Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures (5241 Views)

Brazilian Man Initiated At A Sango Shrine In Oyo State (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo Preaching Near Devils Shrine In Sango Ota / Sango Worshiper Gets Burnt While "Breathing Fire" At An Event(pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by bytemeister(m): 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
They say lightning never strikes the same place twice (tell that to Roy Sullivan ) but it definitely roams the Earth, and in days gone must have generated quite some interest with our ancestors. Now, if you were to ask any youngster, who is up to date with movies and comics, who the god of thunder is, the answer will be probably Thor , son of Odin. That is the Norse/Scandinavian god of thunder and lightning. Yet, unless he or she is well read in ancient mythology, he/she will probably be ignorant about the other gods of thunder and lightning. One other popular Western thunder wielding god is good ol’ Zeus, from Greek mythology. Right here in West Africa, we have Sango, the Yoruba god of thunder and lightning. For some reason, they all seem to have a temper. There are a number of thunder gods the world over, I could not possibly list them all here. Now this may seem like a coincidence and a long shot so…let us delve deeper, shall we? In every society, there are rebels and in the spirit realm, this appears to be the same. For some reason gods (like humans) rebel against authority. If they are lucky and it succeeds, they become heroes ( Zeus, Poseidon and Hades ) but if it does not, you end up like these guys: Lucifer, Babalu Aye and Atlas. Classic case of history is written by the victor. I believe we all know the creation story (according to Judaism, Christianity and Islam) and how Lucifer (then an angel) tried to rebel against God but was unsuccessful and was cast down from heaven with his cronies. According to the holy books of those religions, he was forced to take up residence in Hell, which is supposedly underground with fire and brimstone and await judgement day. He spends his time trying to lead mankind to sin so that he has more people to spend eternity in hell with (He also reminds me strongly of Hades, the Greek god of the underworld). According to Yoruba mythology, Babalu Aye is the god the Earth and strongly associated with infectious disease including, interestingly AIDS (I wonder when that cropped up) and healing. Legend has it that, he once challenged the Yoruba Supreme Deity, Olòrún , lost and was made to carry the weight of the Earth as punishment. Which brings us to this guy, Atlas. In Atlas’ case, he was part of the group that was rebelled against (see: the overthrow of Cronus ). It does not matter though, his group lost and he being a very strong fighter was also made to carry the Earth. (I’m thinking aloud here but, if there are supposedly two spiritual beings (Atlas is a Titan), carrying the Earth, isn’t the weight reduced somewhat?) Mankind, it seems can’t seem to find their way to the underworld when they die so there are a number of guides (or just one) who are/is there to assist them on their journey. They/He/She/It is/are (I’ll use ‘they’ from now on) known as psycho-pomps . A few of the most common ones are the Grim Reaper, the Angel of Death, Anubis, Hermes and Azrael. These beings (either collectively or individually) guide the recently deceased towards the white light. The list goes on, but with all these similarities between the various gods of various cultures at different times (too many variants), there could be a link somewhere…..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by johnydon22(m): 1:10pm On Apr 01, 2016
According to Hellenistic theology, the God Zeus himself was the king of the gods and a father to men, Thor is just a son of Odin and Sango if i am correct was once human before he transcended into deityhood.

Only Zeus holds the title of a Creator father figure out of these deities ... So the three cannot be the same.

they may represent anthropomorphically the same natural phenomenon which is lightening but cultural propagation and copy has led to personification of distinct natural manifestations in many cultures.

Yes they might be the personification of the same phenomenon by distinct culture but with the characteristics heaped on them, they cannot be said to be the same deity.

And OP where is Our Igbo God of thunder amadioha ? undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by bytemeister(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2016
johnydon22:
According to Hellenistic theology, the God Zeus himself was the king of the gods and a father to men, Thor is just a son of Odin and Sango if i am correct was once human before he transcended into deityhood.

Only Zeus holds the title of a Creator father figure out of these deities ... So the three cannot be the same.

they may represent anthropomorphically the same natural phenomenon which is lightening but cultural propagation and copy has led to personification of distinct natural manifestations in many cultures.

