Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,511 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Couples Living Separately - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Couples Living Separately (932 Views)

Your Views On Couples Living Apart Pls. / Unmarried Couples Living Together Before Marriage / Unmarried Couples Living Together On Campuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couples Living Separately by Rhea(f): 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2008
Nairalanders, here's another nut to crack!

Would you cancel your planned marriage because your boyfriend/girlfriend won't relocate to your country of abode because of his/her job?
Would you marry a man/woman that won't relocate to your country of abode because of his/her job?

The Scenario
The man lives in Nigeria.
The woman lives in Canada.
Both are Nigerians.
Both are gainfully employed and restricted to relocate.
Both have been seriously dating for a while.
Both have plans of getting together but only after some time (~3yrs)

Kindly contribute objectively to this topic. Also cite real life instances where this arrangement is working/has failed.

What would YOU do?
Re: Couples Living Separately by francessby(f): 1:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
To start with one of them have the chances of quitting there jobs if they are damn serious to marry, otherwise i don't see reason why this one will be here the other over there, it is not practicable in my own dictionary
Re: Couples Living Separately by kokoye(m): 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
I'm here, you're there. Is that the way to run a romance?

It's not even easy to have a long distance relationship while ur dating, talk less of when ur married. There's no way infidelity will not creep in.

Think about this, ur wife (in another continent) needs the kinda help she can only get from a man and u cant even be there in the next one week - this is how she starts depending on another man , or you on another woman.

Also think about the kids , raised by only one parent, believe me, u dont want that.
Re: Couples Living Separately by sistawoman: 2:20pm On Jul 03, 2008
I would not be able to live across town separetely from my hubby, so i know i could do it if he lived in another country.
Re: Couples Living Separately by shylladear(f): 2:32pm On Jul 03, 2008
as for me it wont work
Re: Couples Living Separately by Sisikill: 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2008
Absence makes the heart fonder.

The less you see the more you love.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

And all the other good stuff.

Let’s be honest here, how many couples after getting married complain that their spouse is always in their face? Many people won’t admit it out loud for fear of hurting the other person’s feelings *rolleyes* but sometimes you just need your space and what better way to get that than to live in separate cities?

I’m Happy for this couple, should they decide to go the separate city route.

Godspeed!
Re: Couples Living Separately by Nautillus(m): 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2008
Its a hard sell but it can be done . .i knw a couple presently in such a situation. Although, the plan is that she will relocate to Naija in a 14 months time
Re: Couples Living Separately by kokoye(m): 2:41pm On Jul 03, 2008
Absence makes the heart fonder.

The less you see the more you love.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

And all the other good stuff.

Let’s be honest here, how many couples after getting married complain that their spouse is always in their face? Many people won’t admit it out loud for fear of hurting the other person’s feelings *rolleyes* but sometimes you just need your space and what better way to get that than to live in separate cities?

I’m Happy for this couple, should they decide to go the separate city route.

Godspeed!

are we talking space for a few days , or 1yr?? please!!!

that's a bunch of Hogwash!!
Re: Couples Living Separately by Sisikill: 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2008
kokoye:

are we talking space for a few days , or 1yr?? please!!!

that's a bunch of Hogwash!!

Now, now. . . don't be quick to dismiss it just because you won't go that route. There is no one formula for happily ever after, you know. I say let people appraoch their [/b]marriage and life as [b]they see fit.
Re: Couples Living Separately by TOH(f): 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2008
cant relocate for "seriously dating"

So many "serious daters", the girl or guy moves over to the spouse's place of residence. They fight, break up and he or she is stranded cos they dont know anyone and dont know their way around new location'

Nah son.
Re: Couples Living Separately by ribadulora(f): 4:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
hmmmm there re many things to say about this matter,,,,
it just remind me my hubby and our first meeting,,when we met we re living diffirent country also but after decided to meet face to face we re in love immedeatly and he promissed me to move here to my country for next time and just after 1,5 mounth he was here with me and got me happy like crazy,,and we re still in love like first day but just wanna let u know when u start living together many things caming diffirent for each others(especially if u have different culture),,but then u use to know each others more and easy to solve all the prob.s between urs, whatever now we re together over 2 years and planing to move another country together again and get our mix baby/babies there wink,,cuz after this time to seperate is VERY VERY VERY difficult smiley
Re: Couples Living Separately by iice(f): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2008
Not for moi! Goodluck to them
Re: Couples Living Separately by Morenisexy(f): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2008
I can't do it. .

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Marry? / The House Must Help Me Out / Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.