Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? (16673 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! / World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 05, 2008
girl22:

WE DO NOT HAVE WHITES TO THANK.
AMERICAN BLACKS LEARNED HOW TO CAN FOOD MEANING PRESERVE IT SO THEY CAN SURVIVE DROUGHTS. THEY KNEW HOW TO FARM LAND,GROW FOOD ECT. THEY KNEW HOW TO BUILD HOUSES

1. The capslock key is just above the shift key.

2. Ancient Egyptians built the pyramids over 2000 yrs ago and you are bleating about learning to build houses? Surviving droughts? growing food? grin cheesy you cannot be serious.

girl22:

WHY CANT BLACK FOREIGNERS EXCEPT THAT BLACK AMERICANS MADE IT?

Because, to be honest, they never did and still havent till tomorrow. They simply piggyback on the achievement of white America to look down on us.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by TOH(f): 12:34am On Jul 05, 2008
If you truly made it you'd know the difference between "except" and "accept"
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 05, 2008
girl22:

WE ARE NOT HAITIAN. JUST BECAUSE HATIANS ARE POOR AND BLACK AMERICANS ARE NOT DOES NOT MEAN WHITE PEOLE HAD TO HELP US.

Its not rocket science, Katrina exposed your underbelly. I was ashamed to hear "eminent" black people crying that government would have rushed to your aid faster if you were white. How come whites got out and you didnt? Where they specially airlifted to safety? No, it simply exposed the fact that the vast majority of you are mentally too lazy. Take out the whites and you'd be Haiti part 2.

girl22:

MY GRANDMOTHER HAS AN EIGHT GRADE EDUCATION AND GREW UP IN RACIST SOUTH. SHE CAN CAN FOOD TO MAKE IT LAST. DIG A WELL FOR WATER AND GROW FOOD., SHE ALSO KNOW WHAT FOOD YOU CAN GROW IN THE WINTER ECT.
SHE EVEN KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A INDOOR GARDEN.

My grandmother has a large farm not a garden, she has her own well, she knows what food grows during the harmattan . . . she never saw the 4 walls of a school and does not enjoy the social amenities mr whitey provides free for you.

girl22:

EVEN THOUGH THIS IS ILLEGAL, I KNOW OF SOME BLACK AMERICANS WHO TURNED THEIR CELL PHONE ON WHEN IT GET CUTS OFF.
THEY GOT CAUGHT SO DONT TRY IT. LOL

Is this your example of black survival? Bill Gates is busy revolutionizing how we use computers and you are talking of fraudulently using your phone without paying bills?

girl22:

MY ANCESTORS KNEW HOW TO FERTILIZED UNFERTILIZED LAND, TO PLANT CROPS.

Even cows know how to fertilize their grazing fields.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by girl22(f): 12:53am On Jul 05, 2008
Because, to be honest, they never did and still havent till tomorrow. They simply piggyback on the achievement of white America to look down on us.

THAT IS NOT TRUE. THERE WERE BLACK AMERICANS INVENTING THINGS. 
WHEN SLAVERY ENDED BLACK PEOPLE WERE FREED WITH NO MONEY,JOBS,OPPORTUNITIES OR EDUCATION. BUT THEY STILL MADE IT. SO WE DID NOT PIGGYBACK OFF WHITES. HOW COULD WE PIGGYBACK OFF WHITES WHEN MOST OF THEM WNATED NOTHING TO DO WITH BLACKS.

ANOTHER MYTH IS WHITE FREED US. SLAVERY WAS MADE ILLEGAL FROM THE CIVIL WAR BUT BLACKS WERE ECSCAPING TO FREEDOM AND HAVING SLAVE  REVOLTS AND UPRISINGS AND GETTING RID OF THEIR MASTERS.

DURING SEGRAGATION WHITES AND BLACKS WERE PREVENTED FROM INTERACTING ALOT.
SO WE EARNED IT.

THE CURRENT BLACK AMERICANS ARE LAZY BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOTTEN TOO COMFORTABLE.

I DONT LOOK DOWN ON AFRICANS. I THINK AFRICANS CAN TEACH BLACK AMERICANS ALOT OF THINGS. THERE ARE ALOT THINGS WE CAN LEARN FROM AFRICANS AND VICE-VERCA.

