Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals - Music/Radio (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals (76098 Views)

Acoustic Guitarist Needed / Nigerian Guitarist Simeon Djagbo Was Born Without Fingers And Palms (photos) / A Thread For Pianists: Amateurs, Intermediaries, Professionals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
Lero15:

Check
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/playlist%3Flist%3DPL5CFB82966A2B6CDB&ved=0ahUKEwiJt7PS9crPAhWpA8AKHRMXDKMQFgglMAE&usg=AFQjCNEx_wIbtAhgiwuBcZExlPzbgLTBQQ&sig2=MdqhMNT-_Uo8G3J3qJPDBw
thanks, will check out that tonight

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
FarmTech:
Pls i need sth practical. Can someone tell me notes to play for a particular nigerian song? I know some music theories and i've crafted out some licks and solo on my own, but playing a nigerian gospel song is still a problem for me. Pls help.

You sound like you're past newbie stage. What's the name of the song, maybe someone here could be of help.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 7:46pm On Oct 08, 2016
denkyw:
came accross this thread a year ago when i was still learning newly to playing guitar, i thought the thread was dead then, but am glad am seeing a revival.
i now know most of the basic chords like the GCDEm, A &Am chords and can play preferably any song of any progression on this.
problem is, am stock on this as i don't know what else or what stage to move next to, cause i dont have a tutor to guide me. initially when i first picked up the guitar, my goal and passion was to be able to play my favourite songs on the guitar. now that have archieved that i feel like its mission accomplished, but it has now become boring and i want to learn something new.(i play mostly strumming)
i will appreciate any suggestions on what next i should learn how to do with the guitar. sorry for the long post.

Got stuck at this stage for yearssss, feel ashamed even saying it cheesy. Can you play barre chords?
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
An0nimus:

You sound like you're past newbie stage. What's the name of the song, maybe someone here could be of help.
songs like "how excellent is ur name ohh lord",
”there is sth that makes me come into ur presence, my helper"
" am walking in power, am walking in miracle, I live a life of favor, 'cause I know who I am"
yes I've past newbie stage. now in level 101 of intermediate stage.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 11:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
denkyw:
came accross this thread a year ago when i was still learning newly to playing guitar, i thought the thread was dead then, but am glad am seeing a revival.
i now know most of the basic chords like the GCDEm, A &Am chords and can play preferably any song of any progression on this.
problem is, am stock on this as i don't know what else or what stage to move next to, cause i dont have a tutor to guide me. initially when i first picked up the guitar, my goal and passion was to be able to play my favourite songs on the guitar. now that have archieved that i feel like its mission accomplished, but it has now become boring and i want to learn something new.(i play mostly strumming)
i will appreciate any suggestions on what next i should learn how to do with the guitar. sorry for the long post.

start learning the major and minor scale for soloing. also learn the cycle of fifth that tells u the sharps in a scale. guitar lesson world.com
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 12:12am On Oct 09, 2016
FarmTech:

songs like "how excellent is ur name ohh lord",
”there is sth that makes me come into ur presence, my helper"
" am walking in power, am walking in miracle, I live a life of favor, 'cause I know who I am"
yes I've past newbie stage. now in level 101 of intermediate stage.

@bolded that's great man cool

With bar chords and 5th and 6th root notes it should be possible to strum these songs. See this quick tutorial jayriginal shared.

Scoring Nigerian songs isnt that difficult. It wont hurt to learn some basic theory first though as it will guide your playing through easier channels.

That said, do you know your Root 6 and Root 5 chords (for major, minor and dominant 7). If you dont, try and learn them, then also try and familiarize yourself with the caged system.

Once that is done, start with a simple Nigerian song (ie one that has a simple progression). As you gain proficiency, you can move to more complex songs. What you do is pick out the bass notes of the song and play the bass through the changes. Use only your 6th and fifth strings for this. Once you can play the bass notes (most likely the bass notes being played are the roots of the chords) its time to put the full chord on top and strum along. You will have to figure out if the chords are major, minor, or dominant.

For extra points, you should also do ear training. This will help greatly.

Hope this helps but if not, I'll see which of the above songs I can get the notes and share here.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 9:35am On Oct 09, 2016
An0nimus:

@bolded that's great man cool

With bar chords and 5th and 6th root notes it should be possible to strum these songs. See this quick tutorial jayriginal shared.

