Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

The Last Star. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Star. (31584 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
Obinnau: This is getting interesting.
Tanx Man. The creative coal will sure keep burning.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 10, 2013

Michael burst out of his apartment and yanked the door closed. He pushed the lock, venting his anger on it; wore his sandals in split seconds and galloped away in an Okonkwo-like swift movement.

He could see through the assemblage of houses to two streets away where James’ apartment was. He wished he was a 7th year student at Hogwarts; disapparition into James’ room would have been the most likely option at least to scare James out of his wits; or flying on a broomstick to quicken him to his destination. He couldn’t do any of those so he doubled his pace as little droplets of sweat dotted his nose.

Michael sauntered through the meanderings of the second street, deliberate enough not to draw attention to himself. Edo Street was a very notorious street; students were always careful when they passed through it. The moment you draw attention to yourself, cultists would swarm you like a herd of he-goats in heat.

Michael was some feet away from James’ apartment when he heard the dude’s deck blasting the romantic thrill of a French song. He knew there must be a girl in there.

He got to the doorstep and observed the presence of a feminine shoe. He was in no mood to be courteous and go back. He knocked and an obviously exhausted voice managed a response, “Who is it?”
“Michael”
“Oh! Erm….Mike, I’ll be out soon.”
It took almost a century before the door slid open and a petite girl with her cloths hanging loosely came out wearing an embarrassed smile. James followed immediately. They shared a quick hug and James grunted, “Run along dear, I’ll check on you much later.” She didn’t even wait for the sentence to drop when she walked away embarrassed.

“These fishes ehn”, James said shaking his head and smiling. He expected a reply and got none. He turned to where Michael was had stood and found an empty space staring at him. He walked inside.

“Man, whats up with you now? You just ran inside like you were being chased”
“Am not in the right frame of mind for such petty stuffs”
“Guy, you’ve got to grow up. It’s been a week now since Jennifer died and here you are acting like the World was about to end. Na wa you o”
“It’s easier for you to say”. He was losing his patience.
“Alright then, no qualms. What do I offer you?”
“James, a man whose house is on fire does not go out chasing rats”
“How about grass cutters?”
“Look man, I haven’t come here for some pathetic comedy session. It’s not funny”
“Then what is funny”, he was angry, “You come into my house when I least expected you. You practically hijacked my pleasure hours, I try to make u feel good but nothing seems to please you and here you go ranting about a pathetic comedy session. You know what, you have to give me a break.”
“I cannot give you a break”. He stood up in anger.
“Then what exactly do you want?”
“I need answers!”
“And what frigging answers are you talking about?”
“Why exactly did you kill Jennifer?”

A pin drop silence raped the room.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by timpaker(m): 8:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
Awesome. Keep it up man
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
timpaker: Awesome. Keep it up man
Tanx man. I will,surely.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
Fresh update in a moment.Pls stay glued!
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 12, 2013

The silence engulfed the room for almost two minutes the only sound being the ticktack movement of the wall clock. Michael loved it at the initial; he thought it a tacit admittance by James to the heinous crime he had committed. He saw it as James subtle way of being remorseful; keep mute while deep down the shouting pangs of repentance struck his soul. He wasn’t sure he still enjoyed it.

“Is someone going to say something, or is this some weird silent movie?” No response.
“Look James, I didn’t walk down from my house just to watch your back and the…..”
“Will you shut up?” Michael froze.

Michael looked at James stunned; he didn’t believe that just came from him, he could have sworn James wasn’t capable of such but then a lot of James’ bad side has been revealed over the last one week.

James walked down to where Michael stood carefully counting his strides to assert his authority. He was two years older than Michael but this new display of authority bore no connection to age. He reached Michael and held him by the shoulders re-assur-ingly. Michael looked up to his taller friend, tears circled his eyes.

