Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,506 members, 7,812,558 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC (25792 Views)

Companies’ Rejection Of Corps Members Against Spirit Of NYSC – Dalong / Seven Categories Of Corps Members You Will Find In Any Orientation Camp. / 89% of corpers Lack Communication skills, can't write application letters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 7:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This guy is a mo'R'on. . . . .You only gave me the synonyms of a phrase verb which doesn't dispute its main usage. Its just like saying " Take to' which means to give up a habit. The source which is the verb cannot be modified to "took to" or "taken to ". Same with this tune up as it will always remain tune up.

Stop embarassing yourself !
I'm done schooling you.

I don't engage in name calling.

You are not always right.

Just accept it.
Bye.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I'm done schooling you.

I don't engage in name calling.

You are not always right.

Just accept it.
Bye.

Hypocrite !
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
stop calling ASUU, cos nobody teaches u english in uni. The focus should be on the sec schs,if the foundation is not laid then,nothing for you.

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phil5(m): 7:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

This guy is a mo'R'on. . . . .You only gave me the synonyms of a phrase verb which doesn't dispute its main usage. Its just like saying " Take to' which means to give up a habit. The source which is the verb cannot be modified to "took to" or "taken to ". Same with this tune up as it will always remain tune up.

Stop embarassing yourself !
:embarrassing

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by obiokey2001: 7:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ask ASUU who graduated them.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SONFGOD12: 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fussbot: abi o..as if i know it will vindicate him...u can imgine dis man
are u sure u knw the meaning of "vindicated"man
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by psucc(m): 7:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
Excelboi: That's bloody..... But i think the percent is kindly over-rated.

No, its even under-rated.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by IamDavid(m): 8:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Were not doesn't mean can not.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by safedriveng: 8:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
Why are we making a big deal of this research? I think, we should be happy that things are now beginning to take shape in this country.
An average Nigerian can speak two languages, so we are intelligent. The choice of the language to make our priority is based on our needs. So why making a deal out of me not been able to speak a white man language like a white man? How many world best can speak english? How many Fobis riches man can speak english? China, Russia, Japan, Germany, USA, and Korea are not making a big deal of another language, why are we? Would USA make a research to see how effective their citizens can speak Spanish? Lailai

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by tdbanks: 8:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
ruffneck: I suggest NYSC conducts aptitude tests for prospective corp members b4 camping!lol
Please, don't be another Chinwe Obaji.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SSaemoenl(m): 8:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
If they can't communicate in English, can they show us some skills? This English language is killing us in this country. sad Am in my studio programming and editing movies with my Final cut Pro X. Amazing skill cool
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by popson1(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
I seriously believe the percentage is over-hyped. if anything, the stated percentage probably belongs to corp members of northern extraction.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by 3kay945(m): 8:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I'll do the schooling.

tune up [ toon -uhp, tyoon - ]
Main Entry: tune up
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: harmonize
Synonyms: accommodate, adapt, adjust, attune, conform,
coordinate, dial, fix, harmonize, integrate, modulate, pitch,
proportion, reconcile, regulate, set, string, tighten, tune

etc.

This is one of the reasons I come nairaland, ride on grin

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Gbenge77(m): 8:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
fuke:

Not just Facebook. This Forum also.

I am not surprised though as an employer.
And that is why they are not employable.

The other day, I asked one with 2:1 degree to write why
she wanted me to take her on.

One hour after she was still there.
She could not take off, let alone write anything tangible.

I had to have another look at the degree certificate to be sure I saw correctly.
It was a 2:1 to be sure.

We are in trouble, real wahala.
lol.isn't that amazing?What if she were to write a 25 minute SAT essay?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by jmaine: 8:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
ckkris: On what is your doubt based? This is the report of a research.

Can you furnish us with the research . . .** smh**
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by 3kay945(m): 8:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
safedriveng: Why are we making a big deal of this research? I think, we should be happy that things are now beginning to take shape in this country.
An average Nigerian can speak two languages, so we are intelligent. The choice of the language to make our priority is based on our needs. So why making a deal out of me not been able to speak a white man language like a white man? How many world best can speak english? How many Fobis riches man can speak english? China, Russia, Japan, Germany, USA, and Korea are not making a big deal of another language, why are we? Would USA make a research to see how effective their citizens can speak Spanish? Lailai

I hope you're not justifying the inability of a Graduate to communicate in English with this your persuasive essay...,,,or they should take your words to interview panel?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by brosun(m): 8:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
ckkris: Even the grammar, syntax, standard of Logic displayed in Nairaland by graduates is too embarrassing. The verb 'to be' seem to be too difficult for 95% of contributing writers, even in Newspapers and Magazines.
You mean "The verb 'to be' seems..." You seem to be having some trouble getting it right too! grin
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Tilex(m): 8:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
Mr oga...have you met 89% of corps members in the country?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by taiwokehin(m): 8:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Want to see the true picture of all this? Tell a corper to write a letter for withdrawal, then you will be shocked. For some, they disappear.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by pbling: 8:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
tru stori,even 2 spel is a problm,i blame lecturers dat giv marks ani hw,9ja i de hail ooooo
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Onyenna(m): 8:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
ckkris: On what is your doubt based? This is the report of a research.

