Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,166 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners (13046 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / Mark Begs China To Release Nigerian Prisoners / Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Firefire(m): 4:31am On Oct 16, 2013
Hundreds of Nigerian criminals will be sent home to serve out prison sentences under a deal set to be struck by ministers within weeks.

Talks are continuing into reaching a compulsory prisoner transfer agreement, which could see more than half of the 534 criminals from Nigeria currently in UK jails repatriated.

UK Prisons Minister, Jeremy Wright, told MailOnline how ‘more foreign prisoners must serve their sentences in their own countries.’

Ministers have been ordered to step up efforts to end the scandal of more than one in eight prisoners being from overseas.

British Prime Minister, David Cameron vowed to end the practice of the British taxpayer picking up the bill for criminals with no business in the UK.

The Prime Minister said in 2010 that he would ‘personally intervene’ to send more foreign criminals home.

Britain has even made clear it would pay to build new prisons in countries like Nigeria to speed up the process of sending foreign criminals home. Up to £1m has been promised to upgrade Nigerian jails, including a new wing at Kirikiri Prison in Lagos.

But to date little progress has been made. When the coalition was formed there were 11,135 foreign prisoners in UK jails, and this figure has fallen by just three per cent since to 10,786.

Each felon costs an average of around £40,000 a year to keep inside.

Last week it was announced that notorious Liberian warlord Charles Taylor is to serve his 50-year sentence for war crimes in the UK.

A prisoner-transfer agreement was struck with Albania earlier this year to ‘free up space in prisons here and reduce the cost to the British taxpayer’.

It was the first major bilateral prisoner transfer agreement with a country outside the European Union.

There were around 250 Albanians in UK jails in June this year.

But securing an agreement with Nigeria would be seen as a much more significant breakthrough.

Latest figures show there were 534 Nigerian nationals in British jails, 485 men and 49 women.

Nigerians account for one in 20 of all foreign prisoners, putting the country fifth in the league table of nations whose citizens have been jailed in the UK.

Justice Minister Mr. Wright said, “I am clear that more foreign prisoners must serve their sentences in their own countries.

“That is why we are currently working with the Nigerian Government on a compulsory prisoner transfer agreement to increase the number of prisoners who are transferred.

“Legislation allowing Nigeria to enter such an arrangement was passed earlier this year by the Nigerian Parliament. We are now working with them on the text of a final agreement.”

Overflowing jails abroad have made it increasingly difficult to deport prisoners to their own country.

It is argued that by paying for building new jails or making existing ones more ‘comfortable’ so they approach British standards, will be repatriated.

Deal: David Cameron, who promised to help Nigeria improves its jails, hopes to strike a deal with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan

Deal: David Cameron, who promised to help Nigeria improves its jails, hopes to strike a deal with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan

In April Mr. Cameron said, “When people are sent to prison in the UK we should do everything we can to make sure that if they’re foreign nationals, they are sent back to their country to serve their sentence in a foreign prison.

“And I’m taking action in Government to say look we have strong relationships with all of the countries where these people come from.

“Many are coming from Jamaica, many from Nigeria, many from other countries in Asia.

“We should be using all of the influence we have to sign prisoner transfer agreements with those countries. Even if necessary frankly helping them to build prisons in their own country so we can send the prisoners home.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/uk-to-repatriate-267-nigerian-prisoners/
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by JECBOSS: 4:39am On Oct 16, 2013
I wouldn't know if this is a welcome development but only TIME will tell. Are Nigerian prisons better off? Will James Ibori be among them? I rest my case!

3 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by donsmall94(m): 5:24am On Oct 16, 2013
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Omen100(m): 6:11am On Oct 16, 2013
That's good, so we will have kirikiri British Branch, Lagos. undecided

1 Like

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Vado(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2013
Uk is cleaning up like damn. Repartrating, deporting, and tightening immigration laws. They are bent on restricting and sending negros out by any mean necessary sha. Wonder if they've done same to american convicts in their jails in recent time.

Whatevz!

