Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,054 members, 7,838,662 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock (13586 Views)

Who Is This Japhet Omojuwa Of A Guy & What Is His Problem? He Called GEJ, Idi0t / What Is The Biggest Problem Facing Nigeria? / Describe Nigeria's Biggest Problem In One Word! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 7:13am On Oct 07, 2013
naptu2: Lessons from the Dantata/Dangote story:

1) Do not get involved in partisan politics, but make sure you are close to the authorities (Chief MKO Abiola would have benefited from this advice).

2) Do not be overly flamboyant or ostentatious (it breeds jealousy, envy and hatred). Again, Chief Abiola would have benefited from this advice.

3) As a family unit, you gain more from cooperation than from conflict (he advised them to continue to marry within the family and to take care of the poorer members of the family). Note that Aliko Dangote worked for Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata and got a business loan from him. Sayyu Dantata worked for Aliko Dangote and got his business idea while serving as chief executive of Dangote Transport. Witness what is happening in the Abiola and Ibru families.

4) Education is important. Make sure you know about the business you are involved in and that you have broad knowledge that would assist you in future. Alhassan had an advantage over other Kano merchants because he understood basic english and basic accounting, enough to help him in his dealings with others.

5) Volume trading: As much as possible, make sure you are the dominant player in your area of business, such that you can control events and prices within that sector.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 7:18am On Oct 07, 2013
naptu2: Allegations, rumours and stories.

Like most wealthy and famous people, allegations, rumours and legends have made the rounds about members of the Dantata/Dangote dynasty.

It is alleged that Alhassan Dantata sold his goods below market prices in order to undercut his competitors.

It is also alleged that Dr Aminu Dantata has a money printing machine in his bedroom and that this is the source of his wealth.

It is further alleged that Alhaji Aliko Dangote hires pirates and saboteurs who raid his competitors ships and empty their cargo of sugar into the ocean, or pour water into their bags of cement. He allegedly uses his connection with politicians to ensure that he maintains a monopoly over the sectors of the economy that he has interests.

I guess I should add this to the list "Aliko Dangote selects the President of Nigeria".

Quick quiz: (1) who picked Goodluck Jonathan and Umaru Yar'Adua for the 2007 elections; Olusegun Obasanjo or Aliko Dangote?

(2) Who picked Olusegun Obasanjo for the 1999 elections; Ibrahim Babangida or Aliko Dangote?
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by ebamma(m): 7:19am On Oct 07, 2013
biafranqueen: You are not understanding me Bros I am saying that CEMENT MANUFACTURED IN THIS COUNTRY SHOULD BE CHEAPER!!!!!!
Don't you get it the price has double since we have started manufacturing cement. He made struck a deal with Aso Rock to increase the tariffs and now he increased the price of cement. He is building his wealth on the backs of Nigerians by selling cement at $10-11.00/ N1650-1800 per bag, which is twice the global average for the same size of the product.

confess woman, u just hate the man,maybe u are not even based in nigeria sef, u just saw an article online and copied it and pasted it here, dangote is not the only cement company in nigeria, here in cross river state we have unicem, which manufactures their cement here and sells at the same rate like dangote cement, maybe dangote is not only controlling aso rock, he is also controlling his competitors not to bring down prices
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 7:26am On Oct 07, 2013
ebamma: confess woman, u just hate the man,maybe u are not even based in nigeria sef, u just saw an article online and copied it and pasted it here, dangote is not the only cement company in nigeria, here in cross river state we have unicem, which manufactures their cement here and sells at the same rate like dangote cement, maybe dangote is not only controlling aso rock, he is also controlling his competitors not to bring down prices

God bless you.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 7:29am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 07, 2013
manny4life: Sis, the way I look at it is simple. Give me $1million and I will start cement manufacturing just like Dangote started, with the forces of market in place, I will crash price in the market which will make me expand.

