Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,366 members, 7,826,437 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? (22983 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by greggng: 5:04am On Nov 04, 2013
Each time I remenber what I went through in their hands I always cry cos many are going through the same unfortunately most of them endure it cos they believe the have no option. If only the govt will establish a welfare program like in the usa no one will be servant to anyone. My younger brother did industrial attachment under a swiss engineer. The man is ab out 65 years old. One day he called all the workers and shared all his properties to them cos he wants to relocate back to swizerland for retirement.After sharing the properties and all the staff were happy, the man starts crying. According to him , he cried cos he is gonna die of lonliness when he gets home.he said in swiss everybody is big man and no one is ready to do most of the jobs nigerians do for him. The point I am making is that if the less priveledged get social benefit every month, the rich will beg for people to help them and the will value what they ve

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Ugosample(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2013
This thing is two sided. Many women treat them like shit in the house, maltreat them, etc. On the other hand, some househelps become ingrates when they're treated well, they challenge their caretakers and cause other problems. This thing tire me. I guess it's the peculiar nature of Nigerians... Always wanting to oppress. I will relate my aunty's experience later on this thread.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 04, 2013
high-chief:
Some of the people making contributions here have never stayed in Nigeria or only know about Nigeria from what they read on nairaland and believed me if u think u know about the real Nigeria because you are a nairalander then I feel sorry for u, u are what we call tolotolo obodo oyibo .The issue of having house helps is a common culture here and NO you just don't adopt the kid no matter how much u love them its not that easy. I started getting calls from a lot of my relations asking me to take one of their kids with me Immediately after my marriage they strongly believe that the child will have a better chance in life, some of these folks have over 8 kids. One time I traveled and my wife feel ill and my aunty who came around to help out left her 11 years old daughter behind, she was like our first daughter until my wife had our child, today she is loves taking care of her little sister. The point is taking these kids into your home should be about giving them a chance because if their parent have what it takes they won't let them become househelps and YES every kid in the house MUST run errands including my own because I don't want to raise lazy aldults.

My dear I am a pure bred Nigerian, I was born bred and even buttered in naija.
you need to educate yourself my dear, child labour is morally, ethically and legally wrong.
its just like people who try to justify children engaged in street trading, there is just no justification for this evil.
Now get this clear, if you accept to have a young child in your home to be a foster parent because the parent cannot cater for the child, it's a different thing but if your intentions are for the child to help out with domestic work then that my dear is a criminal act. You can go find out from a lawyer or a police officer, like I said earlier, my colleague has once been detained because of this.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Ugosample(m): 6:36am On Nov 04, 2013
Ugosample: This thing is two sided. Many women treat them like shit in the house, maltreat them, etc. On the other hand, some househelps become ingrates when they're treated well, they challenge their caretakers and cause other problems. This thing tire me. I guess it's the peculiar nature of Nigerians... Always wanting to oppress. I will relate my aunty's experience later on this thread.
My aunt got a help to stay with her. This girl is from the village and she took her in as her own, gave her good clothes and sent her to the same school with her youngest daughter. But as time went on, she became unruly, stealing things and engaging my aunt in a shouting match. She also left the house a couple of times to God knows where and she later came home with an STD (don't ask me which one) she was still treated and forgiven, but that did not stop her unruly behaviour. Her friends and sisters make jest of her, saying that this is what you get when you treat them with love, etc. I'm not saying they should be treated badly, but many of them are INGRATES.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 6:47am On Nov 04, 2013
Ugosample: My aunt got a help to stay with her. This girl is from the village and she took her in as her own, gave her good clothes and sent her to the same school with her youngest daughter. But as time went on, she became unruly, stealing things and engaging my aunt in a shouting match. She also left the house a couple of times to God knows where and she later came home with an STD (don't ask me which one) she was still treated and forgiven, but that did not stop her unruly behaviour. Her friends and sisters make jest of her, saying that this is what you get when you treat them with love, etc. I'm not saying they should be treated badly, but many of them are INGRATES.

that's what you get for turning a fellow human into a slave
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by eprynce(m): 6:54am On Nov 04, 2013
To think that the same Nigerians complain of ancient slavery/colonialism...yet they bat no eyelid while enslaving others cry
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by adconline(m): 7:09am On Nov 04, 2013
Too bad these minors are abused by their parents/relations who give them out as house helps and their host families are far worse.
It's the problem with Naija. Every fcking soul wants to have kids and NOBODY is talking about taking care of them.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by mu2sa2: 7:16am On Nov 04, 2013
greatgod2012: The fact is that, if you must have a househelp, be ready to treat him/her like one of your kids, anything short of that will definitely bring the wrath of God on that family.

