Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,603 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN (39217 Views)

Change: World Now Listens When Nigeria Speaks (Photo) / Caption This Photo, World Now Listen When Nigeria Speaks (CHANGE) ??? / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by pazienza(m): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2013
Donjazzy12:
GOOD,
That somebody caused you bodily harm does not concern anybody else. It is not anybody's problem but yours in your oblique thinking.
The case of pedophilia with a parent should also not be any body's problem. How does it really affect the government? Why set an age of consent? What if the child actually wants to sleep with his father or mother, why should the government interfere on the child's rights?
People sniff cocaine in their private residents and yet the government bans it? why?
Why does the government harp about substance abuse? doesn't the citizen have the right to take exactly what he wants?
WHY IS THE GOVERNMENT INTERESTED IN YOUR LIFESTYLE AS AN INDIVIDUAL?

Somebody that caused you harm without your consent, is every body's business, even that of the government, cos you never gave the individual consent to do that.
But if you go to WWE and sign a consent form to get battered, it's nobody's business, since you gave consent.

Because we know that at certain age brackets, an individual psychological development is not yet developed enough to make some important life decisions, it is the function of the government to protect these individuals, until they are developed enough to make such decisions, that's why a child cannot be allowed to sleep with the father.

Cocaine is a drug of addiction, it renders addicts uselees social misfits, incapable of being part of the country work force, and worst still, such individuals are prone to crimes, so are not a danger to just themselves but also the larger population. Since the protection of the larger population is in the hands of the govt. any responsible govt. will take appropriate measure to protect them, and doing this involves fighting against drugs.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

If they are of the same "nature", how come the Western media tend to refuse the other tags with "homosexual"?

How come the homosexual groups tend not to use the term "homosexual"?
grin
Sagamite:

You are a person!

If they are of the same "nature", how come the Western media tend to refuse the other tags with "homosexual"?

How come the homosexual groups tend not to use the term "homosexual"?

gringringringrin you are really funny.. Is it expedient that they must use the homosexual word before you can justify their Cause.. That is very trivial and does not change anything
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by manny4life(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2013
Sagamite:

What he was doing was the useless tactics I have seen of pro-homosexual people thinking they can stop/suppress/reduce others arguments against homosexuality by tagging them as closet-homosexuals.

I beg to differ, I can't speak for him, however, some people I've interacted with, or read about who are staunch anti-gay usually exhibit homosexual tendencies. Again, these are people who I've seen or read about.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by pazienza(m): 8:38pm On Oct 24, 2013
Beync:
The act itself is unnatural. Just look @ the way u r created as a man and the way a woman is created u'll know it's normal to have relation with the opposite sex and not same.
Sexual relationship was originally designed to take place between a man and a woman and that is the only means thru which humans re procreate.

What do you produce thru homosexuality?
Disgusting, isn't it?
An act you are not proud of in public and before your family. Something u secretly indulge in knowing it'll be repugnant to another sight or ear that hears it.

Aww! The devil is really smiling seeing people are promoting his idea.

So, heterosexual sex is all about procreation? maybe that will explain why condoms and other forms of contraceptives are multi million dollars market.

Sex is more about pleasure than anything else. Sex is not a must for procreation, not in this era of scientific breakthroughs in Obstetrics and gynaecology.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
ccollins: grin

gringringringrin you are really funny.. Is it expedient that they must use the homosexual word before you can justify their Cause.. That is very trivial and does not change anything

You are just too thick!

Go back again and think about it.

Maybe you will have another Eureka moment.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
manny4life:

I beg to differ, I can't speak for him, however, some people I've interacted with, or read about who are staunch anti-gay usually exhibit homosexual tendencies. Again, these are people who I've seen or read about.

Some people?

What proportion of them?

0.03541%?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by wman(m): 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2013
Pazienza I swear I'll buy you two bottles of your favourite drink. You too make sense.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by pazienza(m): 8:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
Donjazzy, that your medical arguement against homosexualism had been debunked with superior argument by pro homosexual people on this forum in one of the many homosexual threads on this forum, even sagamite was floored in that thread, i will look for that thread and post the link here. *grins*
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ChiSun27(m): 9:00pm On Oct 24, 2013
speeder: This reminds me of what Mugabe told Obama;

Mugabe to Obama: "if you want h0m0sexuality in my country, let me marry you first."