AFRICANS ARE GREAT BUSINESSMEN AND VERY FOCUSED ON THEIR GOALS AND SET OUT TO ACCOMPLISH THEM.
BLACK AMERICANS ARE GNERALLY UNFOCUSED AND LACK ANY PURPOSE OR GOALS.

BUT BLACK AMERICANS CAN FIGURE OUT A WAY FOR THEMSELVES. AFRICAN PEOPLE THINK THEY HAVE TO HAVE OPPORTUNITIES. WHERE AS BLACK AMERICANS LEANRED TO CREATE THEM.

SO WE CAN LEARN FROM EACH OTHER.

THE CURRENT BALCK AMERICANS ARE IN NO POSITION TOO LOOK DOWN ANYONE.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by girl22(f): 1:07am On Jul 05, 2008
Its not rocket science, Katrina exposed your underbelly. I was ashamed to hear "eminent" black people crying that government would have rushed to your aid faster if you were white. How come whites got out and you didnt? Where they specially airlifted to safety? No, it simply exposed the fact that the vast majority of you are mentally too lazy. Take out the whites and you'd be Haiti

THAT WASN'T A HURRICANE. THE HURRICANE HIT MISSISSIPPI. THE LEVEES UNEXPECTEDLY BROKE AND THE WATER POURED OUT.

GOOGLE "LEVEES HURRICANE KATRINA."

NEW ORLEANS IS MOSTLY BLACK. SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY WHY DIDN' T THE WHITES GET OUT?
AND AGAIN YOU ARE GOING BY WHAT THE MEDIA SHOW. THE MEDIA SHOWED YOU IGNORANT BLACK PEOPLE IN NEW ORLEANS AND YOU BELIVE IT. DID YOU GO DOWN THERE YOURSELF?

THE PEOPLE WILL EVEN TELL A HURRICANE DIDN'T HIT  IT WAS A BREACH IN THE LEVEES.

NO PEOPLE IN IN NEW ORLEANS SAID A HURRICANE HIT. THEY SAID THEY JUST SAW WATER RISING.

AND THAT'S COMING OUT OF THE PEOPLE IN ENW ORLEANS MOUTHS.

THAT IS WHY IT IS VERY CRUCIAL TO RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE YOU BELIEVE THEM.

HAVE YOU READ ANY BOOKS ABOUT BLACK AMERICANS OR BLACK AMERICAN ACHIEVEMENTS.
BLACKS HAVE ACHIEVED ALOT.  3000 BLACK AMERICAN INVENTIONS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK.
YOU SHOULD READ UP ON BLACK AMERICAN HISTORY.

DO YOU LEARN ABOUT AFRICA'S ACHIVEMENTS? NO. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN AFRICANS HAVEN'T CREATED ANYTHING.
AFRICA GAVE BIRTH TO CIVILIZATION.
I KNOW FOR A FACT AFRICANS WERE HIGHY ADVANCED AND CIVILIZED PEOPLE. BECAUSE I HAVE RESEARCHED AND READ UP ON AFRICANS.
THERE WERE VERY ADVANCED AFRICAN CIVILIZATIONS. DO YOU SEE THAT IN THE MEDIA.NO YOU DO NOT.
AFRICANS WERE CREATING BUILDINGS CORRESPONDING TO THE NUMBER PI LONG BEFORE THE GREEKS AND ROMANS. BUT WHO DO THEY SAY DISCOVERED PI. THE GREEKS.

Is this your example of black survival? Bill Gates is busy revolutionizing how we use computers and you are talking of fraudulently using your phone without paying bills?

THAT WAS EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE LEARNING TO DO SOMETHING TO GET WHAT THEY WANT. NOTICED I SAID (LOL)

DO YOU READ BLACK ENTERPRISE MAGAZINE BY ANY CHANCE?
IT SHOWS THE BLACK CEO'S AND BUSINESSMEN. THE BLACKS WHO ARE UPWARDLY MOBILE UNLIKE BET.
OR LISTEN TO THE MICHEAL BAISDEN SHOW WITH THE BLACK BUSINESSES OWNERS ADVERTISING THEIR BUSINESSES.