God bless u
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by mfm04622: 7:40am On Nov 04, 2013
Lobeez: Listen guys, I don't care how well you treat your maid and I don't care if you send her to queens college; as long as you have a minor in your house as a maid, it is illegal and you could get arrested for that.
a colleague of mine once went to the police to report an incident in which his housemaid ran away with his money and wife's jewelries he was immediately detained for child trafficking and abuse.
I advise people to always go for paid nannies that are above 18yrs of age, anything short of this is wickedness
The world isn't black & white. It is usually grey! It is great opportunity for a maid to get a good family. First question, when staying with her parents, does he/she have access to education? Answer is usually no. What of standard of living? Usually better when staying with employers. I have a maid. She attend a private school that cost me 25k per term. Of course my child attend a better school but i struggle to pay my child school fees. I can send him to that school because i have only a child. My maid eat what we eat, is attended to in the same hospital. Her main job is to take care of my child as i have an older woman come on weekends to wash and iron and other heavy stuff. I understand the law is required to protect house maids from being treated badly but to make it illegal? That is removing opportunity some of them get for social mobility.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by SalC: 7:46am On Nov 04, 2013
The name housemaid itself is a turn off for me. If you keep a child under your roof to help you yet you refuse sending her to school, take it or leave it; you are a murderer. Will you not do anything possible to send your own child to school? Do same for your house help.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by mfm04622: 7:49am On Nov 04, 2013
Lobeez:

Lazy child trafficker, how would you feel if you were still in some white dudes sugar plantation huh?
Househelps can leave anytime they want. They have that choice. Slaves don't. Big difference

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by LBT: 7:51am On Nov 04, 2013
Orikinla: Many families in urban areas in Nigeria and other countries in the world have housemaids and houseboys and they are the popular domestic workers in many homes.
There are those who cannot do without them.

I am not really against families with housemaids and houseboys, but I am really concerned about how they treat them.
We have heard and read of many reports of horrible and terrible things done to housemaids and houseboys by their employers.
In many homes, they treat them without respect and so they maltreat them.
I have seen where dogs in the mansion are better treated than housemaids and houseboys in Nigeria.
I mean the dogs can sit on the rug with the family, but the housemaids and houseboys cannot do so.

The worst is to deprive your housemaid or houseboy of education.
It is evil and wicked not to send the housemaid or houseboy of school age to the nearest school.
Depriving your housemaid or houseboy of basic primary or secondary school education is dangerous to your own security and welfare.
Lest we forget, your innocent children are often left in the care of your housemaids and houseboys and imagine what kind of knowledge they would share with your children if they are not educated!
And when you maltreat them, you are going to end up misleading your own children with your bad example in parenting and guardianship.

I have had several house boys and housemaids who me and my wife send to the best school around where ever we live, they are always given a room in our flat which is well equipped and
their own private toilet and bathroom; we eat and drink the same food and drinks , we even give them allowance apart from their salary and even buy them cloths,shoes,watches etc but alas! 99% of them are evil, people think that they are all related to use because we treat them right but they steal, lie; one even poisoned my 2nd son. Only God saved him; you have to pray well and Investigate before taken any house help.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by anonimi: 7:53am On Nov 04, 2013
AjanleKoko:

However well you may be treating them, you are breaking the law by employing underage children.
The responsible and civic thing to do would be to adopt them as your wards, not keep them as employees. undecided

We all want a greater Nigeria, but in our private lives, we ridicule its laws consistently undecided

I quite like your very logical stand on this very interesting thread.
Kudos!!!
It is such INSISTENCE on law & order by all & sundry even when it is INCONVENIENT and UNCONVENTIONAL that makes for a better society for everyone including those who have some power NOW and feel they are benefiting from the dog-eat-dog system we currently have.
BTW, addressing this child labour/SLAVERY that is masqueraded as househelp can also reduce the baby factory syndrome by making adoption MORE acceptable and the legal procedure less cumbersome in our society.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 04, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by LBT: 8:07am On Nov 04, 2013
chaircover:

You did all that and 99% of your househelps are evil to the extent that they poisoned your son shocked shocked

Are you by any chance saying that househelps are programmed/contain the evil gene from birth?

Something not right somewhere
many of them cry and confess that they were given powers before they left home and they are sorry and don't want to leave our place because nobody have ever treated them well like we did; we allow them to stay but they do more evil and they have to leave no matter how much they begged and cried.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 04, 2013

9 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 04, 2013
mfm04622:
The world isn't black & white. It is usually grey! It is great opportunity for a maid to get a good family. First question, when staying with her parents, does he/she have access to education? Answer is usually no. What of standard of living? Usually better when staying with employers. I have a maid. She attend a private school that cost me 25k per term. Of course my child attend a better school but i struggle to pay my child school fees. I can send him to that school because i have only a child. My maid eat what we eat, is attended to in the same hospital. Her main job is to take care of my child as i have an older woman come on weekends to wash and iron and other heavy stuff. I understand the law is required to protect house maids from being treated badly but to make it illegal? That is removing opportunity some of them get for social mobility.

