Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. (59018 Views)

10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally / Whiten Your Teeth Naturally With Banana Peels. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by rodeo0070(m): 4:10pm On Nov 05, 2013
Products and services that promise to instantly brighten your smile can easily be found on grocery shelves or at the dentist’s office. But before reaching for that home whitening kit or enduring another hour sitting on your dentist’s chair, consider these 13 natural, sometimes unconventional (but often delicious!), tooth-whitening alternatives:

1. Oil (sesame oil or virgin coconut oil)

Oil, or more specifically, oil pulling, is when oil is used for gargling, not cooking. Sesame oil or virgin coconut oil is swished around inside the mouth and then spat out after fifteen minutes. As the substance is vigorously “pulled” back and forth between your teeth, the mucous membranes inside your mouth absorb nutrients from it.

Sesame oil has omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and vitamins A, B and E; while virgin coconut oil has antibacterial properties that promote healthier gums and cavity-free teeth. Just make sure not to swallow any of the spittle that will form as you gargle.

2. Strawberries

Malic acid is a natural astringent that acts as a bleaching agent, and it is present in most commercially available tooth-whitening products. Strawberries are filled with this key ingredient, which will whiten your teeth naturally, so make sure to add them to your basket on your next trip to the farmer’s market. The vitamin C in strawberries also aids in removing plaque.

3. Apples

Apples also contain high levels of malic acid. The act of biting and chewing on this crunchy fruit gently scrubs away debris, stains, and bacteria from your mouth.

4. Celery

Say goodbye to tooth stains as you snack on that piece of celery during your break! The fibrous cellulose act as a natural toothbrush, while the high water content stimulates saliva production, your natural mouth cleanser.

5. Carrots

Chewing on these rabbit favorites raw will increase the amount of saliva in your mouth, cleaning it further. The vitamin A in carrots is good, not just for your eyesight, but helps strengthen tooth enamel as well.

6. Broccoli

When eaten raw, this vegetable gently abrades tooth surfaces, which removes unsightly stains. The iron found in broccoli protects tooth enamel by coating it with an invisible barrier that keeps cavity-causing acids away.

7. Cheese

Being devoid of color, most cheeses will not stain teeth. They also contain calcium and phosphorus, which help strengthen teeth and gums through re-mineralization. Those properties also help in insulating teeth from harmful acids in the mouth.

8. Water

Drinking water helps you stay hydrated and prevents stains from forming on your teeth. Swish it in your mouth after eating or drinking pigment-rich foods and beverages to keep your smile white and bright. Water also reduces your mouth’s overall acidity, lessening the likelihood of damaging your tooth enamel. Just make sure you stick to flat water, as the sparkling variety increases the chances of eroding tooth surfaces.

9. Pineapple

Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which is a natural stain remover that also helps separate plaque from the surface of your teeth. This prevents tooth erosion and discourages cavities from forming, resulting in healthier and whiter teeth.

10. Shiitake Mushrooms

This fungi is filled with lentinan, a type of sugar that does not promote tooth decay, but instead curbs its formation by preventing plaque-building bacteria from proliferating in your mouth.
11. Salmon

The vitamin D found in salmon helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorus, nutrients that strengthen your teeth and contribute to a beautiful smile.

12. Basil

As a natural antibiotic, this herb has bacteria-inhibiting properties that prevent the formation of cavities.

13. Onions and Garlic

The key is in eating these raw. Doing so releases bacteria-reducing compounds called thiosulfinates and thiosulfonates, promoting healthier teeth by reducing the production of plaque. Being colorless, these foods will also not stain teeth.

Do you have other ideas on how to help whiten teeth naturally? Share them in the comments below!

CULLED FROM:LIFE HACK

21 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by pendusky(m): 4:15pm On Nov 05, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin my teeth are clean and white already... do i still need them?

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by AdeniyiA(m): 4:35pm On Nov 05, 2013
pendusky: grin grin
fake teeth
grin

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by pendusky(m): 6:48am On Nov 06, 2013
Adeniyi A.:

fake teeth
grin
U DON SEE AM BEFORE

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by timpaker(m): 3:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
No wonder!! I'm addicted to apples and carrots grin

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Goldenheart(m): 3:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
Hmmm...

