Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,067 members, 7,828,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" (59074 Views)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help / Marketing Or Operations, Which Is More Challenging In Banking? / Civil Engineering Vs Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 8:12am On Dec 10, 2009
Wallie:

As someone who has worked on things considered “black magic” in the engineering world, I can tell you electrical engineering problems are as difficult as they come.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". - Arthur C. Clarke "Profiles of The Future" 1961 (Clarke's third law)
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Wallie(m): 3:25pm On Dec 10, 2009
AjanleKoko:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". - Arthur C. Clarke "Profiles of The Future" 1961 (Clarke's third law)

Hmmm, akika:-)

PS: I'm assuming akika means "well said" and hopefully not "oje". Great quote!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Cockpitboy(m): 11:28am On Jan 07, 2010
mehn, i'm impressed, we've got more Engineers on this line than medics, hoping medics would hit this topic harder,
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2010
Cockpitboy:

mehn, i'm impressed, we've got more Engineers on this line than medics, hoping medics would hit this topic harder,

That should give you a fair indication of who's really challenged, and who's blowing their trumpet!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by lekside44(m): 1:44pm On Jan 20, 2010
well, you guys, i don't thing any course is more difficult than the other. once you are above the average intelligent guy and more focus, i think anybody can graduate in any course. the main question is are you really interested in your course of study? i was once offered an opportunity to study medicine even on scholarship level, i simply refuse, not because i cannot withstand the academic stress, but i hate hospital environment which makes me sick when i go there. i like multimedia a lot and that was why i went the way of electronics.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by jaybee3(m): 2:14pm On Jan 20, 2010
^^
and u think averange intelligence can cut it with quantum physics?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2010
jay bee:

^^
and u think averange intelligence can cut it with quantum physics?

Una don come again.
Like we have that many Nigerian quantum phycisists?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by jaybee3(m): 5:13pm On Jan 20, 2010
What r u saying chairman? is your sarcasm at it again? lol
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 6:44pm On Jan 20, 2010
jay bee:

What r u saying chairman? is your sarcasm at it again? lol

cool cool

No offence, jay bee.
But seriously. Just how many Nigerian quantum physicists are there?
Not talking about physics grads o. People who actually have graduate degrees or research degrees in quantum physics, who work in fancy places like CERN and all that. I doubt there are too many. Many of the Nigerians I have heard of are more into theoretical physics.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by jaybee3(m): 11:14am On Jan 21, 2010
AjanleKoko:

cool cool

No offence, jay bee.
But seriously. Just how many Nigerian quantum physicists are there?
Not talking about physics grads o. People who actually have graduate degrees or research degrees in quantum physics, who work in fancy places like CERN and all that. I doubt there are too many. Many of the Nigerians I have heard of are more into theoretical physics.
Not a lot chairman but my comment was directed at the assertion that above average intelligence can cut it in whatever profession they choose.
There are some courses reserved only for the best brains
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by candylips(m): 11:31am On Jan 21, 2010
wetin dey quantum physics. no be maths.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by lekside44(m): 10:54am On Jan 22, 2010
candylips:

wetin dey quantum physics. no be maths.
quantum physic is not mathematics, it is an aspect of physic which dealt with max planck postulate and albert eistein theory which explains phenomenon which cannot be explained using isaac newtons classical physic equations
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by candylips(m): 2:08pm On Jan 22, 2010
but majority of what you work with is purely mathematical
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by lekside44(m): 8:30pm On Jan 22, 2010
@AJANLEKOKO,
   in your earlier post, you said
AJANLEKOKO:

Globally, medicine is lifelong learning and training. Engineering is not.
i totally disagree. this seems to be so only in nigeria. during my argument on electrical, i did stress this point. many inventions and discoveries are been made every year. this you will find in journals, publications and engineering magazines. many engineers feels independent after their graduation from school. they feels they are done with reading , not knowing that they have just started learning. we all should see school as a training ground to the challenges ahead. i have been to the national library and seen say a publication on the latest discoveries on fluid mech. for say 1972. these publications are far more advanced than what we learn t in our school curriculum.  a typical graduate engineer  is meant to get a copy of these discoveries, digest them and applied them to his field of study. in nigeria today, including in our industries, little or no calculation is made except say the civil/structural eng.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2010
LOL@Lekside,

I even have to laugh about any so-called Nigerian 'engineer' defending the profession on this Nairaland.
We no even dey the reckoning for any global roll call of engineers. At least the ones who are, are not writing stuff on Nairaland. They're probably not even associated with Nigeria. Like the guy building Iraq's railway.

