Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. (29378 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Amaechi Invited For Road Inspection By Rivers PDP / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
Normally ...it's won't make much economic sense to use cement on roads that don't experience very heavy traffic in term of usage ...such as streets and intra-city roads.

But since Nigeria have completely jettisoned rail-transportation for our cargo haulage transportation...investing in such cement-based roads is not out of place.

Presently....the whole of the access roads inside Tin-Can Apapa is cement based because of the heavy exposure to articulated trucks laden with containers and all sort of heavy cargoes....below is a road made of cement inside Tin-Can.

Despite the heavy abuse suffered by that road in the last 8 yrs....not a crack...talk less of a small hole is on it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke:

If you had anything other than a quasi knowledge of engineering you would have answered the simple question ie Whats the merit/demerits of concrete/cement roads besides the obvious that us laymen have already gleaned.

But rather you resort to name calling and insult. that my friend is a classic display ignorance! ignorant ppl get mad and call their opponent names rather than discuss the issue, the reason is simply -- they have nothing to contribute to the debate. bye

Pls you can go to sleep now, I have given you the attention you craved. I purposefully ignored your initial post directed at me, but since you are obviously suffering from an attention complex, and because I am a charitable fellow, I have responded to your missive.... you satisfied?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

Yea, I am empty, and am also spewing rubbish, am also obviously shallow of the topic I claimed to have bogus knowledge of, and I keep claiming such bogus Knowledge with my village folk.....you satisfied?

Guy....

Am sorry if I have offended you in anyway in my comment.

Don't let's derail this thread further. We all want the same thing....and that is a better nation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by ymx(m): 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.

If properly done, I dont see dust oozing out from the road. Alot of roads in the US are made out of cement and I dont see it oozing. my only concern is friction when the roads are wet or cold. The cold is less of a concern because of the weather in Nigeria. I think it is a good development and if properly done will last longer.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by henrimoto(m): 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
malele: More money for dangote .
Hope he didn't bring those people before they made that declaration.
he is very much interested in this kind of agenda.. lolzzz.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

Yes, I read your rant but geez, CHILL, RELAX, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BLOOD PRESSURE .

You're just too damn proud of yourself, where's the humbleness?

I am relaxed, I am not prone to losing my cool over issues with faceless bots on the internet, not in a 100 years.

I am not proud, just assertive. I know what I know.

But I am not gonna take this literally, coz this is not about me.

The issue is I do not think it smart that non domain experts discuss expert knowledge that ONLY domain experts can intelligently discuss without arriving at wrong conclusions. non experts do not even ask the right questions, since there premise is not backed by any technical training or experience in the domain to which the pretend to debate.

This usually results in misinformation and the propagation of half baked ''expert'' opinions.

You cannot find me discussing the merits and demerits of surgical techniques for complex proximal tibial fractures, that
can only be discussed by the domain experts, that is the surgeons practicing in that field, you may trust their conclusions, or not, but it is silly for a Civil engineer to start debating or discussing that.

Civil Engineering Design practices and construction is not forex or stock trading, that you can learn and understand practically without a proper technical training in it in a week.

Leave the domain topic to the domain experts, then you will not have a layman arguing with the Engineer on a project just because he got some misinformation from a forum on the internet.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by jazzydee: 3:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
This method of road construction may solve the road infrastructural gap in Nigeria! Good development.was wondering when Nigeria will catch up with these worldwide trend.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by manny4life(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

I am relaxed, I am not prone to losing my cool over issues with faceless bots on the internet, not in a 100 years.

The issue is I do not think it smart that non domain experts discuss expert knowledge that ONLY domain experts can intelligently discuss without arriving at wrong conclusions. non experts do not even ask the right questions, since there premise is not backed by any technical training or experience in the domain to which the pretend to debate.

This usually results in misinformation and the propagation of half baked ''expert'' opinions.

You cannot find me discussing the merits and demerits of surgical techniques for complex proximal tibial fractures, that
can only be discussed by the domain experts, that is the surgeons practicing in that field, you may trust their conclusions, or not, but it is silly for a Civil engineer to start debating or discussing that.

