Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? (22937 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by itzsuave(m): 8:23pm On Nov 03, 2013
Irises: Naija. you people can write oo. the op asked a question.. i was thinking i will see something like YES or NO.. all this writings dey kill battery
. Lol
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by drnairalov: 8:25pm On Nov 03, 2013
yeah..i do send mine 2 school..but not anymore as d stupid guy ran away from home...after i have bought new school bag, books nd other school materials 4 him 2 resume JSS1...d idiat ddnt appreciate it apparently..i scolded him 4 something he did wrong, and dat waz it he took off!! leavn d house,!!! bunch of unappreciative elements...some of dese houe helps re so rude..dey want to be telling u what to do, exchanging words with U..like dey re gods of d house

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nicepoker(m): 8:27pm On Nov 03, 2013
AONHBAM. Assiociation of nigerian house boys and maids.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by itzsuave(m): 8:27pm On Nov 03, 2013
drnairalov: yeah..i do send mine 2 school..but not anymore as d stupid guy ran away from home...after i have bought new school bag, books nd other school materials 4 him 2 resume JSS1...d idiat ddnt appreciate it apparently..i scolded him 4 something he did wrong, and dat waz it he took off!! leavn d house,!!! bunch of unappreciative elements...some of dese houe helps re so rude..dey want to be telling u what to do, exchanging words with U..like dey re gods of d house
I wonder how long u've been waiting 2 get that off ur chestundecided

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Oyiboman69: 8:28pm On Nov 03, 2013
love your neighbour as yourself.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by simdam500(m): 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2013
Knew of a family... Tho dey send their maid to sch but she(maid) pays back with poor job and nasty errands like say she force dem to send her go sch... Smh
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by alnaijiri(m): 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2013
No, and there is no such requirement. Legal or moral. By employing her in our house, we're already giving her a better life than she would have back in the village. Of course, I don't believe in mistreating a maid who is Muslim (and Islam prohibits it), but I'm under no obligation to pay for her education.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by donphilopus: 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2013
I'm not sure
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by map96(m): 8:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
I rememba d gelz livin wit ma skul propietress.. Dey r frm togo.... D woman dint allow dem to go to church talkless of skul n yet she owns both primary n secondary skul... Feel sowie for dos gelz...
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by drnairalov: 8:38pm On Nov 03, 2013
I rememer 1 housegirl in my church, I never knew she was an housegirl, i thought she was d sister of her boss oo...good clothes and all..d way she talks 2 her boss, doesnt resemble housegirl or boss relationship..dey re like families...but some people re just programmed 2 be stupid,

This girl can give testimony in church ehn, when she is giving d testimony she wud be rolling on the floor blah blah blah, almost erry sunday she gives testimony u wud think she killed Jesus, thus i thought dis gal was strong in faith nd a good Xtain// just 4 me to hear 1 day dat toyin went for an abortion shocked, she almost lost her life in the abortion, thats how we got 2 hear, plus dat waz d second abortion she carried, d guy self na mai church e dey 2 sad...it was when dis happend..i knew d girl was just an housegirl!! nd not a family member!! choi her boss tried oo..she even sent d girl 2 a private secondary school
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by mizzy007(m): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2013
If u cnt send ur help(s) 2 school den xpect illitrate n unhygienic results

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by devour129: 8:45pm On Nov 03, 2013
Am an educationist so av always had this principle that everyone around me must be educated both house helps and even down to driver. You won't believe how much I have spent in trying to make house girl get a good education,I even go as far as private lesson when they are not doing well but they end up running away.this kept on happening until my mum adviced me to ask then what they want instead of imposing my you must go to school rules and since then my house helps stay longer. Point is most dont want to go to school,they prefer being paid and learning a trade than going to school. The best I do is help open and account for them,get them ATM n teach them how to use it,I also teach them while teaching my kids.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by naijafresh: 8:50pm On Nov 03, 2013
No wonder Nigeria is listed as one of the countries where slavery is rampant.

Many people who have maids, house boys or domestic servants will cringe if they were told they had slaves but is there any real difference to what they go through and slavery?

Modern day slavery is present everywhere in Nigerian society, we are just ignorant of the fact just because we didn't buy them in a slave market.
If a man or woman brings a girl to your house and you pay them a fee then proceed to deny the poor girl food unless she works till she drops, an education because she isn't your child and a comfortable place to sleep also because she is not your child and she is not allowed to leave of her own free will as well, what does that make her? A house help or a slave?
Can you house help provide evidence that you pay her? does she have any time off from work to rest? Does she get meals when the family gets meals?

