Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,947 members, 7,952,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:09 AM

Lekki International Airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki International Airport (14286 Views)

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / Lekki International Airport Render / Bouygues, Eko Global, Maevis Bid For Lekki International Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 04, 2013
The Lagos State government has been the main promoter of the proposed airport to be situated in the Lekki/Epe axis. Here are some facts about the airport:

- Over 3,000 hectares of land have been earmarked for the airport; which when fully developed, will be larger than London's Hearhrow airport.

-Over 15 local and foreign companies (including Julius Berger) have expressed interest in constructing and maintaing the airport under the Build-Operate-Manage-Transfer model. I think this is unprecedented for a major infrastructural project in Nigeria.

-Internationally renowned airport architect, Norman Forster, who designed Heathrow's Terminal 5 building, is among a shortlist of people that LASG is approaching concerning the structure of the airport.

I hope construction starts soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 04, 2013
That's what's up!!

Put Epe on the map! cool
Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 04, 2013
shymexx: That's what's up!!

Put Epe on the map! cool
Yes, this airport will force FAAN/the Chinese to properly maintain MMIA.
Both airports in Lagos can still be viable, just like Miami and Orlando airports in Florida.

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by Konjour(m): 9:30am On Nov 04, 2013
Hmm. Lagos is defo following in the footsteps of the master-builders of London, New York, Singapore and other mega-cities with multiple airports capable of handling international flights. It'd be a huge relief and refreshing for the passengers too I guess, with the change of scenery and all that cuz the current state of MMA is still decrepit in comparison to a lot of domestic airports in other African countries.

5 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 04, 2013
@ Konjour: Lagos is definitely planning for it's eventual status as a mega city. In fact, the projected population of Lekki in the next 10 years would be 2 million-the same as Dubai. The Lekki area alone may sustain the airport in terms of passenger numbers.
Re: Lekki International Airport by Danhumprey: 10:07am On Nov 04, 2013
Lagos is working because it has an innovative and forward-thinking Governor. I wish that governor is incharge of the affairs of this nation as a whole.

6 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Olugbenger(m): 10:14am On Nov 04, 2013
Re: Lekki International Airport by Gbawe: 10:22am On Nov 04, 2013
CFCfan: The Lagos State government has been the main promoter of the proposed airport to be situated in the Lekki/Epe axis. Here are some facts about the airport:

- Over 3,000 hectares of land have been earmarked for the airport; which when fully developed, will be larger than London's Hearhrow airport.

-Over 15 local and foreign companies (including Julius Berger) have expressed interest in constructing and maintaing the airport under the Build-Operate-Manage-Transfer model. I think this is unprecedented for a major infrastructural project in Nigeria.

-Internationally renowned airport architect, Norman Forster, who designed Heathrow's Terminal 5 building, is among a shortlist of people that LASG is approaching concerning the structure of the airport.

You mean Sir Norman Foster? Impressive.

@Topic. A visionary and much needed project in my opinion because of where Lagos sees itself in the near future as a powerful Nation-State and regional hub of commerce and socio-economic development. This project would have moved forward appreciably If only the FG would sincerely throw all its weight behind it. Sad how politics of enmity and egotism ensures Nigeria keeps cutting her nose to spite her face.

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by otokx(m): 10:32am On Nov 04, 2013
As usual - future tense talk.

11 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 04, 2013
@ Gbawe: FAAN may have lobbied against the FG collaborating with Lagos for obvious reasons.
Firstly, the Lekki airport would be under the ownership of LASG, which would mean that FAAN workers may not be needed at the facility. Secondly, FAAN could also view the airport as a competitor to MMIA.

4 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 04, 2013
Cool. I hate MMA anyway. I've had my share of bad experience there.
Re: Lekki International Airport by chygoz3(m): 10:54am On Nov 04, 2013
Does this mean that a state has the power to build an airport and declare it an international one if it has the money to build it without the support of the federal government?
Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 04, 2013
chygoz3: Does this mean that a state has the power to build an airport and declare it an international one if it has the money to build it without the support of the federal government?

I doubt it.
Re: Lekki International Airport by ibsmooth: 11:04am On Nov 04, 2013
Good one,monopoly should be broken in Nigeria for speedy development.