Hope this helps but if not, I'll see which of the above songs I can get the notes and share here.

Thanks I'll check it out. But pls still share the notes of any song u know.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 3:32pm On Oct 09, 2016
FarmTech:

Thanks I'll check it out. But pls still share the notes of any song u know.

Ok, This is what I got for Sinach's 'Chosen generation'.

Key C Pretty simple this one, hope it's what you're looking for.

F......................C
We are a chosen generation
G............................................Dm Em
Called forth to show His excellence
F.........................C
All I require for life, God has given me
G..........................Dm Em
And I know who I am

[Repeat]

This is basic but should cover the song. The babas can add the string gymnastics grin

I used the 5th and 6th root notes to arrive at the above. To get the chords on other keys, you'll have to transpose.

Edit: Don't mind the dots, NL doesn't allow for much spacing between texts.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2016
FarmTech:

start learning the major and minor scale for soloing. also learn the cycle of fifth that tells u the sharps in a scale. guitar lesson world.com
that's a very nice suggestion, after watching that liberian girl cover by kilokeys, i fell in love with it. i believe that's my next calling...thanks!.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
An0nimus:

Got stuck at this stage for yearssss, feel ashamed even saying it cheesy. Can you play barre chords?
no bro, have not seen a song that has barre chords yet, i learnt most of the chords i know because they were part of the songs i played, if you can suggest a song for me that can expose me to bar chords, i will pick up from there. thanks
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 4:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
denkyw:
no bro, have not seen a song that has barre chords yet, i learnt most of the chords i know because they were part of the songs i played, if you can suggest a song for me that can expose me to bar chords, i will pick up from there. thanks

Change the F you play in songs to a barred F. You can google simple barre chords songs too. I found this link http://www.guitarplayerbox.com/one/barre/chord/songs/

I'd recommend reading or watching videos on what barre chords are about before learning them.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
An0nimus:

Change the F you play in songs to a barred F. You can google simple barre chords songs too. I found this link http://www.guitarplayerbox.com/one/barre/chord/songs/

I'd recommend reading or watching videos on what barre chords are about before learning them.
thanks, this is exactly the kind of guidance i need

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by EbenzMedia: 7:14pm On Oct 09, 2016
BONANZA! BONANZA!! BONANZA!!

Record a song for #8000 which includes mixing and mastering with quality production guaranteed and get free online promotion with massive hypes on facebook and twitter. Bonanza ends soon. Contact 08034361384 for enquiries.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2016
denkyw:

What you need to do next is pick out a few guitar players in the genre you like and listen to them. You will surely hear some challenging stuff and that will keep you going for a while. Rinse and repeat.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 9:09am On Oct 10, 2016
Lero15:

I understand the bass part as the root well. But this root 6 and 5 I don't understand. And then what is caged system please? Thanks.

A root 6 chord is one that has the root on the 6th (lowest string). A root 5 chord has its root on the 5th chord.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 7:18pm On Oct 10, 2016
An0nimus:

F......................C
And I know who I am

[Repeat]

This is basic but should cover the song. The babas can add the string gymnastics grin

I used the 5th and 6th root notes to arrive at the above. To get the chords on other keys, you'll have to transpose.

Thanks a lot. I'll lk into it. SB borrowed my guitar.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Lero15(m): 7:23pm On Oct 10, 2016
jayriginal:

A root 6 chord is one that has the root on the 6th (lowest string). A root 5 chord has its root on the 5th chord.

Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by jayriginal: 8:18am On Oct 11, 2016

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
An0nimus:

F......................C
And I know who I am

[Repeat]

pls can u explain more? what is the strumming pattern to use or is it solo.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 1:38am On Oct 18, 2016
FarmTech:

Didn't come up with any specific strum pattern. I just played along as I sang.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2016
An0nimus:

Didn't come up with any specific strum pattern. I just played along as I sang.

pls can u upload a recording?
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by Rung: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2016
FarmTech:

Click "Strum" on this page
http://chords.tv/sinach-i-know-who-i-am-chords/

It will show strumming pattern.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 12:46pm On Oct 19, 2016
Rung:

Click "Strum" on this page
http://chords.tv/sinach-i-know-who-i-am-chords/

Thank you.