7 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Kanwulia: 8:15am On Oct 16, 2013
I hope my DARRRLING Ibori will be among o? wink

4 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Kanwulia: I hope my DARRRLING Ibori will be among o? wink
LOL, I doubt that.
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Memyselfu2009(m): 10:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
E better make i dey London jail then make i dey nigeria jail or prison

1 Like

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Jglad(f): 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
Memyselfu2009: E better make i dey London jail then make i dey nigeria jail or prison
be careful wat u wish 4 o... Jail na jail whether nigeria or abroad

4 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Sermwell(m): 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dis may not really be a gud idea cuz some of dis criminals may find their way out of prison wen dey get 2 nigeria! Eg onanefe ibori!
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by lonelydora: 10:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
Good for them
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by alaoeri: 10:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
They are much more welcome back afterall there's no place like home. cheesy grin grin

3 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by thrugemaster(m): 10:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
nah demotion be that o...... From eating piza in u.k, to soaking garri in kirikiri....... Constant light to no light..... Sha

2 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by sweetpoison(m): 10:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hehehehhehe ex boyfrends,ex girfriends,ex uncles,ex anties,ex priests,ex sugar dada and mama....in search of green pasture has found their way back to nairaland in cuffs

1 Like

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Kanwulia: 10:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
Billyonaire: LOL, I doubt that.

Argggggggggggggggggggggh!
You missed the whole 'charade'!
Ibori is one of them. . . hence the ADDITION of 266 other 'favored' robbers buried with our lord Jesus Christ Ibori. . .TO MAKE IT LOOK LEGIT!
You should understand NIGERIAN politics by now. LEARN TO LOOK BEYOND THE SMOKESCREEN. . .AS WITH EVERYTHING NIGERIAN!!! wink

THE BRITISH COURTS are just an extension of the EFCC. . . .It would always dance to the tune of the most powerful commander WITH THE HIGHEST PRICE TAG!

Poor you! grin

I hope you spend more of your precious time offline by using the remaining brain cells NL has not killed from reading and responding to JUNK POSTS. . . . .to pay VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY CLOSE attention to Nigerian politics like I do. . . with the right INNER CONNECTIONS of course! wink

LET ME EDUCATE YOU. . . IT WAS ONE OF THE CONDITIONS GIVEN TO JONATHAN BY THE ATIKU CAMP! kiss

Thank me later. . . . wink

3 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Lexusgs430: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
Another 267 Nigerian prisoners will fill that space in no time @ all !!!!!
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Tpave(m): 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
About N10,000,000 for one fellow in a year. Britain here i come sharperly. ;DAbout N10,000,000 for one fellow in a year. Britain here i come sharperly.
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by PastorOluT(m): 10:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
Will they continue their prison terms here? If yes then this is hell for them
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Sllowppoisoon: 10:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Memyselfu2009: E better make i dey London jail then make i dey nigeria jail or prison
Amen
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by BE811APP: 10:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Too Bad 4 dem...
Sometym back UK said dey will build a Prison in 9ja to transfer dem as our Prisons State is nthng to write home abut...?
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Tpave(m): 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Tb Joshua hmmmm
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Adekar(m): 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
meaning that ibori go do in next baiday for naija.na dem sabi
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Chanchit: 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
E don beezzle for them be that o. Their life will never remain the same.
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
Those shameless idiots should be dropped in the ocean and not brought back!

2 Likes

Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by Tekzyflex(m): 10:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
Jglad:
be careful wat u wish 4 o... Jail na jail whether nigeria or abroad

Nah lie ooo! Jail is not jail ooo...
Re: UK To Repatriate 267 Nigerian Prisoners by royale442(m): 10:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
Akiika: I'm sure some of those prisoners will prefer to be in London jail where there are 3 square meals, electricity, water e.t.c than to be free in Nigeria where the above mentioned are a luxury. I'm sorry for them, double wahala for their dead body.
UK Gov't are so funny, i bet more than half of those criminals will be set free once they have money to settle the Nigerian prison system. Na just to switch their names with some existing prisoner in the jail already.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sallah Forces Reps To Postpone Resumption / INEC To Conduct Outstanding Rivers Rerun In 2017 / 'You Are The Cause Of APC Crises In Rivers' - Wike To Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.