Civil Engineering Design practices and construction is not forex or stock trading, that you can learn and understand practically without a proper technical training in it in a week.

Leave the domain topic to the domain experts, then you will not have a layman arguing with the Engineer on a project just because he got some misinformation from a forum on the internet.

Oya, you're relaxed right? Ok we've heard you, this is why you don't see me in topics concerning engineering. We who did not study engineering like to ask dumb questions, but there's nothing wrong in answering either. Ok... Sorry o if anyone pinched your skin, ok PLEASE explain more on the issue to the NL community, we'd love to hear it, half baked or full baked, or even expert and advanced baked, it doesn't matter. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by blaise26abj(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
ymx:

If properly done, I dont see dust oozing out from the road. Alot of roads in the US are made out of cement and I dont see it oozing. my only concern is friction when the roads are wet or cold. The cold is less of a concern because of the weather in Nigeria. I think it is a good development and if properly done will last longer.

YMX, did u go to oau?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 3:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

But I am not gonna take this literally, coz this is not about me....being a layman on the topic is not a disease...so why making it a big issue of layman vs expert

Guy....easy, you take things too hard!!!!! Nobody is fighting anyone here.

We are all entitled to our opinion.....no matter how stvpid anyone think it is.

Chill.....
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by jazzydee: 3:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan: Normally ...it's won't make much economic sense to use cement on roads that don't experience very heavy traffic in term of usage ...such as streets and intra-city roads.

But since Nigeria have completely jettisoned rail-transportation for our cargo haulage transportation...investing in such cement-based roads is not out of place.

Presently....the whole of the access roads inside Tin-Can Apapa is cement based because of the heavy exposure to articulated trucks laden with containers and all sort of heavy cargoes....below is a road made of cement inside Tin-Can.

Despite the heavy abuse suffered by that road in the last 8 yrs....not a crack...talk less of a small hole is on it.

this is nice so concrete/cement and cement roads have been built already?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
From an engineering and soil aspect. The concrete road is better than the asphalt road.

The concrete road has a life span of 40years unlike the asphalt road whose life span is 10years, so no need for immediate maintenance.

Concrete roads are not pollutants and they help save our ozone layer unlike asphalt, when melting the bitumen, it releases awful smell.

Concrete roads help to save fuel because of its low traction force, unlike asphalt roads, it has high traction/frictional force. So we lose more fuel using asphalt roads dan concrete roads. Moreso, with the high frictional force, it tends to release more carbonmonoxide to the atmosphere, thereby polluting the environment.

Concrete roads are durable during high rainfall, but asphalt roads get weak during high rainfall.

During oil spillage, the asphalt is dissolved by the organic content of the petroleum oil. But cements will not dissolve in it.

The only problem of the concrete road is that it takes time and more money. It also has very low friction during the raining season, more cars on high speed have high tendency of skidding.

We can solve the problem of low friction by making the surface alittle bit rough with some gravels, cement and tar.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by jazzydee: 3:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
^^nice very informative. so do you think this method will be good for nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by knightsamsong(m): 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
chemically, cement which is limestone caco3 is less stable dan asphalt, especially when it reacts with rainfall and excess sunshine...it dissolves away...nigerian roads which are barely maintained, cement based road will b a disaster!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by knightsamsong(m): 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
chemically, cement which is limestone caco3 is less stable dan asphalt, especially when it reacts with rainfall and excess sunshine...it dissolves away...nigerian roads which are barely maintained, cement based road will b a disaster! ....from a geologic point of view!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by atlwireles: 3:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan: Normally ...it's won't make much economic sense to use cement on roads that don't experience very heavy traffic in term of usage ...such as streets and intra-city roads.