Moral of the story: We can continue to blame everyone but ourselves, let Igbo entrepreneurs come together and join forces, establishing same market just like Dangote will force prices down. It's that simple. With the recent happenings of events, I doubt Jonathan is being controlled.

manny4life:

Then it's time for local entrepreneurs to crank it up and show him the business. If 1,000 youths today came up with $1,000 and set up a business just to crash cement price in the east, it will affect him one way or another... Laws of demand and supply.

Lmaoooo How old are you, for real?

P.S: Why is everything always tribe to u?
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by ebamma(m): 7:56am On Oct 07, 2013
manny4life: Sis, the way I look at it is simple. Give me $1million and I will start cement manufacturing just like Dangote started, with the forces of market in place, I will crash price in the market which will make me expand.

Moral of the story: We can continue to blame everyone but ourselves, let Igbo entrepreneurs come together and join forces, establishing same market just like Dangote will force prices down. It's that simple. With the recent happenings of events, I doubt Jonathan is being controlled.
guy abeg no do make i laugh, u wan use 1milliøn dollars(160million naira)start cement manufacturing abi, that money can not even complete the foundation of a cement factory,u think say cement manufacturing na small thing
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 07, 2013

That was the sermon of capitalisim. There is nothing or i have never seen any thing price that comes down in nigeria(are u telling me garri rubber #230 will be sold again at #80 to #100). Nt because it is cost of production, but shear wickedness. How will sm1 take a bag of cement frm a 800 niara and within 8 months its 2300 niara with out reasonable explanation?(is there no price regulation body in this country? Even if it is there, corruption can undermine it.) No matter all those ppl who start new buisness they will never like to start with a lower price because it løok meaningless that former prices doesnt seem valuable again, it look too small a money. Imagine u are saying that D #550 rubber of rice comes back to 320 niara. Dont u urself see it invaluable? Thats why D govt Will continue to have strike 4 increment on wages whn it turn blind eye, while ppl(individual) fixes price on prices abitarily. Ist really sensible for imported prices and local made things price to be D same? Do u knw D chains of transaction through D imported? D Importer is there, D exporter is there, D manufacture is there, D shipping ppl get there gain frm D same goods and u come to nigeria where D goods leave manufacture to retailer, no exporter and it is still costlier than imported goods! We are all nt yet ready to change this country. I thought capitalism was 60% private sector, 4o% percent govt. Where govt controls price of commodity. And it subsidies imported product or start producing to aviod cost of subsidy, but even if all these things happen in nigeria u can never see how they better,relief and improve lives d population. Imagine a NEPA official asking me if they bring 24hour electricty wether can nigerians pay. The thing is, ist nt D value or D money paid to civil servant by D govt he will use to setles his bills, will he generate special income for electricity, will he nt run other issues? And if the country is incompetent to have resoucers to hold D nation, they better let every individual his own rights. I wonder wht kind of country is this!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 9:28am On Oct 07, 2013
^^^^

There is nothing or i have never seen any thing price that comes down in nigeria

Yar'Adua's petrol. Cost of making a phone call or sending text messages (used to be 15 naira per text message, it's now 4 naira per text message) before and after Glo, etc.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Tegalinx(m): 9:50am On Oct 07, 2013
biafranqueen: He could have used that money to open up a school for the women and children. He is the richest man in Africa. It is better to teach them to fish then to give them fish. He is highly intelligent he knows what to do to help those women in the long run like setting up micro financing.

I agree with u completely

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 10:06am On Oct 07, 2013
naptu2: The Dantata/Dangote family have always been involved in charity work. However these deeds often go unnoticed, because of the family's principles of maintaining privacy and lack of flamboyance.

Al-Hassan Dantata was passionate about education. He backed the establishment of a western style school in the Dala area for hausa (I.e non-fulani) traders' children in the 1930s and established the Dantata english and arabic school in 1944.

Mariya Dangote (Aliko Dangote's mother) donated a hospital, which she built at Rijiya Lemu, to the Kano State Government in 2003.

