Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. (29377 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Amaechi Invited For Road Inspection By Rivers PDP / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 11, 2013
Nkemtreasure: Habaaaaaa, cement will now become N5000 a bag like kerosene. I need to change business line. grin grin grin grin ; haaaaaaahahahahhahaaaaa

badt sharp gay. dangote is not really sincere with reducing cement price. am a dealer and I can tell you, it isn't profitable anymore. he has flooded the market and he doesn't want to reduce price as he promised. he is controlling more than 80% of the market.. demand is low.

if Nigeria adopts cement as road construction basic, I go back....
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke: Does anyone with engineering/technical background know what the real merit/ demerits of this methodology will be for nigeria besides the obvious thats already been discussed?

it has merits over asphalt. no demerits....
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by saintneo(m): 10:18am On Oct 11, 2013
Cement coy investments
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by omoredia: 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
very wrong! it will lead to increase in the price of cement no doubt!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by quality01(m): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
Good news for dangote
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Jayuba(m): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
If dem like make dem use gold dey will not still do it well and our roads will still be bad as they are now.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
I see Aliko Dangote's fingerprints all over this.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by nen4: 12:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
i will soon start cement business.......

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by manny4life(m): 12:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Welcome development, we need more cement manufacturers
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by nerodenero: 12:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
Dangote cement readily comes to mind. Enriching Dangote in no small measure.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by segzyj(m): 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke: For the first time, the need for cement based option for road construction in Nigeria instead asphalt for sur-facing received a major boost at the week-end, with experts both local and interna-tionals listing some of the advantages of cement over other material. The conference, entitled, “Exploring Cement Based Option for Sustainable Road Construction in Nigeria”, which was organised by Business Day in collab-oration with the Cement Manufacturers’ Association of Nigeria (CMAN), drew the attention of government to the universal acceptance of cement concrete road as the best option all over the world. Stakeholders from road and transpor-tation sector comprising policy makers, construction experts, politicians and ce-ment manufacturers attended the confer-ence.

In canvassing for cement based option for road construction, it was noted that 40 per cent of roads in developed countries like United States of America and West Germany are made of cement concrete, whereas 2 per cent of roads in emerging economies like India and less than 0.1 per cent in Nigeria are built with cement concrete.

Justifying reasons for the need for concrete cement as alternative material to asphalt overlay for road construction, Chairman of CMAN, Mr. Joseph Makoju, said road built with cement is between 25 per cent and 50 per cent cheaper than that constructed with asphalt.

Besides, he explained that though ce-ment concrete road is 10 per cent more ex-pensive to construct than asphalt but that the lifespan of a road built with former is longer than that of the latter.In term of maintenance, he said ce-ment concrete road becomes cheaper than asphalt as less maintenance is re-quired.

He said, “ The major cause for the collapse of our road network earlier mentioned was identified as our poor maintenance culture. In search for a cost effective solution, it was natural there-fore to search for an alternative surfacing material which when compared with as-phalt will require minimal maintenance hence our interest in cement concrete roads for Nigeria.” Managing Director/ Chief Execu-tive Officer, Lafarge WAPCO Cement, Mr. Joe Hudson, in his presentation on “The Nigerian Cement Industry”, noted that Nigerian economy has potential for growth.

And as such, he said demand for cement would continue to increase due to investment in energy supply, road, water, housing and other infrastructure projects.

According to him, Nigeria cement ca-pacity will triple in 10 years from 2010 to 2020 and that the nation will be the sec-ond highest producer of cement in Africa after Egypt, adding that by 2015, Nigeria will be an exporter to the West African re-gion, saying it has capital investment of over N1.8 trillion

He listed major challenges of cement industry to include poor energy supply, roads and rail to carry cement to the mar-ket, and inadequate skills in the sector, urging government on the need to find solutions to them.

for full article:http://nationalmirroronline.net/index.php/business/real-estate/39853.html

Dis one Na pedestrian walk way, enough of dis Sobo
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by nurudeen86: 12:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
wat about inter locking tiles i think dey are d best for southern nigeria check places wher dey av used ut dey still stay till date GOD bless naija
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by macof(m): 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
pls what city is this?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Jobig(m): 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
good idea,be quick about it,cant wait.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Lilimax(f): 12:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
--
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Lilimax(f): 12:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke:
Besides, he explained that though ce-ment concrete road is 10 per cent more ex-pensive to construct than asphalt but that the lifespan of a road built with former is longer than that of the latter.In term of maintenance, he said ce-ment concrete road becomes cheaper than asphalt as less maintenance is re-quired.
In view of the merits Cement will have over Asphalt in road construction, it is a welcome developlment;
moreso, Nigeria lacks maintenance culture.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 11, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Ignatio(m): 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
The cost of road construction will sky rocket. Cost of building houses too.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by pappykay360: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Hey bro.. Am a skate biginer ! I will need some oral orieantation from you, don't have a coach yet! Thnks..
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Patdedon(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
Rigid pavement made of concrete is more suitable for roads that are subjected to hgh compressive load. It is used in the construction of runways due to the weight of aeroplanes.

It will serve well on roads that are mostly used by heavy trucks since they need frequent maintenance if constructed with asphalt; just as we see on roads like the one that links PH to Enugu.