If you have a school age child in your house and you deny them basic human freedoms and importantly, an education then I'm afraid you are keeping a slave
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 8:50pm On Nov 03, 2013
Orikinla:

You are a role model worthy of emulation.
Please, permit me to use your example in the documentary we are going to produce on this subject. Kulyie's eye witness account is heart breaking and will also be documented.
The co-sponsors are reading all the comments.
Please don't forget to emphasize in your documentary that underage labour is illegal in Nigeria.
Sending them to school does not change that fact.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by naijafresh: 8:51pm On Nov 03, 2013
@devour129

I like your initiative.
I guess all you need to do is offer them the choice of an education, it is up to them to accept.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by devour129: 8:51pm On Nov 03, 2013
drnairalov: yeah..i do send mine 2 school..but not anymore as d stupid guy ran away from home...after i have bought new school bag, books nd other school materials 4 him 2 resume JSS1...d idiat ddnt appreciate it apparently..i scolded him 4 something he did wrong, and dat waz it he took off!! leavn d house,!!! bunch of unappreciative elements... hsome of dese houe helps re so rude..dey want to be telling u what to do, exchanging words with U..like dey re gods of d house
had that issue several times ! And I stay in town so I can't go looking for schools in the outskirts of abuja so I use schools in Wuse but still they won't go to school. There was one girl they brought for me from the east,she said she finished secondary but ddnt know her alphabets ,the school said she had to start from js1 and she agreed.after paying school fees,uniform and after school lesson for her,she decided she ddnt want to start from js1 that she wanted to go to university can u imagine someone that doesn't know her alphabet shocked
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by freecocoa(f): 8:53pm On Nov 03, 2013
Just last week I fell out with one woman who put pepper in the eyes and vajayjay of her 10 years old house help, the woman didn't even feel any remorse, if not for other people we nearly fight sef.

Its really disheartening the way some of these helps are treated by their bosses. I don't plan to have a house help but if I eventually do, she'll attend the same school my kids would, so help me God.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by devour129: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2013
naijafresh: @devour129

I like your initiative.
I guess all you need to do is offer them the choice of an education, it is up to them to accept.
my dear I try my best. My sisters n friends berate me on how I treat my girls,they feel I spoil them n to an extent is true.if you see them you won't believe they are house girls but that doesn't me I don't discipline them.whatever I can do to my kids I do to my house helps so if you keep body cos I shout for u I go show you door.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by drnairalov: 8:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
devour129: had that issue several times ! And I stay in town so I can't go looking for schools in the outskirts of abuja so I use schools in Wuse but still they won't go to school. There was one girl they brought for me from the east,she said she finished secondary but ddnt know her alphabets ,the school said she had to start from js1 and she agreed.after paying school fees,uniform and after school lesson for her,she decided she ddnt want to start from js1 that she wanted to go to university can u imagine someone that doesn't know her alphabet shocked
sorry ehn cry
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
Listen guys, I don't care how well you treat your maid and I don't care if you send her to queens college; as long as you have a minor in your house as a maid, it is illegal and you could get arrested for that.
a colleague of mine once went to the police to report an incident in which his housemaid ran away with his money and wife's jewelries he was immediately detained for child trafficking and abuse.
I advise people to always go for paid nannies that are above 18yrs of age, anything short of this is wickedness

9 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
devour129: my dear I try my best. My sisters n friends berate me on how I treat my girls,they feel I spoil them n to an extent is true.if you see them you won't believe they are house girls but that doesn't me I don't discipline them.whatever I can do to my kids I do to my house helps so if you keep body cos I shout for u I go show you door.

However well you may be treating them, you are breaking the law by employing underage children.
The responsible and civic thing to do would be to adopt them as your wards, not keep them as employees. undecided

We all want a greater Nigeria, but in our private lives, we ridicule its laws consistently undecided

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by freecocoa(f): 9:01pm On Nov 03, 2013
ifyalways: ^ ^kulyie never disappoints with her stories. Choi cheesy