A BLACK WOMEN INVENTED AN EYE MACHINE THAT HAS ALLOWED BLIND PEOPLE TO SEE.
DID THE MEDIA PICK THIS UP?
ONE OF THE TOP NERUOSURGEONS IN THE WORLD IS A BLACK AMERICAN.
DID THE MEDIA PICK THIS UP?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by girl22(f): 1:18am On Jul 05, 2008
The nation's most affluent county with an African-American majority is Prince George's County, Maryland, with a median income of $62,467. Other affluent predominantly African-American counties include Dekalb County in Georgia, and Charles City County in Virginia. Queens County, New York is the only county with a population of 65,000 or more where African Americans have a higher median household income than European Americans.

A LTIILE EXTRA INFO
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by girl22(f): 1:41am On Jul 05, 2008
SO IF BLACK PEOPLE DIDNT GET THEMSELVES OUT THEIR POSITION AND WHITES DID IT.

EXPLAIN HOW THE WHITES DID IT.

LAST TIME I CHECKED BLACKS HAD TO FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT TO VOTE,GO TO SCHOOL, USE PUBLIC RESTROOMS,BECOME FREE FROM SLAVERY EX.HARRIET TUBMAN,NAT TURNER ECT.

EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

ONLY SOME BLACKS WERE FREED FROM SLAVERY DURING THE CIVIL WAR.  SOME WHITES STILL REFUSED TO FREE THEIR SLAVES AFTER THE CIVIL WAR. SOME WHITES STILL FORCED BLACKS TO WORK LAND.
ALOT OF BLACKS HAD TO KILL THEIR MASTERS AND HAVE UPRISINGS TO BE FREE.
ALOT OF BLACKS WENT TO WAR WITH WHITES TO BE FREE LONG BEFORE THE EMANCIPATION OF PROCLAMATION.
SO BLACKS FAUGHT TO BE FREED FROM SLAVERY.

BLACKS EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE TRIED IN A COURT OF LAW. EVEN AFTER SLAVERY ENDED IF A WHITE PERSON SAID A BLACK PERSON WAS GUILTY OF SOMETHING AND THE BLACKS SAID THEY WERE NOT GUILTY THEY WERE KILLED ON THE SPOT.
BLACKS FAUGHT FOR A RIGHT TO FREE TRIAL.

BLACKS EARNED THE RIGHT FOR INTERRACIAL DATING. BLACK PEOPLE FOUGHT FOR EVERY DAMN FREEDOM THEY HAVE.

WHITE PEOPLE WOUDLNT EVEN GIVE BLACK PEOPLE HARDLY ANY LAND TO OWN.
BLACKS HAD TO HIDE OUT AND LIVE IN THE DAMN WOODS AND SECLUDED AREAS. EVER WONDER WHY BLACKS LIVED IN SWAMPS AND WOODED AREAS DOWN SOUTH?

ANOTHER QUESTION DO YOU BELIEVE AFRICA,AMERICA,CARRIBEAN WOULD MAKE IF THE WHITES WEREN'T RUNNING IT?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Outstrip(f): 2:19am On Jul 05, 2008
The fact of the matter is that all africans are here today because of the struggle of black americans that were here before us. Can we show some respect. The only person making sense here is girl22. If we really want to be critical, lets criticize our own NIgeria. When did the english leave Nigeria and yet we still complain that the white man did this and did that. So what would you expect from black people in America. The fact is that it is worse here for blacks. I too get upset when I see another black criminal on tv, it makes me say this fool has just taken the struggle back 2 decade but the fact of the matter is that even when it comes to "justice" it is different when you are black. I admire black americans, we can learn from them.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by EXPONENT(m): 2:41am On Jul 05, 2008
WHY CANT BLACK FOREIGNERS EXCEPT THAT BLACK AMERICANS MADE IT?

WORD!

Nigerians are haters. They come from a backwards nation and they know it - thus THEY HATE prospering AA's.

and to think other AA's be playa hating on each other.

Nothing like a hating azz nigerian.

Word!

and another thing - WE GOT and HAVE upstanding leaders DOING THE RIGHT THING

IN CONGRESS
IN THE SENATE
IN THE GOVERNMENT
IN THE STATE GOVERNMENT
IN THE CHURCHS
IN THE SCHOOLS
IN EVERY ASPECT OF AMERICAN LIFE, and the WHITEMAN and the AFRICANMAN wanna hate.