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 04, 2013
chygoz3: Does this mean that a state has the power to build an airport and declare it an international one if it has the money to build it without the support of the federal government?
Airports are in the exclusive FG list, but the FG hasn't denied the Delta and Akwa Ibom States operating licenses for their state-owned airports at Asaba and Uyo respectively.
However, the NCAA and the federal ministry of aviation have to certify any commercial airport in the country, before planes can take-off or land at such a facility.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by chygoz3(m): 11:19am On Nov 04, 2013
CFCfan:
Airports are in the exclusive FG list, but the FG hasn't denied the Delta and Akwa Ibom States operating licenses for their state-owned airports at Asaba and Uyo respectively.
However, the NCAA and the federal ministry of aviation have to certify any commercial airport in the country, before planes can take-off or land at such a facility.
I thought so too. However I don't see how possible it will be for the airport to be made an international one when there's already an existing international airport in the state. I may be wrong though.
Re: Lekki International Airport by richeyy(m): 1:36pm On Nov 04, 2013
CFCfan: The Lagos State government has been the main promoter of the proposed airport to be situated in the Lekki/Epe axis. Here are some facts about the airport:

This is welcomed but whoever is advising the LASG should know that adopting the BOOT procurement model may lead to failures, like what happened with Bi-Courtney and MM2. I'd rather a more collaborative approach to construction procurement like the T5 Agreement adopted by BAA for the LHR T5 development be explored.

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by Polio: 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2013
Gbawe:

Topic. A visionary and much needed project in my opinion because of where Lagos sees itself in the near future as a powerful Nation-State and regional hub of commerce and socio-economic development. This project would have moved forward appreciably If only the FG would sincerely throw all its weight behind it. Sad how politics of enmity and egotism ensures Nigeria keeps cutting her nose to spite her face.
Re: Lekki International Airport by 1MCN: 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
If this is not just a sensational white elephant project then I'd say it's a very good and lofty idea. I've even advocated for private airport and heliport facilities to be allowed in Nigeria just like in other advanced economies. I think if this project comes to fruition it'll really drive competition and good service delivery and will leave users with options to choose from.
But wait, if LASG is planning to build an Int'l Airport why then was Capt Dele saying that making Enugu an Int'l airpot will negatively affect domestic airservice in Nigeria? Or is this one that's just a few meters from MMA not going to affect domestic airservice again? I think sometimes we make our sentiments a little too obvious in this country.

9 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Gbawe: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
CFCfan: @ Gbawe: FAAN may have lobbied against the FG collaborating with Lagos for obvious reasons.
Firstly, the Lekki airport would be under the ownership of LASG, which would mean that FAAN workers may not be needed at the facility. Secondly, FAAN could also view the airport as a competitor to MMIA.

We are saying the same thing. I.e the parochial mindset, always linked to politics, that frustrates the development of Nigeria. For what the project is, the FG should be pulling out all the stops to make this a reality as soon as possible. Nonetheless, I believe Lagos will achieve this because her admininistrators, since our latest round of democracy began in 1999, fully understand they are on their own' for very obvious reasons.

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by AZeD1(m): 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2013
1MCN: If this is not just a sensational white elephant project then I'd say it's a very good and lofty idea. I've even advocated for private airport and heliport facilities to be allowed in Nigeria just like in other advanced economies. I think if this project comes to fruition it'll really drive competition and good service delivery and will leave users with options to choose from.
But wait, if LASG is planning to build an Int'l Airport why then was Capt Dele saying that making Enugu an Int'l airpot will negatively affect domestic airservice in Nigeria? Or is this one that's just a few meters from MMA not going to affect domestic airservice again? I think sometimes we make our sentiments a little too obvious in this country.
Capt Dele did not say making Enugu an international airpot will negatively affect domestic carriers, he said giving Ethiopian airways 3 landing slots would kill domestic carriers.
Re: Lekki International Airport by 0monnakoda: 2:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
At the moment it does not seem to have moved from concept to plan. I believe it will but LASG has a problem with communication and carrying people along. In that regard it is typically "Nigerian". The recent "buy back" of the concession rights to the Lekki Road is a good example. One that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Now we have another example of PRIME land "ACQUIRED" by government for "Public Use" which ultimately will end up as an "Asset" on the Balance Sheet of a private company. While one supports the idea of additional airports in Lagos I am afraid that this government of Lagos has too many secrets on how it runs its affairs

10 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by ChimaAgbalajob: 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2013
Please, what is preventing them from building this airport NOW?

It will be very viable and more importantly decongest MMIA.
Re: Lekki International Airport by plaindealer: 5:18pm On Nov 04, 2013

FG Grants Site Approval for Lekki-Epe Int’l Airport

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Aviation, has granted site approval for the construction of the proposed Lekki-Epe International Airport, Lagos State Government has said.

She said the state government “has also completed the master plan on the 3,500 hectares of land earmarked for the project. The airport is designed to handle about 5 million passengers annually with provision for a modular terminal for future expansion.
She disclosed that preliminary work on the project had since commenced with the clearing of 4.5 km of the access road and 9km of perimeter road, and added that this was in furtherance of its objective to make the Lekki Free Trade Zone a fully functional investment haven.