“Michael my friend”, James began. “How can you seriously accuse me of killing Jennifer?”
Michael thought for some seconds before he replied and when he did, his reply was coated with pain and trepidation. “Killing her wasn’t what we agreed on”.
James flared up with a swift removal of his right hand from Michael’s shoulders.
“Haven’t I explained it to you? You dumbass!”
“You did but it is not in any way satisfactory”
“Oh yeah?”
“Yes James. You cannot tell me a simple job of stealing an ATM card automatically turned morbid”
“Now you look here man, if we must establish a conversation, you must watch what you say”

Michael sighed in exasperation, emotions taking a toll on him. “James if I had seen this coming, heaven knows I wouldn’t have agreed to it in the first place……… I remember how you and I started relating all of a sudden after two years as course mates. It has always seemed magical to me. I remember when you told me about Jennifer and how I was to get her…..you know ,those times you told me it’s just about the money after I complained about her irritating attitude are still clear to me”. Michael was almost in tears but James was almost not interested. It bored him, the petite girl didn’t.

Michael continued, “ ‘once we get a huge amount, she goes’, wasn’t that what you said?.... When I told you about the bank alert on her phone, I didn’t think we were going to wipe out the money alongside her life. James I told you I know her pin digits but have not the card and you assured me it wasn’t going to be hard getting it once she moved around with it. I trusted you James. I trusted you will…..”

“Trusted what exactly? You know, am beginning to get bored honestly. And whats up with all them emotions? You never told me you loved her”
“I never thought I did until that night. Right beneath those almond trees I felt something totally different, something immaculate and I saw it in her dying eyes too.”
“OH save that for the gypsies! The deed is done already”
“Could have been avoided if those brainless dudes you sent were there for the assignment instead of for revenge.”
“How do you mean?”
“They’ve had a squabble with Jennifer before”
“I know that”, James replied unperturbed. Michael was shocked.
“That can’t be, it happened in her 100level.”
“Yes, that’s in our 200level. I wanted them to drain her of every penny. They don’t have the looks and intelligence. You do.” Michael felt the world was crashing on him.
“You...You…mean I was…”
“Used? Yes...Why on earth do you think I will have anything to do with a ‘jew’ like you?” He grinned wickedly enjoying the sullen look on Michael’s face.
“Oh my God. What have I gotten myself into? I don’t even know who this guy is”, Michael muttered to himself as he hastened outside.
“GBOOH!” a loud bang and Michael crashed on the floor. James stood over him grinning.
“All your questions will be answered properly when you wake up”.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2013

Ugonna nodded involuntarily. He tried to fight off another bout of sleep threatening to kidnap him. He couldn’t afford to sleep off, the lecture will soon be over and he will have his time with Dr. Israel. He had been waiting outside his office for close to an hour now.

Dr Israel was giving special lectures to a girl behind closed doors. Ugonna has come to understand that these unserious girls needed extra lectures behind closed doors to pass their exams. Once they scaled through that hurdle, they automatically came out in flying colours.

He brought out a copy of “Bloodline” by Sidney Sheldon to consume. He was not exactly what one would call an avid reader of literature. In fact, he was not a fan, the only literary texts he had read where those he was under compulsion to read during his primary and junior secondary days. Being an Animal and Environmental biology student made his excuses all the more pardonable. He had only collected “Bloodline” from his friend because it was impressed upon him as thrilling. He sure could use some thrill then. The boredom was killing.

He read through the first page and swore it was not his calling. It was sleep inducing. He dumped it into his bag and brought out his camera. He held it delicately, he had paralyzed his alawi to buy the camera, He needed it for this research. Researches, those were what he hated the most about his department, there was always one research or the other to be done and money was always involved. He hated that.

This particular research was simple enough; he was to study the behavioural patterns of insects that are attracted to halogen lamps at night. He was to identify and classify these insects for further study; pictures were to be part of it. There were no halogen lamps around his house and he couldn’t stay all night in the cold trying to get pictures in school so he devised a plan.

Ugonna arrived at the University Banquet hall that particular day at about 6pm. He saw a gathering outside and knew there must be some event going on there. He had no time for sightseeing so he went straight to one of the almost trees to his left. He had spotted it some days back when he came for ‘night jacking’. There was street lamp close to it and it was a usual hive for insects of all sorts at night.

He had climbed the tree albeit with some difficulty and strapped his camera directly opposite the lamp. He had zoomed the camera to take close shots and adjusted the settings to take intermittent pictures of 15 minutes intervals.

