Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,433 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Atheism Is Irrational. - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is Irrational. (7403 Views)

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) / 3 Reasons Why Theism Is Irrational Compared To Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
jayriginal: Just about two things are obvious from this thread.

Most people who argue against atheism do not know what it is.

The very same people refuse to learn and accept what atheism is because they will have little or nothing to argue against.

I do not mean "accept" as in become atheists themselves, I mean accept that what they considered atheism is a distorted definition.

Naturally, they will not take correction because it will mean they will have to stop saying things like

- atheism is a belief
- atheism relies on blind faith
- . . .

Gbam angry

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 1:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Mind is eternal and un-created.

The only real thing.

God, being itself the eternal and infinite mind, is the only truly real thing in existence. This mind, is, by nature, self-existent.

Gbam!
God is not only mind , but most importantly in your, mind. grin

Yesterday god was energy, the day before god was a force, today god is mind, tomorrow god will be light, and the next day god will be something else.
You are creating and recreating god every other day,.......in your mind.

My dear friend, surely you are damn too smart not to realize that god is simply anything you want it to be.

Can't you just realize that all these omni omniness, and all the superlative superlatives of god are your projected ideals?
They are like self-made positive re-enforcements for you.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

The universe is but a figment of Mind.

Interesting.
We can also say same of the supposed creator.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by MrTroll(m): 1:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
italo: 1. Mazaje.

Should I continue?

to be fair, i think what he is always arguing is against religious gods of which i'm in support. Though if its only mazaje you opened this thread for then you might have had to specify it in your OP.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by MrTroll(m): 1:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
jayriginal: Just about two things are obvious from this thread.

Most people who argue against atheism do not know what it is.

The very same people refuse to learn and accept what atheism is because they will have little or nothing to argue against.

I do not mean "accept" as in become atheists themselves, I mean accept that what they considered atheism is a distorted definition.

Naturally, they will not take correction because it will mean they will have to stop saying things like

- atheism is a belief
- atheism relies on blind faith
- . . .
thank you. You have said it all. They want it to be a belief by all means.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 2:02pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sorry to derail for an important newsflash.

Newsflash:
It has just been reported that demons are sending sms to Joagbaje!

It is proof that with the rational belief in god, nothing is impossible.
lol.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by jayriginal: 2:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
plaetton: Sorry to derail for an important newsflash.

Newsflash:

lol.

Yeah I saw that. I had to exit the thread quickly before the tears from my eyes got into my keyboard and fried my system components.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
jayriginal:

Yeah I saw that. I had to exit the thread quickly before the tears from my eyes got into my keyboard and fried my system components.

where?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Joshthefirst(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2013
frank3.16:
man 1: i am a police man
logicboy: prove to me that u are a police man
man 1: prove to me that i am not a police man
logic boy: i see no evidence that show u are a police man; show me ur id or uniform or take me to ur office
man 1: u are irrational
I disagree with your example: here's what's really going on.

Man: I am a policeman. I like you, so I'll warn you; If you keep dealing and taking drugs, I'm gonna have to bust you and throw you in jail
Logicboy: you're a gaddem liar and freaking psycopath. Show me proof that you're a policeman
Man:I've come here plainclothed. I knew you were going to say that. Do you do drugs?
Logicboy: stop asking me stupid questions and just show me evidence.
Man: *brings out Id card and shows him*
Logicboy: you're a gaddem liar. How am I sure you're the real deal?
Man: *brings out gun and shows logicboy, also shows logicboy his walkie*
Logicboy: I still don't believe you. Anyone can own a walkie or a gun
Man: alright, you refuse this evidence, take me at my word. Let's go to the station and I'll show you my office there, and we can correct your drug addiction problem. Don't miss this oppourtunity. Or I'll have to arrest you soon. You aren't above the law.
Logicboy: you're a deluded f.ool. Get out of my house, let me enjoy my life!

Logicboy is arrested for dealing drugs the next week...or month...or year...but he's arrested anyway.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: I disagree with your example: here's what's really going on.

Man: I am a policeman. I like you, so I'll warn you; If you keep dealing and taking drugs, I'm gonna have to bust you and throw you in jail
Logicboy: you're a gaddem liar and freaking psycopath. Show me proof that you're a policeman
Man:I've come here plainclothed. I knew you were going to say that. Do you do drugs?
Man: alright, you refuse this evidence, take me at my word. Let's go to the station and I'll show you my office there, and we can correct your drug addiction problem. Don't miss this oppourtunity. Or I'll have to arrest you soon. You aren't above the law.