She also reiterated that the Lekki Free Zone project was a reality as it has so far attracted key players particularly in the oil and gas sector with a greater prospect of attracting more investors as its development progresses, especially with the provision of power.

She said a further testimony “to the development of the Zone is the interest expressed by the Federal Government through the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to establish a pioneer Hydrocarbon Industry Park, which would comprise of a Green Field Refinery, Petrochemical, Fertiliser and Power Plant within the Zone.

“The state government has earmarked about 1,500 hectares of land for the entire project out which 550 hectares will be released for the development of the refinery and power plant.

“A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with the NNPC to this effect. The Refinery is designed to have a refining capacity of between 200,000 - 300,000 barrels of crude oil per day.

“When completed, it will help to shore up the domestic refinery capacity and close the prevailing demand - supply gap for petroleum products in the country”, the commissioner said.
Oworu affirmed that the state government had made appreciable progress in some of the social challenges that had in the past encumbered the smooth implementation of the Lekki-Free Zone Project.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-grants-site-approval-for-lekki-epe-int-l-airport/116051/

They can not get away with designating village airstrips like the one in Enugu international airport while denying what's set to be the best and widely used airport in West Africa same status, not even for any idiotic political or tribal reasons..

What is going on in Lagos state is what you call putting together transportation and economic jigsaw puzzle simultaneously..

For all the other economic infrastructures and economic activities in that region like the Eko Atlantic, Deep Seaport, LFTZ, Refinery to be successful and reap intended rewards, Lagos state must everything within it's power to provide a first class and well maintained Airport to cater not only to the Local or Nigerian population, but especially to the mobile and global business community with strong investments in Nigeria and especially in Lagos state.

With the above major projects especially the EA projected to be Africa's financial/economic HQ and Money bags playground, Lagos must step up to the plate because this is not your usual Nigerian nickels and dimes business and activities, they are entering the big league to compete with Dubai and even our own Ogun/Ondo state's Olokola FTZ which is already on the move with billions of dollars strong investments in deep seaport, Greenfield refinery, Dangote's $9 billion refinery and petrochemical plants.

Ogun state's overtaking Lagos state claim sounds very very real...

The economic rat race in that region is on full force, Lagos state looking the other way is not only suicidal, it's criminal.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
In igbo man's voice:

What a misplaced priority!

Millions on Lagosians live on less than a dollar a day..

Instead of them to construct a food center for free food...

1 Like

Re: Lekki International Airport by plaindealer: 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2013
SLIDE waxie: In igbo man's voice:

What a misplaced priority!

Millions on Lagosians live on less than a dollar a day..

Instead of them to construct a food center for free food...

lol... Very sad, but very true. It's 2013 and while the rest of the world is moving on and thinking big for economic and social salvation, many in Nigeria are still mentally chained down with caveman thinking, ignorance and tribal feelings...

3 Likes

Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 04, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob: Please, what is preventing them from building this airport NOW?

It will be very viable and more importantly decongest MMIA.
The State govt is still in the process of selecting the contractors for the project. Already, 2018 has been projected as the year the 1st phase of the airport will be completed, and open for operations.
I guess LASG wants a "Dubai standard" airport.
Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2013
The airport will have THREE runways in it's first phase. Construction begins in June next year, after the concessionaire has been chosen.
Re: Lekki International Airport by Samxiulee: 6:15pm On Nov 04, 2013
0monnakoda: At the moment it does not seem to have moved from concept to plan. I believe it will but LASG has a problem with communication and carrying people along. In that regard it is typically "Nigerian". The recent "buy back" of the concession rights to the Lekki Road is a good example. One that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Now we have another example of PRIME land "ACQUIRED" by government for "Public Use" which ultimately will end up as an "Asset" on the Balance Sheet of a private company. While one supports the idea of additional airports in Lagos I am afraid that this government of Lagos has too many secrets on how it runs its affairs
yes o I support you totally,the only way for us to know what is going on there, is to vote in people that APC can not control in the house of assemble.
Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 04, 2013
plaindealer:

lol... Very sad, but very true. It's 2013 and while the rest of the world is moving on and thinking big for economic and social salvation, many in Nigeria are still mentally chained down with caveman thinking, ignorance and tribal feelings...

U give the ppl want they really need not just whatever is right.

Those Agberos and beggars need more food than Intl airport
Re: Lekki International Airport by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 04, 2013
Lekki Airport Render

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku Insists That The Declaration Of Tinubu As President Illegal / El-Rufai, Bello: Onokpasa Jesutega Slams APC Members Over "Dumping Of Allies" / N1.08bn Corruption Scandal Hits Debt Management Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.