Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. (29379 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Amaechi Invited For Road Inspection By Rivers PDP / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif: This is what happens when non experts start to pontificate about issues that only qualified professionals can educate people on. In civil engineering terms, there is nothing like a ''Cement road", you basically have a rigid pavement(Concrete), or a flexible pavement(flexible), or a Composite pavement. There is a lot that goes into highway design and construction that is outside the realm of laymen, and the Surfacing you decide to use is a distant last. You decide to use any of the three based on the design conditions like lifespan, site conditions, economy, durability, etc. And the fact that you see 40% of the roads in the UK and us as rigid pavements do not mean the design conditions are the same. People should avoid discussing technical issues that they do not have the requisite expertise on. You don't start discussing the merits and demerits of sarbanes-oxley if you are not in the investment banking Industry, if you do, it makes you look stupid.

so why dont you educate the forum on the merit/demerits of concrete vs asphalt if you do have the requisite expertise? or are u another pretender

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Originalsly: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke:

did you read the article?I believe it said 40% of roads in the USA and germany are made of concrete/cement. i dont think car or people are slipping and falling over there.
Misleading. These guys are talking through both sides of the mouth. They first said concrete instead of asphalt OVERLAY. Overlay tells you what the surface of the road will be...which is concrete. Then they went on to say 40% of the roads in the US and Germany is made of concrete....giving the impression that these roads also have concrete overlay. Find out from anyone in the US if they have ever seen any roadway with concrete overlay....sidewalks..yes...drive ways...yes..maybe roads on private properties..just maybe...but not public roads. Why? What is more like the truth is 40% of the roads in the US is made of concrete...but have asphalt overlay. Whenever a road surface goes bad...the stripper strips off the asphalt from the concrete and a new layer is put down.Do they do that because they have excess asphalt? People need to stop swallowing what these politicians say...swallowing hook, line and sinker.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by nrdgeek: 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
Here's a real world look:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Bizibi(m): 1:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.
the avenue i reside is a cement road and it was done last 6 yrs,there is no dust at all bcuz of the way it was done
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

If you are too dumb to understand my "rant'' , Then it will be better that you actually go back to school and study to become a Civil Engineer, If you are too dull to be admitted, that should tell you that your IQ is not high enough to poke your nose inside Civil Engineering Technicalities.

Mr Expert..

This community is for information and knowledge sharing.....people have been sharing knowledge here that will cost millions in Naira to acquire in the real world....that is the spirit of NAIRALAND.

All of us may no have your so called Technical expertise in civil engineering and road constructions...nevertheless..that doesn't make us less educated.

So if you feel too big or knowledgeable in the field under discussion....you can scram off the thread....and allow those that can enlighten us do so!!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by dandollar1: 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
They've been using cement for road construction in bonnyisland.To me,they are not as durable and as fine as those made with asphalt
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Bobby4090: 1:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
Shame on us. Is this another ploy by the Government to enrich Dangote once again. Or has he bribed the policy makers to sell this idea? Nigeria has about the highest World concentration of bitumen and Asphalt in Ondo state. Why are they not devoting time and effort to tap into it. And after making cement in Nigeria about the most expensive in the World they now want to use it for road construction, leaving behind the God given blessings we have in Ondo state.

In the day of masses revolution, its people like Dangote and those policy makers in his payroll will that people will go for first. Mark my word.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by laylad(m): 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
That's a good idea...I've been waiting for this kind of suggestion, its gonna reduce accidents because asphalts easily gets portholes and with that, it causes accident....this kinda cement road construction is the best for the tyres to move on...it slips off easily without been chopped off.....great ideal
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by dandollar1: 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
stewie100: these are some American interstate concrete roads around Texas area
these ones look beautiful and smooth too.maybe they've been cutting corners with the ones they construct here.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by MahatmaGhandi: 1:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Dangote, Ibeto and other cement merchants at work.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by omanzo02: 1:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.

It doesn't get dusty over time, and don't crack like asphalt, a harsh winter and intensive heat can crack asphalt base road but cement road don't, it only sink with excessive usage over time but more reliable than asphalt.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
kennygee: I see Aliko Dangote's fingerprints all over this.

Well, he's a businessman. What do you expect?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by omanzo02: 1:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
Bobby4090: Shame on us. Is this another ploy by the Government to enrich Dangote once again. Or has he bribed the policy makers to sell this idea? Nigeria has about the highest World concentration of bitumen and Asphalt in Ondo state. Why are they not devoting time and effort to tap into it. And after making cement in Nigeria about the most expensive in the World they now want to use it for road construction, leaving behind the God given blessings we have in Ondo state.

In the day of masses revolution, its people like Dangote and those policy makers in his payroll will that people will go for first. Mark my word.

Olodo dey worry u............your medicine don finish?.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by 190theclown: 1:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
fkaz: It is a wellcome idea.

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by olutai: 2:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
Roads under construction in Shell Industrial Area Port-Harcourt are Concrete based, not Asphalt based.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 2:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan:

Mr Expert..

