Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 (5438 Views)

Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by melvinbba: 6:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
pls ppl can sombody xplan 2 me d big dil in the fact dat igbos want 2 b on dere on
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 21, 2013
debetmx:

My brother I still cant wrap my head around it. A man who sent people to the war front with cutlasses to confront people with AK-47 while that same man was hiding in bushes and armed his personal security with the best hands in Biafra. The same man who said Gowon was not the most senior military officer in Nigeria so he was not entitled to the throne while this same man (ojukwu) locked the most senior ibo officer (Brig. Hilary Njoku)in Biafra in prison . The same wicked ojukwu who rejected land corridor through which they could bring in food to feed his people who were dying in droves of hunger while ojukwu looked chubby and over weight. Did any of ojukwu's useless children who are fighting over Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu's properties (The only Ojukwu I have a modicum of respect for) go a hour without food during the stu.pid war. An ojukwu who killed Banjo for abandoning Benin while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu in 1967 and ran to Onitsha. The same ojukwu in July 1966 who told Brig. Ogundipe to keep fighting while he (ojukwu) abandoned Enugu for Onitsha.

An ojukwu who said they were going to fight to the last man and that when they had killed the last man the grass will stand up and fight. A man whose only war strategy was to use people as cannon-fodder and show his starving people to the world so as gain pity. ojukwu is the greatest scam in the history of this country. Its so unfortunate that 43 years after the end of the civil war this man is regarded as a hero by a group of people, so unfortunate.

Ojukwu did not declare war, he simply declared independence.

Gowon declared war.

If he fought to the last man all Igbos would be exterminated, so we are glad he quit when he did.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
And the move to Biafra just begun!

Ojukwu our hero was so wise to move away before the surrender!
If Ojukwu was captured.............

Anyway, Gowon, go home and bury your daily dead and daily dying!

Long live Biafra!

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by madamoringo(f): 8:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari:

Gowon declared war.

If he fought to the last man all Igbos would be exterminated, so we are glad he quit when he did.

If you truly believe that, then I've got a mansion to sell you in the middle of the Atlantic! You ibos are blind and unable to see, someone cursed you and he must be a powerful witchdoctor. So if ibos were to be exterminated, was Ojukwu in a position to do anything about it? After biafra lost the war catastrophically, what stopped Nigeria from killing all the remaining ibos? How did Effiong and his commanders come in to Lagos and were allowed to live? Would a Hitler have allowed any of them to leave alive? Why not deceive them and shoot them all to death and finish off the few ibos left in the east if it was the aim of Nigeria to kill off all ibos? Well, I don't expect you to reason anyway, you people have your minds made up on lies!

5 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by babanaba: 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
madam_oringo:

If you truly believe that, then I've got a mansion to sell you in the middle of the Atlantic! You ibos are blind and unable to see, someone cursed you and he must be a powerful witchdoctor. So if ibos were to be exterminated, was Ojukwu in a position to do anything about it? After biafra lost the war catastrophically, what stopped Nigeria from killing all the remaining ibos? How did Effiong and his commanders come in to Lagos and were allowed to live? Would a Hitler have allowed any of them to leave alive? Why not deceive them and shoot them all to death and finish off the few ibos left in the east if it was the aim of Nigeria to kill off all ibos? Well, I don't expect you to reason anyway, you people have your minds made up on lies!
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes the kind of aspersions these guys make cannot be described. They can come up with anything and hold on to it even when they are wrong. Now, I am sure deep down he Ojukwu regretted ever declaring independence or whatever. There are ways of getting things rather than fighting .Even one is going to fight he has to be ready for it. But in the typical manner of "gra gra" they declared independence. Igbos could have gotten independence if they had used their brain rather than acting like they did,which I consider amateurish. There is a difference between having strength and having brains. One thing is sure if it had succeeded that country would have been like Eritera by now.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by babanaba: 9:02pm On Oct 21, 2013
GenBuhari:

Gowon declared war.

You know I used to respect you and see you as a non typical. You responded in a typical manner. You did not even read his comment.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by tomakint: 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2013
I don't know why some clowns here have turned into perpetual revisionists! Ojukwu never wanted war but peace, Biafrans didn't fire the first shot, Nigerian Troops (under First Division, Commanded by Col Mohammed Shuwa) did in the early hours of 6th July, 1967 at Garkem (a town about 49 kilometres from Ogoja in Cross River State)! Ojukwu remains a HERO for fighting the injustice of his era and his suggestion for a confederacy then remains relevant in the scheme of things today!