Aliko Dangote has made the following charitable contributions:

2.5 billion naira to the national fund for flood victims in 2012. 430 million naira to Kogi flood victims. 100 million naira to Sokoto flood victims. $2 million to Pakistan's flood victims. 120 million naira to fight famine in Niger. 600 million naira to women empowerment and free school feeding schemes in Kano State. 500 student capacity hall at Kano State University. 10 million naira annual scholarship for Benue students. $2 million to African Young Leaders fellowship in conjunction with the Forum For Young Global Leaders. $1 million towards education and women empowerment in Tanzania. 1 billion naira to states suffering from the Boko Haram insurgency. 1,000 bed hospital in Kano. And many more

He established the Dangote Foundation which is the philanthropic arm of the dangote Group where yearly he spends millions for worthy causes such as contributions to educational and healthcare institutions, sinking of boreholes and giving of scholarships.

The Dangote Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have jointly pledged to donate huge sums of money towards the eradication of polio in Kano State.

He also established the Dangote Academy.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by LajaLaba: 10:13am On Oct 07, 2013
shymexx:

Utter bollocks!

How does he pick the presidents?

Anyway, if you don't like his business model and how he has been able to take advantage of the system - why can't you boycott everything he's involved in?

Guy u know nothing!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Kingspin(m): 10:56am On Oct 07, 2013
Where is the cable leak for all i know Dangote made his money politically and not economically like the way Bill gates of his world became richest men. Thats many reasons he persönally pick on Ibeto to enjoy monopoly as he usually does in all his products in our market. If he found his way Unicem will be close. I dnt hate Dangote but i know is sudden wealth is fishy and political. I wish too FG do the same to other business Moguls in Nigeria.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:06am On Oct 07, 2013
Kingspin: Where is the cable leak for all i know Dangote made his money politically and not economically like the way Bill gates of his world became richest men. Thats many reasons he persönally pick on Ibeto to enjoy monopoly as he usually does in all his products in our market. If he fund his way Unicem will be close. I dnt hate Dangote but i know is sudden wealth is fishy and political. I wish too FG do the same to other business Moguls in Nigeria.

What's sudden about his wealth? His great grandfather was the richest man in West Africa, his granduncle was the richest man in Nigeria, his mother is one of the richest women in Nigeria, where is the suddenness?
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:13am On Oct 07, 2013
Part 2

Alhaji (Dr) Aminu Alhassan Dantata

www.nairaland.com/attachments/660164_Aminu20Dantata_giff33170ebf4f970c6a70bb8e00f7145dd
(May 1931-)

(Aliko Dangote’s granduncle)

Dr Aminu Alhassan Dantata (CON) is a wealthy Nigerian businessman and philanthropist from Kano.

Dr Aminu Dantata was born in Kano to legendary businessman Alhassan Dantata and Amina Umma Zaria. He began his career in 1949 as a produce buyer in the family business of Alhassan Dantata and Sons Limited. After the death of his brother, Ahmadu Dantata, he became the principal heir to the Dantata family business. He became the Chairman and Managing Director of the company in 1960, a position he holds till date.

However, in the late 1960s, he worked with the newly created Kano State as a commissioner. He left in 1972 to partake in the nation’s industrial drive and was known to have bought shares in major companies including Mentholatum, Raleigh Industries, SCOA, Nigerian Pipes, Northern Nigeria Flour Mills and later, Kano State Oil Mills. During the period, the Dantata business expanded in the North, supplying fertilizer, jute bags, rice and cement to various state governments. It also expanded its importing ventures by bringing in building materials and automobiles, in the case of the latter; it was a distributor of Mercedes Benz cars in the country.

The business also invested in large scale farming, with holdings in Asada Farms. Dr. Dantata was a member of the Steering Committee of the Nigerian Industrial Development Bank Limited, and served as a director of the bank between 1962 and 1966. He has led several trade missions to several countries across the world.

He was noted, together with Chief M.K.O Abiola, as being one of the wealthier Nigerians in the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s.