Kick Rocks, we been surviving in this unpleasant place and we will continue striving.

Why do you think LINES ARE LONG in Elke Cresent?

Because they seen YT make it or Blacks make it?

DUH! undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Nobody: 3:59am On Jul 05, 2008
EXPONENT:

and another thing - WE GOT and HAVE upstanding leaders DOING THE RIGHT THING

IN CONGRESS
IN THE SENATE
IN THE GOVERNMENT
IN THE STATE GOVERNMENT
IN THE CHURCHS
IN THE SCHOOLS
IN EVERY ASPECT OF AMERICAN LIFE, and the WHITEMAN and the AFRICANMAN want to hate.

What's new? Every society has upstanding citizens in those very places you mention.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Hero(m): 5:43am On Jul 05, 2008
Why can't some of you Nigerians stick to the topic? If I wanted to talk about AA situations then I'd gone and done so on an AA site. This is a Nigerian site and thus I'm bringing up a situation in which I and all Nigerians should be concerned about. The conditions of Nigeria is disgraceful and embarrassing to the entire black world. AA don't run this nation Nigeria is run by Nigerians and its a near dump in the mid of plenty. Those of you who are saying that if AA had a nation it would be like Haiti-- obviously know not of the economic history of Liberia prior to the Natives populations taking over the nation. When the AA ran that nation it's economy and infrastructure was strong and well functioning. Though unfortunately they chose to chose to run the nation much like an apartheid system-- in keeping the natives from obtaining government positions, in which in time lead to the civil wars in which lead to the Natives taking over the government and in turn came the total collapse of the nation. Though, all history has proven, AA even then had the discipline, know-how, and drive to build a successful well structured nation for THEMSELVES. Now nearly 200 years later with great levels of education, greater numbers and great amounts of funds, an repeat effort by us will undoubtedly instantaniously produce the most wealthy, industrialized and stable nation on the African continent in less than 2 decades.

Many of you have spoken about what you see about the AA population in the news, and attempt to make comparisons with that in which I described have witnessed being printed in NIGERIAN news outlets; though one must recognized that the major news outlets here are operated by white America who has historically been structuring a society in which is geared to make us look as bad as they possibly can without making it look too blatant (it aint working out to well) while all along making themselves look like the victims. On the other hand, Nigerians have written those articles in which express how despicably faulty the Nigerian Nation is along with a large portion of its people. For what reason would Nigerians there and here in the west need to push an effort to tarnish themselves and their own people?  undecided There is no reason. See I'm not talking about reading articles of western media in which loves to take advantage of every chance they get to tarnish the black race, though articles from ther Nigerian generalist themselves, both her in the west and in Nigeria.

Why be so fast to switch the subject over to AA, and run sprinting away from discussion on the mess of your own people? It must be because you are as ashamed of the situation as I am discusted of it and you are too filled with the ever noticed Nigerian trait of ONE-UPism to come off you're febal high horse and discuss such issues in a rational manner with us. I discuss AA problematic issues on AA sites. This is a Nigerian site and so I will bring up issues in which pertain to Nigeria and Nigerians, so do not ask and or insinuate that I speak on AA issues on this here Nigerian site.  cheesy Passing the buck will not get a pass when it comes my way.  angry
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by jaquan(m): 5:51am On Jul 05, 2008
@hero
get a life and leave nigerians, their poverty and corruption alone. embarassed
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by CH3COO(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2008
Even though I agree that the topic is quite myopic and insensitive, I don't see why we also have to retort to ethnocentrism as a defense mechanism to pass across our points. It makes us no better.  As a fact, without the pioneering experience of the Black man in the US. we would be seen as peasants and hogs in America; alas, we probably wouldn't even be allowed in it.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by fidrach(m): 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2008
Our corrupt leaders are busy embezzling and looting the nation's treasury. sad
forgetting most basic needs in the country. Now, corruption is in the minds of Nigerians.
Everything in 9ja is inadequate; think of water,electricity, education,industries etc embarassed
In fact, majority of Nigerians are suffering untold hardship caused by our selfish and
greedy leaders.
Come to think of it oo, no government in the history of the world has been able
to satisfy needs of mankind.
We have to work hard and don't put trust in any leaders or government and
by so doing we will attain our objectives in life. wink
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by naijacutee(f): 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2008
Thank you, Kev-d for contributing the only pro-active and sensible post on this thread. We Nigerians are very good at defending ourselves. The truth is that corruption exists. The truth is that corruption will not budge until we start to do something about it. The truth is that if we continue to wait for those in leadership to give up their means of livelihood, and also their means of securing a future for their generations to come, in exchange for a "better Nigeria", then we are fools. Harsh words, but true. The only way to fight corruption is if we get up and do something. Which is easier - To sit in front of the tv/newspapers and "tut tut" every Nigerian official, compare them with the West, evaluate who's better and who's worse, who's done it before and who hasn't etc  or to actually get off our asses and start doing something about it? Your guess is as good as mine.