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by litelov: 11:23pm On Oct 21, 2013
madam_oringo:

I am not Nigerian and I have never been to Nigeria but I have personally studied west African history and culture because DNA links my family to Nigeria. So I'm not speaking from any tribal perspective.

I can tell you that what you wrote does not make sense at all.

1) its not a matter of believe! Its a matter of recorded history! Ojuku declared an independent Biafra, not war. It was Nigeria that started war by first carrying out military police action against biafra. The same Nigeria that fails to implement what they agreed with in Ghana.

2) It was the attention brought by the war that prevented the Nigerian jihads from killing off all Christian braifrans. The killing started before the war, the world did not know what was going on. But the war brought the attention of the world. There was riot all over the world. It was this attention that checked Nigerians. This attention was even mentioned in the gowon video.

The truth is that Nigerians hate ibis, and its very sad. I'm not Ibo but I will say the truth. But the rest of world is beginning to know what is happening in Nigeria, even Hollywood. Watch the movie called TEARS OF THE SON.

5 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by tomakint: 11:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
litelov:
I am not Nigerian and I have never been to Nigeria but I have personally studied west African history and culture because DNA links my family to Nigeria. So I'm not speaking from any tribal perspective.
1) its not a matter of believe! Its a matter of recorded history!
litelov, may you know peace all the days of your life for saying the absolute truth about a 'war of extermination against the Igbos'!
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by cKaiser: 1:38am On Oct 22, 2013
Of course Ojukwu was a coward everyone knows that

When they told him not to go to war he insisted that 200 cutlasses was enough to fight till he was bludgeoned by Adekunle and fled for his life leaving women to suffer

If truly Gowon was interested in exterminating Ibos, What stopped him from continuing the killings after the cantankerous coward called Ojukwu fled

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by litelov: 2:31am On Oct 22, 2013
cKaiser: Of course Ojukwu was a coward everyone knows that

When they told him not to go to war he insisted that 200 cutlasses was enough to fight till he was bludgeoned by Adekunle and fled for his life leaving women to suffer

If truly Gowon was interested in exterminating Ibos, What stopped him from continuing the killings after the cantankerous coward called Ojukwu fled

I already answered your question. The Nigerians couldn't continue their killings after the war because the war had already attracted international attention. The biafrans won the propaganda war against Nigeria because they made the world notice what monsters Nigerians were. That's why gowon was trying to defend in the video that they are not going to kill all ibos. He was under pressure, the whole world was watching him.

And mind you, Nigeria couldn't defeat biafra. The defeat was orchestrated by the British due to the mass rioting in England against the war. I can elaborate on this if you want. Nigerian millitary is a disgrace, they couldn't defeat bianfrans despite their superior guns.

I followed that war very well. I read writings from both sides. Nigerians hate ibos. That's the simple truth.

Ojuku was not a coward. He fourth a war that attracted the attention of the world to the plight of the ibos. Once this attention was gotten, he left. Which is a very smart thing to do. This attention still protects them today.

Watch TEARS OF THE SON. The character in that movie called Yekubu mustafer was perhaps instigated by Yekubu Gowon.

We non Nigerians know what's going on there.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by cKaiser: 2:51am On Oct 22, 2013
Who told you Gowon couldnt continue killings even after surrender

In WW2 after surrender of Germany the Russians insisted on the Germans surrendering at the Bundestag and they continued the killing and plunder of Berlin even after that

Everyone knew Ojukwu was a coward even his father in law called him a coward, His second in command called him a coward

Give me examples of warlords leading an army who fled warfront and left their people to die

Tell us any man who fled war and deserves to be called a coward

Ojukwu was a cantankerous coward the worst kind of coward ever born

That was why Azikwe his tribesman never supported his war. he was simply a spoilt youth who misused power

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by litelov: 3:12am On Oct 22, 2013
U are going tribalistic. I don't know about ur tribes so I can't go there. I don't care what his father in law said or what his tribesmen say. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Russia, Britain and USA pretty much owned the world after second world war. U can't compare that scenario with Nigeria beifran war. Russia had no stronger power to fear.

