Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings (96313 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 9:37pm On Mar 04, 2011
Abagworo:

That's a lie bros.The "rumu"(children) is a dialect of Ikwerre spoken in Emohua but was adopted by the Obio(Diobu) people whose original dialect is "Umu" in 1970."Omu" is used in Northern Ikwerre in place of "Umu" just like the word "mbra"(now) is used by Diobu while variances of "kita","udu" and "ndue" still occur in other ikwerre dialects.

The difference between Ikwerre and central Igbo is the letter "f" which has evolved to "wh" and the arrangement of words in a sentence(this is the major difference).Ikwerre names are Igbo names because they share the same words but if a sentence is made in Ikwerre then the difference becomes noticeable.

It is more like Pidgin and English.

"Who bring you come here ?"

"Who brought you here?"

Good analysis.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by owhobrus: 7:35pm On Jun 28, 2011
who ever wrote this is a very big fool, if the ikwerre's say they are igbo's how does that add to your life? does it make u fatter? come on. use ur time and life for something else. tongue
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ezeagu(m): 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
owhobrus:

who ever wrote this is a very big fool, if the ikwerre's say they are igbo's how does that add to your life? does it make u fatter? come on. use your time and life for something else. tongue

Are you Ikwerre?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Afam4eva(m): 7:55pm On Jun 28, 2011
ezeagu:

Are you Ikwerre?

Obviously he's Ikwerre. His name speaks volume. Ikwerre Meka.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by owhobrus: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2011
you guys are obviously Igbos, when you guys start some senseless researches that do not concern you and will not add to your growth, it shows how jobless a person can be. if the ikwerre people in Rivers Sate start being hostile to your people ona go start to give us bad names,why not just mind your business. the day we say we are igbos, cool, and if we don't it ain't ur concern. infact, if ikwerre na igbo, where the igbos come from? if we stoleyour language, where did yours come from? come on, comot the thing wey dey ur eyes before u comot another person own.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Ngodigha: 12:03pm On Jul 14, 2011
owhobrus:

you guys are obviously Igbos, when you guys start some senseless researches that do not concern you and will not add to your growth, it shows how jobless a person can be. if the ikwerre people in Rivers Sate start being hostile to your people ona go start to give us bad names,why not just mind your business. the day we say we are igbos, cool, and if we don't it ain't your concern. infact, if ikwerre na igbo, where the igbos come from? if we stoleyour language, where did yours come from? come on, comot the thing wey dey your eyes before u comot another person own.
Sulking bastardd, stop running your smelly mouth here as you have nothing positive to contribute. This thread is about Kwerre names and meanings. It is either you deal with it or you phuck off, you phucked up phucker. Idiott.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by otapiapia: 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2011
owhobrus:

you guys are obviously Igbos, when you guys start some senseless researches that do not concern you and will not add to your growth, it shows how jobless a person can be. if the ikwerre people in Rivers Sate start being hostile to your people ona go start to give us bad names,why not just mind your business. the day we say we are igbos, cool, and if we don't it ain't your concern. infact, if ikwerre na igbo, where the igbos come from? if we stoleyour language, where did yours come from? come on, comot the thing wey dey your eyes before u comot another person own.

Is this all you've got to prove you aren't Igbo(according to you)? Come on!

A frenchman may choose not to identify with anything french, but he is still french whether he likes it or not.

I spend a couple of times listening to Duncan Mighty's album(a singer of ikwerre origin) some months back, I still dont see what is not Igbo about this dude.

No one is forcing you to admit you're Igbo, but dont say you are not without sensible proofs. That's stupidity at it's best.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by NegroNtns(m): 7:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
Dude said ikwerre is not Igbo. What else do u want?

To the OP, did you name the baby yet? If not I have some name suggestions for you. They are almost ikwerre.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Dude said ikwerre is not Igbo. What else do u want?

To the OP, did you name the baby yet? If not I have some name suggestions for you. They are almost ikwerre.

i never saw where he denied being igbo.Igbo is a thing of choice and whoever wishes should or should not identify with being Igbo no matter where he is from.Non-Igbos come here to drag issues farther than we have in reality.Ikwerres have their choice and this thread is about the unique Ikwerre names like Homa,Wenenda,Owhobike,Ezinwo,Ovunda etc.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by NegroNtns(m): 9:34pm On Jul 14, 2011
Abagworo,

Do me a favor. Are u Ikwerre?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 10:04pm On Jul 14, 2011
I dislike the Ikwere.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I dislike the Ikwere.
But 80 percent of Ikwerres migrated from Ngwaland. So you have to like them.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by otapiapia: 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I dislike the Ikwere.

I'm tempted to feel so too sometimes. I just hate the arrogance exhibited in the defence of not being Igbo. But then I reasoned that I have not met many in real life, these fools that usually come online might be making things up or simply expressing their delusions.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by NegroNtns(m): 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2011
Ikwerre is an Igboid language that has its roots in Igbo. Pre-Colonial Ikwerre people were a subgorup of the Igbo people that migrated south towards the Atlantic coast during the period between the 1500s-1800s.

