Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,734 members, 7,844,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? (6801 Views)

We Used Almajiris To Vote Out Jonathan – Kwankwaso / See What The Almajiris In Nigeria Said About Goodluck Jonathan (READ) / AK47 Rifle Recovered In Islamic School Mosque Full Of Almajiris In Niger-police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by Gbawe: 1:09am On Dec 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Pretty sad  sad

No reason for an able-bodied person to be begging, even in Nigeria.

Are you serious ? Will you yourself not beg  If you are able-bodied , unemployed, hungry and flat broke in a nation without any type of social security or welfare provision? This is part of the problem I have with Nigeria. Many of us who can make a difference are too out of touch with reality to note what must be done . It is totally arrogant to fail to understand that poor folks in Nigeria have no recourse to any form of help or assistance.

I don't understand why Yoruba people would be doing this

My man , wether you know it or not , you sound like an ethnic supremacist. Why would Yoruba people not beg if leadership ineptitude has condemned many folks to the type of poverty that erodes self-pride? We are no different to anyone else. If misruled we will beg also because hunger and pride are not good bedfellows . Better to fight to get rid of misrulers like Alao Akala and Daniel than for us to waste time thinking ourselves too superior to beg .

we shouldn't be copying backward Northern ways.

We are not "copying" anyone. Better , and far more useful, to see this trend as a reaction to poverty and misrule  than to think others are teaching us their vices. This is how , for example, some ignorant Ghanaians think their fellowmen are all pious angels who are corrupted by Nigerians when it is actually bigotry and intellectual lazyness that makes them oblivious to socio-economic issues that is making more Ghanaians turn to crime uncoerced .
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by nduchucks: 1:13am On Dec 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Pretty sad sad

. . .we shouldn't be copying backward Northern ways.

This is a very daft, senseless, and racist statement coming from you, of all people. Which way is the Western way, or Eastern way, if I might ask? Rakimin Dajij
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by Gbawe: 1:15am On Dec 06, 2010
ndu_chucks:

This is a very daft, senseless, and racist statement coming from you, of all people. Which way is the Western way, or Eastern way, if I might ask? Rakimin Dajij

Indeed. Who will not beg , wherever they are from, if dehumanised ?
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 1:18am On Dec 06, 2010
Gbawe:

gbam who will not beg if they have no food to eat

who will not beg if there is no shelter

who will not beg if their children are hungry and begging their parents for food

i ask who

unless they want to start stealing
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by Onlytruth(m): 1:31am On Dec 06, 2010
Gbawe:

Gbawe, I don't think you and ndu_chucks mean the same thing. Let me explain.

You mean, there is a need for government to aid those who fell through the cracks- those who struggled to find a job but failed. Since the government won't do that, they beg. Sometimes justifiable. cool

He means, folks can decide not to work and depend on Allah for food, cloth and shelter. Since Allah has not come yet ('cos he knows he gave them hands and feet to work with but they refuse to use them), they hit the read and beg. Totally unjustifiable, and almost parasitic.

Totally different things.

One is progressive, the other is retrogressive.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by nduchucks: 1:44am On Dec 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

He means, folks can decide not to work and depend on Allah for food, cloth and shelter. Since Allah has not come yet ('cos he knows he gave them hands and feet to work with but they refuse to use them), they hit the read and beg. Totally unjustifiable, and almost parasitic.

Totally different things.

Nwanne m, why must you keep running around the village naked?  How did you reach the conclusion above from what I wrote? Your statement simply exposed your true feeling  on the most marginalized Nigerians, the almanjiris.  You remind me of  Anu anaagba egbe ona ata nri – I’mmo have to finish you off. olodo
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by AkinEgba: 1:45am On Dec 06, 2010
Now this is a compete disgrace to us. How do our Yoruba supremacists here on NL react? I was at Ibadan recently and you will not believe the number of beggars in the motor parks and streets whom I noticed clearly as Yoruba. Where is Babapupa, stranger, Sefago, Ileke-Idi and the rest of them?
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 1:46am On Dec 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Gbawe, I don't think you and ndu_chucks mean the same thing. Let me explain.

You mean, there is a need for government to aid those who fell through the cracks- those who struggled to find a job but failed. Since the government won't do that, they beg. Sometimes justifiable. cool

[b]He means, folks can decide not to work and depend on Allah for food, cloth and shelter. Since Allah has not come yet ('cos he knows he gave them hands and feet to work with but they refuse to use them), they hit the read and beg. Totally unjustifiable, and almost parasitic.