Logicboy is arrested for dealing drugs the next week...or month...or year...but he's arrested anyway.

Na your papa dey do drugs. ode

You just had to paint the atheist as an evil fool....lol

The policeman brough out his ID....thats evidence.

Where is the evidence for your God?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by jayriginal: 2:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Joshthefirst(m): 3:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Na your papa dey do drugs. ode

You just had to paint the atheist as an evil fool....lol

The policeman brough out his ID....thats evidence.

Where is the evidence for your God?
you cannot deny what you are. A guilty sinner before God. You know within you God is. But you enjoy thinking he doesn't exist, so that in your evil works you may persist. That is the truth.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: you cannot deny what you are. A guilty sinner before God. You know within you God is. But you enjoy thinking he doesn't exist, so that in your evil works you may persist. That is the truth.

Sorry but you're an im.becile if you think this crap is a worthy reply to my previous comment
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
mazaje:

Evidence that YHWH created the universe and not Vishnu or Allah is WHAT?. . . .When exactly and how did YHWH created the universe? plsssssssss tell me so that i can believe that you have an idea of what you are talking about. . . .

read genesis account of creation.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Hemical: 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2013
I think y'all just do this for opinion and argument sake. Deal with the topic from the very foundation. What do you mean by rationality and irrationality? Personally, I think the first step towards being rational is "disbelief" which is what I think atheists do. If you think "belief" or "believing" which is at the other end of the spectrum is rationality to you, then, you are missing the whole point. To be rational, you have to doubt, then through reason and logic, you get to examine facts and come to a conclusion. Whatever the case is, I still think "disbelief" is a more rational stand than "blind faith" or "belief" without reason. "Disbelief" is the most important step towards rationality. You can't say atheists are irrational. I think they are willing to see reasons with you if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt. Except of course, atheism is now dogmatic, which I doubt it is. The onus falls with the believer to convince the unbeliever and not the other way round. If I don't believe, and you do, I am not to prove that what you believe in is non-existent. Rather, you should prove to me it does based on something I most definitely can't refute be it empirical, experimental or unflawed logic that you are convinced of. I haven't seen any believer do this before. If you believe in it, tell me why I should believe in it. Show me a reason I can confirm, share an experience I can test under controlled conditions and cannot be logically explained with any physical phenomenon. That's the way it should be. And like I started with, rationality starts with disbelief, and it moves along that line.... I think atheists are rational in that sense. Belief is the last stage in that process and if you jump on it without first disbelieving, then, you are the irrational one.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by UyiIredia(m): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
@ jayriginal: Atheism is a belief that God doesn't exist. It is irrational to state atheism involves no belief and thereafter define and exhibit features charcteristic of a belief. To know it, to talk about it, to define it, state what it involves or doesn't involve etc.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by UyiIredia(m): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
Hemical: I think y'all just do this for opinion and argument sake. Deal with the topic from the very foundation. What do you mean by rationality and irrationality? Personally, I think the first step towards being rational is "disbelief" which is what I think atheists do. If you think "belief" or "believing" which is at the other end of the spectrum is rationality to you, then, you are missing the whole point. To be rational, you have to doubt, then through reason and logic, you get to examine facts and come to a conclusion. Whatever the case is, I still think "disbelief" is a more rational stand than "blind faith" or "belief" without reason. "Disbelief" is the most important step towards rationality. You can't say atheists are irrational. I think they are willing to see reasons with you if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt. Except of course, atheism is now dogmatic, which I doubt it is. The onus falls with the believer to convince the unbeliever and not the other way round. If I don't believe, and you do, I am not to prove that what you believe in is non-existent. Rather, you should prove to me it does based on something I most definitely can't refute be it empirical, experimental or unflawed logic that you are convinced of. I haven't seen any believer do this before. If you believe in it, tell me why I should believe in it. Show me a reason I can confirm, share an experience I can test under controlled conditions and cannot be logically explained with any physical phenomenon. That's the way it should be. And like I started with, rationality starts with disbelief, and it moves along that line.... I think atheists are rational in that sense. Belief is the last stage in that process and if you jump on it without first disbelieving, then, you are the irrational one.

