Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members (14861 Views)

Dasuki, 4 Others Granted Bail / Joy Ogwu Assumes UN Security Council Presidency Today / Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by royale442(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
stevnwigw1: Nigeria is dividing next year , you are here talking about permanent seat.
smh continously for some people.

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
this isnt the first time Nigeria would get that position so what the heck?

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Chillypelly(m): 8:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
theshadyexpress:
why do u guys like depriving this man of the fruit of his labour,where you guys blind when he was convincing AU and UN leaders to endorse Nigerias membership,pls let's be objective for once.
That's normal, it has little or no effect as concerns this present case. Anyways Team GEJ#
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Pattey(m): 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
Does Nigeria know the usefulness of a UN Security council seat?

Can/will Nigeria EVER have a mind of its own to vote against American, British, French interests even when such interests hurt Nigeria?
I sincerely dont see the usefulness of this appointment until we've actually got the balls to speak up and be counted without fear. . .
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by theshadyexpress(m): 8:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
Pattey: Does Nigeria know the usefulness of a UN Security council seat?

Can/will Nigeria EVER have a mind of its own to vote against American, British, French interests even when such interests hurt Nigeria?
I sincerely dont see the usefulness of this appointment until we've actually got the balls to speak up and be counted without fear. . .
u speak in ignorance, you have no idea how international politics is played.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Gbaragbara: 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Adamskuty: wonderful,superb grin strange how ghana isn't even considered for roles like this
do you have pieces of rags stuffed in that thing you call head at all? membership of the UN security council is turn by turn. as the report said, countries like togo have just finished their term on the council and have to make way for others to come. nigeria will finish its own term and other African countries will take their turn.

Yes, Ghana had served on the UN security council many times before and will serve again in the future, God willing, so stop exhibiting your stvpidity on a public forum. I wonder of all the countries in the world/ africa it was only Ghana you mentioned.

chei, what is it with some MUMUs and Ghana sef? I tire ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by docadams: 8:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
theshadyexpress:
guy just shut up and talk sensibly
My friend, he is making sense. Any serious student of international politics will know that being elected as a non-permanent member of the security council is mere glorification.
Be informed that previous milestone achieved by Nigeria at the UN makes this pale into insignificance.

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Croix(m): 8:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
Up GEJ!!!
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Otono2(m): 8:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: ok, can you please explain how he is involved in this I'm not a pessimist, i'm a patriotic Nigerian, but what i'm saying is that This is a matter that cann't be controlled by the president, he does not have anything to do with this!!!
But ur father has everything to do with it abi?
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by theshadyexpress(m): 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
docadams:
My friend, he is making sense. Any serious student of international politics will know that being elected as a non-permanent member of the security council is mere glorification.
Be informed that previous milestone achieved by Nigeria at the UN makes this pale into insignificance.
be informed too that the world always look forward to Nigeria to tell the African story all the time and Nigeria also uses that sit to harness the gains from 'international economic diplomacy' bet you might find it hard to decode the essence of the aforementioned.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by olorire2013: 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nature has always been helping us to solve our problems.Boko haram problem will fizzle away in thin air very soon and we shall be back stronger again.I love Nigeria.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by adiscodigoxin: 8:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
luvable sam: we want a permanent seat on that council not just this how many year tenures we keep getting on the council...When will they ever realize that Nigeria is a power bloc in Africa?

We can never get that permanent seat o as far as we're concerned ,at a time when corruption is endemic in the country ,it would be so easy for Naija to veto anything once the boys have been settled ,imagine ouR politicians who are easily bribed by indigenous businessmen will fall more easily to foreign ones whenever they need their votes

Mr Presido,I'm oFfering you $50,000,000 dollars to veto millitary action against ____,and when asked why he did that,they wiLl tell the international media that they are bad eggs

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by cashkid18(m): 8:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
in d other news,nig wil b dividin in 2015 n they ar gvin nig a seat.,mayb afta nig divides,biafra wil tak ova frm wia she stopped cool cool
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by gr8man: 8:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: It's just like telling everyone on nairaland to vote for who will be a moderator between the both of us, then i decided to pull out and you won, the oga@dtop has nothing to do with the process, It's possible that if i had not stepped down i could have been voted into that post, same here, the contenders stepped down so only Nigeria is left and they automatically own that post.
I don't know you but from the way you think if you are still in primary or junior secondary school I can pardon you. But if you are in a tertiary institution or a graduate, I think your school should bow her head in shame for their admission given to you is/was a waste. Pls, always think before you type and contribute with insight to discourse such as this.
I didn't intend to comment on this thread initially, it was because of your comments I did

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by taharqa: 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
Elliotwiz1: It's just like telling everyone on nairaland to vote for who will be a moderator between the both of us, then i decided to pull out and you won, the oga@dtop has nothing to do with the process, It's possible that if i had not stepped down i could have been voted into that post, same here, the contenders stepped down so only Nigeria is left and they automatically own that post.
Let me give you an advice: Stop 'talking' on issues you know NOTHING about, plz...
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by ogaontop(m): 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
You are misinterpreting your misconceptions here
1. Even if you are the only country contesting, you MUST get two-thirds of the total votes, to be elected. So whether Zambia withdrew or not, its nt d major concern.
2. How can you say the president of a nation has no hand in her election to UN security council? Sounds so funny indeed!
Who will declare the country's interest in the UN general assembly and canvass for votes? Probably 'YOU' ,not the president!!

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Sermwell(m): 9:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
Y
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by taharqa: 9:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Aigipan: this isnt the first time Nigeria would get that position so what the heck?