Totally different things.[/b]

why na.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why angry angry angry
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 1:47am On Dec 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Now this is a compete disgrace to us. How do our Yoruba supremacists here on NL react? I was at Ibadan recently and you will not believe the number of beggars in the motor parks and streets whom I noticed clearly as Yoruba. Where is Babapupa, stranger, Sefago, Ileke-Idi and the rest of them?
grin grin grin grin grin

no kill person
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 1:50am On Dec 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

by the way why do u have yoruba name an yet call ur brothers supremacist when it is clear that they are not
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 2:36am On Dec 06, 2010
sirdapo we can not read u postooo
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by ekubear1: 2:37am On Dec 06, 2010
Spambot swallowed my previous post, as well as the one I made under an account made by my buddy.

Long story short:
a) no whole and hearty man should be begging.
b) Social security is for the old or sick, not for the whole and hearty.
c) I'm not an ethnic supremacist, only very critical and concerned by bad behavior by my people.
d) Blaming corruption and misrule for bad behavior makes no sense; Nigeria is not the only poorly run country on earth.

EDIT: Lanre if you are reading this, I hope you see what I do in my free time  tongue
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 2:40am On Dec 06, 2010
eku_bear:

Spambot swallowed my previous post, as well as the one I made under an account made by my buddy.

Long story short:
a) no whole and hearty man should be begging.
b) Social security is for the old or sick, not for the whole and hearty.
c) I'm not an ethnic supremacist, only very critical and concerned by bad behavior by my people.
d) Blaming corruption and misrule for bad behavior makes no sense; Nigeria is not the only poorly run country on earth.

then again u are right but if there are no jobs to do and no money to even start a very small business like selling pur water

how do u expect them to survive
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by ekubear1: 2:45am On Dec 06, 2010
How much money do you need to start selling pure water? Or to cook and prepare food on the roadside? Or to move to a village and work as a farmer? Or to work as a security man? Or cook? Or houseboy?

I remember when I went to the market in Abuja (Otako market, iirc?), there would be little kids with wheelbarrows who helped people move the goods they bought from the market to the car.

There is nothing wrong in my opinion with doing hard jobs that others find undesirable. You can start from the bottom, work hard and rise. It might not even be in your own generation there is breakthrough, it might be only your grandchildren who are able to break through. But you have to start from somewhere.

Beggars contribute nothing to society, and we cannot encourage healthy and hearty people to be begging. It is madness and only leads to ruin.

1 Like

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 2:48am On Dec 06, 2010
eku_bear:

How much money do you need to start selling pure water? Or to cook and prepare food on the roadside? Or to move to a village and work as a farmer? Or to work as a security man? Or cook? Or houseboy?

I remember when I went to the market in Abuja (Otako market, iirc?), there would be little kids with wheelbarrows who helped people move the goods they bought from the market to the car.

There is nothing wrong in my opinion with doing hard jobs that others find undesirable. You can start from the bottom, work hard and rise. It might not even be in your own generation there is breakthrough, it might be only your grandchildren who are able to break through. But you have to start from somewhere.

Beggars contribute nothing to society, and we cannot encourage healthy and hearty people to be begging. It is madness and only leads to ruin.

ok we know yorubas are sometime lazy people who would perfer to be a tout or beg if the job given to them is not good enough

unlike the igbos that would do anything for money

how do tend to tackle that
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by ekubear1: 2:56am On Dec 06, 2010
alj harem:

ok we know yorubas are sometime lazy people who would perfer to be a tout or beg if the job given to them is not good enough
Eh, I hope that this is not true  undecided If it is, we will need to change. You'll not be able to compete against the other nations of the world like Japan, Germany, etc if your people are lazy and decadent. This is part of a lot of the problem I have with native born Americans for example. They are on average lazy and don't like working hard or studying. Instead of competing, they want to whine and complain that the government should protect them.

We cannot afford to have the same mentality in Yorubaland, especially as we are further behind than the leading countries of the world.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by Onlytruth(m): 2:59am On Dec 06, 2010
@ ndu_chucks,

Everybody is hustling in Igboland. EVERYBODY.
NO HAND OUTS. It is called surviving. My own God does not support laziness.

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by igbobuigbo: 3:00am On Dec 06, 2010
alj harem:

unlike the igbos that would do anything for money

how do tend to tackle that

Don't know what you mean, but is begging for money not doing anything for money? Do you know the loss of self respect and self pride involved in begging, especially if you are not physically/mentally handicaped?

