Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals - Music/Radio (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals (76166 Views)

Acoustic Guitarist Needed / Nigerian Guitarist Simeon Djagbo Was Born Without Fingers And Palms (photos) / A Thread For Pianists: Amateurs, Intermediaries, Professionals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 8:12pm On Jun 01, 2016
HyDef:
As for me, I've been trying to expand my repertoire.

Almost perfect playing Always by Panic! At The Disco, meanwhile I can play Blackbird by the Beatles perfectly.

Learning the riff from I See Fire. Just need to smoothen it..

Learning the major scale. I suck at improvisation.

Nice thing you got going bro. Keep it up!

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by kilokeys(m): 7:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
guys .. i did a cover of Liberian girl.. michael jackson.. please check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9EYjQENdPQ

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nastydroid(m): 10:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
kilokeys:

embarassed when I go good like this too? Bro it is dope I love it
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 3:49pm On Jul 13, 2016
kilokeys:

Effortless. This is awesome bro!
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 10:36pm On Aug 17, 2016
Hmmmm.....observing
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by DammyOlu123(m): 11:53pm On Aug 17, 2016
kilokeys:

Wow. Just got around to watching this. Guy!!! shocked
Full marks.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by DammyOlu123(m): 12:03am On Aug 18, 2016
Hello guys. It's been a while anything has happened here o. kilokeys has thrown down. Anyone have any updates on their development? Any new material for our perusal?
I've just picked up guitar, after a hiatus. This time, I have a tutor taking me theory and other essentials. Hope to post something when I have some time.

TonySpike
Nastydroid
Elegbede205
jayriginal
mosjentle
HyDef

Oya, come out and play. smiley
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by kilokeys(m): 12:30am On Aug 18, 2016
DammyOlu123:
Hello guys. It's been a while anything has happened here o. kilokeys has thrown down. Anyone have any updates on their development? Any new material for our perusal?
I've just picked up guitar, after a hiatus. This time, I have a tutor taking me theory and other essentials. Hope to post something when I have some time.

TonySpike
Nastydroid
Elegbede205
jayriginal
mosjentle
HyDef

same here bro>>> if u are based in abuja, or have relatives, kids and family here >> interested in learning the guitar. holla me at 07084796868 whatsapp only>>>>
get 10% of the fee per referral per month.

check out my vid on youtube in the link below. thanks pple

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 4:58pm On Aug 19, 2016
Hello Everyone... Nice cover kilokeys...
Pls all I just started learning to play d guitar some couple of weeks ago,,,I have learnt d A,D,E chords
But I'm trying to switch between these chords fast enough,which is challenging
Pls I need tips and encouragement, anything to keep me going
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
cee001:
Hello Everyone... Nice cover kilokeys...
Pls all I just started learning to play d guitar some couple of weeks ago,,,I have learnt d A,D,E chords
But I'm trying to switch between these chords fast enough,which is challenging
Pls I need tips and encouragement, anything to keep me going

Nice one bro. You'll get there but it's a gradual process. Try to enjoy every stage. Here's a tip I learnt from YouTube when I was struggling to play G.

Place your fingers on the chord,

take it off completely, wait a sec or two

Place on the chord you want to switch to.

take it off, wait again

place on first chord.

Repeat loop.

You don't need to strum at first. Just place fingers, remove, place again. Do this a number of times, everytime you want to practice. You'll notice you'll get faster at switiching as time goes on.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2016
An0nimus:

Nice one bro. You'll get there but it's a gradual process. Try to enjoy every stage. Here's a tip I learnt from YouTube when I was struggling to play G.

Place your fingers on the chord,

take it off completely, wait a sec or two

Place on the chord you want to switch to.

take it off, wait again

place on first chord.

Repeat loop.

You don't need to strum at first. Just place fingers, remove, place again. Do this a number of times, everytime you want to practice. You'll notice you'll get faster at switiching as time goes on.
wow...will try that...thanks a million
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 9:55pm On Aug 19, 2016
cee001:
wow...will try that...thanks a million

Anytime chief. Feel free to ask anything here...if I can't assist, my ogas will.

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 1:45pm On Aug 24, 2016
DammyOlu123:

TonySpike
Nastydroid
Elegbede205
jayriginal
mosjentle
HyDef

I'm willing to upload as well but I will have to solve the issue of poor audio quality first. Im thinking of investing in a microphone for recording purposes.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 1:47pm On Aug 24, 2016
kilokeys:

check out my vid on youtube in the link below. thanks pple

Nice one bro, very nice indeed.

Hope youre doing alright?
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2016
Does anyone know of any person who builds guitars in Nigeria? I need one built to a specific design.

Something like this (note, that its an acoustic).