Ojuku said he went to negotiate for peace. Which is a smart thing to do. One securing international attention, he sought peace. The goal of war is not to win every battle. It is to secure a long lasting position for your people. Sometimes u lose a battle to win the war. Biafran war is battle in the war for freedom of the ibos. The war I think they will eventually win, since Nigeria is bound to break up.

When I found out I had Nigerian roots I engrossed myself in Nigerian historical happenings, in view that I will return home someday. But what I saw and what I'm reading here show that u guys a clueless about world politics. The whites use u guys to kill each other based on tribalism. I was shocked when I saw the video of sokoto telling an interviewer that they rather hire a white expatriate than a Nigerian Ibo!!! That's disgusting!!!!

I will never go to Nigeria. U guys a clueless.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 9:32am On Oct 22, 2013
litelov:

1) its not a matter of believe! Its a matter of recorded history! Ojuku declared an independent Biafra, not war. It was Nigeria that started war by first carrying out military police action against biafra. The same Nigeria that fails to implement what they agreed with in Ghana.

2) It was the attention brought by the war that prevented the Nigerian jihads from killing off all Christian braifrans. The killing started before the war, the world did not know what was going on. But the war brought the attention of the world. There was riot all over the world. It was this attention that checked Nigerians. This attention was even mentioned in the gowon video.

The truth is that Nigerians hate ibis, and its very sad. I'm not Ibo but I will say the truth. But the rest of world is beginning to know what is happening in Nigeria, even Hollywood. Watch the movie called TEARS OF THE SON.

Let me address the issues you raised. Obviously you have only seen things from the point of view of the biafran revisionist and propagandist.

1. In February 1966 when ojukwu's brother was the head of state, Adaka Boro declared independence from the Eastern Region. What did ojukwu and Aguiyi Ironsi do? Fast Forward to May 1967 Gowon did the same thing ojukwu and Aguiyi Ironsi did in February 1966 or is the aspirations of the ibos more important than that of the Niger Deltas.

2. The killing of ibos had noting to do about their religion. The killing of ibos was as a result of the first military coup in Nigeria on January 15, 1966 where a coup executed by predominantly ibo officers who had killed the four (4) most senior Northerner Officers (Maimalari, Kur Mohammed, Largema and Pam), the premier of the Northerner Region (Sir Ahmadu Bello) and the Northern Prime Minister (Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa). They also killed the most senior Yoruba Officer (Samuel Ademulegun), the third most senior Yoruba Officer (Ralph Shodeinde) and the premier of Western Region (Ladoke Akintola) while they left out the President who is ibo, they left out the most senior Nigerian and ibo Officer (Aguiyi Ironsi) and they also left out the ibo premier of Eastern Region and the man who was described by his father in law (CC Onoh, ibo) as a CANTANKEROUS COWARD, CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU (5th Battalion Kano). The acting president (ibo) ,(Nwafor Orizu) who should have handed over to the acting PM chosing by the Northern Party instead handed over power to GOC of the Nigeria Army who was also ibo. Some people say under duress. The ibos in the North, had openly celebrated the killing of the Northerners and also taunted the Northerners that power had changed hands. Also the ibos at every opportunity played a record "Ewu Ne Ba Akwa” meaning in ibo "goats are crying" in reference to the premier of the Northern Region who at that time was the powerful Nigerian.

3. The president of Nigeria (Gowon) during the biafran war is a Christian and he was a better Christian than the biafran leader (ojukwu). The minister of Finance (Awolowo) and second to Gowon was also a Christian. The GOC of 3rd Divison (Benjamin Adekunle) who said " I want to avoid feeding a single Ibo as long as this whole people have not given up yet" is a Christian and also the officers who served under him. The Officer who received the instrument of surrender from the biafrans (Obasanjo) is a Christian. The super Permanent Secretaries under Gowon were Christians. The civil war in the simplest term was a clash of ego between Gowon and ojukwu and I stand to be corrected. Kindly read the book of one of the officers who took part in the first coup and fought on the biafran side (Adewale Ademoyega) "Why We Struck". ojukwu said "on Aburi we stand" while his heart and other leg was in Yamoussoukro.

