Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,996 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

"The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers (5268 Views)

When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Reason Why Our Prayer Is Not Being Answer And The Solution!!! Pleased Read / Famous Rosary Miracles (for Believers). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 7:24pm On Nov 02, 2013
Bidam: Speaking in tongues is not a fallacy. Thanks cheesy

1Cor 14v38-39 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, AND FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by christemmbassey(m): 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2013
haibe:

you mean endorse? undecided
endorse my bros, d msg too sweet i come d mixe gramma. Cheers.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 02, 2013
ayoku777:

1Cor 14v38-39 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, AND FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES
I pray people accept scripture like little children and not argue it using vain philosophies and logic.Thanks bro..Phew!!

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Goshen360(m): 12:20am On Nov 03, 2013
To digress a little, let me buttress the teaching I was going to do with or from the so called 'sermon on the mount' and I will come back to continue the Lord's prayer.

King James Bible
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:20

Any one reading this scripture with the lens or eyes of ordinary instead of reading\studying with the lens or eyes of the finished works of the cross (or of the eyes of the Spirit), will think Christ was teaching we should do more than the scribes and pharisees IN ORDER TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. Studying this under the eyes or revelation of the new testament gives us a revelation to the truth Christ was teaching. Christ is not saying if the scribes\pharisee fast\pray twice a week, you have to fast\pray four times a week to be made right with God or to enter heaven. Christ is not saying if the scribes\pharisees pay tithe of 10%, you have to pay tithe of 20% to be made right with God. He is not saying if the scribes\pharisee read\study the scripture five times daily, you have to read\study the scripture ten times daily to be made right with God etc

Scribes and Pharisees are teachers of the mosaic law and their righteousness is by the obedience to the law, a righteousness which is based on how God accept people or make people right with himself under the law.

New Living Translation
For Moses writes that the law's way of making a person right with God requires obedience to all of its commands.

So, Christ is 'projecting' a righteousness which SHALL NOT BE BY THE LAW OR WHICH SHALL NOT BE BY THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF SCRIBES\PHARISEES, that's the righteousness THAT EXCEED THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE SCRIBES & PHARISEES, a righteousness that is based on faith, grace and the finished works of Christ. A righteousness that is not based on WORKS like that of the law as with the scribes & pharisees but which shall be, BECAUSE OF THE CROSS AND WHAT WAS DONE FOR US. When God is no longer looking at believers from the angle of what these believers do to be right with God but BECAUSE OF WHAT CHRIST DID TO MAKE BELIEVERS RIGHT WITH GOD.

New International Version
Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

New Living Translation
For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God.

to be continue . . .

2 Likes

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 2:19am On Nov 03, 2013
Goshen360: To digress a little, let me buttress the teaching I was going to do with or from the so called 'sermon on the mount' and I will come back to continue the Lord's prayer.

King James Bible
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:20

Any one reading this scripture with the lens or eyes of ordinary instead of reading\studying with the lens or eyes of the finished works of the cross (or of the eyes of the Spirit), will think Christ was teaching we should do more than the scribes and pharisees IN ORDER TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. Studying this under the eyes or revelation of the new testament gives us a revelation to the truth Christ was teaching. Christ is not saying if the scribes\pharisee fast\pray twice a week, you have to fast\pray four times a week to be made right with God or to enter heaven. Christ is not saying if the scribes\pharisees pay tithe of 10%, you have to pay tithe of 20% to be made right with God. He is not saying if the scribes\pharisee read\study the scripture five times daily, you have to read\study the scripture ten times daily to be made right with God etc

Scribes and Pharisees are teachers of the mosaic law and their righteousness is by the obedience to the law, a righteousness which is based on how God accept people or make people right with himself under the law.

New Living Translation
For Moses writes that the law's way of making a person right with God requires obedience to all of its commands.

So, Christ is 'projecting' a righteousness which SHALL NOT BE BY THE LAW OR WHICH SHALL NOT BE BY THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF SCRIBES\PHARISEES, that's the righteousness THAT EXCEED THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE SCRIBES & PHARISEES, a righteousness that is based on faith, grace and the finished works of Christ. A righteousness that is not based on WORKS like that of the law as with the scribes & pharisees but which shall be, BECAUSE OF THE CROSS AND WHAT WAS DONE FOR US. When God is no longer looking at believers from the angle of what these believers do to be right with God but BECAUSE OF WHAT CHRIST DID TO MAKE BELIEVERS RIGHT WITH GOD.