@ bolded: True BUT atheist should and do prove why God is non-existent. That's the thrust of books like 'God Is Not Great' etc. In fact, when you refute arguments for God you are doing precisely what you mention, that is proving God inexistent. You wouldn't say, for example, that one cannot or should not prove that Hemical doesn't exist: the reason is simple logic allows that proof be shown for the truth or falsity of a statement, including the one of God existing.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
Hemical: I think y'all just do this for opinion and argument sake. Deal with the topic from the very foundation. What do you mean by rationality and irrationality? Personally, I think the first step towards being rational is "disbelief" which is what I think atheists do. If you think "belief" or "believing" which is at the other end of the spectrum is rationality to you, then, you are missing the whole point. To be rational, you have to doubt, then through reason and logic, you get to examine facts and come to a conclusion. Whatever the case is, I still think "disbelief" is a more rational stand than "blind faith" or "belief" without reason. "Disbelief" is the most important step towards rationality. You can't say atheists are irrational. I think they are willing to see reasons with you if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt. Except of course, atheism is now dogmatic, which I doubt it is. The onus falls with the believer to convince the unbeliever and not the other way round. If I don't believe, and you do, I am not to prove that what you believe in is non-existent. Rather, you should prove to me it does based on something I most definitely can't refute be it empirical, experimental or unflawed logic that you are convinced of. I haven't seen any believer do this before. If you believe in it, tell me why I should believe in it. Show me a reason I can confirm, share an experience I can test under controlled conditions and cannot be logically explained with any physical phenomenon. That's the way it should be. And like I started with, rationality starts with disbelief, and it moves along that line.... I think atheists are rational in that sense. Belief is the last stage in that process and if you jump on it without first disbelieving, then, you are the irrational one.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:19pm On Oct 08, 2013
Hmmmmmmm .........you see we humans are in an unenviable position. We don't even know where we came from. For example where did the first particle or 'God ' come from? If there were no God or particle , what would have occupied space ? what would nothingness have been like?.....and it goes on and on.

However , i believe Atheism and its brother agnostocism are more rational than our christianity or any other religion because they employ rational & objective parameters to make their submissions! Religion is based on 'faith'....but history has shown that reason has done more for humanity than faith . My computer was not created by faith you know......

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Hemical: 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

@ bolded: True BUT atheist should and do prove why God is non-existent. That's the thrust of books like 'God Is Not Great' etc. In fact, when you refute arguments for God you are doing precisely what you mention, that is proving God inexistent. You wouldn't say, for example, that one cannot or should not prove that Hemical doesn't exist: the reason is simple logic allows that proof be shown for the truth or falsity of a statement, including the one of God existing.
I want you to understand that "disbelieving" is a far greater set than believing and the point of disbelieving is like optimism (looking at the cup half-full) hoping you'll add a drop till I get to a level of belief. I can put down any reason for not believing. For example, I can tell you I have never experienced anything supernatural therefore, I can say God doesn't exist. You may not call that a "proof" and yes, I don't intend it as a proof but it's just my reason for not believing it. The believer on the other hand feels he has a tangible reason to believe it and should make me see it. Refuting your argument isn't always because I already hold a fixed point in disbelief. I can always refute your argument if it lacks merit or is flawed. That doesn't mean I'm maintaining a non-existent position but like an electron in a ground state, you haven't successfully imparted enough energy to excite me to a new orbital. More often that not, refutations are made not because of obstinacy but because of a non-persuasive, untenable, flawed and unreasonable sense of logic. I believe there should be a "reason" for the falsity of a statement, that's all that is required and not necessarily "proof" like you put it. But for †ђξ believer on the other hand, believing means you have enough proof. To start with, I am giving you one reason. I have never seen anything supernatural before, and I have also not heard of anything supernatural before that I can't think of physical ways it could have occurred, therefore, I don't believe in anything supernatural, which is ultimately like not believing in God. This could be anti-logical but it's all that is needed when you are in a "disbelieving" position. It's far from proof, but is sufficient in that position. A believer on the other hand, has enough evidence and proof. That's why I think the believer is in a better position to exhibit his proofs rather than mere reasons needed for the unbeliever to verify the truth of a statement
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 4:49pm On Oct 08, 2013
Oduduwaboy: Hmmmmmmm .........you see we humans are in an unenviable position. We don't even know where we came from. For example where did the first particle or 'God ' come from? If there were no God or particle , what would have occupied space ? what would nothingness have been like?.....and it goes on and on.