1 Like

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by Onlytruth(m): 3:01am On Dec 06, 2010
In the pictures I posted, I don't see any beggar in site, yet these are ordinary folks hustling to survive.
That is why my God will always fight their battles for them.
You do your part, God happily does the rest.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by AloyEmeka8: 3:10am On Dec 06, 2010
DapoBear:

Pretty sad  sad

No reason for an able-bodied person to be begging, even in Nigeria. I don't understand why Yoruba people would be doing this. . .we shouldn't be copying backward Northern ways.

Imagine; so Northerners invented begging? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 4:00am On Dec 06, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Don't know what you mean, but is begging for money not doing anything for money? Do you know the loss of self respect and self pride involved in begging, especially if you are not physically/mentally handicaped?

mumu did anyone say igbos beg for money

why do like twisting words
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by igbobuigbo: 4:20am On Dec 06, 2010
alj harem:

mumu did anyone say igbos beg for money

why do like twisting words

I see that you are mentally challenged. You said Igbo can do anything for money, unlike Yoruba. So I asked you if begging is not doing anything (something) for money?
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by edoyad(m): 8:01am On Dec 06, 2010
gbam who will not beg if they have no food to eat who will not beg if there is no shelter who will not beg  their children are hungry  and begging their parents for food i ask who  unless they want to start stealing

Stop deceiving yourself.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by nduchucks: 2:32pm On Dec 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

In the pictures I posted, I don't see any beggar in site, yet these are ordinary folks hustling to survive.
That is why my God will always fight their battles for them.
You do your part, God happily does the rest.

Onlytruth, you should be honest with yourself for once. Some might just wonder whether there is a preference for armed robbery and kidnapping among the down trodden in your neck of the woods, as opposed to begging. Either way, thank your stars that you were born into your family by the accident of birth and nothing else. You are no better than the almajiris who you are poking fun of.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by aljharem(m): 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Onlytruth, you should be honest with yourself for once. Some might just wonder whether there is a preference for armed robbery and kidnapping among the down trodden in your neck of the woods, as opposed to begging. Either way, thank your stars that you were born into your family by the accident of birth and nothing else. You are no better than the almajiris who you are poking fun of.

thank u my brother

some people think this is an ethnic problem but it deeper than that
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by oludashmi(f): 2:59pm On Dec 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Never happening. Polygamous Igbo men are very rich (Ekene dili chukwu class) and don't have more than three wives. 98% of Igbos are monogamous.
The boldened is by your personal statistics thru your keyboard
Nigerians/Africans are polygamous.
Every living man is polygamous by nature, if given same measure of wealth, exposure, freedom etc and no culture in Nigeria/Africa opposes polygamy. But thanks to the new generation men and Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by omongbati: 5:21am On Dec 21, 2010
Are the almajiris still there? Poverty wan kill awon omo Awo

1 Like

Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by onyengbu1(m): 9:42am On Dec 21, 2010
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin

i thought it was only northerners that were almajiris grin grin grin grin

now yorubas [/b]are now what they call [b]us grin grin

i wan die grin grin grin

and I ask, alj Harem;

[size=18pt]Who are you? I thought you are igbo from anambra?[/size] grin grin
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by kobojunkii(f): 10:10am On Dec 21, 2010
Most of the Almanjiris is Yorubaland are Igbos!

I am not making this up. It is welll documented.

Yorubas do not beg, they are upstanding members of the society.
Re: Emerging Social Almajiris In Yorubaland? by OchiAgha2(m): 11:16am On Dec 21, 2010
kobojunkii:

Most of the Almanjiris is Yorubaland are Igbos!

I am not making this up. It is welll documented.

Yorubas do not beg, they are upstanding members of the society.

That would be a lie. I have NEVER seen an Igbo beggar in Igboland. Why would they start begging in another man's land? Igbo culture is not based on begging. You either work, or die. That is the simple thing we do. To beg is beneath us. An Igbo man would move in with his extended family and do chores around s house instead of begging. Igbos have preventing of proverbs concerning beggars and none of them are good. There is no type of social welfare in Igboland. Work, work and more work is the philosophy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mark Urges Senators To Fast For Super Eagles Victory / More Pictures Of Buhari's Visit To Kano Today / Why Do Some People Think Gtbank Will Lose And They Have Monopoly To Boycott.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.