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Jeel: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
I need this thing for this my brown teeth fa

3 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by gluv01(f): 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
Forget that thing, ash from charcoal will do the magic grin
First of all, use chewing stick, rinse your mouth, Mix it with little water and tinkini salt, rub it on your teeth, wash after 2-3 mins. There we go! cheesy

16 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by nerodenero: 3:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
8. Water

Drinking water helps you stay hydrated and prevents stains from forming on your teeth. Swish it in your mouth after eating or drinking pigment-rich foods and beverages to keep your smile white and bright. Water also reduces your mouth’s overall acidity, lessening the likelihood of damaging your tooth enamel. Just make sure you stick to flat water, as the sparkling variety increases the chances of eroding tooth surfaces.
Probably the cheapest among the list and easily accessible.

6 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by packman: 3:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
rodeo0070: Products and services that promise to instantly brighten your smile can easily be found on grocery shelves or at the dentist’s office. But before reaching for that home whitening kit or enduring another hour sitting on your dentist’s chair, consider these 13 natural, sometimes unconventional (but often delicious!), tooth-whitening alternatives:

1. Oil (sesame oil or virgin coconut oil)

Oil, or more specifically, oil pulling, is when oil is used for gargling, not cooking. Sesame oil or virgin coconut oil is swished around inside the mouth and then spat out after fifteen minutes. As the substance is vigorously “pulled” back and forth between your teeth, the mucous membranes inside your mouth absorb nutrients from it.

Sesame oil has omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and vitamins A, B and E; while virgin coconut oil has antibacterial properties that promote healthier gums and cavity-free teeth. Just make sure not to swallow any of the spittle that will form as you gargle.

2. Strawberries

Malic acid is a natural astringent that acts as a bleaching agent, and it is present in most commercially available tooth-whitening products. Strawberries are filled with this key ingredient, which will whiten your teeth naturally, so make sure to add them to your basket on your next trip to the farmer’s market. The vitamin C in strawberries also aids in removing plaque.

3. Apples

Apples also contain high levels of malic acid. The act of biting and chewing on this crunchy fruit gently scrubs away debris, stains, and bacteria from your mouth.

4. Celery

Say goodbye to tooth stains as you snack on that piece of celery during your break! The fibrous cellulose act as a natural toothbrush, while the high water content stimulates saliva production, your natural mouth cleanser.

5. Carrots

Chewing on these rabbit favorites raw will increase the amount of saliva in your mouth, cleaning it further. The vitamin A in carrots is good, not just for your eyesight, but helps strengthen tooth enamel as well.

6. Broccoli

When eaten raw, this vegetable gently abrades tooth surfaces, which removes unsightly stains. The iron found in broccoli protects tooth enamel by coating it with an invisible barrier that keeps cavity-causing acids away.

7. Cheese

Being devoid of color, most cheeses will not stain teeth. They also contain calcium and phosphorus, which help strengthen teeth and gums through re-mineralization. Those properties also help in insulating teeth from harmful acids in the mouth.

8. Water

9. Pineapple

Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which is a natural stain remover that also helps separate plaque from the surface of your teeth. This prevents tooth erosion and discourages cavities from forming, resulting in healthier and whiter teeth.

10. Shiitake Mushrooms

This fungi is filled with lentinan, a type of sugar that does not promote tooth decay, but instead curbs its formation by preventing plaque-building bacteria from proliferating in your mouth.
11. Salmon

The vitamin D found in salmon helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorus, nutrients that strengthen your teeth and contribute to a beautiful smile.

12. Basil

As a natural antibiotic, this herb has bacteria-inhibiting properties that prevent the formation of cavities.

13. Onions and Garlic

The key is in eating these raw. Doing so releases bacteria-reducing compounds called thiosulfinates and thiosulfonates, promoting healthier teeth by reducing the production of plaque. Being colorless, these foods will also not stain teeth.

Do you have other ideas on how to help whiten teeth naturally? Share them in the comments below!