However , i believe Atheism and its brother agnostocism are more rational than our christianity or any other religion because they employ rational & objective parameters to make their submissions! Religion is based on 'faith'....but history has shown that reason has done more for humanity than faith . My computer was not created by faith you know......

Bravo!
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 5:08pm On Oct 08, 2013
Deep Sight: More on the "Default Position"... in response to Plaetton a while back -

https://www.nairaland.com/808965/atheism-revisiting-burden-proof/2#9684645

In this instance there is no question of arbitrariness. For within human experience, complex systems fit for specific purpose are designed by intelligence - that is the standard human experience with respect to things that humans themselves create. Thus, by creating complex systems fit for specific purpose themselves, and having to apply their intelligence to such processes, humans derive a personal experience which tells them that such complex systems fit for specific purposes require intelligence to be assembled. This is one of the very basic reasons that belief in God is a very default position of human beings - because it tallies with their own personal experience of having to apply intelligence to create complex systems for specific functionalities.

Now, when human beings have, despite their application of intelligence, never been able even in the modern age to create something as sensationally fit for purpose as a single white blood cell - not to speak of the super-computing prowess of the human brain - it then becomes a tall order to expect the very same humans to believe that such things did not have intelligent input. This is why the generality of humans believe in a superveneing and intelligent cause or creator - because it only seems commonsensical to them. . . thus if you will take an opinion poll of all humans in the world, you will find probably nine theists for every atheist. . . or something of the sort. It is thus slam on correct to state that belief in God is indeed mankind's default position - and that is not an arbitrary assessment in the least.

I will go so far as to also inform you that even a great many so called atheists also share this belief - because alot of them are not pure atheists - who totally reject any notion of God. A good number are actually what i call the "anti-religion atheist" - who rejects religion because he recognizes its absurdities - and thereby imagines himself an atheist. Such a person is simply non-religious and closer to being agnostic. I have found famed atheists even on this forum here and there hinting that they accept the notion of a creator and creation - but assert that it is beyond proof. Such are not pure atheists. They still retain the commonsensical notion of a supervening cause. The pure atheist is he who - asserts positively and adamantly that God or gods absolutely DO NOT exist - never mind that omniscience is required to assert that.

Also, the undisputed rationale of causes and effects, and the laws of motion give human beings to believe that indeed there is an ultimate cause and that such a cause is imbued with purpose and intelligence. This has been, and still remains the default belief of the vast majority of mankind up till the present day. Indeed, the opposite thought is only a recent entry into the thinking of humans, and certainly is held by only a small minority of mankind.

There is thus every reason to state that belief in God is indeed mankind's default position.

And the argument remains that any person who disputes a default position - whether or not the default position is wrong or right -  bears the burden of proof. Tell me if you dispute this principle.

Also i gave you the example of Galileo Galilei - who advanced ideas against the wrong default positions held at his time. Although the default position was wrong, would you say that Galileo did not bear the burden of proving his novel assertions?

That helps me rephrase it in another way that also makes sense - any person with a novel claim bears the burden of proving it, and this you CANNOT disagree with! - And certainly atheism is novel amongst humanity - for theism it always was from time immemorial! This alone surely closes the argument - novel claims must be proved - even if they be true and correct - such as Galileo's!

https://www.nairaland.com/808965/atheism-revisiting-burden-proof/2#9684645

As a lawyer , you are in a better position to know that one of the cardinal points of the rule of law is the idea that an accused person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Think about that for a moment.
The proof of guilt, or onus, rests on the one making the claim,and not the[b] Denier [/b]of the claim.

It would be a subversion of natural justice and common sense punish the denier [/b]as irrational for denying a claim for which the [b]claimant has produced zero evidence.

To put it this way, You the accuser is accusing or claiming that god exist.
I, on the other hand , am the accused or denier, denying the charge or claim of the existence of god.

To prove me guilty of irrationality, you first have to prove your claims beyond reasonable doubts, or at least with a preponderance of evidence.

If however, you are unable produce an iota of evidence to substantiate your claim, then you are the irrational one.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 5:21pm On Oct 08, 2013
TroGunn:

The time has really passed when smart people accept Darwin's now largely discredited notions on the Origin of Species - e.g. his so called "tree of life" and fruit flies stories, which flies against observed evidence. Science has afforded us the ability to study biosphere more and marvel at the sheer elegance of life.