He arrived only this evening to retrieve his camera which he met sliding downwards. He wondered why the camera faced down; he hoped it didn’t end up capturing what he needed not. Immediately after that phone call from Dr Israel, he had tried to take a quick glance at the pictures before the Doctor penalized him for bringing rubbish to him. He glanced through the first few pictures, it caught the street lamp with little or no insect, and then the insects began to increase in number. He looked at some more and just as he was about quitting and putting the camera in his bag, he saw something odd. A girl with a purple and gold gown was standing in between two guys. One of the guys had a gun.
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dont always forget the comments people.They go a long way in helping yours sincerely keep blazing.Tanx!!!
Re: The Last Star. by Obinnau(m): 9:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Dont always forget the comments people.They go a long way in helping yours sincerely keep blazing.Tanx!!!
loving it. Infact I owe you one.

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by Silvarose(f): 5:56am On Oct 23, 2013
Guy, nyc work u got, i luv d twist but update need to flow well.
Re: The Last Star. by Tinu02(f): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice update
Re: The Last Star. by kinxen(f): 10:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
Hmmm..wow cheesy mooooorrrrreeee grin
Re: The Last Star. by misslaw(f): 1:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
cnt wait...more plsss
Re: The Last Star. by misslaw(f): 1:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
wen is d nxt update..follown
Re: The Last Star. by timpaker(m): 2:03pm On Oct 26, 2013

Damn!!!
See pure cocaine. I'm addicted grin
**waiting for the next update**
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
*spreads mat on thread* smiley
Totally loving this kiss
Re: The Last Star. by bufness(m): 2:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
i hope its a̶̲̥̅̊ long story
Re: The Last Star. by adisa204(m): 2:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Wow cool story.love the twist and the narrative style,just try more with your updates make them longer and select a specific day tym ull b updating.guys that would for updates.kudos.yours truly
Re: The Last Star. by opeoluwa2(f): 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nice
Re: The Last Star. by princesa(f): 2:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
good thing i boarded the train on time. Weldone. You're also on frontpage wink
Re: The Last Star. by Balley(f): 3:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
So so followin.....luv it
Re: The Last Star. by Sleekbaby(f): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ride on man, i'm ryt behind u, front page tinz i blv u r ryt man 2 d oga @ top
Re: The Last Star. by plainmirror(m): 3:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
Anoda killer thriller
Re: The Last Star. by kojusoluwa(m): 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
I love dis.can u pls continue
Re: The Last Star. by Olamilekan08(m): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
O boy!! I'm in for an action movie..
Following bumper to bumber..though in a ghost mode.. Thumbs up.
Re: The Last Star. by Dchiefpriest(m): 3:48pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nkpume Iko: Michael had forgotten to signal the beginning of the after party; James had been wise enough to do that but not even the freshly transmitted beats of 2face's ''Ihe Neme'' could stop Michael from racing outside.

The moon and stars had their eyes wide open, it was as though someone had whispered to them that something historic was about to take place. Their roving eyes were all the fore of the Banquet hall needed to radiate.

Michael burst out of the hall to the expansive plain devoid of human trace. He threw some quick anxious glances to his left, no one was there. As he turned right, farther down the almond trees, he saw a figure lying on the ground. His heart lost a beat. He surged to the figure and there laid Jennifer.
this d part i love most....keep it rollin boy, DCHIEFPRIEST dey folow

1 Like

Re: The Last Star. by OMORIHI(f): 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
I believe this is the climax.Abeg continue o
Re: The Last Star. by fidek(m): 4:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
Guy begin write novel na
Re: The Last Star. by Ballo52(m): 4:32pm On Oct 26, 2013
Dis is cool
Re: The Last Star. by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
i dey here o, oga pls continue nah
Re: The Last Star. by Lizboh(f): 5:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
I dont usually comment on stories, but ur write-up is nice so pls if u know dt u wont b able to give us regular update u shld let us know and nt after u av whet out appetite, story go dey change.
Re: The Last Star. by callmehydee(m): 7:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Gud one man.......... 9ce story..... Bt try complete am.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie's Arise News Interview (Full Video) / How Much Does A Script Sell In Nigeria / For Ten Thousand Dollars- The Aftermath Of An Unintended Office Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.