Now why are we so corrupt? Again like Kev-d mentioned earlier, it is a viscious cycle. First of all, let me just mention that not all Nigerians are corrupt, even though a lot of corrupt people happen to come from Nigeria. Corruption exists because we are used to the mentality that, when we get things without working hard for them - then we are wise. It starts from a young age - from primary school, we start to ask our friends for answers in the exam hall. When we get caught, we are sorry - not because we "copied", but because we got caught. We invent ways to be more subtle - and boast about them to our friends when our methods prove "secure". Our friends feel like they could have done better (and escaped a beating if only. . .), they copy us. We start to exhibit this attitude in other areas of our lives. Instead of joining the back of the queue at the student shops in secondary school, we look for someone we know, in front to "buy for us", simply because we do not want to "suffer like everyone else", but we want the food. And so forth. Therefore who says that only the government is to blame? If we were in governemnt, would we not do the same? Do we complain simply because we are not in the same position that they are in. Abeg jare, we are ALL to blame for corruption. And the only way to change it is to change our paradigms. Hardwork is respectable and something to be proud of. 419  is not, and the money does make a difference, yes, but the perpertrators are not to be respected - Not even so much that they start to "show the way" to other people - What nonsense!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Hero(m): 1:03pm On Jul 05, 2008
naijacutee:

Thank you, Kev-d for contributing the only pro-active and sensible post on this thread. We Nigerians are very good at defending ourselves. The truth is that corruption exists. The truth is that corruption will not budge until we start to do something about it. The truth is that if we continue to wait for those in leadership to give up their means of livelihood, and also their means of securing a future for their generations to come, in exchange for a "better Nigeria", then we are fools. Harsh words, but true. The only way to fight corruption is if we get up and do something. Which is easier - To sit in front of the tv/newspapers and "tut tut" every Nigerian official, compare them with the West, evaluate who's better and who's worse, who's done it before and who hasn't etc or to actually get off our asses and start doing something about it? Your guess is as good as mine.

Now why are we so corrupt? Again like Kev-d mentioned earlier, it is a viscious cycle. First of all, let me just mention that not all Nigerians are corrupt, even though a lot of corrupt people happen to come from Nigeria. Corruption exists because we are used to the mentality that, when we get things without working hard for them - then we are wise. It starts from a young age - from primary school, we start to ask our friends for answers in the exam hall. When we get caught, we are sorry - not because we "copied", but because we got caught. We invent ways to be more subtle - and boast about them to our friends when our methods prove "secure". Our friends feel like they could have done better (and escaped a beating if only. . .), they copy us. We start to exhibit this attitude in other areas of our lives. Instead of joining the back of the queue at the student shops in secondary school, we look for someone we know, in front to "buy for us", simply because we do not want to "suffer like everyone else", but we want the food. And so forth. Therefore who says that only the government is to blame? If we were in governemnt, would we not do the same? Do we complain simply because we are not in the same position that they are in. Abeg jare, we are ALL to blame for corruption. And the only way to change it is to change our paradigms. Hardwork is respectable and something to be proud of. 419 is not, and the money does make a difference, yes, but the perpertrators are not to be respected - Not even so much that they start to "show the way" to other people - What nonsense!

Very well said.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by EXPONENT(m): 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2008
I think the real question is,

Why are Nigerians so Impotent?