Yes they might be the personification of the same phenomenon by distinct culture but with the characteristics heaped on them, they cannot be said to be the same deity.

And OP where is Our Igbo God of thunder amadioha ? undecided

Boss I know little about Amadioha plus I have no idea what he looks like....BTW What am trynna point out is that the three are known to wield lightening hence the similarities between them
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by TRHM: 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2016
Igbos don't have a god of thunder....
Igbos actually don't have god of anything....
This video captures that Igbos originally worshiped one God....

https://www.nairaland.com/3023130/message-igbo-people

Alusi, (oracles) in Igbo land kind of do everything....
they are not relegated to specific tasks... they are kind of judged/consulted based on potency and how quick they effect judgement.

I also don't thing Zeus was seen as a creator but the father of the gods... kind of like Odin in Norse traditions.

It's important though, to take these things seriously.
There are not stories but actual events which the scriptures predicted.
unfortunately, Christianity does not teach people this. Most can be found in extra-biblical texts such as the Book of Enoch.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by Oluwaseytiano(m): 1:58pm On Apr 01, 2016
nice thread
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by dabosuker(m): 3:35pm On Sep 14, 2020
bytemeister:
They say lightning never strikes the same place
twice (tell that to Roy Sullivan ) but it definitely
roams the Earth, and in days gone must have
generated quite some interest with our
ancestors. Now, if you were to ask any
youngster, who is up to date with movies and
comics, who the god of thunder is, the answer
will be probably Thor , son of Odin. That is the
Norse/Scandinavian god of thunder and
lightning. Yet, unless he or she is well read in
ancient mythology, he/she will probably be
ignorant about the other gods of thunder and
lightning. One other popular Western thunder
wielding god is good ol’ Zeus, from Greek
mythology. Right here in West Africa, we have
Sango, the Yoruba god of thunder and lightning.
For some reason, they all seem to have
a temper. There are a number of thunder gods
the world over, I could not possibly list them all
here. Now this may seem like a coincidence and
a long shot so…let us delve deeper, shall we?
In every society, there are rebels and in the
spirit realm, this appears to be the same. For
some reason gods (like humans) rebel against
authority. If they are lucky and it succeeds, they
become heroes ( Zeus, Poseidon and Hades ) but
if it does not, you end up like these guys:
Lucifer, Babalu Aye and Atlas. Classic case of
history is written by the victor. I believe we all
know the creation story (according to Judaism,
Christianity and Islam) and how Lucifer (then an
angel) tried to rebel against God but was
unsuccessful and was cast down from heaven
with his cronies. According to the holy books of
those religions, he was forced to take up
residence in Hell, which is supposedly
underground with fire and brimstone and await
judgement day. He spends his time trying to lead
mankind to sin so that he has more people to
spend eternity in hell with (He also reminds me
strongly of Hades, the Greek god of the
underworld). According to Yoruba mythology,
Babalu Aye is the god the Earth and strongly
associated with infectious disease including,
interestingly AIDS (I wonder when that cropped
up) and healing. Legend has it that, he once
challenged the Yoruba Supreme Deity, Olòrún ,
lost and was made to carry the weight of the
Earth as punishment. Which brings us to this
guy, Atlas. In Atlas’ case, he was part of the
group that was rebelled against (see: the
overthrow of Cronus ). It does not matter
though, his group lost and he being a very
strong fighter was also made to carry the Earth.
(I’m thinking aloud here but, if there are
supposedly two spiritual beings (Atlas is a Titan),
carrying the Earth, isn’t the weight reduced
somewhat?)
Mankind, it seems can’t seem to find their way
to the underworld when they die so there are a
number of guides (or just one) who are/is there
to assist them on their journey. They/He/She/It
is/are (I’ll use ‘they’ from now on) known as
psycho-pomps . A few of the most common ones
are the Grim Reaper, the Angel of Death, Anubis,
Hermes and Azrael. These beings (either
collectively or individually) guide the recently
deceased towards the white light.
The list goes on, but with all these similarities
between the various gods of various cultures at
different times (too many variants), there could
be a link somewhere…..

