Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians (22863 Views)

GUARDIAN Newspaper Apologises For Publishing False Pics Of Buhari's Interview / Oshiomhole Apologises For His Heartless Comments To A Widow / Ministers Laughing At Nigerians During The Federal Executive Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by donphilopus: 7:01am On Oct 25, 2013
United States Senator Ted Cruz on Thursday said he did not mean to offend Nigerians when he took a jibe at the technical glitches being experienced by the website of a new US healthcare law commonly known as Obamacare.

During an appearance in his home state of Texas this week, the Republican Party lawmaker referenced what he called “Nigerian e-mail scammers.”

Senator Cruz was speaking about technical glitches on a new US government website that have prevented Americans from buying health insurance under the Affordable Health Care Act, or Obamacare.

Cruz, who has voiced opposition to the measure, jokingly said, “You know the Nigerian e-mail scammers? They have been a lot less active lately because they have all been hired to run the Obamacare web site.”

His comments stirred outrage among Nigerians and some political commentators across the world, as they demanded an apology from the controversial senator.

The Texas-based KTRK broadcast station reports that a spokesman for Senator Cruz reacted, saying: “The senator was making a joke based on the official term of a commonly utilised type of scam. He meant no offence.”

The Nigerian embassy in Washington has called Cruz’s remarks “unguided.”
In a statement, the Deputy Chief of Mission, Ambassador B.E. Archibong, said the embassy views the comments as a “very expensive joke that was taken too far,” VOA reports.

Senator Cruz’s comments have also been criticized by the Nigerian-American Leadership Council.

In a VOA interview, Executive Director Sam Okey Mbonu said Cruz should issue a “clarification.”
“It is certainly not the most responsible statement from a United States senator,” he said.

“We believe that partisanship has its limits and one does not establish credibility on a national platform by running down a section of the American community.”

Okey Mbonu said some Nigerian Americans would consider the joke offensive.

“It is certainly insensitive,” he said.

“For a senator who perhaps has some medium-term plans for being in the public for a long period of time, we think that those kinds of comments should be well thought out.”

Pastor Felix Awotula with Redeemed Christian Church of God says he fielded calls at his church throughout the day.

“I’m not too sure of the motive behind that. But anyway, the statement has been made, and it has a devastating effect in the mind of Nigerians because we don’t want to identify the country with anything negative. I’m not saying all Nigerians are perfect,” Awotula said.

A commentator, Dallas Jones, with Elite Change, Inc, said: “That type of dialogue is inflammatory. I think it is one that will divide us, as opposed to unite us, and I think that’s what the country wants right now; they want to be united, they want real leadership that’s not going to be culturally insensitive.”

Some viewers say they’ve contacted the senator’s office, asking for an apology.

SOURCE

3 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by segunjowo(m): 7:04am On Oct 25, 2013
Hehehe
Nigerian Yahoo boys gaining worldwide review and recognition.

6 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by ifyalways(f): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2013
Where is the apology ? They only rubbed it in fa. cheesy
" A commonly utilized type of scam"

Choi.

8 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by gbanikiti(m): 7:43am On Oct 25, 2013
Ogugua,I hope you are happy now. The senator said he was only joking. grin tongue

Now to some serious issues bothering our nation......

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by israel007: 7:51am On Oct 25, 2013
He should come out and say it in clear terms: 'NIGERIANS I AM SORRY!,

9 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nonybb: 7:53am On Oct 25, 2013
It is normal. He just said the bitter truth and it hurts

18 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 25, 2013
What's the Big Deal? The joke was funny jorr.

3 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by dridowu: 8:36am On Oct 25, 2013
israel007: He should come out and say it in clear terms: 'NIGERIANS I AM SORRY!,
+100likes

4 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 25, 2013
gbanikiti: Ogugua,I hope you are happy now. The senator said he was only joking. grin tongue

Now to some serious issues bothering our nation......

Where is the apology?

Why don't you sit up and take a look as to how things are done, how things work, when people are proactive. A senator was insultive and progressive Nigerians will not tolerate such. Nigerian outrage has reached CNN, the Huffington Post, MSNBC, etc. Local news, national news, and international news. The Nigerian Ambassador to the USA has made his own statement. A public apology must come for his public abuse.

20 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by gbanikiti(m): 8:54am On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88:

Where is the apology?

