Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Sunday Morning: How Was Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sunday Morning: How Was Church? (12995 Views)

Ways Women Ask For Offering Indirectly On A Sunday Morning / Is It Unholy To Be Intimate On Sunday Morning Before Going To Church? / "errors" I Hear On The Sunday Morning Pulpit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by emmydee(m): 4:15pm On Jul 07, 2008
We had a praise Sunday and invited 4 gospel reggae artistes: Tonnel- 1 step forward, no step backward: Tojah- oversized blessing, Buchi- which one I go put for here sef, and Buzzman. Meeen, it was something else (efe adighi) no road. You needed to be there! men, u missed. The venue was The Living Word Revival Assembly, 98A HFP Way, Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi. Am not advertising o!
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by EverestJ(m): 4:45pm On Jul 07, 2008
the truth of d mata is dat 4 long i have not being 2 service. but dat does no mean i`m not righteous.
any way my sundays are always cool.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Esss(m): 5:32pm On Jul 07, 2008
kidub:

i don't understand what chrisoml meant by the 'same shit' where do you worship? that word is absurd to come from
a christian and im very sure you are a sunday sunday church goer. Well i had a great time in my church and my
pastor ministered about the person of the holy spirit. He is the third person of the Godhead and without the holy
spirit you cannot leave an effective christian life. You must have a relationship with the holy spirit to leave
a victorious life. read John 14:26, acts 1:8, mark 15:16-17

Let me explain. The preaching is basically the same old shit. If it is not about "Giving", it's something that has to do with "faith" or hell or the devil or demons, or your relation in the village witch hunting you, or speaking in tongues. I could tell you all the pastor will say as soon as he announces the topic.

But hey the pastor cracked me up last sunday in church. I swear this is a true story according to the pastor;

Some dudes (supposed missionaries), were in this war torn community where they were killing peeps on the regular (like rwanda). So on this fateful day, the pastor in the story and his sidekick were out for a walk when they stumbled upon a massacre in progress. According to the preacher, there were dead bodies spewn all over the place. So the killers came upon them (the missionaries) and asked them to get on their knees and do somethnig (I didnt quite hear this part). But the next thing the killers started shooting at the missionaries and (In the exact words of the preacher) "when the smoke form the gun shots cleared, they saw both missionaries jumping around speaking in tongues and praying with not even a single bullet wound on any of them". (At this point I shouted "Odeshi", laughed myself to my satisfaction, picked up my bible and went out for a beer. I had heard enough.) And you should have seen the entire church clapping and screaming praise the lord.

In fact last sunday should be called sunday of a thousand laughs.

What a bunch of suckers. Smoke from gunshots??
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by TOH(f): 6:21pm On Jul 07, 2008
Some dudes (supposed missionaries), were in this war torn community where they were killing peeps on the regular (like rwanda). So on this fateful day, the pastor in the story and his sidekick were out for a walk when they stumbled upon a massacre in progress. According to the preacher, there were dead bodies spewn all over the place. So the killers came upon them (the missionaries) and asked them to get on their knees and do somethnig (I didnt quite hear this part). But the next thing the killers started shooting at the missionaries and (In the exact words of the preacher) "when the smoke form the gun shots cleared, they saw both missionaries jumping around speaking in tongues and praying with not even a single bullet wound on any of them". (At this point I shouted "Odeshi", laughed myself to my satisfaction, picked up my bible and went out for a beer. I had heard enough.) And you should have seen the entire church clapping and screaming praise the lord.

In fact last sunday should be called sunday of a thousand laughs.

What a bunch of suckers. Smoke from gunshots??

Lmfao. I've heard pastors say such crap. It's hilarious how common sense and logic escapes some people when they are listening to these people. Trying to fill some sort of void.

I know of one service went to where the pastor was talking about pastors who compromise the messages of the Bible to please their members esp the ones who "give the most" and he went on about how some pastor was preaching against immorality and a congregation of the church got together and decided to kick him out because his being immorality offended them blah blah, im was just rolling mys eyes and thinki9ng of which kain "congregation" be this, Hoq can you try to make me believe someone was kicked out for preachig against immorality, why not go IN DEPTH of what he was supposedly preaching against and HOW he was doing this instead of trying tohave us believe that people et kicke out for preaching against "evil", abegi
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 07, 2008
church was great, i had a chance to speak with my admiree.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by debosky(m): 6:43pm On Jul 07, 2008
@ Ess

do you know what kind of guns were being used? undecided Anyways, when the 'smoke cleared' could've simply been a metaphor, not necessarily an exact account of events.

