Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage (24371 Views)

Nigerian Citizenship Eligibility With Regard To Elected Offices / Nigerians Running For British Parliamentary Seats / Asari Dokubo Adopts Benin Republic, Dumps Nigerian Citizenship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2008
ima1:

abey find hole enter jare, if i call my country stupid wetin come be your own, if you don't know what to say just shut the Bleep up. i have the right to say watever i like about my own country abi na only you own the country.

Now that's my kind of person!!! grin
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by deor03(m): 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2008
It's wonderful that so many people are FIGHTING about our dear country

@

ima1 and beemex please sheathe the sword. I know it just different interpretation of your undying love for Nigeria

Let leave the fight for Oyinbos to fight. The battle line will be drawn in 12 years time grin
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Tats(m): 8:23pm On Jul 03, 2008
Naijas get oyibo pali  grin
Oyibos no get our pali and no fit get am grin E hard o! If you like, live in Naija for 40 years, them no go still give you pali. There are some countries that may also have this policy and I have tried to understand the rationale behind it, but can't seem to. Anyone got clear rationales for or benefits of the policy?

I knew one oyibo who had lost some rights in his country in Europe (except his pali) because he has been living in naija for about thirty years. Yet he has never been approved for a naija pali.

As for getting visas now if you live in London, it seems to be as difficult and time consuming to apply for a visa in London as it is if you applied in Lagos or Abuja! What have we done!!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 03, 2008
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by brownbonno(m): 9:10pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Poster,

Nigeria is a nation that have her constitution that spells out how the nation is govern.It doesn't matter is the citizens are satisfied or not with the running of the affairs,the rules must be followed.Find out from the embassy the criteria for citizenship.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_3
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 03, 2008
@POSTER

d consolate did not explain it well to u.ur wife is entitle 4 it,although she has 2 apply 4 naturalisation based on marriage 2 a 9ja citizen.my friend here who is 100% 9ja was ask 2 pay 500euro 4 9ja pkali here,after paying 500euro it took them more than 6months to give 9ja pkali despite being a 9jerian,that is disgraceful.if ur wife need it so much all u have to do is go 2 9ja wit her,then do it 9ja way afterall somany ghananian there in london are using 9ja pkali,4 me and my family there 'll be no green pkali in my house.green pkali that u'll be embarrased 2 bring it out in any port of entry.dont mind some of this guys,they are just ignorant and abusive to someone they dont know or see,why ?must we be insulting or disrespectful to others to proof we love our beluved 9ja.guy's take tings easy dis site is viewed worldwide by different nationalities
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by tbanj07(m): 6:00am On Jul 04, 2008
I think the site is meant for everyone to pour out their minds, so dont hate, keep it going
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by ST3V3(m): 10:33am On Jul 04, 2008
1 thing that makes me laugh about so many nigerians living abroad is that after so many years they see them selves as whithes, u hear them refer to africa as jungle, When even as at yesterday a politician made a statement saying "black should go back home" "Cleansing" is fast becoming a reality if you look at it deep down, y was the point based system introduced for non eu migrants? of course it is aimed at cleasing the population and reducing black african/ asian migrants.

A leopard can never change its colour! im proud to be black and Nigerian.

I saw horrible things in Naija and of course life is alot better over here in terms i don't want to go into details however im here because i {1}have a right to leave my country, {2} have things to acheive here. When the time comes myself and loads of young men who know and are never ashamed of their roots will definately return 2 their motherland to give whatever they have to offer.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 11:22am On Jul 04, 2008
@Poster

Up till now, you've not appologise to everyone that you get your British Passport by virtue of Marriage.

You have to, because thats the basis of this argument.

Its a Misinformation on your own part

i copied my post #16 again

Why must Nigeria constitution be at par with UK law? Why?

Secondly, You don't become British citizen by virtue of Marriage.

Marrying a British National entitles to Permanent residency(ILR), applying for British nationality by naturalisation is a matter of choice.

It took Tai Solarin's wife over 20 years before he was given Nigerian nationality despite living in Nigeria for years.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 11:25am On Jul 04, 2008
Tats:

As for getting visas now if you live in London, it seems to be as difficult and time consuming to apply for a visa in London as it is if you applied in Lagos or Abuja! What have we done!!!

You mean getting Nigeria visa in London?

If thats what you mean, you are wrong.