4. There about 400 ethnic nationalities in Nigeria. Sample people's opinion from various ethnic nationalities and notice which tribe Nigerians detest most. The average ibo person lacks tact, lousy and has the attitude "we are smart others are foolish". That was why during the first coup in Nigeria, they killed the leaders and military officers of others and gave spurious reasons why their own were spared. The same reason 42 years after the first coup the respected chinua achebe in his book "There was a Country, A personal history of Biafra" described the first coup as a naively idealist coup. Of course, its an idealist coup since they spared the lives of the ibo leaders and officers. That's a classic example of an ibo man's definition of sense.

4 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 9:47am On Oct 22, 2013
litelov: U are going tribalistic. I don't know about ur tribes so I can't go there. I don't care what his father in law said or what his tribesmen say. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Russia, Britain and USA pretty much owned the world after second world war. U can't compare that scenario with Nigeria beifran war. Russia had no stronger power to fear.

Ojuku said he went to negotiate for peace. Which is a smart thing to do. One securing international attention, he sought peace. The goal of war is not to win every battle. It is to secure a long lasting position for your people. Sometimes u lose a battle to win the war. Biafran war is battle in the war for freedom of the ibos. The war I think they will eventually win, since Nigeria is bound to break up.

When I found out I had Nigerian roots I engrossed myself in Nigerian historical happenings, in view that I will return home someday. But what I saw and what I'm reading here show that u guys a clueless about world politics. The whites use u guys to kill each other based on tribalism. I was shocked when I saw the video of sokoto telling an interviewer that they rather hire a white expatriate than a Nigerian Ibo!!! That's disgusting!!!!

The peace that he never negotiated when his people was dying of hunger. The same man who told his people to go war front with cutlasses to face people with AK-47. When his life and that of his family was now under threat now thought of negotiating peace. If you live in Nigeria, you will do more than what Sir Ahmadum Bello said the ibos. Ibos will never employ a Northerner unless as a gateman while you expect Ahmadu Bello to employ them as Directors?

We are not clueless. The clueless people are the ones ojukwu sent to the war fronts with cutlasses to their deaths and the people he deprived of food while he was busy cavorting with hausa women.

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 22, 2013
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 10:04am On Oct 22, 2013
litelov: U are going tribalistic. I don't know about ur tribes so I can't go there. I don't care what his father in law said or what his tribesmen say. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Kindly read the book of NU Akpan, ojukwu's secretary during the biafran war, "The Struggle for Secession, 1966-1970: A Personal Account of the Nigerian Civil War"
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by thoth: 10:49am On Oct 22, 2013
This type of thread should be avoided by all Igbos by all means.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 22, 2013
For what reason?

thoth: This type of thread should be avoided by all Igbos by all means.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

In war, capturing the commander is an end game.
If Ojukwu was captured........... No, I cant even imagine it.

Anyway, after the surrender, the Biafran scientists and engineers were executed in their numbers. That Ojukwu was alive helped to stop the tide. If Ojukwu was captured, the Asaba massacre would had been nothing to be compared.

We fought for our Independence and failed, the commander escaped. His being alive kept our hopes on.
Dear Nigerians, we love Ojukwu. We believe in his vision.
He is no longer here, but some of us have taking over the struggle. Biafra is a duty I owe to my children my generation.

Nigeria is a lie! A country where a child who scored 69% is denied admission while the one who scored 1% is offered admission!

I am not a Nigerian! I am Biafran! Biafra lives on.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 22, 2013
debetmx:

Let me address the issues you raised. Obviously you have only seen things from the point of view of the biafran revisionist and propagandist.

1. In February 1966 when ojukwu's brother was the head of state, Adaka Boro declared independence from the Eastern Region. What did ojukwu and Aguiyi Ironsi do? Fast Forward to May 1967 Gowon did the same thing ojukwu and Aguiyi Ironsi did in February 1966 or is the aspirations of the ibos more important than that of the Niger Deltas.