I hear your cynicism loud and clear man, truth is. . . if you don't feel like you are getting anything from that church, maybe its not the place for you wink

Anyways back to topic

It was all nations day at my church, celebrating the nations of the world and praising God in different languages and styles. It was mad fun and enjoyable. . .from the Congolese to Ghanaian, Angolan and of course naija stylee cheesy

Sometimes you don't really need a 'message', just praising God with other believers is often times enough.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by TOH(f): 6:49pm On Jul 07, 2008
shakabula grin
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by debosky(m): 7:06pm On Jul 07, 2008
TOH:

shakabula grin
my thoughts exactly. . .the ones with gunpowder grin
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by cartonflie(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2008
cheesy whoooo""shhhh me to i went to church, every body where happy but i was like kinda dummy there, imagine me!! at list i hard the word, praises,worships.

but immidiately after the church i was infact.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by jaydude(f): 8:50pm On Jul 07, 2008
church service was cool 2 RCCG,,,but can sum1 tell me why church service in redeemed are endless.i was in church from 8.30-1.30, can u beat dat? Anytin 4 baba God!
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Cristalz(f): 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2008
8.30 - 1.30 ? Wow. 5 hours of what? Really i don't see the point of extra long services. . . .haba,for how long can the human brain concentrate at a stretch anyway? Then when people start dozing they say its the devil. Is it really the devil or just nature taking its course? undecided

Long hours are worse when you've got the preacher screaming at you from the pulpit.I don't get that part sometimes.I mean,he/shez got a mic already.Why shout still? undecided
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by yemmydavid(m): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2008
@ queenisha

let me recommend Christ's Holiness Trinity Pentecostal tabernacle of Grace and Faith.

i will recomend this JESUS ON THE WAY TO NAZARETH INT'L CHURCH INC. aka ABUNDANT GRACE

Call your real estate agent, Your plot in Hell is ready
do u mean sumtin like plot 666 Hell drive internet close off VISAT jxn?
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Esss(m): 11:40pm On Jul 07, 2008
debosky:

@ Ess

do you know what kind of guns were being used? undecided Anyways, when the 'smoke cleared' could've simply been a metaphor, not necessarily an exact account of events.

I hear your cynicism loud and clear man, truth is. . . if you don't feel like you are getting anything from that church, maybe its not the place for you wink

Anyways back to topic

It was all nations day at my church, celebrating the nations of the world and praising God in different languages and styles. It was mad fun and enjoyablefrom the Congolese to Ghanaian, Angolan and of course naija stylee cheesy

Sometimes you don't really need a 'message', just praising God with other believers is often times enough.

O I've been to all of them. Deeper life, RCCG, you name it I've been there. If its not one scandal, it how mt wearing a jean and Tee shirt to church will send me straight to hell. I mean why do people even go to church?? Your pastors sermons all come from other peoples books and TBN, all your problems could be solved by hardwork and medicine, so why do you go to church?

I was in church last sunday cos I was bored and needed to entertain myself. And my lord was I entertained.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by iou111: 3:39am On Jul 08, 2008
Spirit- filled
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Aspire009: 9:11am On Jul 08, 2008
Service was great!!!!!!!!!!! wink
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Wokeyim(f): 9:47am On Jul 08, 2008
Cristalz:

8.30 - 1.30 ? Wow. 5 hours of what? Really i don't see the point of extra long services. . . .haba,for how long can the human brain concentrate at a stretch anyway? Then when people start dozing they say its the devil. Is it really the devil or just nature taking its course? undecided