This nails it.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by kraftyiyk: 9:56pm On Oct 24, 2013
[b][/b]I STILL FIND IT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE WESTERN WORLD WISHES TO BENEFIT BY SPREADING THIS USELESS ACT, IF THIS WESTERN LEADERS ARE SO KEEN ON SPREADING HOMOSEXUALLITY, LET THEM LEAD BY EXAMPLE, BY DIVORCING THEIR WIFE,S AND GETTING MARRIED TO BY GAY GUYS...FOOOOLS.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Beync(f): 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2013
ccollins:

Hmm, sweetie... Like I said, you have no intellectual depth of argument to bring justice to this world wide phenomenon because you still come from a religious view which even has its black sides coupled with its controversy. Also why mention the devil,if that is the only idea that he has,the world would have been a far better place.
it will be intellectual cowardness to embrace what ever foolish human right the wild west civilisation is choking thru ur throat. In as much as we welcome civilisation, we are not foolish adherent of every bags and baggages of civilisation at the detriment of normal norms and values of the society.
And no, devil will never make the world a better place because very soon he'll be thrown into bottomless pit. He is just looking for disciples like u to go down with. But hey, this is the time left for u to repent.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 10:32pm On Oct 24, 2013
pazienza: Donjazzy, that your medical arguement against homosexualism had been debunked with superior argument by pro homosexual people on this forum in one of the many homosexual threads on this forum, even sagamite was floored in that thread, i will look for that thread and post the link here. *grins*

B'itch, are you reetarded? grin
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2013
The thing is, I just don't get why it bothers people so much. If you're secure in your shell as someone who is living right, why do you have to project your lifestyle on others. I'm not gay and the closest I've come to enjoying such is teenage por.n consumption watching lesbos. But I don't see why gay people should bother me in the slightest.

I've had an encounter with someone I knew intimately. He was a kinsman introduced by a cousin. I was a 17-year-old first year student at UNN and I wasn't ready to move into the empty hostels (most students hadn't resumed for the semester). He offered I could stay with him for the night. I remember it was a cold harmattan night in December. At first, I had wanted to sleep on his thick, soft rug but he offered we could share his fairly small mattress. Long story short, I woke to see him fidgeting around nervously in the middle of the night as I caught him touching me inappropriately (he claimed he saw some big spider on me). Strangely, he repeated it again and I simply moved to the rug and slept off. The next morning was very awkward and I just packed up and moved to the empty hostels. He avoided me a lot after that on campus - even when I tried talking to him.

I felt no real anger at the whole experience. Just sympathy at someone who obviously had deeply etched issues that he knows he can't talk about with his friends or family. The whole gay issue isn't as simplistic as made out. For many, it's just a choice and lifestyle. For others, it's a genuine hormonal disposition, where their body chemistry dictates what they feel and they can't force themselves to feel different. You can't purport to understand it if you've never felt it. Some are even transgenders with both male and female sex organs and a skewed hormonal balance. What do you suggest their sexuality should be?

I couldn't care less if everyone on my street were gay (maybe it would inhibit Nigeria's overpopulation) if it meant I'd get uninterrupted power supply and my roads are tarred and clean and the crime rate and insecurity is down, and inflation is checked and unemployment is tackled and the systemic rot and rabid corruption pervading every sector of the country is eradicated. Why on earth should 2 men humping each other or 2 women eating each other out have any relevance to me?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 10:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi: The thing is, I just don't get why it bothers people so much. If you're secure in your shell as someone who is living right, why do you have to project your lifestyle on others. I'm not gay and the closest I've come to enjoying such is teenage por.n consumption watching lesbos. But I don't see why gay people should bother me in the slightest.