This type of construction will help in reducing the life cycle cost of roads but it may also affect the price of cement generally due to increase in demand. And it will be uneconomical for roads with minimal axle loads.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is what happens when non experts start to pontificate about issues that only qualified professionals can educate people on. In civil engineering terms, there is nothing like a ''Cement road", you basically have a rigid pavement(Concrete), or a flexible pavement(flexible), or a Composite pavement. There is a lot that goes into highway design and construction that is outside the realm of laymen, and the Surfacing you decide to use is a distant last. You decide to use any of the three based on the design conditions like lifespan, site conditions, economy, durability, etc. And the fact that you see 40% of the roads in the UK and us as rigid pavements do not mean the design conditions are the same. People should avoid discussing technical issues that they do not have the requisite expertise on. You don't start discussing the merits and demerits of sarbanes-oxley if you are not in the investment banking Industry, if you do, it makes you look stupid.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by vladimiros: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
Aliko don Hammer
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Cuche: 1:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
there is still tar layer on it. Roads done that way have better resistance. Thick mass concrete layer before the surface tarring.There is one I know of, it was done around 2004/2005, by Chris Ngige in his Local Government area through RCC. When they were doing the road I was like what is this. Despite the traffic on that road it still looked like it could taste 50 years without a scratch. Anytime, I'm on that road I wish all the roads in Anambra were like that. Even the tyres are Happy on that road. I hope to take and post the pictures when next I pass that route
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 1:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
okpara ugo:

I have never thought of that. but I think cement will out last asphalt. the concrete built filling stations last long. there is a mixture and technique for making it strong....

if Nigeria embraces that, I dust my cement distributors certificate....

I have never thought of that. but I think cement will out last asphalt. the concrete built filling stations last long. there is a mixture and technique for making it strong....

if Nigeria embraces that, I dust my cement distributors certificate....

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin at the bold.

Construction company don't buy cement in your 20kg standard packaging. They buy in bulk packaging directly from cement companies, transported in tankers to site.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by hod898(m): 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Not bad, not bad. But will the roads also be painted with oil paint for beauty? undecided

Just kidding grin
At least the cost of maintainance will be cheaper? And the pot-holes can easily be patched since the road was constructed with cement!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Jobig(m): 1:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
One of the major advantages of concrete
pavements is they are typically stronger and more
durable than asphalt roadways. They also can be
grooved to provide a durable skid-resistant
surface. A notable disadvantage is that it can
typically have a higher initial cost, as well as can be more time consuming to construct. This cost can
typically be offset through the long life cycle of the
pavement. Concrete pavement can be maintained
over time utilizing a series of methods known as
concrete pavement restoration which include
diamond grinding, dowel-bar retrofits, joint and crack sealing, cross-stitching, etc. Diamond
grinding is also useful in reducing noise and
restoring skid resistance in older concrete
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by kunlesehan(m): 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
this is very dangerous o!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif: This is what happens when non experts start to pontificate about issues that only qualified professionals can educate people on. In civil engineering terms, there is nothing like a ''Cement road", you basically have a rigid pavement(Concrete), or a flexible pavement(flexible), or a Composite pavement. There is a lot that goes into highway design and construction that is outside the realm of laymen, and the Surfacing you decide to use is a distant last. You decide to use any of the three based on the design conditions like lifespan, site conditions, economy, durability, etc. And the fact that you see 40% of the roads in the UK and us as rigid pavements do not mean the design conditions are the same. People should avoid discussing technical issues that they do not have the requisite expertise on. You don't start discussing the merits and demerits of sarbanes-oxley if you are not in the investment banking Industry, if you do, it makes you look stupid.

Oga...exactly what are you talking about?

You just kept rambling without an iota of sense.

If you have information, share it with us and stop this your ITK verbiage.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Omojayejaye(m): 1:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
another medium to make dangote and his pals more and more richer....so they don't know that roads built with cement are more durable all this while...it is now that cement is expensive they know it's nice....just like how it was done at the port...right
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Cuche: 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
Cuche: there is still tar layer on it. Roads done that way have better resistance. Thick mass concrete layer before the surface tarring.There is one I know of, it was done around 2004/2005, by Chris Ngige in his Local Government area through RCC. When they were doing the road I was like what is this. Despite the traffic on that road it still looked like it could taste 50 years without a scratch. Anytime, I'm on that road I wish all the roads in Anambra were like that. Even the tyres are Happy on that road. I hope to take and post the pictures when next I pass that route
The Government know the right thing to do, but cutting corner syndrome is the issue
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 1:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan:

Oga...exactly what are you talking about?

You just kept rambling without an iota of sense.

If you have information, share it with us and stop this your ITK verbiage.

If you are too dumb to understand my "rant'' , Then it will be better that you actually go back to school and study to become a Civil Engineer, If you are too dull to be admitted, that should tell you that your IQ is not high enough to poke your nose inside Civil Engineering Technicalities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Neutralize Scores Of ESN Members In Bloody Clash In Imo / Bandex: Kaduna Declares July 12 Work-Free As Buhari, El-Rufai, Ibrahim Mourn / FUTO Staff And Students Welcome Abia Returning Officer, Oti With Funfair (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.