Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 (5443 Views)

Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 20, 2013
Gowon blames Ojukwu for war which he (Gowon) had declared and calls him a coward for not fighting until the last Biafran blood has been spilt.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gen-gowon-interviewed-hours-after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO33Vw8NXIE
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
Naive but nice
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by T8ksy(m): 2:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
I agree with the coward angle - Ojukeu should have stayed behind with his people if he truly believed his cause was genuine.

After millions have met their ghastly and gratuitous death, ojukwu suddenly remember the peaceful trajectory!

5 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by stevnwigw1: 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
he that fights and ran away may have to fight another day.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
Clearly Ojukwu was smarter than that smiley
That is why Ojukwu died as a great Igbo hero.

T8ksy: I agree with the coward angle - Ojukeu should have stayed behind with his people if he truly believed his cause was genuine.

After millions have met their ghastly and gratuitous death, ojukwu suddenly remember the peaceful trajectory!
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by geeez: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
Gowon said he believed Ojukwu will fight to the very end like he claimed before the war but he cowardly ran away

According to him, Hitler was more honorable, taking his own life

What a pity?

I like Gowon's charisma in the video and he behaved and acted like a C-in-C unlike some who are even afraid to be called that

5 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by SamIkenna: 4:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
Listen to the universe now, lol!

The wind has blown and we've seen the priest's pant.
We love Ojukwu. All Igbos great and small love him so suck on that Gowon or should I say "Go On With One Nigeria." We know who's bleeding now, we know those that are roasting and eating their former comrades today. Nigeria is angry because we didn't deliver Ojukwu's head to them. Well, guess what? we don't turn on our own. And that's more reason GEJ's haters should put their energy to use in other ethnic groups because we're not about to learn 'double talk' and backstabbing now.

If we're with you then we're with you - end of the story. Our elders instructed Ojukwu to declare Biafra while you, Gowon, declared war. We fought it and lost but we didnt lose our dignity. Time has shown we even won the war and incase you don't believe me check the stats on university enrollment, admin cut-off point, human development index, employment rate - be it self-employment or otherwise, access to health, female literacy rate, mother/child mortality rate, number of students and professionals in the disapora, etc. I can go on and on.

But what has the so-called core winners of the battle got to show after their premature celebration? Boko haram, matasine or whatever they call it, 10 million Almajiris, desert encroachment, Fulani vs Berom, Fulani vs Hausa, Fulani vs Oyo, Fulani vs all, Polio epidemic, educational disadvantage label for all their states, loss of their Ijaw and middle belt war friends, hunger for the presidency, bombing all over the north, roasting and eating of eachother, illiteracy all over the place despite 2 points cut-off point for some of their states as opposed to 134 average for 5 south eastern states. And I haven't even added Igbos in Rivers, Delta, and Edo, Lol!

Incase you dont't know it, your war gave us a united Igbo nation. We're holding on to that while your Hausa-Fulani instigators have almost totally wiped out your people, and guess what? The rest of your so-called southern friends have not and will never lift a finger to say jack. The same way they bailed on us is the same way they've kept hands akimbo while your people duel it out with blood thirsty Jihadists. Tell me when last Lagos media or any other media house down south yelled and called out Fulani in their quest to turning your people to cattle forage crop? Never, never gonna happen. So who lost then?

So next time before y'all start yapping about Ojukwu, civil war, or Igbo, ask your selves what did you gain from the so-called victory. Today SE and SS are interestingly united and shivers are going down y'all spine. You balkanized Igboland yet today Igbos world over are indentifying with their ancestry. Before the civil war most Igbos never used the word "Igbo" as maiden names, but in your grand design to destroy us you made the opportunity possible for Igbo nation to be, perhaps, the only nation in the face of the earth to have over 10% of their population use their ethnicity as their first names. Suck on that Gowon!

Our heads are high and there's nothing you can do about it. We have documented all you and your fellow criminals did during and after the war so go ahaed and run but can never hide. All generations of Igbo people will know it and at the appropriate time you will pay. It doesn't matter how long it takes. The only saving grace will be apology from you and the nations that joined in slaughtering 3 million of my kinsmen simply because they rejected a murderous jihadist nation. If it takes one thousand years from now we will wait. Take the presidency, take all our abandon property - we will wait. Chide us, taunt us, humiliate us, give us 20 pounds - we will fight back, but most importantly, we will wait.

You can only match our patience, resilience, and resolve to collect this debt if and only if you've been through what you made us go through simply because Nigerian, Britain, Russia, Egypt, Sudan, the rest of Arabs, and Christian friends of Jihadists down south felt they could.

Our heads and shoulders are high and we're loving the one Nigeria you created. Hopefully no one will talk about GEJ paying Tompolo or how Asari is rich or how GEJ is letting Boko Haram destroy the core north - sounds like Gowon keeping mute when 50,000 of Easterners were meeting the Jihadists' matchetes. Karma baby, karma. Don't fight it.

Long live Nigeria.
Once you're in you are in, no going out.