CULLED FROM:LIFE HACK

[size=15pt]1. Oil (sesame oil or virgin coconut oil) WERE DO YOU FIND THIS ONE

2. Strawberries --- YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY DE SALE THIS shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked AND YOU WANT ME TO EAT THIS FOR COMMON TEETH shocked shocked shocked

3. Apples ------ STORY THAT TOUCHES I EAT APPLE ALMOST EVERY DAY lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

4.Celery--------- THIS ONE DEY EXIST HA shocked shocked shocked

5.Carrots ---------- CARROTS I DISAGREE SINCE WHEN THEY BORN ME NA SOSO CARROT MY MA THEY USE THEY COOK STEW embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

6. Broccoli --------- OYIBO MENGEMENGE NA WA OOOO WATING THEY GO CHOP THIS ONE WITH sad sad sad sad sad

7. Cheese --------- YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TO GO MR BIGGS. grin grin grin grin

8. Water ---------- STORY STORY cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy !!!!!!!!!!!!! I DEY DRINK 50 LITER EVERYDAY tongue tongue tongue tongue

9. Pineapple ------------- HAHAHAHAHAHAH OP YOU RAN OUTY OF OPTION PINEAPPLE WEY DEY KILL TEETH lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

10. Shiitake Mushrooms ------------------ MAKE I GO INDIA OR CHINA GO FIND THIS ONE..... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

11. Salmon ----------------- WHAT OF SOLOMON GOSH VERY ODD angry angry angry angry angry

12. Basil ------------- YOU DON DEY ENTER PEOPLE NAME NIGERIA DOCIIITOR... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

13. Onions and Garlic ------------------ smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry ONION AND GARLIC WHAT OF GINGER AND MAGGI[/size]

52 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by shadrach77: 3:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
The most important teeth whitener was the one they left out of the list - Banana cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by wellmax(m): 3:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
I know several malams who eat lots of these things yet, their teeth are still very brown.

5 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Ogoanita(f): 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
Isnt there a paste or mouthrinze or sumtin that whitens the teeth faster? Ds na long journey na! undecided

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
What of people in our villages who farm and eat these fruits daily, do they have white teeth?

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
[size=20pt]SPACE FOR SALE angry[/size]

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by sexymoma(f): 3:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Where is Locust Beans angry ' Iru'
Where is Aches and toothpaste angry 'Eru'
Wo e never complete o ehn ehn undecided

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by oladiboy: 3:30pm On Nov 06, 2013
taking 2 - 4 sticks of cigrate also makes your teeth bright.

NEXT PLEASE.
[img][/img] grin

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by BE811APP: 3:31pm On Nov 06, 2013
I don't agree much with water...
Cuz some cities..der Waters are bad...
Have u seen Langtang ppl 4rm plateau State... Dey have Natural Brown/dirty teeth bcuz of der water!!!

4 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by yemi2plus(m): 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
TeamBakingSoda

2 Likes

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
In a week, I can't do without pineapple, cheese, apple, strawberry.
Last Bullet:
Now that I know their additional advantage, I ll...
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by oyedun82(m): 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
[size=20pt]basil na my fwend name o[/size]

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Mikkyhandy(m): 3:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
Too much dos and donts. Thought it was posted here on Nairaland sometimes back that Apple causes tooth damage? Anyway sha.....
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Jeel: 3:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
'WATER' free but so so sooo invaluable!!!
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by wabbylie(m): 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
thumbs up,dats an eye-opener.But i was xpectin u to add sugar cane.I bet you,chewin it will go a long way to whitenin ur teeth#white teeth#
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by AbuMikey(m): 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by igbsam(m): 3:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
How can i teeth become white when am addicted to GORO

1 Like

Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by lifestyle1(m): 3:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
cool
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by creativemusic: 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin OK
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by agrovick(m): 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2013
Noted
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by instinctg(m): 3:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
ok
Re: Foods That Can Whiten Your Teeth Naturally. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
My teeth is already white but I love apples, pineapples and apples and of course water. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Health Section Library / Iguana Lizard Bites Bikini Clad Woman Doing Yoga On The Beach / HIV Prevalence Ranking: Rivers State Most Rampant, Ekiti The Safest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.