He is currently the Chancellor of Katsina Islamic University and the patron of the Kano State Foundation. The foundation engages in the provision of social services and credit to Kano State indigenes. He is also affiliated with Nigeria’s proposed Islamic Bank, Jaiz and earlier in his life with some Tijaniyya scholars, including Mohammed Kafanga. He was a former member of the Kano Provincial Loans Board.

Dr. Dantata has also held several public offices, including Chairman, Board of Trustees, Islamic Forum of Nigeria, Aminu Kano Memorial College, Kano. He is the proprietor, Dantata Memorial School, Kano; Life patron, Nigerian Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Kano, National Council of Farmers and the Nigerian Association of Small Scale Industries among several others.

https://www.nairaland.com/891985/dantata-dangote-story-how-create
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:18am On Oct 07, 2013
Part 3

Sanusi Dantata (Aliko Dangote’s grandfather)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1126439_947130_651635298183835_1557471046_n_jpg6a3a58e3cc39ad89ef65c2a9ac02c4e7

Sanusi Dantata (born c. 1919, date of death unknown) was a Nigerian entrepreneur and son of Alhassan Dantata.

In the 1960s, he was the largest licensed produce buying agent of groundnut in Nigeria. However by 1980, he had relinquished some of his business interest to his sons, including the eldest, Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata, who co-founded Dantata and Sawoe and Asada Farms.

Business network

The Dantata family operated their businesses partly through a patrimonial system of credit allocation, trade and business transfers to kin, household and other members of their clientage. At one point in time, both Sanusi and his brother, Aminu controlled about 200 agents involved in buying Kola nut, Livestock, Ground nut and Merchandise. The system involved about five autonomous level of associates, agents, and farmers. Some members of these system engage in buying goods from restricted rural areas and transporting it to the city where another group of agents in the Urban area buys the goods and store them in stead for Dantata. Also the Dantata family through marriage and credit extension is linked with a few independent trading families in Kano and Northern Nigeria.

Sanusi Dantata was a personal friend of the Qadiriyya scholar, Ali Kumasi and supported some of the latter's religious works in Kano. His support for Ali Kumasi led him into conflict with Nasiru Kabara, the leader of the Qadiriyya movement in Kano and West Africa and a former tutor of Sanusi. Both Kumasi and Dantata tried to promote an independent Qadiriyya scholarship and religious authority, challenging the leadership of Kabaya. However, by the early 1970s, both men joined the Kabara faction of Kano Qadiriyya.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by manny4life(m): 11:24am On Oct 07, 2013
ebamma: guy abeg no do make i laugh, u wan use 1milliøn dollars(160million naira)start cement manufacturing abi, that money can not even complete the foundation of a cement factory,u think say cement manufacturing na small thing

Apparently the joke was lost on you... I told you "moral of the story" and you're telling me dust here... Nna abeg go and seat down.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:25am On Oct 07, 2013
Part 4

Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata,

www.nairaland.com/attachments/660468_abdulkadir_dantata_200_150_jpg538ec72a3e0075751e0afbb6b57a4032

September 1 1945- February 7 2012 (Aliko Dangote's uncle). He gave Aliko Dangote a business loan with which Dangote started the Dangote Group

The late Alhaji Dantata was born in Sarari Dantata Quarters in the ancient city of Kano to the famous Dantata family on September 1, 1945. He was the eldest son of Sanusi Dantata, son of business mogul and patriarch, Alhassan Dantata, but by dint of hard work, he built a stupendous fortune for himself.

Not even the family's renowned business and trade patrimony, which had already guaranteed him a financially secure future, could stop the late Dantata from knowledge acquisition. This took him first to Sudan and then Kumasi, Ghana, where he obtained a certificate in advanced Islamic studies in 1956. Four years later, he returned to Nigeria to complete primary education at Kuka Primary School, Fagge in Kano. Unlike some of his peers, a thirst for knowledge nudged him on to acquire the Grade Two Teachers’ Certificate in 1968 before he joined the family business of cotton, groundnut and other agricultural products. In fact, the family business line was the largest licensed produce-buying agent of groundnut in Nigeria in the 1960s.