2. The killing of ibos had noting to do about their religion. The killing of ibos was as a result of the first military coup in Nigeria on January 15, 1966 where a coup executed by predominantly ibo officers who had killed the four (4) most senior Northerner Officers (Maimalari, Kur Mohammed, Largema and Pam), the premier of the Northerner Region (Sir Ahmadu Bello) and the Northern Prime Minister (Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa). They also killed the most senior Yoruba Officer (Samuel Ademulegun), the third most senior Yoruba Officer (Ralph Shodeinde) and the premier of Western Region (Ladoke Akintola) while they left out the President who is ibo, they left out the most senior Nigerian and ibo Officer (Aguiyi Ironsi) and they also left out the ibo premier of Eastern Region and the man who was described by his father in law (CC Onoh, ibo) as a CANTANKEROUS COWARD, CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU (5th Battalion Kano). The acting president (ibo) ,(Nwafor Orizu) who should have handed over to the acting PM chosing by the Northern Party instead handed over power to GOC of the Nigeria Army who was also ibo. Some people say under duress. The ibos in the North, had openly celebrated the killing of the Northerners and also taunted the Northerners that power had changed hands. Also the ibos at every opportunity played a record "Ewu Ne Ba Akwa” meaning in ibo "goats are crying" in reference to the premier of the Northern Region who at that time was the powerful Nigerian.

3. The president of Nigeria (Gowon) during the biafran war is a Christian and he was a better Christian than the biafran leader (ojukwu). The minister of Finance (Awolowo) and second to Gowon was also a Christian. The GOC of 3rd Divison (Benjamin Adekunle) who said " I want to avoid feeding a single Ibo as long as this whole people have not given up yet" is a Christian and also the officers who served under him. The Officer who received the instrument of surrender from the biafrans (Obasanjo) is a Christian. The super Permanent Secretaries under Gowon were Christians. The civil war in the simplest term was a clash of ego between Gowon and ojukwu and I stand to be corrected. Kindly read the book of one of the officers who took part in the first coup and fought on the biafran side (Adewale Ademoyega) "Why We Struck". ojukwu said "on Aburi we stand" while his heart and other leg was in Yamoussoukro.

4. There about 400 ethnic nationalities in Nigeria. Sample people's opinion from various ethnic nationalities and notice which tribe Nigerians detest most. The average ibo person lacks tact, lousy and has the attitude "we are smart others are foolish". That was why during the first coup in Nigeria, they killed the leaders and military officers of others and gave spurious reasons why their own were spared. The same reason 42 years after the first coup the respected chinua achebe in his book "There was a Country, A personal history of Biafra" described the first coup as a naively idealist coup. Of course, its an idealist coup since they spared the lives of the ibo leaders and officers. That's a classic example of an ibo man's definition of sense.

Yet, you need us so much in Nigeria that the mere mention of Biafra brings out the venom in you!
You detest us, then you force us to stay in Nigeria and then slaughter us because you so detest us?
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
babanaba:
I couldn't agree more. Sometimes the kind of aspersions these guys make cannot be described. They can come up with anything and hold on to it even when they are wrong. Now, I am sure deep down he Ojukwu regretted ever declaring independence or whatever. There are ways of getting things rather than fighting .Even one is going to fight he has to be ready for it. But in the typical manner of "gra gra" they declared independence. Igbos could have gotten independence if they had used their brain rather than acting like they did,which I consider amateurish. There is a difference between having strength and having brains. One thing is sure if it had succeeded that country would have been like Eritera by now.

If Ojukwu regretted the declaration, that was his own problem.
Because if I was in his shoes, I would also declare Biafra!

For your info, Ojukwu is no longer here and some of us a working hard to have Biafra retostored.
Within Nigeria, you kill us without reason, so if you kill us because we mentioned Biafra, I consider that a better death!

I prefer to be killed while seeking Biafra than to be killed as one of those numbers within "one" Nigeria!

You guys should forget about the lies you have been told!
Biafra is an unstoppable movement. If my generations fails, then the next will take over.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
cKaiser: Who told you Gowon couldnt continue killings even after surrender

In WW2 after surrender of Germany the Russians insisted on the Germans surrendering at the Bundestag and they continued the killing and plunder of Berlin even after that

Everyone knew Ojukwu was a coward even his father in law called him a coward, His second in command called him a coward

Give me examples of warlords leading an army who fled warfront and left their people to die

Tell us any man who fled war and deserves to be called a coward

Ojukwu was a cantankerous coward the worst kind of coward ever born

That was why Azikwe his tribesman never supported his war. he was simply a spoilt youth who misused power

Zik believed in "one" Nigeria! It had nothing to do with Ojukwu's personality.
For your information, the Biafran scientists and engineers (those who did not go to the war front) were slaughtered after the surrender.
Their documents and labs were also burnt!