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Lero15(m): 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2016
jayriginal:
Does anyone know of any person who builds guitars in Nigeria? I need one built to a specific design.

Wow. Me likey.
Interested too.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by TonySpike: 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2016
jayriginal:

This guitar will have one hell of a pickup amplifier because it doesn't have a hollow resonator.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by kilokeys(m): 4:42am On Aug 25, 2016
jayriginal:

Nice one bro, very nice indeed.

Hope youre doing alright?
bro, hmmm
ill send you a message. thanks anyway

jay jay. i dey feel ur style too

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 1:14pm On Aug 25, 2016
TonySpike:

This guitar will have one hell of a pickup amplifier because it doesn't have a hollow resonator.

I believe the body is hollow so one should be able to play it even without plugging it in.

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by EbenzMedia9: 11:26am On Aug 26, 2016
AUGUST BADDEST PROMO FOR ALL ARTISTES

Record a song for #8000 and get free online promotion,hypes on facebook and twitter. And if you already have recorded songs you want to put online,we can help you put it on 12 sites for #8000 and you also get hypes on facebook and twitter. So hurry now before its too late. Promo ends by 31st of August,2016. For bookings and enquiries,call 07032617747.

You can also call us on 07032617747 for any of the following services;

¤ Music Promotion ( Caller tune, Radio/Tv promotion, Alaba mixtape/selection,interviews,Online promotion,hypes,etc

¤ Studio Configuration/Installation/System Formatting

¤ Purchase And Delivery Of Music Instruments/music studio equipments

¤ Song Writing

¤ Advert Placements

¤DJ Services

¤ Mixing and mastering

¤ Creation of beat or instrumental

¤DJ Jingles

¤ Photo Shot

¤ Video editing, Video shooting/Coverage

¤ Training on music production

¤ Training on any musical instrument of your choice

¤Voice Training

¤ Graphics/Art Cover

¤ Creation of artist page/business page,and all other entertainment services at very cheap and affordable prices you can't resist...We are here to render to you the best of quality service. All services are cheap and affordable. Try us and you'll be glad you did...
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 5:11pm On Sep 05, 2016
Guys I've learnt A,D,E,Am,Dm,Em,(C) chords and I can change @ least fairly between them....I still need to zero in on my C chord tho...will b taking on the G soonest...

The probs is I currently learn from the net and the beginner songs my tutor puts up do not relate to the Naija culture..

I want to learn Nigerian songs but unfortunately, we do not have the chord tabs of these songs online..

How can I go about this issue?
Will also love to be able to work out the chords of songs when I hear them,but that is proving quite difficult... Any tips? Thanks
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2016
cee001:
Guys I've learnt A,D,E,Am,Dm,Em,(C) chords and I can change @ least fairly between them....I still need to zero in on my C chord tho...will b taking on the G soonest...

The probs is I currently learn from the net and the beginner songs my tutor puts up do not relate to the Naija culture..

I want to learn Nigerian songs but unfortunately, we do not have the chord tabs of these songs online..

How can I go about this issue?
Will also love to be able to work out the chords of songs when I hear them,but that is proving quite difficult... Any tips? Thanks

Facing similar issue with the Nigerian material. If there was a Naija guitar YouTube channel (maybe there is and I haven't seen it). Thing is, you might need to get a teacher if you want to learn Naija stuff and grow faster. Getting one isn't free in most cases. Some can charge up to 10k a month or 10k for 3 months. You'd be super lucky to have someone (probably in church) create time and teach you for free.

To the last part, I'd say one step at a time. I can relate with wanting to be a badass almost immediately. It's like your mind is seeing you slithering through chords and fingerpicking styles while your body is here learning a simple song. Hurts every time. But take it one step at a time. (Listen to the Jordin Sparks song, it'll minister to you cheesy)

One more thing, do you know music theory? if no, then a lil music theory is needed. I believe it should help you with working out chords faster.

This link might be helpful too http://zachpinoguitar.com/avoid-sucking-as-a-self-taught-guitarist/

Keep pushin bro, it's a jeje suntin smiley
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 10:09am On Sep 08, 2016
An0nimus:

Facing similar issue with the Nigerian material. If there was a Naija guitar YouTube channel (maybe there is and I haven't seen it). Thing is, you might need to get a teacher if you want to learn Naija stuff and grow faster. Getting one isn't free in most cases. Some can charge up to 10k a month or 10k for 3 months. You'd be super lucky to have someone (probably in church) create time and teach you for free.

To the last part, I'd say one step at a time. I can relate with wanting to be a badass almost immediately. It's like your mind is seeing you slithering through chords and different fingerpicking styles effortlessly while your body is here learning a simple song. Hurts every time. But take it one step at a time. (Listen to the Jordin Sparks song, it'll minister to you cheesy)

One more thing, do you know music theory? if no, then a lil music theory is needed. I believe it should help you with working out chords faster.