New International Version
Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

New Living Translation
For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God.

to be continue . . .

I wont even call it a digression, it is the core of the new testament. The only way for you to be sinless under the law is to pluck out your eyes and cut off your hands. In other words, have no body parts to commit the sin with.

If you read that passage with the veil of works, you would think Jesus was admonishing us on how much sacrifice we should be willing to make, to make heaven. He is rather showing us how the only way to be righteous is through faith in Him.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Goshen360(m): 3:34am On Nov 03, 2013
ayoku777:

I wont even call it a digression, it is the core of the new testament. The only way for you to be sinless under the law is to pluck out your eyes and cut off your hands. In other words, have no body parts to commit the sin with.

If you read that passage with the veil of works, you would think Jesus was admonishing us on how much sacrifice we should be willing to make, to make heaven. He is rather showing us how the only way to be righteous is through faith in Him.

^ To those who are with him then while he walked the earth, the above is true. To us, both applies, that is, to HAVE FAITH in his person AND WHAT HE HAD DONE TO MAKE US RIGHT AGAIN WITH THE FATHER and SIT IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH HIM. Our own faith is more on Christ's finished works, because it was his death, burial and resurrection that gives birth to everything a believer can ever amount to in this Christian faith.

You got the right choice of words, to use there as per the 'veil' while I was using 'lens' or 'eyes'. However, religion had once told me that what Christ was saying in that verse where he said cut off your hands if it makes you sin is not literal and doesn't mean one should cut his\her physical hands. cheesy

So, what I'm gradually teaching or showing folks here is for everyone of us to study the teachings of Christ 'under the law' with the veil of the new testament because the Lord himself had taken away the veil and open our understanding so we can understand the scriptures via the Holy Spirit.

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

^ At this time of the dispensation of God, it was still the Old testament written but it was veiled to the disciples. Now, when a man turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away so such man can understand scriptures, especially in the light of the (death, burial & resurrection of Christ) new testament.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 4:32am On Nov 03, 2013
christemmbassey: As Goshen360 will say, I'm Christ's Emmbassey, and i ENDORSE this message of the kingdom 100%. Grace b multiplied unto you bro.

That prayer is a pattern not a recitation. so it is advised we follow that pattern.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 5:03am On Nov 03, 2013
ayoku777:
The only way for you to be sinless under the law is to pluck out your eyes and cut off your hands. In other words, have no body parts to commit the sin with.
Lol. I once made a post on this. The body parts were just means to commit sin for sin is conceived in the heart. It takes real understanding to understand what Jesus said there. It is not the hand or leg or eye that causes to sin, it is only the medium used. Else a thief or adulterer will just say it was his hand or privates that made him sin not actually 'him'. Lol.
Even with all those parts cut off the mind and the mind is not renwed and the heart circumcised, the person will still fester with lust, hate and bitterness. It still won't make the person sinless in actual sense except the heart is renewed. So the joke is still on the person really.

Jesus ministry on earth was on having the right heart and if any looks at Jesus words with veiled eyes, he will never understand the very life in Jesus words. He will keep thinking Jesus was preaching works or 'under the law' when Jesus was speaking the mind of God for believers.

ayoku777:
Very true. Jesus was always heavily castigating the pharisees because even their works never reached the heart. It was a show, their prayers, apparent piousness, supposed kindness never reached the heart, they say without doing. Jesus was simply saying if our righteousness is not of the heart, we are no better than pharisees. Even if we give our all out without love, it is waste.
Reading the scripture context He said this is proof enough (wholesome words) and it is a pity many do not understand Jesus even till now and hold words of men over the Truth, Life and Light of the Words of Jesus.

Matthew 5:19-24
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother. without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

As you can see it is too obvious that teaching and doing God's commandments is part of the kingdom of heaven in both first highlighted scriptures and Jesus explained that it is not until someone physically kills another that he has sinned but having hatred is same as killing. Lusting after a woman is adultery. Perfect law of the spirit. So if the person cuts off his body parts, it still doesn't stop hatred and lust in the heart which is still sin.

If we were to watch man's thoughts and intents on video then we will truly believe the heart of man is desperately wicked.

Just put costumes on our heart intents and cast it in a film show and see who we really are? That is the man of the heart. That is why we always need Jesus.
Works are nil if the heart is not right and there is no way that the heart is right that good works will not spring forth.