BUSINESS

Alhaji Dantata would not be content with that; he needed to express himself as he established his Dantata Land and Sea, a company that was into transportation, civil engineering and farming. The business initiatives further crystallised into one of the biggest construction firms - Dantata and Sawoe (founded in 1975) - which he partnered with German interests. As chairman of various business interests including the Asada Group, Brunelli Construction Co. Ltd, WJ Syndicate, Goguwasia Trading Company, Beijing-China, the sky was his limit. His business empire traversed construction, shipping, farming, trading and manufacturing.

Long before he died on February 7 this year, he had deservedly earned for himself the national award of the Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) for his industry and contributions to the development of the country.

A stream of eminent personalities and well wishers at his burial could have indicated his disposition to people and life generally.  Dantata’s health challenges may have cut short his other taller ambitions, but he would remain a beacon of hope and inspiration to budding businessmen.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by manny4life(m): 11:26am On Oct 07, 2013
kingoflag:

Lmaoooo How old are you, for real?

P.S: Why is everything always tribe to u?

When adults are talking, ochicha is talking... LOL

biko carry your dead body comot jare... cool cool cool cool
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:29am On Oct 07, 2013
Part 5

Dr Mariya Sanusi Dangote (nee Dantata)

Billionaire businesswoman, Dr Mariya Dangote, is the daughter of Sanusi Dantata and granddaughter of legendary businessman Alhassan Dantata. She is married to Mohammed Dangote (a business associate of Alhassan Dantata) for whom she had Aliko Dangote, a multi-billionaire businessman. Her brother is Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata, one of the founders of Dantata & Sawoe Construction Company and Asada Farms.

She sits on the boards of numerous companies, including MRS Oil and Gas, Mentholatum Nigeria Limited and the Dangote group. She is also known for her philanthropy, donating a hospital, which she built at Rijiya Lemu, to the Kano State Government in 2003.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by vedaxcool(m): 11:30am On Oct 07, 2013
The HATE INDUSTRY employs 97% of the world population and by every estimate, is the largest employer in the world, the only only industry that simultaneously employs both the EMPLOYED and UNEMPLOYED
!

OP is just hating, I don't like the dude Dangote, but neither do I hate him!

Stop the Hate . . .

grin grin grin
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 11:48am On Oct 07, 2013
Part 6

Alhaji Aliko Dangote

www.nairaland.com/attachments/660801_dangote_jpgb76b8418fae8e5dcfc3177215383c6c1

Aliko Dangote was born in the northern Nigerian state of Kano on April 10, 1957 into a wealthy Hausa-Muslim family. His mother Mariya Sanusi Dantata was the granddaughter of legendary businessman Alhassan Dantata, and his father Mohammed Dangote was Dantata’s business associate.

Dangote had an early interest in business “I can remember when I was in primary school, I would go and buy cartons of sweets and I would start selling them just to make money. I was so interested in business, even at that time.” He attended the Al Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt (the oldest university in the world) studying business studies, before working for his uncle Sanusi Abdulkadir Dantata who eventually gave him a business loan at the age of 21.

Dangote Group

Dangote started trading commodities and building materials in Kano in 1977. He moved to Lagos that summer and, encouraged by the success of his business ventures so far, incorporated two companies in 1981

The Dangote Group, originally a small trading firm founded in 1977, is now a multi-trillion-naira conglomerate with operations in Benin, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroun, Zambia, South Africa and Togo. Dangote’s businesses include food processing, cement manufacturing, and freight. The Dangote Group dominates the sugar market in Nigeria: it is the major sugar supplier to the country’s soft drink companies, breweries, and confectioners. Dangote Group has moved from being a trading company to Nigeria’s largest industrial group, including Dangote Sugar Refinery (the most capitalized company on the Nigeria Stock Exchange, valued at over US$3 billion with Aliko Dangote’s equity topping US$2 billion), Africa’s largest Cement Production Plant: Obajana Cement, Dangote Flour amongst others.