These days Catholic masses are almost as long. I went for a 10.00am mass at 10.30am and they had already started, but mass didn't dismiss till 1pm on Sunday. I really felt bad. I like my church because it's meant to be a 45mins stuff and u're out, but these days, its one launching or the other in Church. I wonder if they do this in Rome or it's part of our Nigerian mentality. My Sunday should have been fun as i walked into the Church in the most elegant of clothes. People couldn't stop turning to admire me. But service overtayed and one after the other, people started to waka. It's not in my character to leave church before the end of mass because I love GOd so much and can dedicate all day to him - for a good cause- so i stayed on. The annoying thing is i dozed off while they were doing their series launchings and announcements and before i knew what was happening, i leant and fell on the person sitting by my left.  embarassed  embarassed Was i embarrased? I woke up and was happy to discover that it was a younger girl, so no offences, besides the church was almost empty by then, so i just covered up my sin by dozing a little more. After Mass, i just begin dey waka far dey go my way. That is what my sunday was like.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Wokeyim(f): 9:58am On Jul 08, 2008
Long hours are worse when you've got the preacher screaming at you from the pulpit.I don't get that part sometimes.I mean,he/shez got a mic already.Why shout still? undecided
[quote][/quote]

Blood and water!! I can take all the time-spending but definitely not the shouting! Sincerely, whenever i have to attend a pentecostal church for one occassion or the other, i always return home with a serious headache. I never get to understand why Pastors must shout at the congregation in the name of preaching. For crying out loud, God ain't deaf and my own God comes in "a still small voice", so i don't get why pastor must always be shouting and like pointing (accusing) fingers at his church members as if he is warning them or they've committed some crime. The only pentecostal pastor i admire is Pastor Adeboye of Redeemed and i wonder why his fellow Redeemed pastors can't be like him. Shout and we'll hear and agree with you,shout all the halleluyahs; but after that minute, everything dissapears. Take your message slowly and slowly will it sink into the hearts and minds of people. Gosh, all these our Americana-want to-be pastors! sad ,let's say its part of popular culture!!!  wink  wink
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by manchibabe: 10:47am On Jul 08, 2008
@ wokeyim

i totally agree with you, not really understood why pastors shout wen they have mic al to dem self, al dey got to do tell technical team to up d volume, maybe it is a technique to wake people up or rouse people attentions,

but whichever way i think d less shouting and displaying, d easier it is to meditate nd remember al dat has been said, becos to be honest once d shout starts i tend to swith off becos d next tin im tellin myself is dat im nt deaf
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 08, 2008
sad sad sad normal religious program, where is the HOLY GHOST DRIVEN CHURCH SELF angry angry angry "if jesus comes back will he still find faith on earth" cry cry
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Queenisha: 4:40pm On Jul 08, 2008
Esss:

O I've been to all of them. Deeper life, RCCG, you name it I've been there. If its not one scandal, it how mt wearing a jean and Tee shirt to church will send me straight to hell. I mean why do people even go to church?? Your pastors sermons all come from other peoples books and TBN, all your problems could be solved by hardwork and medicine, so why do you go to church?

I was in church last sunday because I was bored and needed to entertain myself. And my lord was I entertained.

Ess,you need salvation,you heathen! grin
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by lucabrasi(m): 4:50pm On Jul 08, 2008
@topic
this thread started with how your church service/sunday was and it has transformed into criticising churches and men of GOD if you dont like a church,then simply move on to some other church or try a mosque or a babalawo shrine,if its not what u want then theres hare krishna,grail message olumba olumba,ogboni fraternity,lodge,osugbo e.t.c
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by yemmydavid(m): 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2008
Y all d church criticism?

na wa o!!! we are deviating frm d topic
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by tpia: 8:34pm On Jul 08, 2008
Wokeyim:

These days Catholic masses are almost as long. I went for a 10.00am mass at 10.30am and they had already started, but mass didn't dismiss till 1pm on Sunday. I really felt bad. I like my church because it's meant to be a 45mins stuff and u're out, but these days, its one launching or the other in Church. I wonder if they do this in Rome or it's part of our Nigerian mentality. My Sunday should have been fun as i walked into the Church in the most elegant of clothes. People couldn't stop turning to admire me. But service overtayed and one after the other, people started to waka. It's not in my character to leave church before the end of mass because I love GOd so much and can dedicate all day to him - for a good cause- so i stayed on. The annoying thing is i dozed off while they were doing their series launchings and announcements and before i knew what was happening, i leant and fell on the person sitting by my left.  embarassed  embarassed Was i embarrased? I woke up and was happy to discover that it was a younger girl, so no offences, besides the church was almost empty by then, so i just covered up my sin by dozing a little more. After Mass, i just begin dey waka far dey go my way. That is what my sunday was like.

funny. cheesy

My cousin attended one Catholic church in the US and said the one hour mass was too short. As if oyibo get business with long church service. She was also shocked at the casual dress code there. 