Christ work on earth was to draw men back to God through His words and actions, providing the Way, Truth and Life, through only Him and He promised to send the Holy Spirit to continue it after He left earth, and His death was a substitute for us to pay the debt we owe God because of our sin for God made us good from creation.
This is the finished work of Christ. His ministry is never contrary to what God had said from the very beginning.
For 3 bear witnes in heaven, The Father, The Word and The Holy Spirit and the three agree in one.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 2:49pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Lol. I once made a post on this. The body parts were just means to commit sin for sin is conceived in the heart. It takes real understanding to understand what Jesus said there. It is not the hand or leg or eye that causes to sin, it is only the medium used. Else a thief or adulterer will just say it was his hand or privates that made him sin not actually 'him'. Lol.
Even with all those parts cut off the mind and the mind is not renwed and the heart circumcised, the person will still fester with lust, hate and bitterness. It still won't make the person sinless in actual sense except the heart is renewed. So the joke is still on the person really.

Jesus ministry on earth was on having the right heart and if any looks at Jesus words with veiled eyes, he will never understand the very life in Jesus words. He will keep thinking Jesus was preaching works or 'under the law' when Jesus was speaking the mind of God for believers.

Sister, your comments have not really being able to differentiate between Grace and law. You see, whenever Jesus is with the Pharisees and scribes, He preaches the law to them in plain words, because that's what they understand, but preaches Grace in parables..while when He is with the disciples, He preaches Grace to them in plain words.

For instance, Jesus preached that the greatest commandments are "Love your neighbour as yourself" and "Love God with all your heart"..meanwhile, under Grace, He said "Love each other as I have loved you" because He knows a certain time will come that you might not love yourself due to circumstances around you, as a result of which you might not "love your neighbour as yourself" at that point in time, but when you remember how much God loves you unconditionally..it will be easy for you to love others even when you don't love yourself.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 2:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
^^^^^^
Study more and understand grace. If you truly understand grace you will fully understand what the law is and vice versa. The whole law is hinged on love...I am not talking about penalty of law but law...that is where so many people mix it up.
Learn what righteousness of the law also means per Romans 8. This requires your own study.
Happy Sunday.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Goshen360(m): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alwaystrue: ^^^^^^
Study more and understand grace. If you truly understand grace you will fully understand what the law is and vice versa. The whole law is hinged on love...I am not talking about penalty of law but law...that is where so many people mix it up.
Learn what righteousness of the law also means per Romans 8. This requires your own study.
Happy Sunday.

Hahahaha, the One who gave the law can heal on sabbath and still not sin. The One who gave the law can let someone caught in adultery go free. He can say those who pluck the ears of the corn are sinless etc. When the One who gave the law talks, no sin is found in Him and yet, he can break the law and still have no sin but you know, sin is the transgression of the law. How come he transgress the law but didn't sin?. Why, you will always lack one thing in the law - the law is a shadow, you can't fully know it, only the One who gave knows its shortcomings, limitation and what was held back.

Oh, I feel like preaching and teaching this Sunday glorious morning. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2013
cheesy when people do not even understand how love is fulfilled in sabath and what it really means, they will keep asking questions, it is no wonder the veil still remains on their eyes. Yet the truth is staring them right in the face.
Like I said people still do not understand what Grace and Truth means yet they claim to believe in Jesus....and do not keep and do not understand His words.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2013
Obedience to the law was not the goal of the Father, it was always to be like Christ, a new creation, born again after the image of the Last Adam.

The law, which was a shadow picture of what was to come, attempted to do make us into that image but couldn't. Because the law, no law infact, can make us like Christ.

Grace, through faith, is the imputation of the life of Christ, which the Holy Spirit now helps us make a lifestyle.

This is the picture, the Holy Spirit is not given to help us obey the law, he came to do what the law couldnt do -make us Christ-like. That was what the law couldnt do.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2013
christemmbassey: As Goshen360 will say, I'm Christ's Emmbassey, and i ENDORSE this message of the kingdom 100%. Grace b multiplied unto you bro.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the gospel of Grace. Thank You Jesus.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 6:47pm On Nov 03, 2013
ayoku777: ..., the Holy Spirit is not given to help us obey the law, he came to do what the law couldnt do -make us Christ-like. That was what the law couldnt do.