Aliko Dangote has a knack for seeing opportunity that others can't see. He approached the Nigerian Ports Authority with the idea of leasing an abandoned piece of land at the Apapa Port, where he subsequently built facilities for his flour company. When other flour companies protested, the chairman of the NPA, Chief Olabode George stated that Dangote was the one who came up with the idea. Similarly, in the 1990s he approached the Central Bank of Nigeria with the idea that it would be cheaper for the bank to allow his transport company to manage their fleet of staff buses.

Today Dangote Group dominates the sugar market in Nigeria and Dangote Sugar Refinery is the main supplier (70% of the market) to the country’s soft drinks companies, breweries and confectioners. It is the largest refinery in Africa and the third largest in the world producing 800,000 tonnes of sugar annually. Dangote Group also owns salt factories and flour mills and is a major importer of rice, fish, pasta, cement and fertilizer. The company also exports cotton, cashew nuts, cocoa, sesame seed and ginger to several countries. Dangote Group also has major investments in real estate, banking, transport, textiles and oil and gas. It employs over 18,000 people and is the largest industrial conglomerate in West Africa.

Dangote is branching into telecommunications and has started building 14,000 kilometres of fibre optic cables to supply the whole of Nigeria. He was honoured in January 2009 as the leading provider of employment in the Nigerian construction industry.

“[Nigerians] can be even bigger than me, ” he said “you just have to believe that yes, there is a future in this country of ours and I can tell you right now, I don’t believe we have even started doing anything in Nigeria because the opportunities are so enormous. I don’t even know where to start.

“Let me tell you this and I want to really emphasize it…nothing is going to help Nigeria like Nigerians bringing back their money. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work.”

Political contributions and associates

Dangote played a prominent role in the funding of Obasanjo’s re-election campaign in 2003, to which he contributed over N200 million (US$2M). He gave N50 million (US$0.5M) to the National Mosque under the aegis of “Friends of Obasanjo and Atiku”, and contributed N200 million to the Presidential Library. These controversial gifts to members of the ruling People’s Democratic Party have contributed to concerns over continued graft despite highly publicized anti-corruption drive during Obasanjo’s second term. Alhaji Dangote was also one of the major players in getting President Umaru Yar’Adua elected.

Nigerians are generally proud of Dangote’s achievements, but many insist that his business acquisitions were unfairly gained due to his links with Nigeria’s ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo and that his virtual monopoly over much of Nigeria’s commodities is stifling competition. “I am close to people in government because I am one of the big businessmen in Nigeria,” he said. “If we don’t have the right people there then all the money I have is useless”.

The recent increase in cement prices, an industry dominated by Dangote Group, forced the government to allow cement imports in the hope that the competition would lower prices, much to the annoyance of Dangote. Dangote’s unanimous election as president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange further led to accusations of unfair business practice as two of his businesses are listed on the exchange.

Wealth

Worth $3.3 billion in 2008, Dangote was the richest black African to appear on Forbes’ Billionaire list and beat Oprah Winfrey to become the world’s richest black person. Alhaji Aliko Dangote has been a major player in Nigerian commerce since the 1970s and his business empire controls the import and export of a variety of products in West Africa. This led to speculation that he was the wealthiest African in the world, but he said, “I think I have to be rated by Forbes magazine first before I can be [called] the richest man in Africa.”

Dangote got his wish in 2008 when he debuted as the first Nigerian on the annual Forbes’ Billionaires list with a $3.3 billion fortune, and became the richest black person on the planet taking the title from media mogul Oprah Winfrey ($2.5 billion). He was ranked No. 334 in the world (No. 1 was America’s Warren Buffet with $62 billion), and although Egypt (The Sawiris family: $32 billion) and South Africa (The Oppenheimer family: $5.7 billion) had richer men, Aliko is the first African billionaire of fully Black African ancestry to be listed.

Sub-Saharan Africans were usually absent from Forbes magazine’s annual compilation of the world’s 1,000+ billionaires. Past African presidents like Congo’s Mobutu and Nigeria’s Sani Abacha probably became billionaires after pocketing their country’s wealth, but Forbes did not confirm or legitimise their money.

