 2013
ReineViolet: that's better smiley
No b small huzzle to make sure say i update o. Glad u like it.Next will be by 8pm 2mao.Pls keep a date. grin grin grin grin
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 09, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
No b small huzzle to make sure say i update o. Glad u like it.Next will be by 8pm 2mao.Pls keep a date. grin grin grin grin

For sure I will smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 12:10am On Oct 09, 2013
ReineViolet:

For sure I will smiley
U r such a darling. kiss
Re: The Last Star. by Tinu02(f): 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Tanx dear. More updates will hit ur screen 2mao.Pls keep a date. grin

waiter!
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
How long will I wait? sad
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
ReineViolet: How long will I wait? sad
Sorry for keeping you this long.Apologies!
Here you go. smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 09, 2013

Michael crouched on the floor of his room lost in thought. His thoughts were in a tug of war. They criss-crossed at each other and Michael became the proverbial grass, he suffered. He remembered the saying that you do not know what you have until you lose it. He silently cursed himself for he never saw the truth of that statement until now.

He rose in anger and walked the length and breadth of his room searching for answers, even if hidden. He found none and angrily crashed on his couch, gazed at the ceiling watching his rickety fan rotate wearily. The shrill sound irritated him and he almost stumbled over a chair trying to put it off.

He hated himself even now. He has been indoors over the last one week, what he saw as his punishment for Jenny’s death. No final lapse classes, no midnight reading, no attendance to discussion groups. He was completely unmoved by the threat the upcoming exams posed.

He rose abruptly. There must be an answer somewhere to fill up the void he felt inside. He stood and racked his brain for Buddha knows how long. He was sweating profusely; he wished the answers he sought could assume a face and see the sweat that lined his brow. He was sure they would forgive him, and deliver to him what he sought. He found nothing and gave up. As he turned to go inside, his eyes crashed on a picture frame on the wall.

YES!!!

Michael’s heart leapt with joy, he found what he had craved for. The answer!
He looked at the picture he and James took some months back and his bile rose; he chewed his teeth in rage and glared at the picture burrowing a hole into it with a sharp squint. He gazed up in pain, shook his head and smashed the picture.

He stormed out like a wounded lion.

Ugonna jumped down from a shuttle and hurried through the traffic at the front of the University Main Auditorium. He was on his way to the Banquet Hall and he couldn’t delay any further. His project supervisor was on his neck. “I need those pictures today or consider yourself a goner.” Dr Israel was no lecturer to toy with.

He had left Dr Israel’s office some minutes back to get the pictures and the traffic was almost ruining his chances of making the deadline the Doctor had gave him. He hissed as the cars continued flooding out. It was no new sight to him. The end of every Inaugural lecture was always like that. The only new thing being what lay ahead of him. He walked faster, almost running.

Ugonna arrived at the University Banquet hall and wasted no time. He went straight to one of the almond trees to his left, climbed and carefully detached his camera from a branch. He climbed down carefully and as his feet touched the ground, his phone rang.

He pressed the receiver button, “Hello sir”
“Do you have them now?”
“No sir. I just retrieved the camera. The pictures……”
“Get to my office now!”.
Click. The line went dead.
Re: The Last Star. by Obinnau(m): 5:39am On Oct 10, 2013
This is getting interesting.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
fankasibe: Front space booked. Àwon omo oni pop-corn yi da?
Egbon mi,hope u knw say my shadow don move o smiley
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Tinu-02:

waiter!
Tinu dear. kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie's Arise News Interview (Full Video) / How Much Does A Script Sell In Nigeria / For Ten Thousand Dollars- The Aftermath Of An Unintended Office Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.