E che kwa'm na obu so'm furu ya. Nwanne'm asi a ga egbu mmadu grin grin grin.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by freecocoa(f): 9:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
kulyie: I remember some time ago i went to greet my aunt and so we were jisting and the next thing she said was that i was about goig to my friends house in an hours time before you came,give some minutes,let me go and dress up so we will go together but meanwhile eat.i said ok,so i went to the pot to serve myself.so anyway,i was done with the food,left it in the kitchen and then we both left the house.when we got to her friends house,we exchanged pleaseantries and my aunty asked her friend that she has been looking at this house since,its only you and your husbands bedroom, kids bedroom and play room you guys have,where does your house help sleep.the friend said in the kitchen on the floor.my auntys eyes turned towards me and i looked at her too in shock.i said concrete floor? She said ehen.i said ok,where is she now? The woman said she has gone to pick her kids from school,i said what about her,isnt she in school? She looked at me strange and said why should she be in school,na me born am,abi na me go pay for her school fees when i get 2 pikin wey me and my husband still dey struggle to pay their school fees.my aunty interjected and said ok so how do you compensate her for all the chores shes doing,she said i have paid off the agent who brought her so it is as good as i bought her.she doesnt have any right to anything in this house except food and i must make sure she has washed my childrens school uniform,socks,dishes,everybody has eating before she eats.i had to cut in and said aunty thats not fair na.even though no one knows what youre doing to her and she is vulnerable,God is seeing you o,dont let him visit his judgement upon you through your kids.she said abegiiiiii,spare me.if i send her to school now,she will start getting conscious of herself and her looks and she will start competing with me.i said haba aunty,an 11 year old girl.she said,you you dont even know anything,wait till you get in my shoes.anyway to cut the long story short,when we left her place and my aunty was driving in the car,i said aunty mi, she said aburo,i said can i advise you,she said,i am listening.i noded and said this woman you call your friend,i dont like your relationship with her.this is not the kind of woman you should be hanging around with.God forbid eveil,if your enemy dies and for one reason or the other your child stays with her,just no that your childs life will be messed up.imagine how she is treating her house help as if she is not even a human being.such a little girl like that,an illiterate, worstill sleeping in the kitchen and eating the remenants of everyones plate packed together.that is what we do for our dog.that girl is too small for that na.my aunty said,well,thats true,i will talk to her but i had the intention of talking to her however not in your presence because she might feel embarassed that she is talking to her in the presence of her friends younger one,i said better.

Infact ehen.smh
My people call this "ushi".
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by sinegy: 9:08pm On Nov 03, 2013
Lobeez: Listen guys, I don't care how well you treat your maid and I don't care if you send her to queens college; as long as you have a minor in your house as a maid, it is illegal and you could get arrested for that.
a colleague of mine once went to the police to report an incident in which his housemaid ran away with his money and wife's jewelries he was immediately detained for child trafficking and abuse.
I advise people to always go for paid nannies that are above 18yrs of age, anything short of this is wickedness
double seconded

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Folajay22(m): 9:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
The truth of this whole matter is..the helps are human too..and deserve to be treated as such..as u would want someone else to treat ur own kids..but please..check this out..my mum once had a help..a little girl..who was already almost beyond pri school age..but couldnt read or write..so my mum being a teacher decided to send the girl to school..and at the year end..she goes back to her family..do u know that when her family found out my mum was sending the help to school..they GOT ANGRY and made sure she never came back..scared and intimidated by their child's new found knowledge..so sometimes..the host is not always at fault when the help doesnt go to school..the country is still with ignorant pple who frown at formal education
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by naijafresh: 9:15pm On Nov 03, 2013
AjanleKoko:

However well you may be treating them, you are breaking the law by employing underage children.
The responsible and civic thing to do would be to adopt them as your wards, not keep them as employees. undecided

We all want a greater Nigeria, but in our private lives, we ridicule its laws consistently undecided

Sounds like a way to legalise having under aged children working in your household. Some times the children are distant relatives from the village.

However we see it or where the child or maid is related to you or not or even if not underaged, she's still entitled to a bed, food and clothing and a rest period while she is working/living in your house.
This is I'm afraid a core tradition in Nigerian society.