Dangote was the first verifiable Black African billionaire, with Patrice Motsepe of South Africa also on the list with $2.4 billion from his mining company. Forbes reportedly wanted to feature Dangote on the cover of the 2008 magazine but he politely declined.

He said he was grateful to God for the achievement: “The signs are very good for Nigeria. Next year, I expect at least five Nigerians to be on the list.”

But that was not to be as the 2009 list showed the effects of the global recession with many billionaires making huge loses or dropping off the list altogether. Aliko’s wealth fell to $2.5 billion owing to a 70% fall in share prices, but he moved up the world ranking to No. 261. The 2009 list also featured another Nigerian, oil magnate Femi Otedola with $1.2 billion.

Dangote controls much of Nigeria’s commodities trade through his corporate and political connections. With an estimated net worth of around US$ 2.5 billion (2009), he was ranked by Forbes as one of the richest black African citizens and the third richest person of African descent in the world behind Mohammed Al Amoudi ($9.0 billion) and Oprah Winfrey ($2.7 billion.).

In 2011, Dangote was ranked as the richest person of African descent, with an estimated worth of $13.8 billion, relegating Mohammed al Amoudi (12.3 billion) and Oprah Winfrey (2.7 billion) to second and third places respectively.

In the 2012 Forbes list, Dangote is ranked number 76 with a net worth of $11.2b.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Kingspin(m): 12:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
naptu2:

What's sudden about his wealth? His great grandfather was the richest man in West Africa, his granduncle was the richest man in Nigeria, his mother is one of the richest women in Nigeria, where is the suddenness?
We cant deny facts the same conspiracy to make sure Nigeria remain with one int'l airport and even the recent new airport. It almost in every key areas. Dangote dnt have to tell FG that a fellow biz man should pay up his debts to the Govt even when himself is a debtor to the same FG. Pls let the same support, incentives, good tariff, duty free etc be extended to every one in Nigeria including you, they dnt have to pick and anointe two persons and allow others to pass through more than hell. If you want to develop Nigeria reach and spread it across the country no matter how little thats one thing i love about Mr Jonathan like if it where to be before the remodelling in the Aviation sector would have only be awarded to Lagos, Abuja and probably PortHarcourt. Think all Nigeria first.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Kingspin(m): 12:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
I dnt truth some of these cut and join stories to make-up esp. in Nigeria when political robbery and huge political allocation of oil wells to few individuals who in most cases dnt even know the real colour of crude oil remain questionable in the face of unbalance and bias system of ours from time past. But today they answer the richest ones in Nigeria with thief hand. No one sided thing if you want to rember Nigeria make is all and balance, be heterogenous. Yes, Dangote is one individual doing well. Kudos to him.
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
Kingspin:
We cant deny facts the same conspiracy to make sure Nigeria remain with one int'l airport and even the recent new airport. It almost in every key areas. Dangote dnt have to tell FG that a fellow biz man should pay up his debts to the Govt even when himself is a debtor to the same FG. Pls let the same support, incentives, good tariff, duty free etc be extended to every one in Nigeria including you, they dnt have to pick and anointe two persons and allow others to pass through more than hell. If you want to develop Nigeria reach and spread it across the country no matter how little thats one thing i love about Mr Jonathan like if it where to be before the remodelling in the Aviation sector would have only be awarded to Lagos, Abuja and probably PortHarcourt. Think all Nigeria first.

Why shouldn't a businessman demand for fair and equal treatment? It happens all over the world. A businessman has the right to call for fair and equal treatment if he feels that his competitor is being subsidised by government.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Kingspin: I dnt truth some of these cut and join stories to make-up esp. in Nigeria when political robbery and huge political allocation of oil wells to few individuals who in most cases dnt even know the real colour of crude oil remain questionable in the face of unbalance and bias system of ours from time past. But today they answer the richest ones in Nigeria with thief hand. No one sided thing if you want to rember Nigeria make is all and balance, be heterogenous. Yes, Dangote is one individual doing well. Kudos to him.

