Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 (5442 Views)

Celebrations After The End Of Nigerian Civil War 1970(Pictures) / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 / Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 10:03am On Oct 25, 2013
tomakint:
....and where did you see me quoting 'debetmx' said this or that? Get well soon bro, the journey is still ahead and if I have the chance I may dig out ur old posts undecided

Answer the questions I raised and stop been mischievous.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by kettykings: 10:09am On Oct 25, 2013
43 years down memory lane, if only Awolowo knew the futility in the seizure of bank accounts owned by igbos, if he only knew igbos would buy off majority of property in Lekki, Festac, Gbagada, mile 2 , ojo , ojota all the indigenised companies has been run down through a combination of managerial incompetence and mediocrity ibadan the former capital of the Western region is now the dirtiest and most decrepit city in Nigeria, Nigeri's detroit. If only Gowon had foresight and knew that Jos and the Middle belt would one day be another middle east and Boko haram and fulani herdsmen would come for his people one day and make plateau and other middle belt areas ungovernable your guesses are as good as mine, Aburi would have been implemented to the letter and there would not have been a civil war.

Lost opportunities are presenting them selves again in the National conference and an Awolowo incarnate Tinubu is already boycotting the conference and insisting on the statusquo , cannot nigerians be reasonable for once and think about the future when they are gone what would be the fate of their people

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 10:49am On Oct 25, 2013
@ Litelov,

Dont compare America in 2001 and Northerner Nigeria in 1966. In any case the issues are inversely similar. Do you want to compare a police officer's training in America to Nigerian police officer's training. About three (3) weeks ago on the streets of Lagos I saw a police officer pointing a pistol @ a driver over a traffic offense. Police Officers who kill innocent and harmless Nigerians everyday. Imagine the case of 22 year old boy who was killed in Bayelsa State. The Police said the boy tried to disarm 3 Police Officers with AK-47.

Which Mr. Bello are you referring to? Is the Ahmadu Bello who had been shot by Major Nzeogwu? Every time you put up an argument you sound like the ibos. The ibos don't employ the Northerners yet you expect Sir Ahmadu Bello to employ ibo people. OK you can't deal with the fact that Sir Ahmadu Bello was not stupid.The ibos are the most self-centered group of people created by God. I would rather deal with a man who tells me from the beginning I stand no chance rather than a man who leads me on and he knows that the positions have been reserved for his own people. I thought you justified that the reason that the reason why they missed Zik was circumstantial and why Aguiyi Ironsi was not at home when they went for him. Even a 10 year old with be discerning more enough. The ibos started the coups out of their we must dominate and the pattern of killing of the first coup. Violence begets violence. When the cunning cantankerous coward, ojukwu sent troops to Lagos? for a tea party after the atrocities biafran soldiers had committed in the neutral Mid-western. Biafran had been the first to throw bombs in lagos at Palm Grove and Cinema area. The last time I check Gowon never stayed in Palm Grove and Cinema but in Dodan Barracks. ibos always the first but when others do theirs it is genocide and ethnic cleansing. The useless ojukwu who refused land corridor to enable to them feed his people. Yet our highly respected chinua achebe would justify such actions in his book after all their children never went hungry during the stu.pid war.

Where was Aguiyi Ironsi's mother from? Have you heard the name Olushola Saraki? Olushola Saraki is a Yoruba name but that man before he died always claimed he was a Northerner. Why? Politics

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by litelov: 10:51am On Oct 25, 2013
@debetmx

Thanks so much. Only a few questions. I know the Yoruba land has more major cities than Ibo land. I know Lagos is the greatest city in Nigeria and it is in the. Yoruba region. To support your claims, can u show me statistics showing the number of Yoruba that seek job in Ibo. I only suspect that most Nigerians go to Lagos and other big cities like Abuja and kanu to seek job. This is a safe assumption to make since even America, majority gravitate towards big cities like Los Angeles and new York. New York cannot blame witchita and refuse to hire people from witchita just because there is hardly any new Yorker in witchita. Are the yorubas and hausas seeking jobs in Ibo as much as ibos seeking jobs in Yoruba and Hausa land?

I know I have many Nigerians here in America. I have interviewed quite a few looking for jobs, they are usually Ibos and Yorubas. I have never met one housa here in America looking for job. Maybe they are not compitative.

From what I gathered from bello's speech. His isue was not that ibos don't hire hausas, his issue was that in jobs where there are no qualified hausas they will hire a non-nigerian expertrate until hausas are ready. The idea implies that there not a lot educated hausas and he will check the progress of other educated Nigerians untilled hausas are ready. This cannot be justified in any way.