Why don't you sit up and take a look as to how things are done, how things work, when people are proactive. A senator was insultive and progressive Nigerians will not tolerate such. Nigerian outrage has reached CNN, the Huffington Post, MSNBC, etc. Local news, national news, and international news. The Nigerian Ambassador to the USA has made his own statement. A public apology must come for his public abuse.
Ok! Let's keep waiting for the apology. I hope he does that in good time or else we will stage a protest to US embassy. tongue

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by ifyalways(f): 8:59am On Oct 25, 2013
Madam how far ? cheesy
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 25, 2013
After this episode, no national US politician will ever make any derogatory jokes about Nigeria

#naija no dey carry last grin

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 25, 2013
ifyalways: Madam how far ? cheesy

E never reesh o.
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by UyiIredia(m): 9:31am On Oct 25, 2013
I dey siddon look. His jibe or insults is not what keeps me alive. On to better things.
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Sllowppoisoon: 9:34am On Oct 25, 2013
K
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by venorite(m): 9:36am On Oct 25, 2013
To hell with you and your apology. Bunch of clowns called Americans thinking they are better than everyone

2 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by nnocurruption: 9:37am On Oct 25, 2013
No need to apologize for saying the truth Nigeria is trash.

4 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by PuffyT1(m): 9:37am On Oct 25, 2013
Pathetic
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by DonHummer(m): 9:37am On Oct 25, 2013
the man evn looks like a comedian

4 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 25, 2013
What sort of bullocks is this?. Where is the fùcking apology?. Are we this gullible or what?. This ill-bred móronic slowpoke didn't apologize even for a nanosecond!!. There's nothing in his spittle-like rants that suggested the ídiot apologized. A man of his calibre ought not to be making unguided speeches which sole aim is spite other countries. Until he issues a formal unreserved apology, the Nigerians/ambassador to US, should discard this rants of his to the dustbin.

And please MODs, change the topic of this thread and remove the "apologises" cos the fool didn't apologize. angry

MUKINA EDIT THE TOPIC, the dumbass didn't apologize. Get this nonsense outta the front page undecided

6 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by devour129: 9:39am On Oct 25, 2013
just like the American homos and pervs and terrorist have relocated to africa

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88:

Where is the apology?

you are waiting for apology from a racist senator....lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 25, 2013
venorite: To hell with you and your apology. Bunch of clowns called Americans thinking they are better than everyone

there are different kinds of Americans...you arfe basically committing the same stupid crime this stupid racist senator committed....even ted cruz is hated by a lot of Americans

6 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88:

Where is the apology?

Haven't I said this? Lets wait and see

All we get na bush talk.
ledafaze: Haven't I said this? Lets wait and see

The article featured is old, probably from Tuesday. Notice the heading says "US Senator Apologizes" and the last sentence in the article says "Some viewers say they’ve contacted the senator’s office, asking for an apology."
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by ooshinibos: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2013
..where is the apology , sometimes i think the editor does not review headlines , THERE IS NO APOLOGY IN THE NEWs YOU POSTED ...why are we like this . NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 25, 2013
ogugua88:

The article featured is old, probably from Monday. Notice the heading says "US Senator Apologizes" and the last sentence in the article says "Some viewers say they’ve contacted the senator’s office, asking for an apology."

I am still wondering why you think he will apologize. As I have said earlier, lets wait and see.

2 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Chimezie198(m): 9:44am On Oct 25, 2013
Naija no dey carry last.
My yahoo mail inbox na so so sperm full am.
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 25, 2013
Where is the insult here? We get Naija scammers abi we no get? *Hiiiisz...

Btw, ...To hell with US.

1 Like

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by bluelaptop: 9:46am On Oct 25, 2013
good boy. keep it up
Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by Lilimax(f): 9:46am On Oct 25, 2013
But I did not see where he apologized angry
The title of this article is somehow misleading undecided

2 Likes

Re: US Senator Apologises For 419 Jibe At Nigerians by mascot87(m): 9:46am On Oct 25, 2013
He should watch his mouth against next time because we will not take it likely with him both physically, mouthlyundecided spiritually,vexingly and lookingly angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reynolds Construction At Work On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / Mama Taraba's Faction Fights At APC Convention With APC Integrity Group / Buhari Meets With Executives From Peugeot At Aso Villa Today (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.