Why do Nigerians allow their corrupt governmental officials to get away with Corruption?

I mean, its not like they are being brain-washed with gizmo's and gadgets.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by emmydee(m): 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2008
Please don't change the topic.

@fidrach.:
The issue is not that govt should provide everything. For instance, am not expecting govt to train my children in school. But I cannot build roads, I cannot provide Electricity, I cannot form an effective honest police force, I cannot form a strong, efficient and sincere legal system, I cannot form a good customs and immigration force. I don't have a license to build a private, working and world class airport. I cannot make the prices of petroleum products cheap, neither can any individual or a group of individual achieve any of these in Nigeria without the govt sincerely in support of it. All these and more are the exclusive duties of the govt, not individuals.It is when these infrastructure are in place that you can now expect individuals to play their own parts. There is nothing hunger cannot cause. If you have been starved for a long time, when u finally see the food, you will eat, eat, eat and stuff your bag with food unless someone puts a check on you and implement the penalty for over-eating. So u dont expect an individual in Nigeria to stop unpatriotic pratices while the leaders, keepers of the law are busy stealing govt fund. Cant you guys get the issue right?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by EXPONENT(m): 2:14pm On Jul 05, 2008
The issue is not that govt should provide everything. For instance, am not expecting govt to train my children in school. . Cant you guys get the issue right?

NO We can't get the ISSUES right!

It is in your GOVERNMENTS best interest to have HIGHLY EDUCATED people within its borders to allow your COUNTRY to compete at a GLOBAL LEVEL.

if your government refuses to educate its people it is because YOUR GOVERNMENT wants its people DUMB!!!

Why?

Because DUMB people are easily corrupted and cannot THINK out the box.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by naijacutee(f): 3:02pm On Jul 05, 2008
emmydee:

Please don't change the topic.

@fidrach.:
. For instance, am not expecting govt to train my children in school. But I cannot build roads, I cannot provide Electricity, I cannot form an effective honest police force, I cannot form a strong, efficient and sincere legal system, I cannot form a good customs and immigration force. I don't have a license to build a private, working and world class airport. I cannot make the prices of petroleum products cheap, neither can any individual or a group of individual achieve any of these in Nigeria without the govt sincerely in support of it. All these and more are the exclusive duties of the govt, not individuals.
You are right. These are the duties of the government. They have their parts to play, and so do we. We cannot re-vamp the police force but you know what? We can be honest in our own little jobs whatever we do - teaching, buying/selling or even policing. We cannot form strong, efficient legal systems but if someone offers to "dash" us money to do something that's wrong, we can refuse. We cannot form good customs and immigration forces but if we are using the "corrupt" customs force for our business, we can choose to import genuine medicine and authentic goods. We cannot build private airports but if we find ourselves eating something in the "corrupt" airports, we can put our litter in the bins. If there are no bins, we can hold on to our litter until we find one, We can refuse to give bribes to "corrupt" officials at all cost. We cannot reduce the cost of petroleum but when filling our cars at the petrol station, we can refrain from offering the attendants a bribe to fill our tanks for free.

emmydee:
It is when these infrastructure are in place that you can now expect individuals to play their own parts.

But what happens when the infrastructure isn't in place? Do we play along and wait for a Messiah in the form of a leader to save us? Even after 30+ years of waiting? Wouldn't it make more sense to start implementing the change we so often dream about in our own lives?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by emmydee(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2008
@naijacutee

You have completely lost touch with reality. No offense meant plz. Where are u? You talk like you don't even live in this society, or if you do, you don't feel it!
Have you ever been hungry in your life? Have gone hungry for a day? How did u feel plz. Have ever been financially cheated? Was it painful at all. How would you feel if your elder bros or sis uses your school fees to buy drinks for his/her party? Every infrastructure here has completely collapsed, most people are not sure of their next salary. Everyone is so unsure about tomorrow, the govt comes up every other day with harsh economic policies and nothing to cushion the effects, why would someone in such delima reason well. These people are reminded daily how billions kept in a fellow country man's care is wasted, stolen and nothing's done to the fellow, then you want me at the lower cadre, with all the hard times to think well about public care? that should be a joke. Change should practically start from the TOP. Q.E.D.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Hero(m): 4:17pm On Jul 05, 2008
EXPONENT:

NO We can't get the ISSUES right!

