Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (139961 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Common Nigerian Foods And Their Recipes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Lobiela: 7:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
[quote
author=engr j]
CO-INCIDENCE OF LIFE: 1. CHURCH has 6 letters so does MOSQUE. 2. BIBLE
has 5 letters so does QURAN. 3. LIFE has 4 letters so does DEAD. 4. HATE
has 4 letters, so does LOVE. 5. ENEMIES has 7, so does FRIENDS. 6.
LYING has 5, so does TRUTH. 7. HURT has 4, so does HEAL. 8. NEGATIVE has
8, so does POSITIVE. 9. FAILURE has 7, so does SUCCESS. 10. BELOW has
5, but so does ABOVE. 11. CRY has 3 letters so does JOY. 12. ANGER has 5
so does HAPPY. 13. RIGHT has 5 so does WRONG. 14. RICH has 4 so does
POOR. 15. FAIL has 4 so does PASS 16. KNOWLEDGE has 9 so does IGNORANCE.
Are they all by Co-incidence? We should Choose wisely, this means LIFE
is like a Double-Edged Sword. Do you Agree[/quote]ma dear God bless u,u re so makin a piont
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Mamacita007(f): 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Download fitnesspal on ur iphone & android devices to track ur daily caloric intake. i now cook egusi & okro soup without red oil gringrin lloooooll i know, i know, i know its strange but that's what ive been doing for months now becos red oil isn't good for u

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by damilola15: 7:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
chidyhels: story!
Food way my grandpa chop til he died @ 108,na im u say make i no chop. Calories ko.
Hope you also compared the life expectancy in your grandfather's days with today.
Oh, he also didn't watch much TV if not at all. He probably did a lot of walking (unintentional exercised).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 25, 2013
idowuswap: igbo with nuisancica behaviou how can this tribe get food cal ABACHA wel then go soon dey thief food stuff 4rom thier neighbour now.TANK MY FELLOW NL

The character behind this handle is insane.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by yussuff(m): 8:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
Our minds perceive and give relative value - positive and negative - to the different sides of a duality. We usually shun the negative.

It's important to know that you cannot eliminate the negative by focusing exclusively on the positive. Energetically, both opposites must remain in balance. This is Africa." Wetin we eat no dey kill us"
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by adconline(m): 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
The problem with Naija foods laced with calories is our idea of food; it must be solid,mouthful, swallowable, plateful. If I tell folks that I only take Quaker oat in the morning, they will asking me is that food enough? What do you mean? Then I ask them "can you finish a 10-liter pot of oatmeal? Why must we take oatmeal/cereal/conflakes with bread/biscuit/akara? Why must we use mayonnaise to decorate our salad? Why are Naija food portions so huge? Why can't food be soluble? The most anoying thing is that the rich and middle are guilty of all these. Next health epidemic is going to be unleashed on the rich, middle class, educated and urbanites.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
Coldfeet: The op is right! Most of the foods we consume is laden with high calories! but then its OUR FOOD!!!! We can't do away with them. All we need do is make sure we control our portions! In Nigeria we eat so much of a particular class of food till we are fill! Which ought not to be so! Food at all times should be balanced with all class of food present! But the hustle of life has robbed us of time to do so.

I still wonder why some people add sugar to boiled yam!
Even with its high calorie content?? Not healthy at all!!!!

Noodles should not be eaten plain!! Like most of us do, and especially NOT with EGGS!!!! Imagine the caloric content of one Super pack indomie noodles multiplied by 2 packs and then add that of 2 eggs?? Jeezs!! We are killing ourselves o! Carrots! Green beans! And tomatoes should at least be present in you noodle.
dats me. I can't cook my yam or even yam porridge without putting sugar. And funny enough i don't take sugar, its only when i'm eating yam, i take my beverages, cereal without sugar. Seriously yam without sugar is just crap.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
@ OP, what matters is the glycemic index of foods and not the glycemic content.
Confectioneries and other refined foods have high glycemic index in that they raise ur blood glucose level in a steep fashion. The foods get assimilated in the body so easily and before u know it, u get hungry again and want more foods (calories).

But African foods have low glycemic index. The glucose they have(no matter how big) are released in very small quantities and such foods are healthier, than those that give u a sudden high glucose load like cakes, etc.

Moreover, African meals contain lots of fiber, which have filling effects, such that when u eat say rice and beans in the morn, u won't go hungry again at least till 1pm.

Compare it with taking meat pie and coke in the morn, u are more likely to get hungry sooner than 1pm, unless u have primed your self an ignitio.

My point being that African dishes remain the way to go in achieving a leaner body.
we started sharing the white man sicknesses when we began to eat their refined foods.
Our foods are the bomb

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
ngozievergreen: @ OP, what matters is the glycemic index of foods and not the glycemic content.
Confectioneries and other refined foods have high glycemic index in that they raise ur blood glucose level in a steep fashion. The foods get assimilated in the body so easily and before u know it, u get hungry again and want more foods (calories).

But African foods have low glycemic index. The glucose they have(no matter how big) are released in very small quantities and such foods are healthier, than those that give u a sudden high glucose load like cakes, etc.

Moreover, African meals contain lots of fiber, which have filling effects, such that when u eat say rice and beans in the morn, u won't go hungry again at least till 1pm.