In Lagos today, in an area called Epetedo. There is a clan of Tapa (Nupe) that have been there since 1850s. They have existed in Lagos itself since the reign of Oba Eshilokun in late 1700s.

They still have their customs, traditions, names (sanda, idagi, and so on). In fact they switch from yoruba to tapa language when it pleases them.

Their situation is no different than Ikwerre but Nupe people are not laying claim to epetedo as a territory.

The itshekiri and the ijebus speak the same language but ijebu is not claiming tsekiri land as its own.

Learn from these examples and leave people land alone.

Let them come to you if they want to be with you. So far they have expressed the desire to distance from you.

Then leave 'em alone!

Odumchi, Biafra is gone. Look to the present okay, somebody else, not Igbo, own p'racourt.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem3: 11:55pm On Jul 14, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Ikwerre is an Igboid language that has its roots in Igbo. Pre-Colonial Ikwerre people were a subgorup of the Igbo people that migrated south towards the Atlantic coast during the period between the 1500s-1800s.

In Lagos today, in an area called Epetedo. There is a clan of Tapa (Nupe) that have been there since 1850s. They have existed in Lagos itself since the reign of Oba Eshilokun in late 1700s.

They still have their customs, traditions, names (sanda, idagi, and so on). In fact they switch from yoruba to tapa language when it pleases them.

Their situation is no different than Ikwerre but Nupe people are not laying claim to epetedo as a territory.

The itshekiri and the ijebus speak the same language but ijebu is not claiming tsekiri land as its own.

Let them come to you if they want to be with you. So far they have expressed the desire to distance from you.

Then leave 'em alone!

Odumchi, Biafra is gone. Look to the present okay, somebody else, not Igbo, own p'racourt.

i have to agree with u on this

the act of forcing or begging or whatever to please or tell ikwerre people that they are igbo is making matters worse

the more this is done, the more they try to dissociate themselves

to me ikwerri people are more or less igbos but if they say no, then let them be

really this act is making my igbo brothers and sisters annoying

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 12:30am On Jul 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Then leave 'em alone!

@negro,Ikwerre is not Igboid but just plain Igbo in language.The only non-Igbo language in the Igboid family is Ekpeye.Again your example of Nupe is not same with Ikwerre case because Ikwerre is not separated from "Igbo" but is dialect continum with the mordern day Owerri and Ohaji(Originally known as Oratta).It was classified as Oratta/Ikwerre dialect until recently.It is arguable that two separate ethnicities can speak same language like in the case of Urhobo and Isoko but there is a problem in the Igbo because of their lack of centralisation and influence from all their neighbours.Each of the corners of Igbo share same culture with non-Igbo neighbours and hence Igbo lack a particular culture that is widespread.The easiest if not the only binding factor is the language hence the reason Igbos see every Igbo speaker as Igbo.I have tried my best to explain.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by NegroNtns(m): 1:48am On Jul 15, 2011
Alj,

Yes, precisely!

Abagworo,

Let me present it to yiu another way.

Igboland has much more to gain with or without Ikwerre, than Ikwerre has to gain standing alone or belonging to a non-Igbo sovereingty.

If today Ilorin say you know what we don't want to go with Yorubaland, even though they speak the language, then the lessons of such rebellion will be learnt the hard way as a stepchild in an Arewa sovereignty. Right?

Its the same way with Ikwerre.

They have your culture and speak your language. If they know what's good for them they should belong in Igboland.

However, if they don't know that, then let them get the realization. Ultimately they will return home some years in the future.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Chyz2: 3:56am On Jul 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns is Alj Haram and you people still dey pay him mind,Lmao! grin
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem3: 4:29am On Jul 15, 2011
Chyz*:

Negro_Ntns is Alj Haram and you people still dey pay him mind,Lmao! grin

shocked shocked shocked shocked Negro ntns as well grin wanders shall never end

Negro ntns so u are alj harem the yoruba man grin grin grin grin

well it is good to know
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Chyz2: 4:45am On Jul 15, 2011
alj_harem:

shocked shocked shocked shocked Negro ntns as well grin wanders shall never end

Negro ntns so u are alj harem the yoruba man grin grin grin grin

well it is good to know

He magically popped up when your yoruba identity was discovered,besides, you talk the same. You could have changed it up a little more.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem3: 4:51am On Jul 15, 2011
Chyz*:

He magically popped up when your yoruba identity was discovered,besides, you talk the same. You could have changed it up a little more.