More on the coup. There was an Hausa officer who met kaduna during the coup. Kaduna asked him, "are you with us?" Seeing that kaduna has a gun, the Hausa said you know I'm with you. During the revenge coup this man was speared eventhough he admitted having Supported the coup! Why was he speared? He was Hausa. Ojuku helped in foiling the coup, even Frederick forsyt wrote this in his book. Yet ojuku would have been killed if the revenge coup plotters had gotten to him. Kadunna by asking the Hausa "are u with us?" Showed that their killing was not based on ethnicity but on political alliance. In the revenge coup, I read, every Ibo in sight was shot irrespective of his political alliance. Their question was "are u Ibo?" Onece u answer yes, you are killed. Even if u are a child or pregnant woman.

To say that ojuku wanted confederation just because gowon was in power is just twixting history. Everybody knows that the ibos were being killed all over Nigeria, hence they wanted to pull out.

I guess the Danish guy who made the catoon mocking Mohammed was Ibo too. I know ibos were killed because of that too.

Nigerians hate ibos. I just hope that the yurobas will not join in this injustice.

1 Like

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 1:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ litelov

I appreciate your responses to my posts.

Yes Lagos is the major city in Nigeria and it's in Yoruba land. There are Yoruba people in ibo land but in the migratory nature of the ibos you find more ibos in Yoruba land than yorubas in ibo land although I have no statistics to back this up. Like the example I gave in my previous post of where the Abia State Government laid off Imo State indigines in their workforce. Yorubas know the folly of looking for jobs in ibo land because it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a Yoruba man to get a job in ibo land. Yorubas would rather go to the Northern region than go to ibo land because he knows the Northerners are more open and straight forward than ibo people.

The Northerners have the lowest literacy index in Nigeria. They mostly stay back and look for work in their home states or go to Abuja to look for jobs in to Federal parastatals which they have a better chance of getting than ibos and Yorubas because of the quota system. That makes it possible for Northerners who scores 15% to gain admission or jobs than an ibo who scores 80% or a Yoruba who scores 70% which are some of the only areas where I agree with chinua achebe in his book. Yes it breeds mediocrity.

I agree with you on Sir Ahmadu Bello's interview but I don't see how that will check the progress of other regions. Also I totally agree with him than the ibos want to monopolise everything. When Prof. Kenneth Dike was the Vice Chancellor of University of Ibadan (Yoruba land), there were about 120 ibo staff and less than 15 Yoruba staff. Kindly read Akintola's speech again carefully. When the expatriate GOC (Major Gen. Everald) of the Nigerian Army was leaving he recommended Brig. Babafemi Ogundipe (Yoruba) but the Government of the day went for seniority and chose Major Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi instead contrast that to the VC of the University of Ibadan, when they chose Prof. Kenneth Dike (ibo) and not Prof. Olubamiro (Yoruba) who was the most senior Nigerian Professor then. Why did use two different criteria which favoured the ibos?

On the Coup. You are Police Officer. Do you argue with a man who hands are on the trigger? Hassan Katsina never supported the coup in any way. Nzeogwu would have shot and killed Hassan Katina if he had said he not with them. The Northerner Officers' grouse with Katsina Hassan was that he had agreed to serve in Aguiyi Ironsi who they erroneously thought sanctioned the coup that had killed their leaders and senior Military Officers. Actually Hassan Katsina and Muhammadu Shuwa even had to run away from their troops for trying to stop the killing of ibos in July 1966. Fredrick Forsyth is a good friend of ojukwu so be discerning when you read his book on biafra. There were some officers who foiled the January 15, 1966 coup yet were been hounded during the July 29, 1966 coup. There was no political alliance in the January 15, 1966 coup. If there was any alliance it would be an ibo, ibo and ibo alliance. The coup plotters perfectly knew what they were doing. The same way the July 29, 1966 coup plotters knew only one thing; REVENGE. Actually the July 29, 1966 was more of a mutiny than a coup. Muritala Mohammed had actually told the other coup plotters to back down not knowing the Northerners NCOs in Abeokuta had set the ball rolling. On the killing of women and children is totally condemn-able. Like i mentioned earlier, Katsina Hassan and Muhammadu Shuwa who tried to stop the killing of ibos by their solidiers had to eventually run away to avoid been killed by them. The July 29, 1966 coup plotters could not get to ojukwu because of the responsible act of the Commander in Enugu, Lt. Colonel David Ogunewe who was able to convince the Ibo and Northerner Officers live together but ojukwu like obasanjo had said about the civil war, he was the only who put down the coup. ojukwu who himself had abandoned Enugu for Onitsha while he told Brig. Ogundipe to hang in there.

When the Niger Deltans wanted to pull out of the Eastern Region what did ojukwu and Aguiyi Ironsi? I sincerely need an answer from you.