Nice thought process
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by petra1(m): 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2020
They are sons of the fallen angeks and Anakims
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by donnie(m): 8:43pm On Sep 14, 2020
Those people didn't have any culture there in the caves where they originated. They all stole from Yoruba tradition.
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by donnie(m): 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2020
TRHM:
Igbos don't have a god of thunder....
Igbos actually don't have god of anything....
This video captures that Igbos originally worshiped one God....

https://www.nairaland.com/3023130/message-igbo-people

Alusi, (oracles) in Igbo land kind of do everything....
they are not relegated to specific tasks... they are kind of judged/consulted based on potency and how quick they effect judgement.

I also don't thing Zeus was seen as a creator but the father of the gods... kind of like Odin in Norse traditions.

It's important though, to take these things seriously.
There are not stories but actual events which the scriptures predicted.
unfortunately, Christianity does not teach people this. Most can be found in extra-biblical texts such as the Book of Enoch.

Great post
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by MuttleyLaff: 5:19am On Sep 15, 2020
donnie:
Those people didn't have any culture there in the caves where they originated. They all stole from Yoruba tradition.

MuttleyLaff:
Oh, oh, your brain hasnt reset to factory default set yet. Abi?

Where are those your enthusiastic and vocal supporters to come read what you've written and give you a warm back slap well done son, good job son pat on the back, eh?

Of course, chukwu is your god. You, your shameless racist self and your ukwu god, would bow down in the presence of Jesus

You are a jumped-up wannabe, who right from the start had no legs to stand on with. You cant even spell correctly the name of your god. At least four times, it is you spelled it Chuwku. Smh, what do you think is going on there, eh, lol? Its Freudian slip dingbat. Why dont you go back and return after you've learnt how to properly spell your chukwu and not incorrectly four times spell it as chuwku. Can you imagine the dingbat misspelt the name of his god. No reverence, no respect, no honour, no attention to detail, well I am not surprised, it a dumb god and its dumb ignorant idol worshipper frosbel\2. It is because of careless people like you, that is one of the reasons, why God never revealed His personal name to anyone

I have told you earlier what chukwu really means and that it actually means ukwu god. Now here's an opportunity for you frosbel\2, to get educated, by me, freely from the goodness of my heart, on Igbo spirituality you ungrateful ignorant donkey, lol. Yes, let the opportunity present itself to you because I know that you never knew what I am about to share with you before. I know you never had any knowledge about this before now because your original post, the intro with the many misspelling of chuwku instead of chukwu, had aside the misspellings, wrong facts you typed that betrayed how feeble, inadequate and lack in depth you are. Take for example chukwu is not, never from the beginning was chukwu ever chineke, lol. Chineke quite alright, has you put it, is "God who creates" because according to Ndigbo mythtology, chineke, which means "chi" and "eke", lol hence chineke when the two Igbo words are combined, means "Creator" or "reason for the being", (i.e. eke god => god that creates)

Now the transition, upgrade and transformation of chukwu to an equal status and standing as chineke, only happened after Ndigbo have been Christianized, lol. Go ask your village elders frosbel\2 about this, lol, they'll even confirm that "chi," from where "chukwu" was formed from, indeed, is personal god, lol. They'll tell you and confirm all this. Listen man, I am saving you from yourself. You see, pikin wey no gree receive home training for hause, na for outside wey hin reach where public go teach am. This is your case, lol

I havent even scratched the tip of this whole matter, talkless touch the massive rest submerged body and you are doing "... bring out facts, evidence etcetera" If I should pull my hands out of the pocket, you will faint and collapse out of shame and embarrassment of your shortcoming.

At the level you’re at, you're a blind man, lol and the thing is you can't show light to a blind man, lol. Here's another thing to know about yourself frosbel\2 and that is a blind man can never see, he never can see how good you look, lol.