I have got Nigeria visa for Jamaican friends times without number at that office. It takes just 2 working days and it is also free to Jamaicans.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Eziachi: 11:31am On Jul 04, 2008
Lets be honest, it's possible that 99% of all the Nigeria is a paradise bandwagon on this forum are residing outside the shore of Nigeria and majority of them will not hear that the immigration in their host countries are around the corner and relax, they will ran faster than Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson put together.  As many will rather die than to be returned to the paradise.  Those of them still in Nigeria will jump into any empty cargo container desperate to abandon their paradaisic Nigeria as quickly as they can. Some are even envying their friends trekking in the Libyan deserts trying to make it to Spain with a very little chance of reaching spain alive.

When Nigerians marries Americans, the British, the Germans etc and wanted their spouse's citizenship, they are doing it purely for selfish reasons, bordering on simple Economics, Security and the freedom to travel anywhere in the world without harrasment and insults. On the other hand, when Nigerian foreign spouse ever wanted a Nigerian citizenship just like our friend's wife here, they are doing it strictly out of love and show of loyalty to their husband or wife, a declaration of their honest intent that no matter how Yawaa the country of birth of their spouse is, they are proud and ready to be identified with their spouse and possibly their children.  It more of a romatic action than anything else.

They are not doing it for any sort of benefit because there isn't one to be benefitted with th green passport if not grief. And if Nigerians here and their mindless rulers and diplomats has any atom of brain tissue, this woman and her kind are the sort of new citizens they should be attracting to become their citizen with possible relax conditions.  Can you just imagine this woman speaking up positively for Nigeria among her folks?, the empact.  That sort of positive publicity is priceless, worth millions more than Nigeria RULERS Pasting the likes of CNN trying to launder Nigerian battered image, while at the same time, millions of his citizens are all over the internet trying to con everyone who is anyone of anything they can get.

When was the last time you bought something on ebay and reveal that you are buying from Nigeria or ask for it to be posted for you to Nigeria to you? All over ebay, most goods are now strictly marked- We don't post to Nigeria!!!!! No Nigerian bidders!! etc
And then this is a country that is refusing a common honest woman citizenship for any reason if not madness, chauvanistic nonsensical suicidal pride just to do like others.  If America or UK has a strigent condition visa why can't we?  and that is there noble reason, but forgeting that if those nations are to relax visa conditions to there countries, probably all Nigerians except the oil drunk politician and those that can't afford air ticket will leave within 24 hours.

In conclusion, a burglar in New Cross London England, broke into a home and took many valuables and in the process of ransacking the flat found five passports- Nigerian, British, USA, Monseratt and Afganistan. All the pasports where fake, excpet the Nigerian passport. The thief took all the passports to sell off on the black market. He managed to sell all the four fake passports, except the geniune Nigerian passport and to the surprise of the owner of the burgled house who was a Nigerian who never reported  the crime against him to the police in the first place, the burglar was brave enough to returned the passport to him in  person and laughing to his face. Threatening him with immigration if he goes to the police or even ask where the fake passports were.

Believe it or not, this is a true story, it happened in 1995 and a year later, the guy got into a fight and police came and from there he was deported to Nigeria and he came back two years later in a different name, married a Polish woman, had two sons now and got his papers through his wife's EU citizenship statu.
Myabe be that will teach you lot some reality of Nigeria and their action.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 11:32am On Jul 04, 2008
LAKANYE~:

THIS IS MY KIND OF MAN, NAILING THE TRUTH IN THE HEAD.

I remembered in 1998, when I realized my Nigerian Passport was missing, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I was not really bothered about the missing passport, but just kept wondering who in hell wants to steal a Nigerian passport, FOR WHAT?? THAT GREEN PALI GETS YOU IN TROUBLE SO MUCH THAT YOU MAY WANT TO REFUSE IT WHEN THEY START SCREENING YOU AT AN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT FOR POCESSING A NIGERIAN PASSPORT.

PLEASE TELL YOUR WIFE A BIG "CONGRATULATIONS" FOR THE REFUSALS.
FUKK NIGERIAN PASSPORT MEN. ITS NOTHING BUT A BAIT OF SUSPICION.[/b]

I dont agree with you.

In 2001, i was in Germany, with a couple of Nigerians holding British passport. I was the only one with easy passage despite having my lovely Nigerian passport.Others were well drilled even though they were holding BP, maybe because they were born in "Lagos" British.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 11:36am On Jul 04, 2008
It is Babangida's fault.