This is d 1st time Nigeria wud be getting it almost back to back. It has NEVER happened.

Nigeria isn't supposed to get there again afta serving out her term in early 2012; it is suppossed to hv gone to another WA nation, esp a Anglophone one. YET, d whole of ECOWAS endorsed Nigeria. The whole of AFRICA (AU) endorsed Nigeria. Gambia, who had a better claim to d seat cos it it was not supposed to go to Nigeria this soon, had to step down cos of Nigeria's focused Diplomatic offensive. All d 5 Permanent membas of d Council as well as leading nations in d world endorsed Nigeria. And now Nigeria got d 2nd highest vote in a secret ballot at d General Assembly, way above d required 2/3.

And let me give you another perspective: this is d 5th time Nigeria wud be elected to d UN Security Council, 2 of which wud be mostly unda one President whilst other Presidents had the other 3 times.

Go figure....

3 Likes

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by kilmix: 9:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
And they said Naija is not the Giant of Africa!
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by taharqa: 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
taharqa: This is d 1st time Nigeria wud be getting it almost back to back. It has NEVER happened. Nigeria isn't supposed to get there again afta serving out her term in early 2012; it is suppossed to hv gone to another WA nation, esp a Anglophone one. YET, d whole of ECOWAS endorsed Nigeria. The whole of AFRICA (AU) endorsed Nigeria. Gambia, who had a better claim to d seat cos it it was not supposed to go to Nigeria this soon, had to step down cos of Nigeria's focused Diplomatic offensive. All d 5 Permanent membas of d Council as well as leading nations in d world endorsed Nigeria's candidature . And now Nigeria got d 2nd highest vote in a secret ballot at d General Assembly, way above d required 2/3... And let me give you another perspective: this is d 5th time Nigeria wud be elected to d UN Security Council, 2 of which wud be mostly unda one President whilst other Presidents had the other 3 times. Go figure....

Oh! Sorry. I forgot to add d most important point: there is deep STRATEGIC reason Nigeria sought for this seat again this soon, and there is a reason all of Africa wanted Nigeria there again in spite of d usual turn-by-turn tin. It is a well coordinated move by d nation; your nation, and you shld be proud...

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by lagosph: 9:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
theshadyexpress:
why do u guys like depriving this man of the fruit of his labour,where you guys blind when he was convincing AU and UN leaders to endorse Nigerias membership,pls let's be objective for once.

They were convinced by Lie Mohamed of APC that GEJ was drunk to stupor cos NGF election when he was busy canvansing for votes on the sidelines. Even after Abati told us the truth, they refuse to believe him rather it was easier believe Lies Mohammed.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by taharqa: 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
docadams:
Reali?? You don't say!... Just curious though: Are you a 'student' of International Politics yourself??

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by iterator25: 9:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Hmmm
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by iterator25: 9:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Give us permanent seat and I'd rejoice sad
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by ritux: 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Kudos must go to GEJ for this. We all saw when he rightly spoke at the UN summit that Nigeria deserves a seat in the security council.

I know anti GEJ haters will want to take this away from him but they won't succeed. Waiting patiently for what APC bigots Liar Mohammed Tinubu will say. They never see any good thing from this administration.

One Nigeria...united we shall be.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by iterator25: 10:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
ritux: Kudos must go to GEJ for this. We all saw when he rightly spoke at the UN summit that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat in the security council.

I know anti GEJ haters will want to take this away from him but they won't succeed. Waiting patiently for what APC bigots Liar Mohammed Tinubu will say. They never see any good thing from this administration.

One Nigeria...united we shall be.
fixed
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
iterator25: Give us permanent seat and I'd rejoice sad
permanent seat? I don't think Nigeria is ready for that, for you to have a permanent seat, you must be ready to fight terrorist by all means necessary, all the countries that have permanent seat have spend huge amount of money to upgrade their military force, Nigeria is known for offering amnesty to terrorists and rebellious groups.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by BARRISTERDAN(m): 10:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
themaskedman:
Each time I travel to a new city or state in Nigeria I see reasons why Nigeria should remain as one. Nigeria is a lovely place with wonderful people.
From the beautiful beaches of Lagos to the scorching hot deserts of Yobe, from the scenic views of the Mambilla and Obudu plateau to the tropical rain forest of Owerri and the swamps of Bayelsa I see them, all beautiful and given to us by God to keep us together.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by BARRISTERDAN(m): 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
themaskedman:
Each time I travel to a new city or state in Nigeria I see reasons why Nigeria should remain as one. Nigeria is a lovely place with wonderful people.
From the beautiful beaches of Lagos to the scorching hot deserts of Yobe, from the scenic views of the Mambilla and Obudu plateau to the tropical rain forest of Owerri and the swamps of Bayelsa I see them, all beautiful and given to us by God to keep us together.
That is quite true brother. I pray Nigeria will still remain one come 2015.

1 Like

Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by BARRISTERDAN(m): 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
themaskedman:
That is quite true brother. I pray Nigeria will still remain one come 2015. smiley
themaskedman:
That is quite true brother. I pray Nigeria will still remain one come 2015.
Re: UN Security Council Elects Nigeria, 4 Others As Members by Pattey(m): 10:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
theshadyexpress:
u speak in ignorance, you have no idea how international politics is played.

You better pack ur silly tongue somewhere . . . so its Nigeria's voice that will be heard on UN security council? Or which politics are u talking about? Ignoramus

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Is So Indebted That Lenders Hesitate To Give Us Loans- Senator Ben Bruce / Dangers For APC In Coerced Consensus / Reno Omokri: Peter Obi Only Wants To Rub Shoulders With Atiku And Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.