I've had an encounter with someone I knew intimately. He was a kinsman introduced by a cousin. I was a 17-year-old first year student at UNN and I wasn't ready to move into the empty hostels (most students hadn't resumed for the semester). He offered I could stay with him for the night. I remember it was a cold harmattan night in December. At first, I had wanted to sleep on his thick, soft rug but he offered we could share his fairly small mattress. Long story short, I woke to see him fidgeting around nervously in the middle of the night as I caught him touching me inappropriately (he claimed he saw some big spider on me). Strangely, he repeated it again and I simply moved to the rug and slept off. The next morning was very awkward and I just packed up and moved to the empty hostels. He avoided me a lot after that on campus - even when I tried talking to him.

I felt no real anger at the whole experience. Just sympathy at someone who obviously had deeply etched issues that he knows he can't talk about with his friends or family. The whole gay issue isn't as simplistic as made out. For many, it's just a choice and lifestyle. For others, it's a genuine hormonal disposition, where their body chemistry dictates what they feel and they can't force themselves to feel different. You can't purport to understand it if you've never felt it. Some are even transgenders with both male and female sex organs and a skewed hormonal balance. What do you suggest their sexuality should be?

I couldn't care less if everyone on my street were gay (maybe it would inhibit Nigeria's overpopulation) if it meant I'd get uninterrupted power supply and my roads are tarred and clean and the crime rate and insecurity is down, and inflation is checked and unemployment is tackled and the systemic rot and rabid corruption pervading every sector of the country is eradicated. Why on earth should 2 men humping each other or 2 women eating each other out have any relevance to me?

I don't give a shyt if people are homosexuals.

I give a shyt if they aim to integrate it into my society.

Let them keep it private behind closed doors and we are cool.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
Sagamite:

I don't give a shyt if people are homosexuals.

I give a shyt if they aim to integrate it into my society.

Let them keep it private behind closed doors and we are cool.

In countries where it's integrated and tolerated, has it made their societies any worse? So are Switzerland or Norway or Sweden or Finland or Belgium or Germany for example any worse or any more decadent for public gay tolerance? Do you expect that pro-gay legislation, if passed, would suddenly make them have sexxx publicly in lewd shows in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by kraftyiyk: 11:10pm On Oct 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi: The thing is, I just don't get why it bothers people so much. If you're secure in your shell as someone who is living right, why do you have to project your lifestyle on others. I'm not gay and the closest I've come to enjoying such is teenage por.n consumption watching lesbos. But I don't see why gay people should bother me in the slightest.

brother it should bother u oooo, ok, imagine where you have an only son who chooses to become a chronic gay, just because it was imposed on our society,and maybe became rampant...? how will u react? nna trash dis shit out while it,s still not a norm , for the sakeo pf your generations unborn, if not, posterity will never forgive you,ok?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 11:21pm On Oct 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
In countries where it's integrated and tolerated, has it made their societies any worse? So are Switzerland or Norway or Sweden or Finland or Belgium or Germany for example any worse or any more decadent for public gay tolerance? Do you expect that pro-gay legislation, if passed, would suddenly make them have sexxx publicly in lewd shows in Nigeria?

No 1, I have not lived in Scandinavia.

No 2, I am sure Scandinavians have a different temperament to the UK.

No 3, in the UK where I live, and where it is tolerated, it has become a worse society for me.

No 4, I have enough brain to analyse things based on a long term perspective. And, yes, the probability they would start parading like sickos in public is very high.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Donjazzy12(m): 12:42am On Oct 25, 2013
pazienza:

1, Somebody that caused you harm without your consent, is every body's business, even that of the government, cos you never gave the individual consent to do that.
But if you go to WWE and sign a consent form to get battered, it's nobody's business, since you gave consent.

Because we know that at certain age brackets, an individual psychological development is not yet developed enough to make some important life decisions, it is the function of the government to protect these individuals, until they are developed enough to make such decisions, that's why a child cannot be allowed to sleep with the father.

2, Cocaine is a drug of addiction, it renders addicts uselees social misfits, incapable of being part of the country work force, and worst still, such individuals are prone to crimes, so are not a danger to just themselves but also the larger population. Since the protection of the larger population is in the hands of the govt. any responsible govt. will take appropriate measure to protect them, and doing this involves fighting against drugs.

@ first bolded it does not affect other people personally what happens to you whether you gave consent or not according to @wman's warped argument.

@ second bolded homosexuality encourages unsafe sexual practices that results in an abnormally large disease infected homosexual population.