If he did not inscribe that "yeye" Dual Nationality into our constitution, these Abroadian wont be saying all these.

Sierra leoneans and Chinese can only have one Nationality.

You chose what you want.

Ask Nigeria's Harry Akande very well
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Eziachi: 12:10pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Kolawole,

You! with green passport passed German immigration freely and UK passport holders were stopped? That is the sort of thing you see in a dream after downing half carton of Gulder/Odeku.  Don't make me laugh. How many governors now in Nigeria still retained their foreign passports? How about ministers, senators, Reps etc? And why did they kept it?  If Nigeria decide today on one nationality policy,  I wonder how many dual Nigerians will be so sane and  patriotic enough to hold on to their green passport against the foreign one?

I hate hypocrites, blind faith patriots. You shall tell the truth and the truth shall set you free.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Ezi

Others experience may be different from mine.

If you have problem with that, na you know.

The said experience was 2nd November 2001 at dusseldorf International airport.

Governors and senators that travel with foreign passports are silly when they can go with Diplomatic passport.

By the way, Is Wole Soyinka,Emeka Anyaoku and Dora Akinyuli using foreign Pali to travel?

I am not a Gulder/Odeku person anyway.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by ayomifull(f): 12:52pm On Jul 04, 2008
Why is she so interested in Nigerian passport if she can obtain visa to Nigeria? Will getting a Nigerian passport change her colour or does she think she will be treated in any special way if she holds one? Will that stop her from being kidnapped by those guys if she is so unfurtunate to 'miswalk'. I beg let her relax and get Nigerian visa anytime she is travelling to her husband's country.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by sherrylo: 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2008
Eziachi! why would a governor or a senator travel with foriegn passport? even if they have dual nationalities as long as they are going out of thier country they would want them to know they are diplomats.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by 9jaGambare(f): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2008
Eziachi:

On the other hand, when Nigerian foreign spouse ever wanted a Nigerian citizenship just like our friend's wife here, they are doing it strictly out of love and show of loyalty to their husband or wife, a declaration of their honest intent that no matter how Yawaa the country of birth of their spouse is, they are proud and ready to be identified with their spouse and possibly their children. It more of a romatic action than anything else.

They are not doing it for any sort of benefit because there isn't one to be benefitted with th green passport if not grief. And if Nigerians here and their mindless rulers and diplomats has any atom of brain tissue, this woman and her kind are the sort of new citizens they should be attracting to become their citizen with possible relax conditions. Can you just imagine this woman speaking up positively for Nigeria among her folks?, the empact. That sort of positive publicity is priceless, worth millions more than Nigeria RULERS Pasting the likes of CNN trying to launder Nigerian battered image, while at the same time, millions of his citizens are all over the internet trying to con everyone who is anyone of anything they can get.

@Eziachi

I agree 100%.

@Poster

I'm so sorry for the refusal of your wife's application of citizenship, but I think if you both relocate to Nigeria, your wife will qualify the conditions of application. I hope your wife can get green passport someday.

My opinion.
I'm a Japanese. Yes, I want to have Nigerian passport, too! I love Nigeria. I know that Nigeria is not as a COUNTRY, but it's a very good place. I love my family name(Nigerian), my in-laws, my neighbors, my house in Nigeria, and so on.  But since I CAN'T have two passports by law, I need to stick with Japanese passport. (My children can have dual citizenship until they are 22 years old. So they have two passports. My husband has only green passport because he cannot pass the Japanese writing/reading examination even if he can speak japanese fluently. )
So, after more than 10 years of marriage, even though circumstances don't allow me to have Nigerian passport, I think I am a half Nigerian at heart. tongue
But sometimes I wonder, am I qualified enough to be a Nigerian?
Because I don't know how to talk "PIDGEN" grin Na wa oo!!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2008
@ Akolawole,
 I did n't want to waste my time when I have seen that majority of the people in the forum are not objective and critical in their reasoning. I asked for help how to go about solving a problem and all I get is insults from people like you. I was told that there's no provision for citizenship by marriage by our embassy and I know by law that there's provison for registration so long as you are legally married to a nigerian. Can to the forum and people started talking all sorts even without reasoning at all.
Coming to the british citizen by marriage- Akolawole- you are not informed ok. The provison is that you get the ILR after two years of marriage and get the citizenship after one year of the ILR if you are still in the marriage. Its is optional for you to apply or not but after one year of your ILR and you are still married you are entitled to british citizenship after meeeting other requirements- worthy in character and duration of absence from the country within the three years- If you want education on this let me know,
 I think I deserve appollogy from people like you who do not reason with their brains before responding. Anyway thank you so much to those who have given links on how to go about this.
For all those that were insulting instead of advsing- whatever you wish your fellow man so shall be your portion. May you never get your legal documents either for yourself or your wife and even your child so long as you are based in abroad. Those at home supporting the evil- May you reap what you sow and may God punish you any day you open your mouth to complain about anything in Nigeria in Jesus Name, Amen.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by beemex(m): 1:43pm On Jul 04, 2008
ima1, no hard feelings and i do apologise for my earlier statement it's just that i feel we should not be talking ill of our one and only country no matter what she dishes to us on a daily basis. I think we should all just think of how best to help in righting the wrongs and ill that abound in Nigeria. Sorry Sis, like i said, NO HARD FEELINGS.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2008
CHOCHORI:

@ Akolawole,
I did n't want to waste my time when I have seen that majority of the people in the forum are not objective and critical in their reasoning. I asked for help how to go about solving a problem (1) and all I get is insults from people like you. I was told that there's no provision for citizenship by marriage by our embassy and I know by law that there's provison for registration so long as you are legally married to a nigerian. Can to the forum and people started talking all sorts even without reasoning at all.
(2)
Coming to the british citizen by marriage- Akolawole- you are not informed ok
. The provison is that you get the ILR after two years of marriage and get the citizenship after one year of the ILR if you are still in the marriage. Its is optional for you to apply or not but after one year of your ILR and you are still married you are entitled to british citizenship after meeeting other requirements- worthy in character and duration of absence from the country within the three years- If you want education on this let me know,
(3) I think I deserve appollogy from people like you who do not reason with their brains before responding.

(4) May you never get your legal documents either for yourself or your wife and even your child so long as you are based in abroad. Those at home supporting the evil- May you reap what you sow and may God punish you any day you open your mouth to complain about anything in Nigeria in Jesus Name, Amen.

Where can i start?

Count yourself Lucky that this thread was not launched in Travel Thread where there are Plenty of Brains including a UK immigration officer.

4) That prayer will never be answered even if you combine Koran with Bible and Juju. Nonsense!

1) i dont think i insulted you, go back and check my posts

2) Yes, i know i am not informed and i am ready to be educated by you. With my little knowledge on UK immigration, i can conveniently upload your ILR visa application form on Niaraland if given few details. grin

3) I am on my knees sir. grin
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by princeonx: 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2008
Na wa Ohhh! I no know say some people still like this f**ked up Country (Nigeria) like this Oh or are they just pretending? Anyway!

One thing I have to say to you patriotic Nigerians is that our Country is F**ked! take it or leave it. I'm sure the reason why we're here killing ourselves with argument is because this British lady is probably WHITE cux I bet my life that if she was BLACK regardless of what part in Africa she's from, she can walk into any of our imagination office call it immigration if u like and get 3 Nigerian passport if she want. So lets stop that patriotic shit and say it the way it is! patriotic to what if I may ask? to corruption?, bad roads?, no water? no Electricity? wonder what some of you are patriotic to!

@poster: All I can tell you is that there are procedures to acquiring a citizenship of any nation. You live in England so you know the drill. If your wife love Nigeria so much, she'll have to follow the protocol and not just applying for the Nigerian citizenship simply because she love the Country! I'm sure you know some people that went through hell in England and some never made it back to Nigeria for some decades just to acquire that British citizenship! so if your wife want it so bad, she can start with visiting and living in Nigeria! I think she has to be physical present in Nigeria for about 6months every year for 3 or 5 years some shit like that! check Nigeria immigration website for more info. but if you ask me, I'll say she should forget it and just get a visa whenever she want to visit Nigeria.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by princeonx: 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2008
@CHOCHORI: what's all that swearing and bad prayer for? you must not really know Nairaland before coming here for advice! in this land you get everything including the good, the bad, and ugly so cut that swearing out abeg!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2008
@ prince_onx
God bless you . Thanks for the advise.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Pataki: 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2008
CHOCHORI:

@ Akolawole,
I did n't want to waste my time when I have seen that majority of the people in the forum are not objective and critical in their reasoning. I asked for help how to go about solving a problem and all I get is insults from people like you. I was told that there's no provision for citizenship by marriage by our embassy and I know by law that there's provison for registration so long as you are legally married to a nigerian. Can to the forum and people started talking all sorts even without reasoning at all.
Coming to the british citizen by marriage- Akolawole- you are not informed ok. The provison is that you get the ILR after two years of marriage and get the citizenship after one year of the ILR if you are still in the marriage. Its is optional for you to apply or not but after one year of your ILR and you are still married you are entitled to british citizenship after meeeting other requirements- worthy in character and duration of absence from the country within the three years- If you want education on this let me know,
I think I deserve appollogy from people like you who do not reason with their brains before responding. Anyway thank you so much to those who have given links on how to go about this.
For all those that were insulting instead of advsing- whatever you wish your fellow man so shall be your portion. May you never get your legal documents either for yourself or your wife and even your child so long as you are based in abroad. Those at home supporting the evil- May you reap what you sow and may God punish you any day you open your mouth to complain about anything in Nigeria in Jesus Name, Amen.

Why the swearing and curses? You are indeed a refined Nigerian! grin grin

Has your wife ever lived in Nigeria?

Does she have any permit whatsoever to legally reside in Nigeria?

You and your wife suddenly woke up one morning and walked to the Nigerian embassy in London to demand for Nigerian citizenship for your wife based on marriage without taking time to study the Nigerian immigration procedures O ma laya o! Did your British wife dare try such audacity with the Home Office when you were applying for a British Passport?

If you are so disgusted with the immigration procedures of the Nigerian government, kindly renounce your Nigerian citizenship, burn your Nigerian passport and never bother about Nigeria again. angry

No Nigerian citizenship by right of Marriage. SIMPLE! Live with that or forever keep whining. cheesy
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by funkybaby(f): 3:32pm On Jul 04, 2008
CHOCHORI:

@ Akolawole,

Hiss !

Rantings of a mis-informed fool !  grin grin

Pataki:

No Nigerian citizenship by right of Marriage. SIMPLE! Live with that or forever keep whining. cheesy

WORD !!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2008
@  Pataki

I don't even know what to tell you. You own your mouth so use it any how and even use it in digging your own grave alright.
I expect people to ask questions before making conclusions- Have I and my wife lived in nigeria? Yes we have been visiting and spending holidays in Nigeria for the past 7 years. Its pretty bad that you are a citizen of a country and your child is and your wife is not. I am educated and did not just walk into the embassy to ask for citizenship. You should have read the thread before opening your mouth to say rubbish. I called them to ask what are the steps- didn't go there and was told that it is not possible when I know that you can acquire Nigerian citizenship via different means i.e registration etc. So I posted this to ask for directions and not abuse from people like you ok.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Pataki: 3:52pm On Jul 04, 2008
CHOCHORI:

@ Pataki

I don't even know what to tell you. You own your mouth so use it any how and even use it in digging your own grave alright.
I expect people to ask questions before making conclusions- Have I and my wife lived in nigeria? Yes we have been visiting and spending holidays in Nigeria for the past 7 years. Its pretty bad that you are a citizen of a country and your child is and your wife is not. I am educated and did not just walk into the embassy to ask for citizenship. You should have read the thread before opening your mouth to say rubbish. I called them to ask what are the steps- didn't go there and was told that it is not possible when I know that you can acquire Nigerian citizenship via different means i.e registration etc. So I posted this to ask for directions and not abuse from people like you ok.

Dig my own grave? Mr Man wakeup. It is just 15:45pm UK time. You can't be this drunk!

I have asked you questions, are you blind that you cannot read them? I have been visiting and spending holiday in the UK for the past 100 years, does that give me a right to their citizenship, even if I am married to British National?

So if you are a citizen of UK and Nigeria as well, does that automatically confer a Nigerian citizenship on your wife?

O'boy, whether you called, you went to the embassy in person, the fact still remains that you were highly deficient in knowing what was obtainable before making a demand for citizenship for your wife.