I don't hate ibos. I only hate the " We are smart others are foolish" attitude of the ibos. Yoruba people are very educated, liberal and accommodating people. They do to us what they cannot do to the Northerners. That is why a prominent ibo son, Orji Uzor Kalu (former Governor of Abia State) said " Lagos is no man's land". Can he say Kano, Kaduna or Maiduguri is no man' land? I sincerely feel pity for the ibos for the suffering before, during and after the biafran war but anybody who calls ojukwu a hero would never get any pity from me.

2 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by cKaiser: 2:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
If you want to blackmail people with the "You hate Ibo line" then be my guest

I see the love Ibo showed others when they killed their leaders and spared theirs

We saw the love Ibo showed Midwesterners when Biafrans troops invaded their land molesting them

We saw the love Ibo people showed the Yorubas by bombing Lagos during the war

We saw the love Ibo soldiers showed Yoruba and Hausas by killing their premier and forgetting their own was alive.

You still havent explained why the Premier of West and North were killed and the Ibo premiers spared

Or why the Prime Minister was killed and the president spared

3 Likes

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by SonOfEl(m): 1:36am On Oct 26, 2013
cKaiser: If you want to blackmail people with the "You hate Ibo line" then be my guest

I see the love Ibo showed others when they killed their leaders and spared theirs

We saw the love Ibo showed Midwesterners when Biafrans troops invaded their land molesting them

We saw the love Ibo people showed the Yorubas by bombing Lagos during the war

We saw the love Ibo soldiers showed Yoruba and Hausas by killing their premier and forgetting their own was alive.

You still havent explained why the Premier of West and North were killed and the Ibo premiers spared

Or why the Prime Minister was killed and the president spared

it seems u have not being following this thread from the beginning, or worse still, you are being pathetic and adamant.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 26, 2013
kettykings: 43 years down memory lane, if only Awolowo knew the futility in the seizure of bank accounts owned by igbos, if he only knew igbos would buy off majority of property in Lekki, Festac, Gbagada, mile 2 , ojo , ojota all the indigenised companies has been run down through a combination of managerial incompetence and mediocrity ibadan the former capital of the Western region is now the dirtiest and most decrepit city in Nigeria, Nigeri's detroit. If only Gowon had foresight and knew that Jos and the Middle belt would one day be another middle east and Boko haram and fulani herdsmen would come for his people one day and make plateau and other middle belt areas ungovernable your guesses are as good as mine, Aburi would have been implemented to the letter and there would not have been a civil war.

Lost opportunities are presenting them selves again in the National conference and an Awolowo incarnate Tinubu is already boycotting the conference and insisting on the statusquo , cannot nigerians be reasonable for once and think about the future when they are gone what would be the fate of their people

Don't worry. When the fulanis wipe out Gowons village and burn down everything else in plateau state, Gowon will become wiser after 50 years.

As for Tinubu, he will end up politically paralyzed like Awo his godfather.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 26, 2013
kettykings: 43 years down memory lane, if only Awolowo knew the futility in the seizure of bank accounts owned by igbos, if he only knew igbos would buy off majority of property in Lekki, Festac, Gbagada, mile 2 , ojo , ojota all the indigenised companies has been run down through a combination of managerial incompetence and mediocrity ibadan the former capital of the Western region is now the dirtiest and most decrepit city in Nigeria, Nigeri's detroit. If only Gowon had foresight and knew that Jos and the Middle belt would one day be another middle east and Boko haram and fulani herdsmen would come for his people one day and make plateau and other middle belt areas ungovernable your guesses are as good as mine, Aburi would have been implemented to the letter and there would not have been a civil war.

Don't worry. When the fulanis wipe out Gowons village and burn down everything else in plateau state, Gowon will become wiser after 50 years.

Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by debetmx(m): 4:39pm On Oct 28, 2013
quid:

Like ojukwu, Gowon could care less if they wiped out Plateau State. His family is intact the way ojukwu's family was intact after the stu.pid war where thousands of ibos died of hunger. ojukwu and his property fighting children were all over fat while million of biafrans were dying of hunger.

Any compare Tinubu to Awolowo. Tinubu like ojukwu only has his only interest not the interest of the people.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 05, 2013
Crack-head revisionists all over this thread.
Re: video: Gen. Gowon Interviewed Soon After Biafra Surrenders In January 1970 by EzePromoe: 8:42am On Nov 05, 2013
T8ksy:

Yeah , what a great ibo hero he was - a war general who abandoned his troops on the battlefield and ran away to

safety in the middle of the night when confronted with imminent defeat!
Before you say further, ask yourself.
How did Ojukwu died, and what kind of burial was given to him? Can the same be said of Awolowo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“ONE NIGERIA Might Soon Be Plunged Into Another Biafra Vs Nigeria” - Etcetera / Photos: How Nnamdi Kanu Is Intimidating The Federal Government / Presidency Gives Reason As Pigeons Refuse Flying At Armed Force Remembrance Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.