Homosexuality is just as dangerous as drug addiction. Both lifestyles are not healthy. Why support one and leave the other?

Mr smart alec WHY DO HOMOSEXUAL FRIENDLY COUNTRIES LIKE THE US STILL CRIMINALIZE INCESTUAL MARRIAGES BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS? WHY ? WHY? WHY?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by adconline(m): 1:16am On Oct 25, 2013
Donjazzy12: If Homosexuals are not adding to the economy. Then we don't need them! Heterosexuals are the ones reproducing and sustaining the economy by providing the workforce. There is absolutely no biological purpose to homosexuality! They are just a nuisance to society. They claim they are attracted to same gender and should be allowed to marry . What of those who practice incest and who also claim they are attracted to themselves?
All the problems in Naija are caused by heterosexuals. They are overpopulating Naija with kids many of whom are going to become Boko haram or MEND. Heterosexuals are producing babies at the same rate they are killing them in Naija. Heterosexuals have refused to educate and empower these kids. Time to clean up the mess caused by heterosexuals!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Donjazzy12(m): 2:30am On Oct 25, 2013
adconline:
All the problems in Naija are caused by heterosexuals. They are overpopulating Naija with kids many of whom are going to become Boko haram or MEND. Heterosexuals are producing babies at the same rate they are killing them in Naija. Heterosexuals have refused to educate and empower these kids. Time to clean up the mess caused by heterosexuals!
IF NOT FOR HETEROSEXUALS, YOU WILL NOT BE HERE TO BE SPEWING RUBBISH! IF YOUR FATHER WAS GAY AND YOUR MOTHER A LESBIAN, YOU WILL NOT BE HERE TALKING ABOUT CLEANING UP HETEROSEXUALS! YOU OWE HETEROSEXUALS YOUR LIFE AND YOUR SILLY MOUTH! AS GREAT AS HOMOSEXUALITY IS TO YOU , IT STILL COULDN'T PRODUCE YOU. DESIST! IT IS A BARREN LIFESTYLE FULL OF TRAUMA AND DISEASES!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 7:49am On Oct 25, 2013
Beync: it will be intellectual cowardness to embrace what ever foolish human right the wild west civilisation is choking thru ur throat. In as much as we welcome civilisation, we are not foolish adherent of every bags and baggages of civilisation at the detriment of normal norms and values of the society.
And no, devil will never make the world a better place because very soon he'll be thrown into bottomless pit. He is just looking for disciples like u to go down with. But hey, this is the time left for u to repent.

Wow, you were talking as if I compelled you into the homosexual travesty... I only gave tips of why homos whould be left with their private life as it should be independent and devoid of insults... Please,dear. Supporting homo freedom does not mean I am dirty or bringing the devil in... Those people in medieval periods that killed witches,were they 4 God or the devil
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 7:56am On Oct 25, 2013
Donjazzy12:

@ first bolded it does not affect other people personally what happens to you whether you gave consent or not according to @wman's warped argument.

@ second bolded homosexuality encourages unsafe sexual practices that results in an abnormally large disease infected homosexual population.

Homosexuality is just as dangerous as drug addiction. Both lifestyles are not healthy. Why support one and leave the other?

Mr smart alec WHY DO HOMOSEXUAL FRIENDLY COUNTRIES LIKE THE US STILL CRIMINALIZE INCESTUAL MARRIAGES BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS? WHY ? WHY? WHY?

You atimes talk like as if it is only homo that is a negative device... Hope you know that std was even passed through heterosexual intimacy and is a global problem ... What matters that most is the understanding between the partners and a peaceful co-existence of gays in the society
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by UyiIredia(m): 8:34am On Oct 25, 2013
Miss EZ:

Oi, God bless you. This was the point i made in my original post. Nigeria has way too much problems to be majoring on homosexuality.