The research is 'CRAP!'.....89% !? That's bullsh*t...
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
safedriveng: Why are we making a big deal of this research? I think, we should be happy that things are now beginning to take shape in this country.

Stop deceiving yourself the man from the 3rd world country. The official languages of the UN are English, French, Spanish, Arabic, chinese and Russian because the history of the contemporary civilization revolves around these countries. Please, don't just sit here and think your local languages can take you anywhere.

Nigeria was colonized by the British and English language became the official language of Nigeria but if you ask me, I will tell you that the french, spanish and Germans were not colonized by the Brit which made them to have their own national languages and perhaps, they were also colonial masters elsewhere too !
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by olumuyiolaoluwa: 8:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
grin
3kay945: I blame bb
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Juicysam(m): 8:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
make newspaper reading a habit, you will be suprised @yourself ...am a leaving testimony of this..too many compliments like bible pages..
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 9:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
naijacenter: Kano State Coordinator of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Mr. Sanusi Abdulrasheed, has lamented that 89 per cent of corps members in the country could neither write good application nor communicate effectively in English Language.

He stated that the majority of the corps members were more at home with the use of “broken English” as a means of communication.

Mr. Abdulrasheed made the disturbing disclosure yesterday in Kano during the passing out parade (POP ) of the present batch of corps members, where he noted that the findings were based on a nationwide research facilitated by the management of the scheme.

He told outgoing corps members: “ I don’t want you to feel insulted, but it is a statement of fact. The management of NYSC noticed one thing in you; that a bulk of you were not communicating effectively in English.

Read details: http://www.naijacenter.com/89-corps-members-communicate-english-nysc/

I have said it all before. I put it at 90% then:

https://www.nairaland.com/564866/when-nigerian-degrees-worth-name#7303775

Our education system is churning out fucktards like Theben and Scun.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
Is it not obvious enough from Nairaland? With the new craze of calling spelling errors a "Short Message" form of writing and with youths who express themselves with phrases like "I was like ehn.." , "as in ehn.." and "please please spare me..whatever..", I hardly see anything but a bleak future in both the written and spoken forms of the language.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by last23: 9:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
[color=#000099][/color] Your ability to have good command of English language goes a long way to enable you sell yourself oral-wise, but its not the only criteria to know your level of brilliancy. Some corps member oratory ability is very poor but when it comes to paper work, you will duff your cap for them. It is wise to research on their writting ability aswel before condeming them Mr. Researcher. I rest my case.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by goodgood2(m): 9:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fynestboi: whose fault?
Mine!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Polchiz(m): 9:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is absolute rubbish. What a flopy-in-hell's name is he spewing about? Do I need to remind him that a credit pass in English language is a pre-requisite for getting admitted into the university or polytechnic. There is no way our graduates could've been admitted if they could not communicate effectively in English. Secondly, every single subject apart from Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba is taught in advanced English and the exams are also written in English. How on earth could they have passed their exams and graduated?
It is glaring that our Government is looking for an excuse to say that our graduates are half-baked and unemployable. I'm very sure that 70% of our graduates speak better English than most politicians.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by chakula: 9:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
I have never been to University so that, this is a free ticket for me to speak and write English anyhow because according to this article most of the produced youth corpers are embrassment to the Nation. Lol.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Zet72(m): 9:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
LausDeo: hahahaha fussbot, stop embarassing urself on here
grin[quote wink[quote
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
Polchiz: This is absolute rubbish. What a flopy-in-hell's name is he spewing about? Do I need to remind him that a credit pass in English language is a pre-requisite for getting admitted into the university or polytechnic. There is no way our graduates could've been admitted if they could not communicate effectively in English. Secondly, every single subject apart from Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba is taught in advanced English and the exams are also written in English. How on earth could they have passed their exams and graduated?
It is glaring that our Government is looking for an excuse to say that our graduates are half-baked and unemployable. I'm very sure that 70% of our graduates speak better English than most politicians.

You sure are stuuuuuuupid.

You have not heard of expo in Nigeria?

You have not heard of people sitting exams for others for a fee or sexual favours?

You have not heard of bribing examiners?

You have not heard of invigilating staff colluding with school staff to allow exam halls be discussion centres to assist their students to pass?

And you are wondering how they passed exams and graduated?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corper Who Lost Arms In Ghastly Auto Crash To Get Automatic Job - NYSC DG / Batch B Corpers In Ondo East Dancing As They Collect Their Nysccertificate / Nma Is A Professional Association Not Regulatory Agency.. Nysc Get It Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.