This link might be helpful too http://zachpinoguitar.com/avoid-sucking-as-a-self-taught-guitarist/

Keep pushin bro, it's a jeje suntin smiley

Woah Bro,,thanks.really helpful piece. BTW I don't know music theory yet,I plan on getting around that soon.
Thanks again,as u said itz a jeje suntin grin

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 4:03pm On Sep 14, 2016
cee001 and An0nimus,

Scoring Nigerian songs isnt that difficult. It wont hurt to learn some basic theory first though as it will guide your playing through easier channels.

That said, do you know your Root 6 and Root 5 chords (for major, minor and dominant 7). If you dont, try and learn them, then also try and familiarize yourself with the caged system.

Once that is done, start with a simple Nigerian song (ie one that has a simple progression). As you gain proficiency, you can move to more complex songs. What you do is pick out the bass notes of the song and play the bass through the changes. Use only your 6th and fifth strings for this. Once you can play the bass notes (most likely the bass notes being played are the roots of the chords) its time to put the full chord on top and strum along. You will have to figure out if the chords are major, minor, or dominant.

For extra points, you should also do ear training. This will help greatly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 9:57am On Sep 15, 2016
jayriginal:
cee001 and An0nimus,

Scoring Nigerian songs isnt that difficult. It wont hurt to learn some basic theory first though as it will guide your playing through easier channels.

That said, do you know your Root 6 and Root 5 chords (for major, minor and dominant 7). If you dont, try and learn them, then also try and familiarize yourself with the caged system.

Once that is done, start with a simple Nigerian song (ie one that has a simple progression). As you gain proficiency, you can move to more complex songs. What you do is pick out the bass notes of the song and play the bass through the changes. Use only your 6th and fifth strings for this. Once you can play the bass notes (most likely the bass notes being played are the roots of the chords) its time to put the full chord on top and strum along. You will have to figure out if the chords are major, minor, or dominant.

For extra points, you should also do ear training. This will help greatly.

Thanks man, I'm currently working on this. It's been a little difficult getting the CAGED system but I believe I'll get it with time.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 8:11am On Sep 16, 2016
An0nimus:

Thanks man, I'm currently working on this. It's been a little difficult getting the CAGED system but I believe I'll get it with time.

You surely will get it.

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by sammolar1: 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2016
07063875458..... Add me to any guitar Whatsapp group
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 1:08am On Oct 07, 2016
Pls i need sth practical. Can someone tell me notes to play for a particular nigerian song? I know some music theories and i've crafted out some licks and solo on my own, but playing a nigerian gospel song is still a problem for me. Pls help.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 07, 2016
came accross this thread a year ago when i was still learning newly to playing guitar, i thought the thread was dead then, but am glad am seeing a revival.
i now know most of the basic chords like the GCDEm, A &Am chords and can play preferably any song of any progression on this.
problem is, am stock on this as i don't know what else or what stage to move next to, cause i dont have a tutor to guide me. initially when i first picked up the guitar, my goal and passion was to be able to play my favourite songs on the guitar. now that have archieved that i feel like its mission accomplished, but it has now become boring and i want to learn something new.(i play mostly strumming)
i will appreciate any suggestions on what next i should learn how to do with the guitar. sorry for the long post.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Lero15(m): 10:34am On Oct 08, 2016
jayriginal:

I understand the bass part as the root well. But this root 6 and 5 I don't understand. And then what is caged system please? Thanks.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Lero15(m): 10:39am On Oct 08, 2016
denkyw:
came accross this thread a year ago when i was still learning newly to playing guitar, i thought the thread was dead then, but am glad am seeing a revival.
i now know most of the basic chords like the GCDEm, A &Am chords and can play preferably any song of any progression on this.
problem is, am stock on this as i don't know what else or what stage to move next to, cause i dont have a tutor to guide me. initially when i first picked up the guitar, my goal and passion was to be able to play my favourite songs on the guitar. now that have archieved that i feel like its mission accomplished, but it has now become boring and i want to learn something new.(i play mostly strumming)
i will appreciate any suggestions on what next i should learn how to do with the guitar. sorry for the long post.

Check
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/playlist%3Flist%3DPL5CFB82966A2B6CDB&ved=0ahUKEwiJt7PS9crPAhWpA8AKHRMXDKMQFgglMAE&usg=AFQjCNEx_wIbtAhgiwuBcZExlPzbgLTBQQ&sig2=MdqhMNT-_Uo8G3J3qJPDBw

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Top Eight Sexiest Radio On Air Personalities(pics) / What Are You Listening To Right Now? / D'banj Fall In Love Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.