It is in your GOVERNMENTS best interest to have HIGHLY EDUCATED people within its borders to allow your COUNTRY to compete at a GLOBAL LEVEL.

if your government refuses to educate its people it is because YOUR GOVERNMENT wants its people DUMB!!!

Why?

Because DUMB people are easily corrupted and cannot THINK out the box.

Well said.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by naijacutee(f): 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2008
emmydee:

@naijacutee

You have completely lost touch with reality. No offense meant plz. Where are u? You talk like you don't even live in this society, or if you do, you don't feel it!
Have you ever been hungry in your life? Have gone hungry for a day? How did u feel plz. Have ever been financially cheated? Was it painful at all. How would you feel if your elder bros or sis uses your school fees to buy drinks for his/her party? Every infrastructure here has completely collapsed, most people are not sure of their next salary. Everyone is so unsure about tomorrow, the govt comes up every other day with harsh economic policies and nothing to cushion the effects, why would someone in such delima reason well. These people are reminded daily how billions kept in a fellow country man's care is wasted, stolen and nothing's done to the fellow, then you want me at the lower cadre, with all the hard times to think well about public care? that should be a joke. Change should practically start from the TOP. Q.E.D.

My brother, reality is knowing that knowing that between action and reaction, there exists the power to choose what your reaction will be. One of the reasons for things degrading to this state is that we generally tend to follow what everyone else is doing - for one reason or the other. What stops you from listening to your own conscience and refusing to do what everyone else is doing, simply because it's wrong? What?. In response to your question, I was born and bred in Nigeria, where I lived for 17 years. Yes, I have experienced hunger. Yes, I have experienced peer pressure, Yes I have experienced temptation. Sometimes I have given in, most of the time I have tried not to. However, I will never be content with accepting what I see around me as the ideal way to live because it simply is not. I will make an effort to live my life in the way that I perceive to be right, not the way that others are living. That is reality.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Ibime(m): 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2008
HAHAHAHAHA . . . . . I just saw this . . . . . . . davidlyan please don't kill me with laffta.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Ibime(m): 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2008
whoa . . . . whoa . . . . whoa . . . . .lets not drag ourselves into a slanging match with our AA brothers or our Haitian brothers . . . . . . we are not gentically any different from them . . . .girly22 is saying that Haitians are stupid and they don't know how to do this and that . . . . Haitians are drawn from the same tribes as African Americans so no one is genetically inferior or superior to anyone . . . . girly22, David is just pulling your leg when he talks about African Americans . . .he is only doing it cos Hero riled him into it. . . . . we always talk about Carribeans, African Americas in a bad way. . . . but deep down, we know that they came from us, so it makes no sense to deride ourselves. . . . .we just love pulling legs . . . . David knows a lot of them are originally Ibo, Efik etc. We Ijaws sold all of them to the white man. Condition na im make crayfish bend. . . . . .but crayfish is still crayfish.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by Ibime(m): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2008
@ Hero,

Nigga how dare you refer to us as Natives?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by FemiATL: 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2008
I think Hero and girl22 have made sense here. Hero and some others were focused enough to steer the response back to the original thread. Thanks!

I thought the thread was about Nigeria being corrupt and not the issues of Some Black Americans or African American. Frankly Black Americans or African American have tried very hard to survive the life in the US but NIGERIA AND SOME OF ITS PEOPLE HAVE IT ALL TWISTED SO BADLY THAT IT SHOWS ON ALMOST EVERYTHING WE DO-----------both home and abroad, i see it all the time.