watin pesin no go hear grin grin grin grin grin grin

chyz i came clean with me IDs go check the thread i made

i have no more ID unless 1 more igbo one which i am not ready to disclose just yet cool IT WOULD BE A SHOCKER grin

but i am not Negro ntns
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Chyz2: 4:53am On Jul 15, 2011
alj_harem:

watin pesin no go hear grin grin grin grin grin grin

chyz i came clean with me IDs go check the thread i made

i have no more ID unless 1 more igbo one which i am not ready to disclose just yet cool IT WOULD BE A SHOCKER grin

but i am not Negro ntns

I already know u are Negro ntns and i do know your igbo ID as well. wink
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem3: 4:56am On Jul 15, 2011
Chyz*:

I already know u are Negro ntns and i do know your igbo ID as well. wink

if u know my igbo ID then good wink but no post am o wink

also i am not Negro ntn, BTW where is jason
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Chyz2: 5:03am On Jul 15, 2011
alj_harem:

if u know my igbo ID then good wink but no post am o wink

also i am not Negro ntn, BTW where is jason

No wahala. Jason got beat down by this big yoruba dude named Bola. He's doing good now though. grin cool
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem3: 5:05am On Jul 15, 2011
Chyz*:

No wahala. Jason got beat down by this big yoruba dude named Bola. He's doing good now though. grin cool
grin grin grin grin grin

good, do u know jason out side or where u jason as well grin
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 8:18am On Jul 15, 2011
Andre Uweh:

But 80 percent of Ikwerres migrated from Ngwaland. So you have to like them.
Though I don't know about that percentage, I can say that what you stated above is precisely the reason I do not like them. They want an Ikwere ethnic identity, which I find understandable. I've got no problem with that. I also want an Ngwa ethnic identity. But what irks me is the adoption of obviously unfounded claims of Bini ancestry and the denial of kinship with us Ngwa as a way to justify the ethnic identity (I won't even talk of 'Igbo'; I'll just speak on Ngwa). I've had the sad pleasure of speaking with some Ikwere and when I told them "mu bu nye Ngwa; wenne di nu mba", their response was "oh! nye Igbo". Automatically I was turned off. The ignorant Ikwere sadden me when they behave like that, but the knowledgeable Ikwere disgust me, because they know the truth.

I will not lie, there are some who are not afraid to admit the truth of relationship between Ngwa and Ikwere, but for the most part, these people act like they're being paid to lie. Now, I am a reasonable person, but I am not in the business of dealing with foolishness like that. I have no tolerance for the baseless behavior the Ikwere generally exhibit. So I have since shut down on them and would rather want to leave them to themselves. Long story short, I would not encourage any of my children to marry anyone from Ikwere, regardless of our common ancestry. So as an Ngwa and as a person that generally lacks tolerance, I dislike them.

otapiapia:

I'm tempted to feel so too sometimes. I just hate the arrogance exhibited in the defence of not being Igbo. But then I reasoned that I have not met many in real life, these fools that usually come online might be making things up or simply expressing their delusions.
I can understand what some of them mean when they say they are not Igbo, but the denial of real kinship with specific group is where my problem is.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by vkt3344(m): 3:26am On Jul 16, 2011
The thing is that not all ikwerres deniel ibo. ikwerres n ngwa have got some relationship and i remember my mom told me they housed lotta ikwerres during the war n every river in ngwaland was full of fishes n it all disappeared when the ikwerres left after the war. that was from my mom n my dad has always told me that ngwas n ikwerres are brothers but one of them betrayed each other so they dont reli like each other but they still gave them home to live during the war. also my mom told me not to marry an ikwerre woman. she gave me some reasons which is now common in every tribe in the world today. so i dont buy that reason. igbo has got different dialect but i wont call it dialect today. i'd rather call is accent or slang. like in the uk, the further north you go, the accent changes and they all diss each other's accent. cockny would diss mancunia n mancunia would diss scot. it's like that even in the usa. different accent and slangs. not to forget the yorubas too. i speak lagos yoruba, some ijebu, some egba n some ibadan but dont even understand anything when an ekiti man speaks. so no fightin bros n 6. we ought to understand that this is 21st century n things have changed and things would continue to change. cheers

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by dempeople(m): 12:12pm On Jul 16, 2011
I've long left the Ikwerre to their own fate with all those denials. I don't think its worthy on my part as a very proud Igboman, to worry about whether Ikwerre is Igbo or not afterall we're still a majority.

Sometimes though, its possible they might come back to their senses afterall, blood is thicker than water.

At my age, there're things I surprisingly don't worry about much or give much thought to, anymore.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by owhobrus: 9:45am On Jul 17, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Then leave 'em alone!

my brother/sister God go bless you far more than you ever think for your wise thought and sayings
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Ngodigha: 1:42pm On Jul 17, 2011
owhobrus:

my brother/sister God go bless you far more than you ever think for your wise thought and sayings
Hi Monkey, you have not contributed anything to the thread rather than praise-worshipping bigots like you. If you are an IkwerreIgbo, post some Ikwerre names and meanings or scram. Idiott.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2011
Ngodigha ndaa hna bu nkpa? Gbachiri ya nkiti. Ya kaanu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend / Return Oba Of Lagos’ Staff Of Office Or Face The Consequences, Ruling House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.