Two key conclusions results: -

1) The more we peer, the more evidence of breathtaking design and intelligence we see. The possibility of random, uncoordinated/self-coordinating events leading to such complexity becomes so slim that it's practically impossible.
2) Organism remain largely unchanged over time. The supposed drivers for the evolutionary change - mutation and natural selection - just doesn't cut it. Considering we have millions of species, the no of the so-called "transitional organisms" are less than a handful - more likely just different species, evolving not.

It explains why there are many people, scientists included who disbelieve evolution. The holes in the theory are just gaping. Only a very ignorant person, lacking basic, fundamental knowledge of the universe would call life as we know it "simple". Claiming that millions or billions of years would somehow lead to this complexity is stretching it, more in the realm of conjecture. It sure requires great deal of blind faith to believe.

Hear what some biologists recently said about their doubts over Evolution: "We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged." - http://www.discovery.org/a/1558

Instead of swallowing everything you hear, even in classrooms, do examine the evidence yourself. You, sir, might very well be the ignorant one.

Of course there many people, scientists included who do not subscribe to the theory of evolution. So what?
In which planet do have your so-called smart people who discredit evolution? From your local church in Alpha Nebula?

Just google.
Here is from wiki-

An overwhelming majority of the scientific community accepts evolution as the dominant scientific theory of biological diversity.[1][2] Nearly every scientific society, representing hundreds of thousands of scientists, have issued statements rejecting intelligent design[2] and a petition supporting the teaching of evolutionary biology was endorsed by 72 US Nobel Prize winners.[3] Additionally, US courts have ruled in favor of teaching evolution in science classrooms, and against teaching creationism, in numerous cases such as Edwards v. Aguillard, Hendren v. Campbell, McLean v. Arkansas and Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

and more,

The vast majority of the scientific community and academia supports evolutionary theory as the only explanation that can fully account for observations in the fields of biology, paleontology, molecular biology, genetics, anthropology, and others.[19][20][21][22][23] One 1987 estimate found that "700 scientists ... (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) ... give credence to creation-science".[24] An expert in the evolution-creationism controversy, professor and author Brian Alters, states that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[25] A 1991 Gallup poll found that about 5% of American scientists (including those with training outside biology) identified themselves as creationists.[26][27]

Additionally, the scientific community considers intelligent design, a neo-creationist offshoot, to be unscientific,[28] pseudoscience,[29][30] or junk science.[31][32] The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that intelligent design "and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life" are not science because they cannot be tested by experiment, do not generate any predictions, and propose no new hypotheses of their own.[33]

In September 2005, 38 Nobel laureates issued a statement saying "Intelligent design is fundamentally unscientific; it cannot be tested as scientific theory because its central conclusion is based on belief in the intervention of a supernatural agent."[34] In October 2005, a coalition representing more than 70,000 Australian scientists and science teachers issued a statement saying "intelligent design is not science" and calling on "all schools not to teach Intelligent Design (ID) as science, because it fails to qualify on every count as a scientific theory".[35]

In 1986, an amicus curiae brief, signed by 72 US Nobel Prize winners, 17 state academies of science and 7 other scientific societies, asked the US Supreme Court in Edwards v. Aguillard, to reject a Louisiana state law requiring the teaching of creationism (which the brief described as embodying religious dogma).[3] This was the largest collection of Nobel Prize winners to sign anything up to that point, providing the "clearest statement by scientists in support of evolution yet produced."[23]

There are many scientific and scholarly organizations from around the world that have issued statements in support of the theory of evolution.[36][37][38][39] The American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society with more than 130,000 members and over 262 affiliated societies and academies of science including over 10 million individuals, has made several statements and issued several press releases in support of evolution.[22] The prestigious United States National Academy of Sciences, which provides science advice to the nation, has published several books supporting evolution and criticising creationism and intelligent design.[40][41]

There is a notable difference between the opinion of scientists and that of the general public in the United States. A 2009 poll by Pew Research Center found that "Nearly all scientists (97%) say humans and other living things have evolved over time – 87% say evolution is due to natural processes, such as natural selection. The dominant position among scientists – that living things have evolved due to natural processes – is shared by only about a third (32%) of the public."[42]
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by plaetton: 5:25pm On Oct 08, 2013
@Trugunn

How dare you come in here to post creationist trash from the Discovery institute , the bona fide driving force behind the creationist movement.
Do we expect anything better or scientifically meaningful from them?