10 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by tomakint: 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2013
Once upon a time, a particular race were targeted for extermination, a brave soldier, Lt.Col Ojukwu (of blessed memory) took the case upon himself to report the plight of his people to the appropriate quarters (Gowon and his Hausa-Fulani Masters) they pretended to do something but the pogrom continued for 5 good months the aftermath led to the Civil War (an extension of Murtala and gangs pogrom on the Igbos)after the war, the Igbos were totally emasculated but today the Igbos have been vindicated!

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
geeez: Gowon said he believed Ojukwu will fight to the very end like he claimed before the war but he cowardly ran away

According to him, Hitler was more honorable, taking his own life

What a pity?

I like Gowon's charisma in the video and he behaved and acted like a C-in-C unlike some who are even afraid to be called that

Endorsing a military leader who signed an agreement, denounced it and killed millions of Nigerians.
Even hailing hitler - a man likened to the devil himself.
You are sick bro, very sick.

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by michelle007: 6:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ojukwu remains the only hero that ever came out of Nigeria. Just listen to Ojukwu's speech, that time, and compare it with Gowon's above. Then decide for yourself.

Why must Ojukwu allow them to kill him Ojukwu, the so called coward lost almost everything his father had for his course. He went to warfront himself once during the war. A war that made him, the son of the wealthiest Nigerian, a pauper.

What did Gowon lose during the war? Did he ever go close to the warfront? Look at him in the video. He is shamelessly well-fed, when millions of Nigerian starved to death. Listen as he kept referring to the Igbos are "they"!!!! Are "they" not "Nigerians"?

The man who is saying in the video that he has no political ambitions, stayed in power until he was butted off. He later tried to run for the presidency of Nigeria!!! So much for "having no political ambition."

Gowon was a fool for letting millions of Africans die in his quest to defend an entity that does not exist. They fourth their brother to uphold a British creation. No European will never fight his fellow European for an African creation. Nigeria remains a British creation, It will never work and it has never worked. It was designed to keep Africans enslaved, and it is fulfilling this purpose. Anybody defending Nigeria suffers from a severe case of stock-holms syndrome, where the captive falls in love with his capturer. Unfortunately majority of Africans fell in love with the chains that the whites used to enslave them. Nigeria is one of such chains.

At least Ojukwu was fighting for a nation created by indigenous Africans!!! Gowon was fighting for borders drawn by the colonists!!!!

Until Africans wake up and redefine their borders, there will never be peace in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
stevnwigw1: he that fights and ran away may have to fight another day.
did he later fight?

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ojukwu is a cantankerous coward- bianca's father.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by ALTRUTH(m): 7:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by LilBRightTMc(m): 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
Segeggs: did he later fight?
He did but his people will, if u can't see that u don't exist
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by musiwa41: 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
Gowon knew he had committed an international crime. because when a nigerian was nominated to the international criminal court. Record and video shows that Gowon who have been silent over many years quickly went to meet Jonathan goodluck to be friends with Jonathan, so that he does not get to go to ICC.

So you can see that Gowon knew that he know what lanscater house was all about. He knew that western Nigeria or eastern nigeria were independent from the northern nigeria. He was not fighting for the right reason.

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Lol
smh
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by musiwa41: 9:50pm On Oct 20, 2013
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Worldlife: 11:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
In this case is not apply
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by T8ksy(m): 12:57am On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari: Clearly Ojukwu was smarter than that smiley
That is why Ojukwu died as a great Igbo hero.

Yeah , what a great ibo hero he was - a war general who abandoned his troops on the battlefield and ran away to

safety in the middle of the night when confronted with imminent defeat!
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by musiwa41: 2:44am On Oct 21, 2013
to show you gowon was wrong that the east, west and north are separate countries. you will notice... french colonies are all august but britain decided to have it on one day october 1st

Benin August 1st; 1960 French
Niger August 3rd; 1960 France
Burkina Faso August 5; 1960
Cote d'Ivoire August 7th; 1960 France
C.A.R August 13th; 1960 France
Chad August 11th, 1960 France
Congo August 15th; 1960 France
Gabon August 17th; 1960 France
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
I lived through the war as a child.
The overwhelming feeling of Igbos after war was lost was relief as our suffering would end. We were felt Ojukwu and his troops surrendered the war because they were merciful towards the enormous suffering and starvation that we Igbos were enduring.

This video of Gowon leaves little doubt in my mind that Ojukwu did the correct thing in ensuring that Gowon's troops did not capture him, as this would have meant his certain death.

Ojukwu attained the unshakebly status of an Igbo hero long before the war ended.
He remains the greatest Igbo hero today.

T8ksy:

Yeah , what a great ibo hero he was - a war general who abandoned his troops on the battlefield and ran away to

safety in the middle of the night when confronted with imminent defeat!

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Sloan: 2:52pm On Oct 21, 2013

What fight did he fight another day? Did he not return to work like a sheep for his masters in the north and west eventually?? Otherwise, show me one LG election he won every since!

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Sloan: 2:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari: I lived through the war as a child.
The overwhelming feeling of Igbos after war was lost was relief as our suffering would end. We were felt Ojukwu and his troops surrendered the war because they were merciful towards the enormous suffering and starvation that we Igbos were enduring.