You guys can keep believing in lies! Yet, know this one thing, that Biafra as a nation will rise to fall no more.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by litelov: 12:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
@debetmx

Thanks for your explanations. I must first say that I'm not supporting any tribe, be it Ibo or Hausa. I'm just seeing things from a fair point of view. The points you raised are interesting, but I have questions for you. Please educate me.

1) I read about the first coup in Nigeria, the five majors coup. Why is this coup called an Ibo coup when the leader of the coup was Mr kadunna, a man who was born and raised in the north? There is definitely something about the way you guys decide who is Ibo, Hausa and youroba that we non Nigerians don't understand. What's the criteria for deciding ones tribe? From what I gathered from Obasanjo's book on Mr kadunna, he was not what you people call core Ibo. Also, he took a handful of soldiers to Mr sokotos house. Were all these soldiers who aided him to kill sokoto all ibos? Weren't they all armed? From what I gathered they were predominantly northern Hausa. Actually I read a book from a northern Nigerian who in his account of the coup stated that it was a northern junior officer that killed Mr sokoto while he struggled with Mr kaduna.

2) if the ibos officers plan a coup and kill major northern officers, why didn't the north in their retaliation only limit their killings to Ibo officers? Why kill children, women, and Ibo civilians all over north. Even if you prove that the first coup was tribalistic, you must agree that the northern retaliatory coup was far worst. It was an ethnic cleansing!!!

2) where were the northern soldiers when kadunna was parading himself and granting interviews in the north after is coup? Where was babangida and danjuma? Why couldn't the fight kadunna if they were not part of the coup? Mr ironsi aressted kadunna after the coup. Was ironsi not Ibo? From what I gathered, it was the ibos, namely Mr ironsi, that foiled that coup. The fact that the the president was away during that coup was a circumstantail evidence, not enough to accuse him of being involved.

Before u answer my questions, let me tell you that all the coups ever done in Nigeria were backed by the same people who use Africans to kill Africans.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 12:40pm On Oct 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

Guy I must consult that witchdoctor too. I still cant believe that the ibo biafran propaganda is more effective in 2013 than in 1970 because the non-ibo biafran were not fooled. This men fooled your grand-fathers, fooled your fathers, are still fooling you and would still fool your unborn children. Even the most educated ibo men are immune from this gibberish.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
noblezone:

Yet, you need us so much in Nigeria that the mere mention of Biafra brings out the venom in you!
You detest us, then you force us to stay in Nigeria and then slaughter us because you so detest us?

I have no problem with any ethnic group whether you are ibo or from my Yoruba ethnic group. I treat everybody on their own personal merit. I treat everybody the way I want the other person to treat me.

My only problem about biafra is that ojukwu had only used his people in his personal war of egos with Gowon and like I earlier stated I stand to be corrected and killing of the ibos by the northerners had only given ojukwu legitimacy amongst the ibos
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by cKaiser: 3:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
litelov: @debetmx

Thanks for your explanations. I must first say that I'm not supporting any tribe, be it Ibo or Hausa. I'm just seeing things from a fair point of view. The points you raised are interesting, but I have questions for you. Please educate me.

1) I read about the first coup in Nigeria, the five majors coup. Why is this coup called an Ibo coup when the leader of the coup was Mr kadunna, a man who was born and raised in the north? There is definitely something about the way you guys decide who is Ibo, Hausa and youroba that we non Nigerians don't understand. What's the criteria for deciding ones tribe? From what I gathered from Obasanjo's book on Mr kadunna, he was not what you people call core Ibo. Also, he took a handful of soldiers to Mr sokotos house. Were all these soldiers who aided him to kill sokoto all ibos? Weren't they all armed? From what I gathered they were predominantly northern Hausa. Actually I read a book from a northern Nigerian who in his account of the coup stated that it was a northern junior officer that killed Mr sokoto while he struggled with Mr kaduna.