We have a lot to do and the first thing on the the agenda is to ask for Divine intervention, it will take a miracle to sort Nigeria out.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by onyinye2(f): 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2008
oka Hero you make Nigeria sound as if it is the one of the worst countries. i understand your frustration but America aint all that great either. the one thing they got over Nigeria is privacy. if you hear what america really does you would change some of your opinions.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by emmydee(m): 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2008
@naijacutee

am not holding brief for those who behave in stupid ways. but what am saying is that, there a lot of lack in the lives of many Nigerians here. And some of these lacks are primary things of life that one should have by default. So, most times peoples behaviour is informed by these circumstances both the doer and even those who are supposed to police them. A security man at the airport here may just be looking at someone drop a can on the ground without (security) doing anything. Reason, could be that he's not motivated due to non payment of his salary and this (unpaid salary) situation could trigger some other problems for this security personnel. But find out why his salary has not been paid. Someone somewhere may have put 3 months salary for the entire ministry into a fixed deposit account.Just an example.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by ziga: 9:43pm On Jul 05, 2008
[/quote]You are right. These are the duties of the government. They have their parts to play, and so do we. We cannot re-vamp the police force but you know what? We can be honest in our own little jobs whatever we do - teaching, buying/selling or even policing. We cannot form strong, efficient legal systems but if someone offers to "dash" us money to do something that's wrong, we can refuse. We cannot form good customs and immigration forces but if we are using the "corrupt" customs force for our business, we can choose to import genuine medicine and authentic goods. We cannot build private airports but if we find ourselves eating something in the "corrupt" airports, we can put our litter in the bins. If there are no bins, we can hold on to our litter until we find one, We can refuse to give bribes to "corrupt" officials at all cost. We cannot reduce the cost of petroleum but when filling our cars at the petrol station, we can refrain from offering the attendants a bribe to fill our tanks for free.
[quote]

I am 110% behind you. The truth is whenever things go wrong there is always somebody else to blame for it, and in this case it is justified. But that does not excuse some of the bad behaviour by lots of Nigerian people.

The problem with Naija is the people and that includes every corrupt officer and also every person who claims Naija.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by joshjosh(m): 1:11am On Jul 06, 2008
naijacutee:

My brother, reality is knowing that knowing that between action and reaction, there exists the power to choose what your reaction will be. One of the reasons for things degrading to this state is that we generally tend to follow what everyone else is doing - for one reason or the other. What stops you from listening to your own conscience and refusing to do what everyone else is doing, simply because it's wrong? What?. In response to your question, I was born and bred in Nigeria, where I lived for 17 years. Yes, I have experienced hunger. Yes, I have experienced peer pressure, Yes I have experienced temptation. Sometimes I have given in, most of the time I have tried not to. However, I will never be content with accepting what I see around me as the ideal way to live because it simply is not. I will make an effort to live my life in the way that I perceive to be right, not the way that others are living. That is reality.

@ naijacutee. don't you just love nigerians and their excusing every theiving and abominations going on there in the name of accepting reality. it is sad to say but you get the feelings that nigerians deserve the moroons they get as govt because majority of them are waiting for their turn to do worse than the evil bastards having access to power and money now in nigeria.

you don't need to be born in naija to know your right from wrong as some people are insinuating. majority of us were born there and saw the corruption and ugly evil in naija. you dont need to accept it as a way of life. it takes very few people to say no for the society to be better
Re: Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? by lucabrasi(m): 2:33am On Jul 06, 2008
The fact of the matter is that all africans are here today because of the struggle of black americans that were here before us. Can we show some respect. The only person making sense here is girl22. If we really want to be critical, lets criticize our own NIgeria. When did the english leave Nigeria and yet we still complain that the white man did this and did that. So what would you expect from black people in America. The fact is that it is worse here for blacks. I too get upset when I see another black criminal on tv, it makes me say this fool has just taken the struggle back 2 decade but the fact of the matter is that even when it comes to "justice" it is different when you are black. I admire black americans, we can learn from them.

@
outstrip
wrong!africans are here because they have always been traders and travellers,there are ibo men and women in countries where an african american has never heard of trading and making millions,usa is just one of these places africans are,as for showing respect the average african will show respect to aa deserving of it like martin luther king,jesse jackson e.t.c you dont expect me to respect the average crack head just cause he happens to be the descendant of the participant of the 1 million man march,we know the problems in nigeria and africans are trying their best to change the status quo,if you read what davidlan s been saying its about the average african american having opportunities and not utilising it while the average african will come without papers,money,and fight hard and get educated,make money and even send enough back home

i think both girl22 and davidlan have made the most sense from what i v read on here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

Ijebu Girls Are The Best Wife Material / Nigeria Traditional Marriage, The Urhobo Way / Lost In Translation: English And Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.