So why can't you put your maid in same school as you kid? If you care so much for them then why not become their foster parent instead of turning them to domestic labourers?
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Ama28(f): 8:12am On Nov 04, 2013
Guardians who do not send their house maid to school, are only recycling poverty. The recipients are those your wonderful kids your send to montesory schools.

Children learn faster from kids than from adults.
By hitting and calling that child names, you raise your children in violent enviroment and cool enough when you go out, your children will enjoy being the victim of a seed you sow,

We had a case where the daughter of a medical doctor had kwashokor and they found out that the housemaid never gave the baby milk because she was never given hence takes the milk for the baby.
Wickedness begets wickedness!
Fill your home with love
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by olumidazz: 8:15am On Nov 04, 2013
I sent her to a days school after a few months she was crying she was not the school type, we sent to learn hair dressing during the day when there is no one at home, after 2 months she was pregnant, now we have sent her packing.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 04, 2013
chaircover:

Go to any church on Sunday and even a blind man can pick out the househelps amongst the congregation.

this right here is truth my friend, you can always spot the difference. So so cruel
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 8:32am On Nov 04, 2013
devour129: have never employed under aged person,that I want to send them to school doesn't mean they are kids.i want to send them to school cos I feel they didn't have the opportunity n I have got the means

Quite.
So which school are you sending them to, if they are indeed overaged. I hope you realize that 18 is the legal age to work in Nigeria, and anything below can purchase you some jail time? undecided
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by mfm04622: 8:32am On Nov 04, 2013
Lobeez:

So why can't you put your maid in same school as you kid? If you care so much for them then why not become their foster parent instead of turning them to domestic labourers?
Can't you read that i struggle to pay the fees? I can't afford to send two children to the school even if both are my biological children.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Ama28(f): 8:34am On Nov 04, 2013
Due to extended family system in Nigeria, we don't prosecute if you have a child in your home under your care other than your child. But it becomes an issue if this child is exploited and is made to attain to duties other than child work at home, Nigeria ratified ILO charter and we have our Child Right Act 2003.
It is illegal to employ a child to be paid as a domestic servant.

A child under your care can become your passport to prison if you do not take care. It is a crimina offence not to send any child to school.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 8:48am On Nov 04, 2013
Many housemaids are being recruited from neighboring countries like Benin and Togo and in all the cases I have seen in Lagos, none of them goes to school and they are given too much work to do.
One landlady I know gives all the clothes, including large curtains and duvet to her young housemaid to wash. Her hands are even too small to hold the huge curtains and duvet, but this wicked woman makes the poor girl do all the laundry that would have been best done at the dry cleaners or given to professional washerwomen or washer men.
The landlady deprives this housemaid of formal education that is even free and available a stone-throw from her house.
To me, this is evil and wicked.
The housemaid may end up also babysitting her grand children and great grand children.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Ninapha(f): 8:54am On Nov 04, 2013
I just pray there is another name to represent these children. I personally prefer calln them my wards.

To the question, yest one is in SS1 and the other took jamb. My target is to make them better than they came and i pray God helps me and my spouse to achieve it.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 8:55am On Nov 04, 2013
olumidazz: I sent her to a days school after a few months she was crying she was not the school type, we sent to learn hair dressing during the day when there is no one at home, after 2 months she was pregnant, now we have sent her packing.
Your excuse for her withdrawal from school is dumb, because if your own daughter was crying for going to school, would you have stopped her schooling?
And she got pregnant, because of your bad parenting.

Many children cry when we are taking them to school, and it is normal, because they are often scared of being taken out of the comfort zones of their family and home to another place to be left with strangers they have never seen before. But their childish fears later fade away as they become familiar with the school environment.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 8:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Ninapha: I just pray there is another name to represent these children. I personally prefer calln them my wards.

To the question, yest one is in SS1 and the other took jamb. My target is to make them better than they came and i pray God helps me and my spouse to achieve it.

God will bless you more.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 04, 2013
mfm04622:
Can't you read that i struggle to pay the fees? I can't afford to send two children to the school even if both are my biological children.

so why discriminate then, why not send your child to the same school as your house help if the bills are really your concern.
I put it to you young man that you are not being honest with your intentions, period.
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 8:59am On Nov 04, 2013
Ninapha: I just pray there is another name to represent these children. I personally prefer calln them my wards.