It was this same lackadiascal attitude that allowed põrn catch us unawares and it's such an open secret.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by UyiIredia(m): 8:34am On Oct 25, 2013
Miss EZ:

For that to happen, there must be a deep psychological (mental illness) on the part of the parent. For a child to agree to sleep with their parent, they must either be ignorant, were brought up poorly or have some form of mental illness. Either ways, the parent bears more of the responsibility in this case because they should know better

It would be ironic if a gay agrees with the above quote and finds his/her stance as exempt from this given differences, where the SIMILARITY is in non-conventional relationships. Two, the above is a myth the same gays being psychologically. Three, sime inc€$ts are mutual. I have heard of 2 instances, one is open to verification since the lady who sleeps, lives with and was pregnant is available.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 25, 2013
porka:

No, you are not free to sleep with anyone you like.

You are not free to sleep with your father for instance, even though you are both adults.

If you are caught, you will go to jail and possibly ostracize by the community.

It is not our culture, get used to it.

Many likes for this.
Inbreeding is illegal, but I guess practising homosexuality with one's siblings and children is ok, so long they consent to it.
Whatever happens to consent and privacy, when a father is sleeping with his 22-year-old daughter in the bedroom...
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 10:00am On Oct 25, 2013
enigma_otr:
Many likes for this.
Inbreeding is illegal, but I guess practising homosexuality with one's siblings and children is ok, so long they consent to it.
Whatever happens to consent and privacy, when a father is sleeping with his 22-year-old daughter in the bedroom...

No sir, you are coming with a wrong myopic view.. Am dissapointed in homosexual detractors who cannot distinct the nature of incest which is unacceptable and homosexuality... Homosexuality is about people who are not family members.. Do not bring in such blatant excuse to show calumny to homosexual or I will expose the true fact that a father who sleeps foolishly with his daughter is also of heterosexual character...
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 10:00am On Oct 25, 2013
If you want this kind of brazen sicko displays in your society then you will oppose the Naija bill:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/24/student-clayton-pettet-lose-virginity-gay-sex-art-project_n_4154703.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 10:03am On Oct 25, 2013
Another advantage- Many opposite sex marriages end in divorce when one of the two finally come to terms with his/her true sexuality. Codifying same-sex marriage is an
important step towards gay acceptance that will
lower the number of gay people entering an opposite
sex marriage, which is better for all involved. Same
sex marriage will reduce divorce!
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 10:06am On Oct 25, 2013
ccollins: Another advantage- Many opposite sex marriages end in divorce when one of the two finally come to terms with his/her true sexuality. Codifying same-sex marriage is an
important step towards gay acceptance that will
lower the number of gay people entering an opposite
sex marriage, which is better for all involved. Same
sex marriage will reduce divorce!

Where did you copy this from about advantages of homosexual marriage?
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 10:11am On Oct 25, 2013
Sagamite: If you want this kind of brazen sicko displays in your society then you will oppose the Naija bill:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/24/student-clayton-pettet-lose-virginity-gay-sex-art-project_n_4154703.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

The Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement
reckon the project is not art and
cheapens the special relationship of sex
between loving partners.
Hope u saw the above line, well nothing you say can nullify the acceptance of homosexuality even if you bring in ethnical values or the virtue of morality... Homos have come to stay and are humans who cannot be ripped off from their mother land because of your narrow mind to issues.... Fyi, u know that losing of virginity is a great concern in the heterosexual and have broken uncountless destinies
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by Sagamite(m): 10:22am On Oct 25, 2013
ccollins:

The Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement
reckon the project is not art and
cheapens the special relationship of sex
between loving partners.
Hope u saw the above line, well nothing you say can nullify the acceptance of homosexuality even if you bring in ethnical values or the virtue of morality... Homos have come to stay and are humans who cannot be ripped off from their mother land because of your narrow mind to issues.... Fyi, u know that losing of virginity is a great concern in the heterosexual and have broken uncountless destinies

Lol!

Homos have come to stay in the West, not in Nigeria no matter what your moronic mind thinks after brainwash. They sure wouldn't be practicing it legally in their motherland. I am very happy for Cameron and Obama to give them sexuality asylum.
Re: Nigeria Speaks-out Against Same-sex Marriage At The UN by ccollins(m): 10:31am On Oct 25, 2013
Here is a practical experience of one of my liberal colleague who does not believe in restriction or in enforcing old traditional values on anyone.... Full disclosure: she is a
lesbian with a partner and a small son, who is legally adopted by both of them. She analysed certain positive points which I noted down in our interaction in order to clear the stiff-minded and those who have a blind heart and brainwashed negative thinking towards homos..