I had warned her beforehand oh- that Naija church service is mostly found among Naija people.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Cristalz(f): 9:03pm On Jul 08, 2008
I stand corrected. No church criticisms.

Just that when one talks about how sunday service went,the good,bad and ugly come up. I don't think anybody's out to criticize,they're just saying how they felt about their experiences and giving their opinions,thats all. Honesty's a virtue,right?

Thread's still for sharing your sunday worship experience and how you spent sunday morning. No church beefs.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by TOH(f): 9:07pm On Jul 08, 2008
Cristalz:

Just that when one talks about how sunday service went,the good,bad and ugly come up. I don't think anybody's out to criticize,they're just saying how they felt about their experiences and giving their opinions,thats all. Honesty's a virtue,right?

Exactly. Not sure why some people are bothered. Not like anyone is saying people shouldnt go, just sharing their own opinions.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by doyin13(m): 9:58pm On Jul 08, 2008
Mehn. . . .Church scares me oo

Especially those sabi sabi pastors who like to cast out demons.

Fear dey always grip me say one day one day, all these my demons go call time out
for dat kain public place.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Yisraylite(m): 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2008
James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.

"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."

Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed., p. 174.

"Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

"Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her-she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."

John Laux, A Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools and Academies (1 936), vol. 1, P. 51.

"Some theologians have held that God likewise directly determined the Sunday as the day of worship in the New Law, that He Himself has explicitly substituted the Sunday for the Sabbath. But this theory is now entirely abandoned. It is now commonly held that God simply gave His Church the power to set aside whatever day or days she would deem suitable as Holy Days. The Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days as holy days."

Daniel Ferres, ed., Manual of Christian Doctrine (1916), p.67.

"Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holy days?

"Answer. By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of, and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church.'

James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore (1877-1921), in a signed letter.

"Is Saturday the seventh day according to the Bible and the Ten Commandments? I answer yes. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the seventh day -Saturday - for Sunday, the first day? I answer yes . Did Christ change the day'? I answer no!

"Faithfully yours, J. Card. Gibbons"
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by gentlegg(m): 10:43am On Jul 09, 2008
Church was nice as usual.

But the question should be "What Do you learn in Church today? A lot of us just to go church to see the charming pastor, hear the eloquent preacher, listen to the funny priest, dance the christianalised pop music (in disguised name of Worship Song), meet and chat with friends etc. But we always miss the nitty-gritty of sunday service.

We go to church to have father-son communion / fellowship with God. We receive caution, commendation, warning, discipline, instructions, commandments, encouragement, grace from God, not just for razzmatazz like in so many churches (especially pentecostals).

As for me this past sunday, our pastor strictly cautioned us against being haughty, pompous, egocentric, but rather to abase, humble ourselves and not seeking or vying for positions.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2008
i dont like my Revrend-, makes service boring.
, which made me sleep all thro-,  no thanks to hangover
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by Anuliph(f): 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2008
Church was ok. as usual. True worship only comes from the heart. dats the only way u can enjoy these things. I love my parish. mass is only 2 hrs. n its not boring.
it all depends on the priest and how he runs the church.
we cant have more than 5 thanksgivings per sunday, and after communion announcements are very brief. We xtians shouldnt be criticizing one another.
keep the faith y'all.
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by JUNIT1(m): 6:50am On Jul 11, 2008
may God forgive all of you pagans
Re: Sunday Morning: How Was Church? by tybanky(f): 2:42pm On Jul 11, 2008
Fantastic and I was blessed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman, Your Husband Is Your God. / Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? / Apostle Johnson Suleman Latest Prophecy This Night.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.