God bless you for that point. It's a pitiable situation when you see a lot of Christians, especially believing Christians praying for grace to keep the law. but no, lots of people do not even know what it means to be born-again..they thought it's behavioural modification..or ability to work miracles, or ability to lead God's people in prayers and songs..explanation on that coming on in my next post/topic

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 6:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alwaystrue: cheesy when people do not even understand how love is fulfilled in sabath and what it really means, they will keep asking questions, it is no wonder the veil still remains on their eyes. Yet the truth is staring them right in the face.
Like I said people still do not understand what Grace and Truth means yet they claim to believe in Jesus....and do not keep and do not understand His words.

We will do another teaching on that topic of who a believer or born-again is, but can you explain this: Jesus said He who deny Him in this world He will deny such before His Father in heaven...but yet, Peter denied Christ, not once but good three times...do you think Christ will still deny him on the last day?

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Goshen360(m): 7:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
damilarelr:

We will do another teaching on that topic of who a believer or born-again is, but can you explain this: Jesus said He who deny Him in this world He will deny such before His Father in heaven...but yet, Peter denied Christ, not once but good three times...do you think Christ will still deny him on the last day?

Let's wait for an answer. cheesy
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 8:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
damilarelr:

Lolz. You guys do not amaze me at all.
1. First and foremost, did Jesus not tell Peter he would deny Him?
2. Did Peter not go out and weep bitterly after as a sign of godly sorrow as soon as He realised it? Did Judas do same?
3. Did you read where Jesus said sins against Him will be forgiven especially when godly sorrow is involved as this case?
4. Do you remember where Jesus said He had prayed specifically for Peter so the devil will not sift Him as wheat?

Look at yourselves very well and see who is denying Jesus today unrepentantly for that matter. You deny the words of Jesus by saying they do not apply to you?
Jesus words that are Spirit and life full of grace and truth is what you guys think mean law of Moses?

Do you even know what Spirit of the law means...the law of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never lead you contrary to the Word of God...The Holy Spirit sent as another comforter to continue when Jesus left. Holy Spirit has laws too, till you understand this, you will keep thinking grace means raise your legs and sleep on a couch Christian.
If you cannot even understand Jesus you think you understand Paul? Do you even know what grace means? Have you really studied Paul words to really understand His preaching? I hope you know He was a minister of the gospel preaching Christ just like we have ministers of the gospel today and he quoted the same Moses that you claim is a mixture of grace and law but he gave the Spirit of it. Have you got your own revelation of Jesus or you dwell on Paul's revelations in his letters as the entirety of your 'spirit'?
Like I told you, let the Holy Spirit reveal the word to you personally and these your questions will reduce.
If your faith does not uphold the law then check that faith well.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 03, 2013
@dami, while it is quite commendable to hear your revelations on doctrines which you perceive is an error,you should also note that certain immoral men that Jude talked about were perverting the grace of God. They claimed that the gospel frees Christians from moral obligation( Jude 4).

These false teachers have often been identified as Gnostics.

They professed to have superior knowledge, hence the name Gnostic, from the Greek word gnosis -- "to know". They probably said something like this to the Christians: "What you have is good, but we have additional truth. We can take you beyond the simple teachings and initiate you into new and deeper mysteries. If you are going to be full-grown and fulfilled, you need our teachings."

The Christian faith had been once for all delivered to the saints (Jude 3) and anything that claims to be in addition to it is fraudulent.

James has already given us a sound reasonable advice.

James 3:1.Not many of you should presume to be teachers,my brothers,because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2013
Bidam: @dami, while it is quite commendable to hear your revelations on doctrines which you perceive is an error,you should also note that certain immoral men that Jude talked about were perverting the grace of God. They claimed that the gospel frees Christians from moral obligation( Jude 4).

These false teachers have often been identified as Gnostics.

They professed to have superior knowledge, hence the name Gnostic, from the Greek word gnosis -- "to know". They probably said something like this to the Christians: "What you have is good, but we have additional truth. We can take you beyond the simple teachings and initiate you into new and deeper mysteries. If you are going to be full-grown and fulfilled, you need our teachings."

The Christian faith had been once for all delivered to the saints (Jude 3) and anything that claims to be in addition to it is fraudulent.

James has already given us a sound reasonable advice.