And @Deepsight
Shame on you for tagging along with this unscientific Discovery institute.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by frank317: 5:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: I disagree with your example: here's what's really going on.

Now the policeman must be stupid to KNOW that his plain cloths will be make I'm be doubted, yet wear mufti. Or he didn't know he will be doubted but is caliming he knew.

I wish you addressed where the policeman is asking frank to prove he is not a policeman. Take for instance he wore mufti, wouldn't he be insane to ask frank to prove he is not a policeman? (This is actually the core of this thread)

If the policeman brings out a gun and Id, why should I doubt him? Everybody knows what a gun and id is so it will only take a stupid person not to accept that id and gun is a prove that he is a police man even if he fake. Beside I asked him to show me a proof.

I will never b arrested if I don't believe he is not a policeman.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Joshthefirst(m): 6:52pm On Oct 08, 2013
frank3.16:

Now the policeman must be stupid to KNOW that his plain cloths will be make I'm be doubted, yet wear mufti. Or he didn't know he will be doubted but is caliming he knew.

I wish you addressed where the policeman is asking frank to prove he is not a policeman. Take for instance he wore mufti, wouldn't he be insane to ask frank to prove he is not a policeman? (This is actually the core of this thread)

If the policeman brings out a gun and Id, why should I doubt him? Everybody knows what a gun and id is so it will only take a stupid person not to accept that id and gun is a prove that he is a police man even if he fake. Beside I asked him to show me a proof.

I will never b arrested if I don't believe he is not a policeman.
oga take it easy. He didn't come to arrest lb(grin). He came to warn lb. His mission AT THAT TIME was to warn lb to stop his evilways and to save him.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:21pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: oga take it easy. He didn't come to arrest lb(grin). He came to warn lb. His mission AT THAT TIME was to warn lb to stop his evilways and to save him.

So he wholly and completely failed his mission then?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Joshthefirst(m): 7:26pm On Oct 08, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

So he wholly and completely failed his mission then?
yap. The logicboy character(grin) failed him by being unbelieving.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:32pm On Oct 08, 2013
Joshthefirst: yap. The logicboy character(grin) failed him by being unbelieving.

You want to blame the failure of the mission on logicboy? hehe. Xtian brainwork.

I think it'd be safe to say the the policeman is completely omnimpotent. grin
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
plaetton: Sorry to derail for an important newsflash.

Newsflash:

lol.

grin grin grin grin. . . .These people no go kill me. . . .Demons sending sms. . . .Kai kai kai. . . .Make wuna no kill man abeg. . . .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
JMAN05:

read genesis account of creation.

So the genesis myth that christians are now running from and acknowledging that it is a myth is what you are calling evidence?. . .Pls read the creation account of how Allah created the universe or read the creation account in the Hindu verders. . .You are a joke. . .Your evidence to show that your own version of god created the universe is disjointed mythical stories writen by primitive men who thought the sun was created after the earth , eh?. . .I have always told you that men created your god as such you must always point to writings of men as evidence of your god. . .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by jayriginal: 10:51am On Oct 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ jayriginal: Atheism is a belief that God doesn't exist. It is irrational to state atheism involves no belief and thereafter define and exhibit features charcteristic of a belief. To know it, to talk about it, to define it, state what it involves or doesn't involve etc.

No, atheism is not a belief. We have argued this before. "I do not believe in God" is not the same thing as "I believe there is no God". You need to go really slow and try to grasp this.

Uyi Iredia: @ bolded: True BUT atheist should and do prove why God is non-existent. That's the thrust of books like 'God Is Not Great' etc. In fact, when you refute arguments for God you are doing precisely what you mention, that is proving God inexistent. You wouldn't say, for example, that one cannot or should not prove that Hemical doesn't exist: the reason is simple logic allows that proof be shown for the truth or falsity of a statement, including the one of God existing.

Uyi,
what is, is; and what isnt, isnt!

When you refute arguments for God, that is all you are doing; refuting arguments for God. You are not in anyway refuting the existence of God. The existence or non existence of God does not rely on any argument no matter how beautifully crafted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Come Now Let Us Reason Together / "I Don't Hate God. I Just Don't Believe He Exists." / Asiri Nla Loju Ona Sufi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.