Those who don't have maids think about it, regarding your own children living with you and doing household chores, do you not feed, clothe and educate them? or give them time off to rest from house work etc?
So why should another child be different?
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 03, 2013
Royally fooked country angry. Why employ a child as a maid in the first place? You can't cope with your chores, employ an adult chikena! And the same people have the effrontery to complain about the government, mtchew!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by labiola: 9:20pm On Nov 03, 2013
This is a very interesting topic, let me share my experince with you. Sometimes last year we decided to engage an housemaid after so many pressure from my wife. She joined us in August 2012 and we enrolled her to private school and she was admitted to JSS 3, we paid close to N80,000 for her uniform, school fees and other expenses, that was the agreement we had with her mummy. So we continue to leave together as family, there is no disrimination, whatever my children eat is what she will eat. She shared the same room with my sister in law, practically all she does is domestic chore.
Initially, everything was going on fine untill my wife started complianing about her disobedience and her bad behaiviour, atimes I will "shakara" her that I will be beat her, though eventually I did beat her once after so many warning.
After, the first term, her result was released and she came first, I was so impressed and I asked my wife to get her some cloths which she did. I took this lady as my blood sister. She resumed the second term so we paid another 35k for her school fees and juniour waec exams, atfter the payment, her mother called me to request for money which I turned down because our agreement was to send her daughter to school. The problem started when she went for holiday with her mummy, then my kids were not around so we decided to allow her to spend sometimes with her mum. The day she suppose to return, we didn't see her and her mother called to apologise that she was going through some deliverance which after she will come. There after she returned and resumed school, she did her junior waec while we are expecting her result, the mum called me that she was tired of lagos that she is planning to relocate to her village hence she will be going with her daughter, my mum called her mother to come and they had discussion, base on their discussion, my mum told me that her mother needs money hence, I should withdraw the girl from private school and register her to public school so that I can be given her mum 5k every month, which to me it doesn't make sense to withdraw her from private school to public. I agreed to leave her to continue in private school while I will give her mum N5k every month. While we are still expecting her result , her mum called that she has changed her mind to come and pick her daughter, then both myself and wife was not around, I was furious and I just told my mum to allow her to take her daughter, that was how they left my house, uptill now I have no information about her whereabout. This is my experience with househelp. Atimes I don't blame people that maltreat them. By and large I will advise whoever that needs to engage house help should try and give then something in return such that in the nearest future they will remember you for good. If you can't send them to school let them go and learn something.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 9:20pm On Nov 03, 2013
naijafresh:

Sounds like a way to legalise having under aged children working in your household. Some times the children are distant relatives from the village.

If you legally adopt them, they become your children, and you become officially responsible for them.
That would make people think hard about things. I mean, if you are so caring towards them, and want them to have a better life, then adopt them!

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
labiola: This is a very interesting topic, let me share my experince with you. Sometimes last year we decided to engage an housemaid after so many pressure from my wife. She joined us in August 2012 and we enrolled her to private school and she was admitted to JSS 3, we paid close to N80,000 for her uniform, school fees and other expenses, that was the agreement we had with her mummy. So we continue to leave together as family, there is no disrimination, whatever my children eat is what she will eat. She shared the same room with my sister in law, practically all she does is domestic chore.
Initially, everything was going on fine untill my wife started complianing about her disobedience and her bad behaiviour, atimes I will "shakara" her that I will be beat her, though eventually I did beat her once after so many warning.
After, the first term, her result was released and she came first, I was so impressed and I asked my wife to get her some cloths which she did. I took this lady as my blood sister. She resumed the second term so we paid another 35k for her school fees and juniour waec exams, atfter the payment, her mother called me to request for money which I turned down because our agreement was to send her daughter to school. The problem started when she went for holiday with her mummy, then my kids were not around so we decided to allow her to spend sometimes with her mum. The day she suppose to return, we didn't see her and her mother called to apologise that she was going through some deliverance which after she will come. There after she returned and resumed school, she did her junior waec while we are expecting her result, the mum called me that she was tired of lagos that she is planning to relocate to her village hence she will be going with her daughter, my mum called her mother to come and they had discussion, base on their discussion, my mum told me that her mother needs money hence, I should withdraw the girl from private school and register her to public school so that I can be given her mum 5k every month, which to me it doesn't make sense to withdraw her from private school to public. I agreed to leave her to continue in private school while I will give her mum N5k every month. While we are still expecting her result , her mum called that she has changed her mind to come and pick her daughter, then both myself and wife was not around, I was furious and I just told my mum to allow her to take her daughter, that was how they left my house, uptill now I have no information about her whereabout. This is my experience with househelp. Atimes I don't blame people that maltreat them. By and large I will advise whoever that needs to engage house help should try and give then something in return such that in the nearest future they will remember you for good. If you can't send them to school let them go and learn something.

I have no sympathy for you. By allowing her to live in your house as a maid, you encouraged the actions of her wicked mother intent on using her young child as her meal ticket. If you feel like giving back to society, go and adopt a child legally but if you are after a maid, employ an adult.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by naijafresh: 9:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
@labiola

What a shame!
I guess most of them come from a background of poverty hence such behaviour.
The mother just wanted the money she could get from 'selling' her daughter and has probably given her to someone else who is giving her the money and not sending her to school
The poor girl probably had no say in the matter

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by naijafresh: 9:32pm On Nov 03, 2013
@naijababe

That was a harsh statement to make.
One man can't change the system but he can make a difference, he was trying to make a difference here.
I guess he will be better off employing someone formally next time i.e. an adult.

Remember one reason why families go for underaged maids is women don't want an adult female in their household for obvious reasons.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Can I Get A Bachelor Single Certificate In Nigeria (marriage Registry?) / If A Man Doesn't Marry When He Is Broke. Marriage Becomes Difficult When Rich / Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 17 Years Of Marriage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.