James 3:1.Not many of you should presume to be teachers,my brothers,because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

I appreciate your observation bro. We're all learning from one another here..nobody is proving to be more knowledgeable than the other. My concern is just that we should open our mind and let the Spirit of God reveal that which is true.

One thing I know, there is more to what we think we've known all about..revelations will never cease.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 1:38am On Nov 04, 2013
Jesus help me now!

We need to understand that just as Jesus is our passover, the Holy Spirit is our pentecost. Just as Jesus was crucified on the feast of the passover, the time the lambs were sacrified; so also the Holy Spirit was poured out on the feast of pentecost (50th day from the morrow after the high sabbath -the feast of unleavened) the same day the law was given. So understand that the relationship Jesus has with the lamb over the passover is the same that the Spirit has with the law over the pentecost.

Jesus did not come to assist the lamb or give it a helping hand. NO! He came to do what it couldn't do, and in so doing take its place as our passover. So now, because of Jesus, we NO LONGER need the sacrifice of lambs to receive remission. SO ALSO, the Holy Spirit did not come to give the law a helping hand. NO! He came to do what the law couldn't do, and in so doing take its place as our pentecost. The law couldn't give life. 3000 people died on the day of the first pentecost when the law was given, and in sharp prophetic contrast, 3000 people received life (Jesus) the day the Holy Spirit was poured.

To admit we no longer need the sacrifice of lambs for remission after Jesus had come, but still hold to the view that we still need the law after the Spirit has been poured is a case of either sincere ignorance or deliberate dishonesty in rightly dividing the word of truth. Jesus did to the lamb what the Spirit did to the law. So the lamb and the law are both old covenant shadow pictures of the spiritual realities that Jesus and the Holy Spirit now represent in the new covenant. They take the place of the lamb and the law as our passover and pentecost respectively, under the new covenant.

So our obligation now is ENTIRELY to Christ and His Spirit. Faith in Christ gives us His life and fellowship with the Spirit gives us His lifestyle. So when a new testament believer reads the scriptures, he no longer reads it as laws to be obeyed and rules to be kept, but as prophecies fullfilled and promises imputed. And he lives them out by the help of the Holy Spirit of promise.

And yes, being led of the Spirit will move us to live out a lot of the morals demanded under the law, coz the law was always a shadow picture of what was to come. But that in no way means the Holy Spirit helps us obey the law. He helps us do what the law couldn't -receive and manifest the life of Christ. Going back to the law after receiving the Holy Spirit is actually the scriptural definition of backsliding. Its like going back to sacrificing lambs for sins after receiving Christ.

May Christ grant us understanding. This debate over the old and new covenant is getting old.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by swtchicgurl: 5:02am On Nov 04, 2013
Goshen360:

Let's wait for an answer. cheesy

What exactly is your mission?

@alwaystrue, welldone. I wish i have so much time to visit NL regularly.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 7:05am On Nov 04, 2013
damilarelr:

I appreciate your observation bro. We're all learning from one another here..nobody is proving to be more knowledgeable than the other. My concern is just that we should open our mind and let the Spirit of God reveal that which is true.

One thing I know, there is more to what we think we've known all about..revelations will never cease.

True that.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 04, 2013
damilarelr:

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the gospel of Grace. Thank You Jesus.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is actually the gospel of the Kingdom.The dispensation of grace would soon be over.Thanks.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 04, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Very true. Jesus was always heavily castigating the pharisees because even their works never reached the heart. It was a show, their prayers, apparent piousness, supposed kindness never reached the heart, they say without doing. Jesus was simply saying if our righteousness is not of the heart, we are no better than pharisees. Even if we give our all out without love, it is waste.
Reading the scripture context He said this is proof enough (wholesome words) and it is a pity many do not understand Jesus even till now and hold words of men over the Truth, Life and Light of the Words of Jesus.

Matthew 5:19-24
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother. without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

As you can see it is too obvious that teaching and doing God's commandments is part of the kingdom of heaven in both first highlighted scriptures and Jesus explained that it is not until someone physically kills another that he has sinned but having hatred is same as killing. Lusting after a woman is adultery. Perfect law of the spirit. So if the person cuts off his body parts, it still doesn't stop hatred and lust in the heart which is still sin.

If we were to watch man's thoughts and intents on video then we will truly believe the heart of man is desperately wicked.

Just put costumes on our heart intents and cast it in a film show and see who we really are? That is the man of the heart. That is why we always need Jesus.
Works are nil if the heart is not right and there is no way that the heart is right that good works will not spring forth.