Hmm, go pick up "Things Fall Apart" just like I already had earlier advised you to, lol. Its not much, but it'll at least fill a little bit of your deficiency and knowledge gap of Ndigbo spirituality. Use it to brush up on chukwu too with, mister olodo-rapata-upon-twenty angry angry angry

MuttleyLaff:
Yorubas, by means of singular or conglomerate of verb(s), form names from a word or portmanteau, that describes a state, action or occurrence of the thing referred to. Fridge(s), in Yoruba parlance, is/are called "Ẹrọ amunu tutu or Ẹrọ-amunu-tutu" It is a portmanteau word formulated from translating "machine with a technology which gets the belly/stomach cold," that is what "Ẹrọ amunu tutu or Ẹrọ-amunu-tutu" means, as far as Yorubas are concerned, whenever object are taken from the fridge, eaten or drunk, it ends up making the stomach/belly cold

The English word, God, represents, a kaleidoscope of many meanings, but "OLODUMARE", in Yoruba parlance, is the name assigned to God, and it will interest enquiry minds, to know that "OLODUMARE" is a portmanteau word, formed from putting together, coming from an observation viewpoint, words that describes what this enigmatic and very powerful Supreme Being is.

The other alternate form names of "OLODUMARE" are: "Edumare" and "ElÈdumare"

"OLODUMARE" is also known as "ỌLỌRUN" In Yoruba parlance, "ỌLỌRUN" is another portmanteau word, which means "Owner of the heavens or sky expanse" or "Owner of the firmament" "OLO, ỌLỌ, OL' or ELÈ or EL'" means Owner, while "ỌRUN" means "the heavens or sky expanse" hence "ỌLỌ-RUN"

Cycling back to the portmanteau word "OLODUMARE" name of God, in Yoruba manner of speaking, the name is derived from the following words:
1/ "OLO" - means, Owner,
2/ "ODU" - means, mystery, mystical attributes, a thing or being that is mysterious. It also means energy
3/ "MA" - means, knows
4/ "RE" - actually is "ire" and means, blessing

So when, the words, OLO, ODU, MA and RE, are joined together, we have "OLODUMARE" revealing a profound and thoughtful deep meaning that indicates the truth and/or existence of an Energy, Supreme Spirit Being, who is not just the Owner of unique energy but also is in possession of mystery/mystical knowledge of all manners of blessing.

Since God is the highest level of energy. It is from this energy, that everything is created. In fact, Odu, directs all forces at all level of existence, hence, it is this same mystery and/or energy, that's the power behind the creation of all living and non-living things.

One of the most important of the mystical attributes of God is volition. Without volition, there is no God, and there won't be forces, natural laws, rules and/or principles

Profoundly observing, God has always being EL and this is evident in the Yoruba variant name of God, "ELÈdumare" The prefix EL, as previously intimated, means, Owner, an Influential Owner (e.g. Elijah is: My God, is Yahweh/YHWH, Elihu is: My God, is He, or Ọlọrunfẹmi is: God, loves me)

I dare say Yoruba beliefs and mythos is very rich. As I've earlier advanced, Chukwu, in Igbo cosmos, is a product formed from two Igbo words "chi" and "ukwu", that computes to mean big god or great god. Chukwu, in the real sense of it, isn't Yahweh, the God in the Bible but simply is a god, that now, so as to pretend, is taken to be YHWH or Yahweh, the God in the Bible

The Igbos, and the Yorubas, just as like the Men of Athens, inadvertently, just and unknowingly could, in their general consensus in the existence of a single creator, lol, be worshipping the true God (i.e. Acts 17:23-31)

Now, the thing is, God wants, us having a relationship with Him, and not having a relationshit with god(s) You cannot practice consulting the dead, practice ancestor worship or practice spiritism and be a follower of the one and only true God (i.e. Deuteronomy 18:10-13)

cc: Honcho\slim16, Kobojunkie
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by donnie(m): 9:05am On Sep 15, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Nobody ask you anything. angry
Re: Sango, Thor And Zeus....same Gods, Different Cultures by MuttleyLaff: 6:06pm On Sep 15, 2020
donnie:
Nobody ask you anything. angry
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6248100_obasanjosayingntor_jpeg19035170b7f2fc4a2c166956c808e236
Sifia pains, dey pepper gang pain am
The ting shook am, hin wan cry grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Hell Believers; Are You Going 2 B Watching Us Atheists Burn In Hell From Heaven? / The Revelation About The End Time And Angel Appearance / How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.