This video of Gowon leaves little doubt in my mind that Ojukwu did the correct thing in ensuring that Gowon's troops did not capture him, as this would have meant his certain death.

Ojukwu attained the unshakebly status of an Igbo hero long before the war ended.
He remains the greatest Igbo hero today.

Well, we all know ibo history started in 1967 and you still have a lot to learn. For sure, it is a shame that the greatest ibo ma who could not win an ordinary war in 1967, lost more than 3 M in just 2 years 6 months and 9 days! That is the greatest man in your tribe in its history, and all that is 40 years ago! Some other people have a super illustrious history dating back several hundreds of thousands of years! Ojuku was a coward no doubt, even hitler as bad as he was, was MUCH better!

3 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ojukwu did everything the Igbos wanted him to do.

Igbo wanted independence , Ojukwu declared independence -this single courageous act made irrevocable hero in Igbo hearts.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 3:42pm On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari: Ojukwu did everything the Igbos wanted him to do.

Igbo wanted independence , Ojukwu declared independence -this single courageous act made irrevocable hero in Igbo hearts.

When Adaka Boro wanted independence from the Eastern Region what did ojukwu and Ironsi do?
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by T8ksy(m): 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari: Ojukwu did everything the Igbos wanted him to do.

Did the ibo asked ojukwu to annex the mid-west region and the sw too?

I wonder how many of those "courageous" ibos would have insisted ojukwu declare for autonomy from nigeria, had they known that Ojukwu's

"best army in black africa" only have 200 dane guns in her armoury with minimal relevant foreign support.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 4:40pm On Oct 21, 2013
T8ksy:

Did the ibo asked ojukwu to annex the mid-west region and the sw too?

I wonder how many of those "courageous" ibos would have insisted ojukwu declare for autonomy from nigeria, had they known that Ojukwu's

"best army in black africa" only have 200 dane guns in her armoury with minimal relevant foreign support.

My brother I still cant wrap my head around it. A man who sent people to the war front with cutlasses to confront people with AK-47 while that same man was hiding in bushes and armed his personal security with the best hands in Biafra. The same man who said Gowon was not the most senior military officer in Nigeria so he was not entitled to the throne while this same man (ojukwu) locked the most senior ibo officer (Brig. Hilary Njoku)in Biafra in prison . The same wicked ojukwu who rejected land corridor through which they could bring in food to feed his people who were dying in droves of hunger while ojukwu looked chubby and over weight. Did any of ojukwu's useless children who are fighting over Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu's properties (The only Ojukwu I have a modicum of respect for) go a hour without food during the stu.pid war. An ojukwu who killed Banjo for abandoning Benin while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu in 1967 and ran to Onitsha. The same ojukwu in July 1966 who told Brig. Ogundipe to keep fighting while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu for Onitsha.

An ojukwu who said they were going to fight to the last man and that when they had killed the last man the grass will stand up and fight. A man whose only war strategy was to use people as cannon-fodder and show his starving people to the world so as gain pity. ojukwu is the greatest scam in the history of this country. Its so unfortunate that 43 years after the end of the civil war this man is regarded as a hero by a group of people, so unfortunate.

4 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Sloan: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2013
debetmx:

My brother I still cant wrap my head around it. A man who sent people to the war front with cutlasses to confront people with AK-47 while that same man was hiding in bushes and armed his personal security with the best hands in Biafra. The same man who said Gowon was not the most senior military officer in Nigeria so he was not entitled to the throne while this same man (ojukwu) locked the most senior ibo officer (Brig. Hilary Njoku)in Biafra in prison . The same wicked ojukwu who rejected land corridor through which they could bring in food to feed his people who were dying in droves of hunger while ojukwu looked chubby and over weight. Did any of ojukwu's useless children who are fighting over Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu's properties (The only Ojukwu I have a modicum of respect for) go a hour without food during the stu.pid war. An ojukwu who killed Banjo for abandoning Benin while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu in 1967 and ran to Onitsha. The same ojukwu in July 1966 who told Brig. Ogundipe to keep fighting while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu for Onitsha.

An ojukwu who said they were going to fight to the last man and that when they had killed the last man the grass will stand up and fight. A man whose only war strategy was to use people as cannon-fodder and show his starving people to the world so as gain pity. ojukwu is the greatest scam in the history of this country. Its so unfortunate that 43 years after the end of the civil war this man is regarded as a hero by a group of people, so unfortunate.

ibos do not care about all this rational points you are talking about here! Even hitler is >>>> Ojuku because he stood up for what he believed to the last second and he died for that belief! Ojukwu exhibited the typical "individualism" ideology of the ibos where "I" is more important that others! The rules apply to every body except himself! It is called hypocrisy but most ibo kids have been brainwashed that it is okay to kill 3 M and keep 1 person alive as though the life of 3 M ibos is <<<< that 1 ojukwu. Well at the end of their day, it is their choice and loss as far as they don't bring their complaints and story to worry other Nigerians!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Just In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another SS Wannabe / Photos: How Nnamdi Kanu Is Intimidating The Federal Government / Have You Seen A Queue As Long As This At A Fuel Station Before ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.