Christ work on earth was to draw men back to God through His words and actions, providing the Way, Truth and Life, through only Him and He promised to send the Holy Spirit to continue it after He left earth, and His death was a substitute for us to pay the debt we owe God because of our sin for God made us good from creation.
This is the finished work of Christ. His ministry is never contrary to what God had said from the very beginning.
For 3 bear witnes in heaven, The Father, The Word and The Holy Spirit and the three agree in one.
Beautifully analyzed.It just beats my imagination why we can't be open to learning and pick one or two things from this post. I guess the same pharisiacal attitude of i know it all is still at work even in modern day christianity.

The Holy Spirit was at work in the life of Jesus as a Man on earth.So He rightly interpreted the spirit of the Law and not the letters as some would erroneosly have us believe.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 9:31am On Nov 04, 2013
Bidam: Beautifully analyzed.It just beats my imagination why we can't be open to learning and pick one or two things from this post. I guess the same pharisiacal attitude of i know it all is still at work even in modern day christianity.

The Holy Spirit was at work in the life of Jesus as a Man on earth.So He rightly interpreted the spirit of the Law and not the letters as some would erroneosly have us believe.
Thanks @Bidam. When people read the bible, let the scripture come alive to them, there is more to the letters and it depends on the heart that receives it.

At creation, the Spirit moved over the waters and then the WORD came...'Let there be light'. People should understand the Spirit and the Word work together. The Spirit was moving before the Word (John 1:1) was spoken....Spirit of the law, righteousness of the law. Knowing the mind of God and enjoying Life in Christ.

Jesus the Word of God was baptised and the Spirit DESCENDED and REMAINED with Him. John 1:33. Jesus was the FULNESS of GRACE, TRUTH and the SPIRIT on earth, in the Flesh! The Holy Spirit came to continue. Anyone who does not know this and spend time to really understand who they 'profess' to believe has not started at all.

Jesus is the Spirit that removes the veil when the OT is read. I read a passage in Deuteronomy yesterday and I will share here what I gained from it.

@swtchicgurl,
I thank God, it is not my power at all but His revelations.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 04, 2013
ayoku777: Obedience to the law was not the goal of the Father, it was always to be like Christ, a new creation, born again after the image of the Last Adam.
Yet the first Adam full of the Holy Spirit was given a law or instruction which he disobeyed. Can you explain why God gave specific instructions if it wasn't His will from the beginning of creation?
ayoku777:
The law, which was a shadow picture of what was to come, attempted to do make us into that image but couldn't. Because the law, no law infact, can make us like Christ.

Grace, through faith, is the imputation of the life of Christ, which the Holy Spirit now helps us make a lifestyle.

This is the picture, the Holy Spirit is not given to help us obey the law, he came to do what the law couldnt do -make us Christ-like. That was what the law couldnt do.
You are mixing it up here.Jesus learnt obedience on his way to fufilling the heart of the Father.The ONLY way Jesus could have communicated with the Father is by the HOLY SPIRIT, i am damn sure there was no other way while He was on earth. The Holy Spirit communicated the fathers will to Jesus.Jesus even struggled with that instruction at the garden of gethsemane,He has his own will which was against the will of the father.It was only through a 3hrs travail in prayers that he was able to birth God's will and purposes.The point i am making is that Jesus obeyed God's instructions to its fullest.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 10:02am On Nov 04, 2013
You can NEVER be like Christ without obedience. But is it obedience to the Law or obedience to the Spirit? Or the two are the same to you? Coz its like I'm finally getting where the rift is. You call obeying anything law.

I don't call being led of the Spirit obeying the Law and Paul showed that difference in Romans 7v6 -But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held, that we should serve in newness of the spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Obeying the Law and obeying the Spirit is not just semantics. Its the difference between letter and life, legalism and power.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 04, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Thanks @Bidam. When people read the bible, let the scripture come alive to them, there is more to the letters and it depends on the heart that receives it.

At creation, the Spirit moved over the waters and then the WORD came...'Let there be light'. People should understand the Spirit and the Word work together. The Spirit was moving before the Word (John 1:1) was spoken....Spirit of the law, righteousness of the law. Knowing the mind of God and enjoying Life in Christ.