Compare it with taking meat pie and coke in the morn, u are more likely to get hungry sooner than 1pm, unless u have primed your self an ignitio.

My point being that African dishes remain the way to go in achieving a leaner body.
we started sharing the white man sicknesses when we began to eat their refined foods.
Our foods are the bomb

Ngozi dem dey teach you all of these in your secondary school? That is nice.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
And what is this thing am reading abt adding sugar to yam?
For what name of food?
Which culture does that?
Hia

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by fr3do(m): 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
Shollyps: Wats calorie?

amount of energy that can raise the temperature of 1g of water through 1 degree Celsius
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by nikkypearl(f): 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
Abi?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Godson201333(m): 8:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
So make we no eat again?
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by moclothesnaija: 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
nice one! i av already bookmark it.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by pazienza(m): 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Egusi soup and Akpu is my favorite native dish, but with this info about egusi calorie content, it would be a long time before i eat that soup again, choi! i dread obesity like HIV, i can't get fat, mbanu! Chukwu aju.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
Interesting piece. OP, thanks for sharing.

From now on I'll reduce my portions of garri and soup grin
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
O yeah... this is serious...tnx fr d info sha
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ProfessorD(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: Interesting piece. OP, thanks for sharing.

From now on I'll reduce my portions of garri and soup grin

Yes boss!
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ngoziofoedu(f): 10:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
samjbo: I will not eat food any longer. Let me see whether hunger has calories
lol angry
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by powerblaze(m): 11:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Tell that to my 75yr old Grand ma tongue
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
haha, naija i hail o.d high calorific value of our food, doesnt make them evil. Like someone pointed out d issue of glycemic index, dats so true! Also, knw d type of metabolism ur body system has. Like me, i noticed earlier dat i had a very fast metabolism, i cld eat up to 5000cals a day witout getting fat(i was also active...university). B4 i later i finally broke d jinx and added weight, i had to bulk up! I remember eating 2 indomie super packs wit sardine every evening, a very big bowl of eba n afang soup at noon and rice,fried plantain n 2 boiled eggs in d mawn! U think its suicide? Nope! I was neva overweight, cos i coupled dis all with weight training 4times a week. So d thing is, knw ur body metabolism(whether fast or slow) n select d foods that will work 4 u. Also seek knowledge. There are many other aspects to nutrition. For a man, u want to look lean and muscular, follow d type of nutrition dat natural bodybuilders employ. Etc etc etc. Choi! Dis epistle long sha!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 11:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
Amy beware
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ninocia18(m): 12:38am On Oct 26, 2013
lorretta u: Ha. See me na. No wonder I'm not losing weight.I was eating more wheat thinking it's lower in calorie than garri.

And I love egusi soup and indomie too. cry embarassed

Eh?! Loosing what? I hope the weight loss dint get to that place... Yhu know what I mean. Abeg if na joke stop am. The info doesn't imply to yhu all.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by armyofone(m): 1:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Typical nig egusi soup ingredients:

Egusi
palm oil
maggi
salt
dried fish
tinko
mangala
oxtail
ponmo
stock fish
crayfish
bonga
ugwu
pounded yam

ummm give me a freshly washed bitter leaf soup and semo or plantain amala and stew anyday
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 26, 2013
Op I don't know how you came about your calculation, it seems flawed.

For one the egusi I know is gotten from a type of melon which is a fruity vegetable on its own like carrot. Since when do vegetables/fruits contain so much fat?

Also in preparing egusi most Nigerians use different ingredients such as fresh fish, beef, chicken, okpeye, palm oil, osu, pepper, pumpkin, bitter leaf, cray fish, achi etc.

Did you put these ingredients into consideration in your calculation?
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by geosvic: 3:19am On Oct 26, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 4:26am On Oct 26, 2013
damilola15:
Hope you also compared the life expectancy in your grandfather's days with today.
Oh, he also didn't watch much TV if not at all. He probably did a lot of walking (unintentional exercised).

something must kill a man, if ur own is calories, so be it. Am not ready to be calculating calories b4 i eat anytin.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ireneidiva(f): 5:39am On Oct 26, 2013
Wow. So iv been eating poison all this while?
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by wabbylie(m): 6:31am On Oct 26, 2013
No wonder that average Nigerian are malnourished.We need to be very weary of what we take in.I think its high time we started loving beans and ewedu,to stay healthy.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by isaiahethan: 7:49am On Oct 26, 2013
israel007: Ok wetin person go chop wey wahala no go dey? Hunger strike go satisfy una abi

Eat bolee....
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ProfessorD(m): 8:12am On Oct 26, 2013
geosvic: Tired of all there analysis cause these were foods our fathers ate and they live longer than we that think are civilize. Pls let me eat what i have who knows maybe it was the calories that make them grow so old
Did your grandfather deep fry, did he drink soda or soft drink, did he work in an office(sit down all day) did he eat fast junk snacks, the probable anwser is no, except you intentionally or unintetionally work out a lot then you should control what you eat I was just sharing info that if you use properly you wont be looking for pills to reduce obesity and other life style ailments

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 26, 2013
Please I'm tryn2 add weight! What can I eat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? / Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.