Whatever is happening in the field of engineering, Nigerians are not a part of it. Apart from school wey we dey go all over the world, we have nothing at all to show for it.
Nigerians who have been part of major scientific or engineering breakthroughs can be counted on the tips of one's fingers.
yet we have a number of renowned medical professors, such as the Adeniyi-Jones, Giwa-Osagies, Osotimehims, Osuntokuns, etcs, of this world. They are published in medical journals, and are recognised by their communities.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by debosky(m): 4:04pm On Jan 23, 2010
koko chaser be careful oh.

Is it because we aren't blowing trumpets here? If I start listing my publications you go begin respect naija engineers. grin

Besides, there is far more room to 'publish' in the medical field, as these are often not related to medicine practice per se, but more on public health and epidemiological studies which have more volume. African medics are more pronounced in these areas due to the multitude of research grants and sheer studies done on medical issues in Africa.

However, the issues regarding Engineering in Africa are not primarily technology or research issues, but simply funding matters or lack of expertise.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by AjanleKoko: 7:23am On Jan 25, 2010
debosky:

koko chaser be careful oh.

Is it because we aren't blowing trumpets here? If I start listing my publications you go begin respect naija engineers. grin

Oya list them grin grin grin cool cool

debosky:

However, the issues regarding Engineering in Africa are not primarily technology or research issues, but simply funding matters or lack of expertise.

True that. More of funding matters.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by lekside44(m): 9:59am On Jan 25, 2010
coming back home, i think the problem with engineering in this country is the organization of the profession. COREN and NSE has a lot of work to do. the educational engineering monitoring group of these country of our dear country (NUC, NABTEB, )have more to do. for example, in 2008, i happened to be at the waec centre for practicals in metal work which was held at fed technical college akoka. to my surprise, most of the machines, vice and even work piece dedicated for the examination are what we considered as scarp in my days in the technical school. i wondered what these people are even examining in the first case. engineering in this country is practiced chaotically. every industry i have had the opportunity to visit are not practicing engineering as it should be done. even thou they are producing, they have no standards which they are following, an the visiting COREN/NSE member just visit literally to have ghana must go bags and not see if things are done the way they ought to
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by toyecoach(m): 6:27pm On Jan 25, 2010
Engineering Vs Medicine? Why the Debate!

Let's face it--the economic news during the past few months has not been good. Unemployment is rising, and many blue-chip industries are struggling. If you are concerned about your future, you'll want to position yourself in a career with long-term prospects and the potential for growth.

Discover the Fastest Growing Careers in 2010.Visit;www.eclatcareer..com.Today!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by kid135: 1:30am On Nov 10, 2010
i don't really have knowledge of the two fields but i know that math (in are case engineering) has endless possibilities of outcomes while medicine basically just focuses on the same stuff and even if they faced a new diseases engineers are the ones that would have to find a cure and medics will only need to apply this (I'm not sure if my theory is accurate undecided)
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by sammyart: 7:07am On Nov 10, 2010
Medicine is challengiing. Imagine being woken up at 2am on a cold rainy day having slept by 10pm. To perform an emergency life saving operation dat would last 4 hours. You finish 6am and expected to resume work 8am and function optimally!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by lekside44(m): 8:28pm On Nov 10, 2010
sammyart:

Medicine is challengiing. Imagine being woken up at 2am on a cold rainy day having slept by 10pm. To perform an emergency life saving operation dat would last 4 hours. You finish 6am and expected to resume work 8am and function optimally!
its a pity many of you have no real industrial experience. the only watch word for most company is production and output. if you are a engineer with a company, your life is modeled around that machine. in a case of breakdown, you are expected to be on the machine trying to put it in order. i remembered one senerio when i was still with nestle food. the machine which produces the only machine which produces the sachet machine got broken down and we had to reset the cam system which automates the machine. my boss *the foreman spent 3 days on the machine while i work from morning to evening, no break and doing extra hours of overtime. in those days, i leave for work 5 am and returns nothing earlier than 7pm on normal days.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Tarzan2009: 11:08am On Feb 08, 2011
If you don't have experience in neither professions, pls don't  comment here. Here is my two cents: Medicine is more rigorous and challenging in Nigeria than engineering. And its the other way round in U.S. I was an engineering student(third yr) in Nigeria before leaving the country to attend CU Boulder. Back in Nigeria, I know few of my friends in engineering who passed their exams with cheating, bribing professors or taking easy way out. Today they are working for SHELL OIL and NNPC.  Now, in U.S, don't know about other countries, engineering in U.S is no joke, GOD! THERE IS NO EASY WAY OUT, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE CHEATING. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. YOU MUST USE YOUR BRAIN.  If you doubt what I am saying, pls don't argue with me, simply call Engr. Arthur Eze( received mechanical engineering undergraduate from University of California, Berkeley in 1976) and others.One of my friends who was a pretty good student in Nigeria came to join me here in my sophomore yr, he spent 4 years here with no advancement, was placed on suspension and had to go back home to finish in Nigeria. I warned him about this before coming here. He comes from a wealthy family and he had wanted to get an engineering degree from U.S as a prestige or a way of building up a good resume for future political appointment in Nigeria some day. A very serious student with drive, doesn't think about his father's wealth but he couldn't cut it. I understand this is anecdotal but I am pretty sure you will hear similar stories. Have you ever asked yourself why there are only few Nigerians with  U.S undergraduate  degrees in engineering? 

Now, Medicine in U.S is also challenging, no easy way out also  but by comparison to  Nigeria,  medicine in Nigeria is challenging and far more rigorous. Medical schools in Nigeria is one profession I can tell you is 90% free of cheating or easy way out. Other fields, including engineering is not as rigorous, and most graduates graduated by bribing professors, cheating and not using their brain.

Back in my junior year in engineering(U.S), I know of few friends who left engineering to study medicine. They all called and told me that this poo is easy. My point is, whatever you do if you are not science and math grounded from high school(secondary school), please don't come to U.S to study engineering. I repeat don't argue this with me, simply call one of your friends who studied engineering in U.S and inquire from them. I am talking about undergraduate not masters or phD. I was a pretty brilliant student  before I left Nigeria. I attended Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja. I bet you all know Gregory Ugwi, the guy with the highest JAMB score in 2002, he was my classmate. Whenever you see him, ask him the only guy who trounced him in SSCE in 2002.  I wish I could give out my full name, and  he(Gregory) would vouch on my behalf on my academic aptitude. This is just to give you guys my academic background. Engineering is very rigorous in U.S, I don't know why it was structured that way. It would be worthwhile to review it, the stress and the curriculum is just too rigorous!
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by daviscoal(m): 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2011
Pls if i want 2 study chemical or mechanical engineering in Nigeria, which Nigerian university can u recommend 4 me.I have been thinking of Federal university of technology Akure.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by daviscoal(m): 1:19pm On Feb 12, 2011
Pls if i want 2 study chemical or mechanical engineering in Nigeria, which Nigerian university can u recommend 4 me.I have been thinking of Federal university of technology Akure.
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Tarzan2009: 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2011
With respect to the guy who asked, which university would I recommend. Here is what I had found about Nigeria, any university is good and acceptable to the workforce as long as it isn't private and you graduated with first class or second class upper. A graduate of Federal University of Technology Akure with first class honors is favorable and has better chances of getting a job than a graduate of any of the best federal universities in the country with second-class upper or lower honors. So, what is important is academic excellence. Nigeria is one country that treats its exceptional graduates with dignity and reward, with respect to getting a good paying job after graduation. This  is from experience, I know friends in my secondary school  days who came from extremely poor family, some I had to admit I had to support financially during our school days. However, these kids did well, very well in university(engineering to be exact), four of them graduated with first class honors and are today RICH YOUNG GUYS in Abuja. This is what I called hard work! Absolute hard work, it pays off big time.

Read this thread(https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-388073.64.html) and you will have a pretty good understanding of what I am talking about, 99.99999999% of all first class students will always be successful in life!

1 Like

Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by fernandoc(m): 3:25pm On Jun 05, 2013
Na Who cause confusion btwn all these ITKs?
Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" by Greatken007(m): 12:55am On Jun 09, 2013
ONE OF THE FASTEST MEANS TO TEST MADNESS IS TO TRY LAPLACE TRANSFORMATION

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inner Galaxy Steel Company, Abia: Modern Day Slavery In The Hands Of The Chinese / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar / How Much Does Shoprite Pay Its Employees?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.