2) if the ibos officers plan a coup and kill major northern officers, why didn't the north in their retaliation only limit their killings to Ibo officers? Why kill children, women, and Ibo civilians all over north. Even if you prove that the first coup was tribalistic, you must agree that the northern retaliatory coup was far worst. It was an ethnic cleansing!!!

2) where were the northern soldiers when kadunna was parading himself and granting interviews in the north after is coup? Where was babangida and danjuma? Why couldn't the fight kadunna if they were not part of the coup? Mr ironsi aressted kadunna after the coup. Was ironsi not Ibo? From what I gathered, it was the ibos, namely Mr ironsi, that foiled that coup. The fact that the the president was away during that coup was a circumstantail evidence, not enough to accuse him of being involved.

Before u answer my questions, let me tell you that all the coups ever done in Nigeria were backed by the same people who use Africans to kill Africans.

1. In Nigeria your ethnic group classification isnt as a result of your place of birth. Chukwuma kaduna Nzeogwu is an Ibo man who led his Ibo friends like Onwuatuegwu, Anuforo, Okafor, Nwobosi and Ifeajuna to kill other tribal leaders while sparing theirs.

Assuming youre African American Tell me what you would have done if a bunch of white soldiers just wake up and kill Obama, Al Sharpton, Attorney Holder, Key Black leaders in Senate and Jesse jackson all the black leaders claiming they were corrupt and sparing all white politicians including Obamas Vice, a dn all white members of Sentate congress and cabinet

2. Where in the world has action and reaction been opposite? In WW1 Archduke Ferdinand was killed, ver 5 million people died as a result. When Al Qaeda attacked Americs why didnt just go after those Al Qaeda men? How many people have died in Iraq or Afghnaistan as a result of those actions? Are there no innocent ppl among them?

3. When Ironsi arrested Kaduna Nzeogwu what happened? Ibo soldiers killed Other regional leaders yet Ironsi another ibo was handling this delicate situation with kids gloves. Until the aggrieved soldiers took the law into their hands. In the example I gave before Assuming a white man becomes US president after cleansing the blacks and instead of prosecuting the killers he was just foot draging

What would you expect the aggrieved parties to do

Like I said Ojukwu was a coward and the Ibos brought the war upon themselves as a result of the january 15 1966 coup
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
debetmx:

I have no problem with any ethnic group whether you are ibo or from my Yoruba ethnic group. I treat everybody on their own personal merit. I treat everybody the way I want the other person to treat me.

My only problem about biafra is that ojukwu had only used his people in his personal war of egos with Gowon and like I earlier stated I stand to be corrected and killing of the ibos by the northerners had only given ojukwu legitimacy amongst the ibos

And what do you call ego?

That Ojukwu refused to take command from Gowon and insisted that the most senior in the army (a yoruba man) must take over if Ironsi was dead? I think the yoruba officers were the cowards. there indifference and/or fear destroyed the Nigerian army!

Yet, Ojukwu's "ego" was even a non issue compared to the fact that Igbos of all works of live, soldiers, police, traders, civil servants, young and old, men and women, infants and you name it, were being slaughtered all over Nigeria while Gowon and his lieutenants were busy shouting "one" Nigeria!

Our people were killed not only in the North but also in the West especially Lagos!

The people gathered and bestowed on Ojukwu the Powers to declare Biafra.

You guys make noise as if Ojukwu woke up one morning and declared Biafra! The Kaduna Nzeogwu coup was in 1966, Biafra was not declared till 1967.

Yet, all these are history! We are in the present.
We want Biafra and Biafra we shall get.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by cKaiser: 3:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
^ Go ahead and declare your Biafra as long as we dont see you in Ore

Or you dont force any South South state into it

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by SonOfEl(m): 3:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

mr man, do your homework properly. The asaba massacre, aba and nsukka air raid, etc, on civilians, not to mention, the starvation policy that decimated children in their millions, shows how satanic your pathetic gowon, wasted murtala, demented adekunle, and unfulfilled awo was! Oh i forgot, including a political failure called obj!
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by SonOfEl(m): 3:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
madam_oringo:

bigot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sheriff Dissolves Rivers PDP Exco, Inaugurates New Exco On Monday / Have You Seen A Queue As Long As This At A Fuel Station Before ?? / President Buhari To Attend Climate Change Summit In Poland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.