Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? (21019 Views)

The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds / Foods That Increase Your Chances Of Having Twins / Can Eating Too Much Pineapple Cause Diabetics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by nikkypearl(f): 3:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
By Bimpe Adea
If you are a woman of a certain age, better think twice before you down those plates of yam, or you may get pregnant with twins. Did you know that a small town in Oyo State called Igbo-Ora has the highest number of twin births in the whole world?

Population experts say that the small town of about 100,000 people in the south-west has the world’s highest twinning rate. In fact, on the road going into the town there’s a large stone plinth which welcomes visitors to “the land of twins”.

While recent accurate figures are basically nonexistent, a study conducted by a British gynecologist, Patrick Nylander, between 1972 and 1982 recorded on average of 45 to 50 sets of twins per 1000 live births in the south-west. A more current survey estimates a twin birth in 1 of 22 births; this rate is about 4 times higher than anywhere else in the world.

This is quite a remarkable phenomenon, but nobody seems to be quite sure why this town should be more twin prone than anywhere else on earth. However researchers have long speculated that it’s the diet that can help explain this statistics, specifically the daily diet of yam!!!

What?!! Yes, yams. Apparently it contains phytoestrogen, an estrogen compound that increases a woman’s Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), and may induce a higher rate of ovulation. This chemical component is concentrated in the peelings from yam, and it has been linked to a hyper ovulation—the release of more than one egg, which usually leads to twin pregnancies.This theory has me completely baffled.

Obviously yam is a staple in every Nigerian home, but yam is central to Yoruba people’s diet. We eat it boiled; fried, roasted, pounded, and dried yam is grounded to make amala.So can yam really be attributed to the high rate of twin births in the south-west? Many scientists believe so, and women trying to conceive in western parts of the world are desperately looking for yams in order to boost their chances of having twins

That number is higher in the West and will probably keep rising due to the advent and increasing use of fertility drugs and in vitro fertilization, both of which raise the chance of double or even multiple ovulations.

Also, the recent trend of older moms has increased the rate of multiples.As women age, their pregnancies are more likely to yield twins. Older women have the FSH hormone present in their bodies due to natural changes that come with age.

There are many different reasons why a couple might want to have twins. Some women only want to go through one pregnancy so having twins gives you a full complete family all in one shot. Some women have trouble conceiving, a twin pregnancy may likely be her only one. While some people like me are just simply fascinated by twins. If you are one of these women you might want to get a yam cookbook.

I’m no genetic scientist, but I say it’s worth a try if you really want multiples. At least consciously incorporating more yams in your diet does you no harm, and besides it’s better than some dangerous tips advocating progesterone creams, and the prescription drug clomidto conceive twins.

Obviously this is not a fool-proof way to try and have twins as nobody knows how much yam one has to eat. Also, it’s uncertain whether the effects of eating yam on a woman trying to conceive are immediate or cumulative. Most importantly, nobody has provided any specific explanation or medical evidence that could prove that yam consumption can cause multiple births.It’s pure speculation.

While eating a plate full of yams every day may be just plain silly but at least it has no real negative effects, and there is no harm in trying. You may just get lucky.

6 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by OluwaKoopa(m): 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2013
Maybe
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by sholay2011(m): 7:04pm On Nov 05, 2013
@OP...Sorry to ask o...are you studying a course presently whose title is 'superstitious african beliefs'?

For your last thread, na you talk say if hand dey scratch pesin, dat mean say pesin wan receive or give out money... grin

Now...yam consumption can result into twin births...interesting cool

Anyway, thanks for the tips. wink My wife must start eating yam lyk mad starting from our courtship...yeah. ..I'm that desperate for twins grin

@OP...are you? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by nikkypearl(f): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2013
Sholay!! U don find me come here huh? grin but to be factual,it Seems to be true ,I have a girlfriend that love to eat yams and she gave birth to two girls last month.
Then,I sure know that when a lady is 30 and above,her hormones rises and sometimes two eggs will be released during ovulation or if twins run in the family,then she might also give birth to twins!
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by sholay2011(m): 9:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
^^^^^ Hmmm. Nice explanation. ..especially the scientific part. But I still think it's coincidence that someone who has twins gets to like yam. Abi wat enzyme or chemical does yam release when consumed that aids the splitting of the ovaries? That I don't know.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind trying it for my wife sha since eating yam does no harm. smiley

@OP...And yes, I find you come here grin grin
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by nikkypearl(f): 8:13am On Nov 06, 2013
Lol@ the last paragrahp
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by icebebe(f): 11:20am On Nov 06, 2013
na so ma mama tel me o
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
Stupid question
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by ichommy(m): 2:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
icebebe: na so ma mama tel me o

Are you for real?
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
I want to have twins in the future. I guess it's time for me to stock up my yam barn. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by kambili999(f): 2:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
;Dall twin lovers say cheeeeeeeessssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee...

2 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by feminineA: 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
No one loves yam the way i do. cooked, fried, meshed,baked etc yet I never born twins! sad
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Lilchilz(m): 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
mstchewww....aseeeee
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by devour129: 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
i heard if you want a baby girl,eating the back of yam(yam peel) guarantees that
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
I know about Okro and not Yam. There's a town in Kwara state that has the highest number of twin births in Nigeria and they eat Okro like no tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by alotofgrace(m): 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
heard bout this story sometimes ago in some part of africa by bbc (not really sure)
buh am sure of yam legs of i...o girls grin
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by kambili999(f): 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
@tjololade:
Stupid question
wat made it silly?

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Lilimax(f): 2:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
nikkypearl: ...nobody has provided any specific explanation or medical evidence that could prove that yam consumption can cause multiple births.It’s pure speculation.
You've answered the question.
It's just one ot these superstitious belief undecided
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by kennyonthrone(m): 2:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
OMG!dis is so ridiculousss
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by easyz(m): 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lmao
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Cestmoi1(f): 2:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Whether this is true or not,speculation or not,I'm gonna increase the rate at which I eat yam in order to get myself ready and pray hard too.I want twins.....I love twins!....

4 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by stephano100(m): 2:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
no.....quadruplet
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
Hmmmm.this one is strong, never hear am b4
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by baminasri(m): 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
The village is "igbo ora".... A village in Oyo state.. South western Nigeria.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by packman: 2:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
rubbish talk angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Icerex(m): 2:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
NICE ONE.
#Gud biznez idea
between son and mama

SON: mama i wan travel go vila MAMA: wetin hapun nau? SON: nufin oh! I jst wan go check dat our land 4 villa, e b lyk i wan start 2 de plant yam. MAMA: u no get strent oh. SON: i go hire vilage boiz. #money on ma mind.

AFTER SOME MONTHS........
SON: Buy yur yam, yam wey go giv u TWINS. Buy 1 yam, get TWINS FREE.... CUSTOMER: give the whole yam.

2 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by xclusive43(m): 2:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Neva heard of such...... I dnt believe tho..
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by yousouph07(m): 2:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
I think am gonna head over there & find a wife
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by oyedun82(m): 2:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
abuja yams
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2013
Yes. Ask the people of Igbo-Ora, Oyo State.
More to follow.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 06, 2013
Wtf?? Even my uneducated grandparents won't blive dis sort of trash.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Afang Soup / Peak Milk Launches Peak Milky Pap With 'life Evolves, So Has Pap' Campaign / 7 Cups Of Garri ₦200 In 2015 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.