This community is for information and knowledge sharing.....people have been sharing knowledge here that will cost millions in Naira to acquire in the real world....that is the spirit of NAIRALAND.

All of us may no have your so called Technical expertise in civil engineering and road constructions...nevertheless..that doesn't make us less educated.

So if you feel too big or knowledgeable in the field under discussion....you can scram off the thread....and allow those that can enlighten us do so!!

If your intention was to be enlightened, you will not have answered my post with an ad hominem..........Mofo, It will Cost you Millions to Understand Civil Engineering, this is not forex trading....so, shut the f** up!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by 3ace(m): 2:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
Besides, he explained that though ce-ment concrete road is 10 per cent more ex-
pensive to construct than asphalt but that
the lifespan of a road built with former is
longer than that of the latter.
Our poor drainage system and dirty habits of blocking drainages by throwing dirts in them will destroy these roads in no time. This is the major problem militating against the durability of asphalt roads although I'm not disputing cement won't make a better choice.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by 3ace(m): 2:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
And as such, he said demand for cement would continue to increase due to
investment in energy supply, road, water,
housing and other infrastructure projects.
Chei! More money for dis boy called Dangote. I hope this won't lead to a further increase in cement price.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by everyday: 2:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is a good development if we will have good roads
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by laylad(m): 2:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
They are telling you the truth, you just keep on writing articles as if you know more than the government that brought the ideal. They said its highly durable, strong and its not that cost like that of asphalt...what gives you the assurance that they won't construct it well like the other countries that were using it You need to be patient or you could go and organise a conference meeting with the government, so with that, am gonna know that you mean the business....poosh!
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 2:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Bobby4090: Shame on us. Is this another ploy by the Government to enrich Dangote once again. Or has he bribed the policy makers to sell this idea? Nigeria has about the highest World concentration of bitumen and Asphalt in Ondo state. Why are they not devoting time and effort to tap into it. And after making cement in Nigeria about the most expensive in the World they now want to use it for road construction, leaving behind the God given blessings we have in Ondo state.

Dont we also have lime stone a major ingredient in cement in Abundance in Nigeria? both raw materials are in abundance in naija will welcome the use of any.

Am just glad that we now have a local industry that can drive such development in Nigeria today. Just 6 yrs ago the story would have been different as at then we would have been contemplating importing the cement. but toady the dynamics have changed we are all accusing Dangote of monopoly!lol , This to me is a positive development in Nigeria. I want more dangotes in Nigeria.

while criticizing dangote lets also bear in mind that the profit he makes in cement manufacturing also goes to pay the salary of folks that work in his cement factory, drivers that drive his truck, dangotes distributors in our LGA that pay taxes to our LGA, and not forgetting the Tax that is paid to FG and the states where his factories are located.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Cjay2020(m): 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
it maybe true that USA and some other european countries mke use of cement in constructing roads....but i believe this move here in Nigeria is not a honest move...as usual though,,,mayb its a mop-up or sales or profit or sumtin...bt believe me its not a pure intention to better the nigerian roads forget those their conferences,seminars, stupid research and big big grammer...all of dem na thieves...u guys wl confirm it in years to come
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by manny4life(m): 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

If your intention was to be enlightened, you will not have answered my post with an ad hominem..........Mofo, It will Cost you Millions to Understand Civil Engineering, this is not forex trading....so, shut the f** up!!

Yes, I read your rant but geez, CHILL, RELAX, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BLOOD PRESSURE .

You're just too damn proud of yourself, where's the humbleness?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

KNUCKLEHEAD

You are empty

....Stop spewing rubbish, apparently you are obviously shallow of the topic you claimed bogus knowledge of. You can keep claiming such bogus knowledge with your village folks...but not in this community.

person.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
alpontif:

If you had anything other than a quasi knowledge of engineering you would have answered the simple question ie Whats the merit/demerits of concrete/cement roads besides the obvious that us laymen have already gleaned.

But rather you resort to name calling and insult. that my friend is a classic display ignorance! ignorant ppl get mad and call their opponent names rather than discuss the issue, the reason is simply -- they have nothing to contribute to the debate. bye

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by mascot87(m): 2:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
That's a good news for me and dangote cool and a welcome development
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by alpontif(m): 3:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan:

KNUCKLEHEAD

You are empty

....Stop spewing rubbish, apparently you are obviously shallow of the topic you claimed bogus knowledge of. You can keep claiming such bogus knowledge with your village folks...but not in this community.

person.

Yea, I am empty, and am also spewing rubbish, am also obviously shallow of the topic I claimed to have bogus knowledge of, and I keep claiming such bogus Knowledge with my village folk.....you satisfied?
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by pri3stess(f): 3:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
What I keep remembering is when I was 'skating' over the concrete floor my sister was presently scrubbing. I skidded and hit my head on the floor. I went blank for two minutes.. Is there a way to prevent these on these 'cement roads' in rainy season??
So una dey skate for Naija?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Pro-Oshiomhole Governors Saved APC National Chairman / Tinubu Tells Kwara People How To Remove Saraki / Sowore Blasts Buhari Over 'IG Is Losing Weight' Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.