It's pretty difficult to understand what you are saying, but I see that you've not refuted anything I posted. Are you saying that Alhassan Dantata was not the richest man in Nigeria in 1952? Are you still insisting that Dangote "suddenly" became wealthy?

Who conspired to ensure that we have only one international airport? Don't we have international airports in Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Calabar, etc?
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
shymexx: Very funny topic and illogical conclusion.

The gorilla in-charge of the country isn't the problem, but a legit and shrewd businessman is, yes?

Laughable!! grin grin grin grin

You people have no respect for Mr President.Must u insult?Make ur point on the thread and get lost!!!
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by biafranqueen: 2:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
Do you know what it means to donate TWO MILLION DOLLARS to a presidential candidate is that not what I said he bought Aso Rock and this is chicken change compared to what he donated to Goodluck and his predecessor. Allow my company and others the same importation privileges as Dangote. We are now manufacturing cement and it is cheaper to buy imported cement. This is too greedy nobody is doubting his families wealth and connection in government. I am happy he is on the billionaire list yippie but how has this help the average Nigerian when they can not buy local rice and cement at a reasonable price? Because of security and electricity? Come off it the price of cement has more then double since he came into the market, the government has been bought and he sets the price. We come here and justifying corruption blaming the government but not the ones that are corrupting them smh.

LEADERS are a reflection of the PEOPLE look how people come here justifying corruption of leaders, look how ordinary people come here and say they would do the same atrocities. I am really wasting my time trying to build something back home, when the average person supports corrupt practices. I am starting to believe my father that I am wasting my time dreaming of a bright future for Nigeria. cry a responsible leader can never lead irresponsible people
Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 2:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
All businesses try to get close to politicians. In the US, despite the campaign financing law, corporations donate HEAVILY to politicians and political causes. Some corporations put pressure on their employees to donate, while others do not donate directly to the candidate, but rather to the political party or other political associations.

The whole issue of banning importation of products in order to protect local industries, jobs, etc and protect the economy did not start with Dangote. It's been the practice dating back to the First Republic. Dangote is simply smart enough to invest in areas that are under served or heavily dependent on importation.

There was a law that was enacted in the 1970s which banned the government from buying imported cars (they had to depend on PAN, VON, Anamco, etc), was that also done because of Dangote? China has also had restrictions on imported products, is that because of Dangote?

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2013
The solution to this is certainly not importation (exporting jobs, harming the currency, etc) but in encouraging other domestic producers.

With respect to cement we've got WAPCO/Lafarge, Unicem, etc. Ibeto should set up a factory and produce within Nigeria. He's certainly got the money to do that.

With respect to flour, we've got Flour Mills of Nigeria, Honeywell, etc.

Dangote dominates the industrial sugar business, but it's not even scratching the surface with respect to household sugar. The Milan Group, with their imported St Louis Sugar enjoys monopoly of the household sugar business. We also have BUA Sugar. I believe that the government needs to encourage The Milan Group to produce some of their sugar in Nigeria, while improving infrastructure and costs of doing business.

The answer lies with increasing domestic production and encouraging other players to enter the market. It certainly does not lie in importation.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by naptu2: 2:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
God knows we already import WAAAAAAY too many goods into Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Is Nigeria's Biggest Problem He Has Bought Aso Rock by biafranqueen: 3:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
naptu2: God knows we already import WAAAAAAY too many goods into Nigeria.
I agree with you and I hope to produce palm oil on a large scale to export to cosmetics companies, it is very frustrating trying to build an industry and the cost of getting started is growing by the minute. I am pissed off that I have to import cement and even with the tariff it is still cheaper then buying from a local. Driving it in from Ghana and paying the road tariff is even less expensive just does not make sense! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Parents Identify 21 Chibok Girls- Daily Trust / Expect More Increase In Electricity Bill – NERC / Marketers Predict Six-Month Fuel Scarcity, Prices Rise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.