First of all, joint parenting -- Positive effect. This protects the child being raised by two same-sex parents. In case
one of them dies or becomes incapacitated, there is a legal tie to the other parent. My partner and I have this benefit, thanks to a second parent adoption, but this is not legal in all states, and even where it is not illegal it can be a crap shoot depending on the particular judge you get. This assumes, of course, that you think that having a child stay with the person they know and trust as a parent, who is prepared and committed to raise the child, is a good thing.

joint adoption -- Positive effect. See above.
joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including
non-biological parents) -- Positive effect for the
children. status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent
-- Very positive. I want the person I choose to live my life with to make these decisions. Arguably, having those decisions made by the person I live with every day, who knows my medical conditions and views about treatment, would be a net positive for the medical community and cost of health care, as well.

joint insurance policies for home, auto and health --
Good thing, since we own property and cars jointly,
they should be covered jointly. As far as health
insurance goes, one can argue that a person with
decent health coverage, who has the capacity to get
regular preventative care and early treatment for
illness is a net benefit to society and less of a drain
on emergency rooms. Joint health insurance makes
this more likely.

dissolution and divorce protections such as
community property and child support -- Positive. It's a good thing for society when people have these
protections. Same sex couples already live together,
own things together, raise children together -- but do so without the same legal protections.
immigration and residency for partners from other
countries -- Good thing.
inheritance automatically in the absence of a will --
Also a good thing. Except, maybe, for the lawyers,
like ours, who are making big bucks drafting legal
docs that could easily be waved away anyway by
some bigoted judge. Surely all that inheritance red
tape is costing society money.

joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the
event one partner dies or leaves the house or
apartment -- Good thing. A whole lot less red tape.
inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal
property through the right of survivorship (which
avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate) .

See the stuff in parentheses.
benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social
Security, and Medicare -- Damn good thing. We work and support each other. Sometimes in a partnership, one person has to give up something to support the other. Let's say I decide to be a stay-at-home mom, while my partner works. If she dies, I am screwed when it comes to these benefits -- even though we have jointly been doing our part to support the family. Having indigent people without the means to support themselves, because of the death or disability of one partner, is not a benefit to society.

spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon
the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the
home -- Good thing. Hell, even conservatives don't
like more taxes. veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns -- Good, I guess. If there were gays in the military, that is.

joint filing of customs claims when traveling -- Uh,
good I guess. It means that I don't have to wait for
my partner to get through the line. The customs
person has to only talk to one of us, so that would
fractionally increase the speed of the line for the
people following.

wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and
children -- Positive. Mutual support lasting beyond
death is a good thing, because people make
sacrifices to support each other during life and you
never know when one will get the short end of the
stick when something goes wrong. Good for society,
because that means that the children are cared for
and the surviving partner doesn't become indigent.
bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or
child -- Good thing. For example, caring for my ailing

partner in our home is a damn sight cheaper for
society than having her sit in a hospital.
decision-making power with respect to whether a
deceased partner will be cremated or not and where
to bury him or her -- Good for us. Doesn't really
matter to the larger society, I don't imagine.
crime victims' recovery benefits -- Good.
loss of consortium tort benefits -- No clue what this
means.

domestic violence protection orders -- Fewer people
getting beat up, fewer medical expenses, less money
spent on incarceration. Good things.

judicial protections and evidentiary immunity -- Not
sure what that's good for.
For the most part, I know these benefits would be
good for me. The question is, are they also, in
general, good for society as well? I think that many of them are. Bottom line: legal rights that make it
easier for people to have stable, healthy lives with
protection from death and other catastrophe are a
net good for society. Same-sex marriage benefits
extend those protections to gays and lesbians.

We're already living together and raising families (and/or large numbers of pets). We're already supporting
each other. Legal protection for what is already there is a POSITIVE thing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply)

Strengths And Weaknesses Of Bola Ahmed TInubu / Peter Obi Applauds LP for Reviewing Imo Governorship Nomination Form / Deputy Governor Hamzat Apprehends Road Users Plying One Way In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.