This is an eye opener for me. 8 years no cracks, why are people using asphalt then. Makes no sense
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Abok1(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

It is simply irresponsible and absurd for you to make a point which expresses your reservations to an idea being put forward, while not providing reasons why your submission should be respected. By performing an act of autolatry and being a pessimist would do a disservice to the ideology behind your position on the said topic. Being an autohagiographer and not educating the minds of your fellow forumites, is not justifiable because by going through @eledan's submissions, there was no place where your level of intelligence was questioned and he even apologized when its not wrong for him to ask questions.

Your choice of words portrays you as an aeolist, which doesn't speak well of your professionalism and courtesy demands that you apologize for the un-needless outbursts and temper tantrums that you've been throwing on this thread.

The essence of humanity is to cohabit and help each other's deficiencies hence the hunting in packs by the early man. While its within your rights as an individual to have a different opinion, its unacceptable for you to insult the person asking questions out of curiosity

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
I saw this about a year ago in Ughelli, where SETRACO was using it on the East-West Road.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by jazzydee: 4:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
Orlando Owoh: I saw this about a year ago in Ughelli, where SETRACO was using it on the East-West Road.

wow this is nice so the method is more widespread in Nigeria than i thought.This is really good
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 4:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
majority of the roads in rivers are already been built with concrete base
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by jazzydee: 4:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
onojiwizard@gmail.com:
majority of the roads in rivers are already been built with concrete base

post pictures please.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by WarriPikin1: 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
If it is cheaper and takes less expertise to construct,then lets have it. It is a good improvement that the constant lie of "we are waiting for asphalt" we hear everyday from our governors.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
jazzydee:

post pictures please.
i cant post picture as i am not in PH now, but when i served PH in 2012, Abuloma road was built with concrete base and few other roads that i saw with my eyes, infact it was the first time i saw a road constructed with concrete base
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by nijanigga: 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nate7even: Well cement is good for compression so it handles heavy duty trucks well, but if not properly mixed and cured in our type of climate it will crack and the cracks will be quite long, also cement will creep(flatten) over time but another layer can be laid
You failed to mention that corruption will creep in through infiltration of adulterated cement. They will begin to mass produce adulterated cement, just like buildings are collapsing ,so will roads constructed with adulterated cement, better watch out, if that's the case, Nigerian roads could be very very dangerous.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Gunzilla(m): 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

Dude...you need to GTFOH !! if you dont have any meaningful contributions on the topic !! NL is not Civil Engineering Journal where we are all experts...if you have an expert opinion,then render it instead of clambering on your high horse..The fact is that as a lot of people have expressed a great deal of roads in the western world are constructed using concrete.
I personally believe that in terms of cost, ashphalt/bitumen is better for Nigeria as we have them naturally occurring in great abundance...but again we await for supreme expertise on the subject O Great Professor!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by esanland: 5:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.
Cement serve as the base, moreorless the foundation before is alphaft lay. Even if the road is completely concrete, its no problem for vehicle. Its smooth and safe.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by DerideGull(m): 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2013

Tried and failed method is now in vogue in the jungle called Nigeria. Without steel reinforcement, the roads build only with concrete will not stand the test of high temperature, humidity and stress in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by DerideGull(m): 6:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
What you see on the USA roads are not mere concrete as Nigerians tend to think. In USA, steel reinforcement is applied including chemicals that allow the concrete to withstand tensional force.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atesunate15(m): 6:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nah to start producing cement sure pass nw ooo no b limestone dem use produce am (as i was tot by my intergrated science teacher)?

Watch out for ''THE ATESUNATE C EMENT''!!!!!

8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by gnykelly(m): 6:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
i think its a good idea considering how brigdes are built first with reinforced concrete and its then covered with tar.( e.g. Oshodi-Apapa expressway bridges are more in good shape than the road itself which both has been constructed 2 decades b4 many roads built in the last 13yrs of our jovial democracy)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dolapo Osinbajo At Obafemi Awolowo's 30th Remembrance Service / Bandex: Kaduna Declares July 12 Work-Free As Buhari, El-Rufai, Ibrahim Mourn / Police Neutralize Scores Of ESN Members In Bloody Clash In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.