You're still breaking the law, nonetheless.
Are they your wards, or are they working for you?
However noble your intentions might be, there is no alternate view. You are breaking the law, period.

For those who are keeping domestics, even if they are overaged. Let me throw another spanner there: Have you secured disability insurance as required by the Employee Compensation Act 2010 (formerly Workmens' Compensation Act)?
If you have drivers, maids, or any other blue-collar employees, the law requires that you provide them with disability insurance. Most of you that work in corporate organizations have a Group Life Cover provided by your company, mandated by law.
I am sure 0% of people here have ever done that. undecided
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by dude99(m): 9:00am On Nov 04, 2013
Whatever i would be saying here is not about bragging but just to tell our own househelp's story!
We have an househelp that has been with us for more than 9 years,she is 27 yeas of age now,mom didn't even ask for any househelp,it was a woman that saw her the way she work hard enough and she decided to help mom look for an househelp to work at our house,this househelp started going to school from our home at class 5,when she finished her primary school mom enrolled her into the secondary school where she is teaching,although the lady is brilllant,but she lacks manners though,she wrote her Waec exam and had her papers once,mom has a mini supermarket and she gave her money to start selling recharge cards at mini supermarket,after she finished her secondary school,she got admitted to the state polythecnic in our area,now she has finished her ND and just resumed for HND,you won't even believe the amount she was even told to pay as the school fees,the amount is 67,000 and is being taken care of by Dad wheareas i pay 28,000 at my own school,and since the time she has been with us,mom has never for once raised her hands at her "that is,beaten her" despite her bad behaviours.
I wrote this just to make my point which is,Don't treat your househelp badly and not to deprive them of education just because they are not your blood!

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 04, 2013
Some of the folks bragging about sending their house helps to school are doing so for their own selfish reasons.
I have colleagues who tell me "well you know you need to send your house helps to school so that they will not infest your kids with illiteracy"
at the end of the day, your intentions are not even genuine it is borne out of sheer selfishness.
just saying!
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Googlers: 9:21am On Nov 04, 2013
kulyie: I remember some time ago i went to greet my aunt and so we were jisting and the next thing she said was that i was about goig to my friends house in an hours time before you came,give some minutes,let me go and dress up so we will go together but meanwhile eat.i said ok,so i went to the pot to serve myself.so anyway,i was done with the food,left it in the kitchen and then we both left the house.when we got to her friends house,we exchanged pleaseantries and my aunty asked her friend that she has been looking at this house since,its only you and your husbands bedroom, kids bedroom and play room you guys have,where does your house help sleep.the friend said in the kitchen on the floor.my auntys eyes turned towards me and i looked at her too in shock.i said concrete floor? She said ehen.i said ok,where is she now? The woman said she has gone to pick her kids from school,i said what about her,isnt she in school? She looked at me strange and said why should she be in school,na me born am,abi na me go pay for her school fees when i get 2 pikin wey me and my husband still dey struggle to pay their school fees.my aunty interjected and said ok so how do you compensate her for all the chores shes doing,she said i have paid off the agent who brought her so it is as good as i bought her.she doesnt have any right to anything in this house except food and i must make sure she has washed my childrens school uniform,socks,dishes,everybody has eating before she eats.i had to cut in and said aunty thats not fair na.even though no one knows what youre doing to her and she is vulnerable,God is seeing you o,dont let him visit his judgement upon you through your kids.she said abegiiiiii,spare me.if i send her to school now,she will start getting conscious of herself and her looks and she will start competing with me.i said haba aunty,an 11 year old girl.she said,you you dont even know anything,wait till you get in my shoes.anyway to cut the long story short,when we left her place and my aunty was driving in the car,i said aunty mi, she said aburo,i said can i advise you,she said,i am listening.i noded and said this woman you call your friend,i dont like your relationship with her.this is not the kind of woman you should be hanging around with.God forbid eveil,if your enemy dies and for one reason or the other your child stays with her,just no that your childs life will be messed up.imagine how she is treating her house help as if she is not even a human being.such a little girl like that,an illiterate, worstill sleeping in the kitchen and eating the remenants of everyones plate packed together.that is what we do for our dog.that girl is too small for that na.my aunty said,well,thats true,i will talk to her but i had the intention of talking to her however not in your presence because she might feel embarassed that she is talking to her in the presence of her friends younger one,i said better.

Infact ehen.smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Poor People In Our Society Like Having Plenty Kids? / Missing Younger Brother - Kelechi Victor Agomuo / Should I Avoid My Mom?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.