And please spare me the baloney of wanting to make a post here to find out what steps can be taken. Your underlying tone towards starting this thread was for political reasons to malign and denigrate the Nigerian government for not behaving as the UK government towards issuing a citizenship for your wife. SIMPLE! Ok?
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by busygirl(f): 4:43pm On Jul 04, 2008
I think the poster's wife shouldn't be critised because she wants a nigerian citizenship.If she loves it,what's the big deal. .I have read few posts and i see some people have issues being a nigerian,fair enough, that's your opinion. I think there's no perfect country, it might not be so good in nigeria, but lets not forget our roots. Honestly, I thank God I was born and spent my early years there,I love our culture, the morals and values.\No matter how long i spend here, I will never be ashamed to mention to anyone about my nigerian roots.I think nigeria's bad-sides have been exagerrated! It's not that bad. . . Just be yourself and you will be respected for who you are. . .i hate wannabes
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Busybody2(f): 5:00pm On Jul 04, 2008
nigerbobo:

to all NAIJA haters please know that shit happens everywhere . . . i was watching CNN the other day and saw a story on how a paient slumped and died at the reception area  iof a hospital and she was unattended to for over an hour!!!! she was just there lying on the floor dead. and this happend in the UK!!!

abdurrazaq:

@nigerbobo. Because someone died in front of a UK hospital unattended to means all Nigerians should die because of our poor health facilities and keep quiet all in the name of protecting the image of the country. That shows how patriotic you are. cool

nigerbobo:

This is what i hate most about nairaland!  angry you say something just for some dumb ass to take it out of context!
So Sad.

You can call me a dumb-ass too for taking this outta context wink, it's water off a duck's back tongue. The incident you described did not take place in the UK. It happened at King's County Hospital, Brooklyn and has been taken up by the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Busybody2(f): 5:28pm On Jul 04, 2008
Eziachi:

@Kolawole
You! with green passport passed German immigration freely and UK passport holders were stopped? That is the sort of thing you see in a dream after downing half carton of Gulder/Odeku.  Don't make me laugh.
. . . I hate hypocrites, blind faith patriots. You shall tell the truth and the truth shall set you free.

As long as you are a UK/US or whatever passport holder/citizen and "your place of birth" still states Lagos, you can still be subjected to the same annoying and intrusive checks that a Nigerian passport holder too goes through worldwide.

Like you said, immigration officers/custom officers too know that you either got your pali by virtue of marriage or another route.

You are the one that needs to remove your rose-tinted spectacles and ease up on the akpeteshi tongue
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by iceland(m): 5:45pm On Jul 04, 2008
NIGERIA

CITIZENSHIP: Citizenship is based upon the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, dated 1989. (UKC-Commonwealth Nation)

Those born before or on the date of independence, October 1, 1960, whose parents or grandparents were born in Nigeria and who were legally residing in Nigeria at the time, are considered citizens of Nigeria.

BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Nigeria does not automatically confer citizenship.

BY DESCENT: Child, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria, regardless of the child's country of birth.

REGISTRATION: The following persons are eligible to become citizens through registration: A foreign woman who marries a citizen of Nigeria. Person who is of adult age (17), born outside Nigeria, any of whose grandparents is or was a citizen of Nigeria. A foreign child adopted by Nigerian parents.

BY NATURALIZATION: Nigerian citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Person is of full age (17), has resided in Nigeria for at least 15 years, is of good character, plans to remain in Nigeria, is familiar with Nigerian language and customs, has a viable means of support, and has renounced previous citizenship.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED. Exception: Dual citizenship is only recognized for Nigerian citizens by descent.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Nigerian citizenship is permitted by law. Contact the Embassy for details and required paperwork.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Nigerian citizenship: Registered or Naturalized citizen voluntarily acquires the citizenship of a foreign country. Naturalized citizen, before seven years of residence, sentenced to prison for three years or more. Registered or Naturalized citizen is convicted of acts of disloyalty to the Republic of Nigeria.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Consular Section 2201 M St., NW Washington, DC 20037
Embassy Telephone: 202-822-1500 Consular Telephone: 202-822-1539/40/41 Fax: 202-775-1385

It's like marriage is not included o!Sorry get her a tourist visa.That what the british gives to nigerians too.And you better get her back to Britain when her visa expires or she would be DEPORTED! grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wike’s Revelations An Indictment On Supreme Court – APC / Ikpeazu Wins At The Appeal Court, Uche Ogah Heads To Supreme Court / Forest Guards: Enugu Govt Distributes Motorcycles, Bicycles To 260 Wards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.