Jesus the Word of God was baptised and the Spirit DESCENDED and REMAINED with Him. John 1:33. Jesus was the FULNESS of GRACE, TRUTH and the SPIRIT on earth, in the Flesh! The Holy Spirit came to continue. Anyone who does not know this and spend time to really understand who they 'profess' to believe has not started at all.

Jesus is the Spirit that removes the veil when the OT is read. I read a passage in Deuteronomy yesterday and I will share here what I gained from it.
Thank you too.You made a tremendous input here.I would love to hear the deuteronomy revelation.I hope it is not Deut.28? Lol.Because it might give rise to more arguments here o.

My understanding of God unveiling purpose is this:"My purpose in creating the world was disrupted, and i'm going to correct it.My Spirit can no longer live in the earthly residence I created.I will therefore restore my Spirit to humanity so my kingdom can function on earth again".

Everything shown in the OT about the intervention of God in the lives of human was just a means to an end.God was revealing to humanity,in effect, "Here is the program: Your rebellion has put you in a hopeless situation.I am therefore going to come to the earth personally, and i will provide a way of restoring purity of heart and wholeness to you,so that the Governor(Holy Spirit) can come to live in you again.

Secondly,I will reappoint the Governor to earth to live within ypu once more and CARRY OUT MY DESIRE TO TRANSFORM the earth into a reflection of my Kingdom.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 04, 2013
ayoku777: You can NEVER be like Christ without obedience. But is it obedience to the Law or obedience to the Spirit? Or the two are the same to you? Coz its like I'm finally getting where the rift is. You call obeying anything law.

I don't call being led of the Spirit obeying the Law and Paul showed that difference in Romans 7v6 -But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held, that we should serve in newness of the spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Obeying the Law and obeying the Spirit is not just semantics. Its the difference between letter and life, legalism and power.
Without the Help of the Holy Spirit we can't even interprete the "Logos".There is actually the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus,that makes us walk in the Love radius of God,hence giving us the enablement to fulfill the whole counsel of God. A chrsitian who feels He has the Holy Spirit and doesn't need to study and meditate on God's word which are His instructions is a disaster waiting to happen.

Like alwaystrue rightly pointed out.The word and the Spirit should agree because they go together.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by ayoku777(m): 10:52am On Nov 04, 2013
Bidam: Without the Help of the Holy Spirit we can't even interprete the "Logos".There is actually the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus,that makes us walk in the Love radius of God,hence giving us the enablement to fulfill the whole counsel of God. A chrsitian who feels He has the Holy Spirit and doesn't need to study and meditate on God's word which are His instructions is a disaster waiting to happen.

Like alwaystrue rightly pointed out.The word and the Spirit should agree because they go together.

Its obvious you don't get me. Let's just forget it.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 10:52am On Nov 04, 2013
@Bidam, Lolz. It is Deuteronomy 20. I will paste just a few scriptures and talk less so you can gain your own revelation.
Deuteronomy 20:1-9
20 When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you. 2 When you are about to go into battle, the priest shall come forward and address the army. 3 He shall say: “Hear, Israel: Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them. 4 For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.”

The only reason why we feel fear is if we go to a place 'alone', or look away from Jesus. 2 Kings 6:17; Matthew 14:27; Ephesians 6:12; I John 4:4;

5 The officers shall say to the army: “Has anyone built a new house and not yet begun to live in it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else may begin to live in it. 6 Has anyone planted a vineyard and not begun to enjoy it? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else enjoy it. 7 Has anyone become pledged to a woman and not married her? Let him go home, or he may die in battle and someone else marry her.”
Let us make Jesus Christ our Lord indeed. Luke 9:23; Matthew 19:29-30

8 Then the officers shall add, “Is anyone afraid or fainthearted? Let him go home so that his fellow soldiers will not become disheartened too.”
9 When the officers have finished speaking to the army, they shall appoint commanders over it.

Can we allow His grace to make us stand despite all? John 6:66-68; Luke 9:62; Romans 8:35-39

@Ayoku, He that is led of the Spirit is not 'UNDER the law' (let us get proper understanding of what this means truly). However our faith in God upholds the law...The law is however spiritual and so it is not of the letter but of the Spirit as led. When we look at the Word of God, what do we see? Do we just see instructions too burdensome or we see the life of it and the spirit beside. It is one thing to discard a 'letter of a law' it is another to discard the whole 'weight' of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam / The Truth About Ruth The 'moabite'..grab Your Bibles / Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.