My chord guess wasn't that bad lol. It's same as the one on Capo 1 cheesy

FarmTech, I hope Rung's post helps (and replaces the requested recording cheesy). You may need a capo to play as the original song sounds. Playing without a capo should do fine if you just want to have fun. If you don't have a capo, you can make one.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by cee001(m): 7:39am On Oct 20, 2016
An0nimus:

. If you don't have a capo, you can make one.

Cheers.

how please
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 10:58am On Oct 20, 2016
cee001:
how please

Short pencil and two rubber bands.

Put the pencil over fret you wish to capo and use the rubber bands to hold it in place. Any pencil length should do the trick but shorter ones just look better.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by FarmTech(m): 12:34am On Oct 21, 2016
Rung:

Click "Strum" on this page http://chords.tv/sinach-i-know-who-i-am-chords/
tnks very much. I'll check it out. @anonimus, tnks for that brilliant idea.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by EHI9ICE(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2016
An0nimus:

Short pencil and two rubber bands.

Put the pencil over fret you wish to capo and use the rubber bands to hold it in place. Any pencil length should do the trick but shorter ones just look better.

Bro i salute you.I just got a Guitar(2 months old) and I'm tired of just staring at it everyday.I need help! Please!!!
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 10:46am On Oct 27, 2016
EHI9ICE:

Bro i salute you.I just got a Guitar(2 months old) and I'm tired of just staring at it everyday.I need help! Please!!!

I wish I knew the best way to start. When I started, I was told to place my hands on the first four frets and play down.

Something like this

You press the finger 1 on the string and pluck, then 2 pluck, same for 3 and 4. After that you move to the lower string and repeat process until you get to the last string.

I think the aim was to build calluses (the strong skin at the fingertips of guitarist) and flex those fingers. Building calluses might be a bit painful at first but you'll be fine.

AND, I was taught the name of the strings. Knowing the strings is very important. Use any of the mnemonics below or make one you can remember easily.

So there's no one way to start. Others should have better ways.

Personally, I ended up building calluses by learning a simple song. Do remember that you won't become a pro in one day or one month sef cheesy. One step at a time.

Hope this helped.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by EHI9ICE(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2016
An0nimus:

I wish I knew the best way to start. When I started, I was told to place my hands on the first four frets and play down.

Something like this

You press the finger 1 on the string and pluck, then 2 pluck, same for 3 and 4. After that you move to the lower string and repeat process until you get to the last string.

I think the aim was to build calluses (the strong skin at the fingertips of guitarist) and flex those fingers. Building calluses might be a bit painful at first but you'll be fine.

AND, I was taught the name of the strings. Knowing the strings is very important. Use any of the mnemonics below or make one you can remember easily.

Personally, I ended up building calluses by learning a simple song. Do remember that you won't become a pro in one day or one month sef cheesy. One step at a time.

Hope this helped.

Thanks bro! I am practicing it already! Please 'mention' me to give me d next step.Make i go continue my practice.THANKS.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by EHI9ICE(m): 8:46pm On Oct 27, 2016
An0nimus:

Something like this

Hope this helped.

Ayyaaaff finish dat step bro.Waiting 4 ur next instruction.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by DammyOlu123(m): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2016
EHI9ICE:

Ayyaaaff finish dat step bro.Waiting 4 ur next instruction.

Lool. Good job. But you don't just 'finish' practicing o. It's continuous. As regular as you can muster. Even guitar pros still practice. So, including what teacher gave you up there, I suggest you start learning open chords. (C, D, Em, etc.). Just Google the chord, to get the shape, and learn to play it. Keep practicing.
Re: A thread for acoustic guitarist: beginners,amateurs and professionals by An0nimus: 12:40am On Oct 28, 2016
DammyOlu123:

Lool. Good job. But you don't just 'finish' practicing o. It's continuous. As regular as you can muster. Even guitar pros still practice. So, including what teacher gave you up there, I suggest you start learning open chords. (C, D, Em, etc.). Just Google the chord, to get the shape, and learn to play it. Keep practicing.

lol Teacher ke cheesy

Ehi9ice well done but as he said, keep practicing the above and open chords. Search guitar lessons on YouTube. You'll see many teachers, pick one you like the style and follow the videos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Top Eight Sexiest Radio On Air Personalities(pics) / What Are You Listening To Right Now? / D'banj Fall In Love Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.