Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? (37187 Views)

How Is Divorce Obtained Under Islamic Law / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Is Divorce The Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 06, 2013
Sister you can't believe what these women endure in the name of marriage
The one that died last year was beaten to death by her husband and his mother. Ask me her crime
How dare she take money from his pocket.
Ask me how much
200 naira
Ask me what she did with it
Just to buy food for their 3month old son.
And this man came back flew into rage because she didn't wait to get his permission.beat her up aided by his mother and when they saw she had slumped.they locked her in the room and fled.her body was discovered in the evening when her baby woke up and started to cry

The a$$hole is walking free now.
I'm sure that's what gave this one the liver to kill his own too.
Chillisauce: Make dem dey dia dey die one by one.

I mean how difficult can it be to get up and walk undecided.

Children or not. Btw, think when you start pumping out kids like popcorn. If YOU can not take care of them(financially, emotionally etc) don't have them. Full stop.
Poor kids are now caught in between.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chineloSA(f): 12:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
greatgod2012:

don't be naive my brother, many financially independent women are also abused, especially when they marry someone who is below their level educationally or professionally or who do not earn up to what they're earning.
Just last week, a colleague of mine was physically and brutally abused by her half baked educated husband of hers, claiming he was trying to trim her wings, as she seems to be too proud because she's earning more than him.
Such men are wounded lions and are more likely to suffer from inferiority complex.
May God help us from such men.

I am a woman please. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I have dealt with a lot of abused woman in my line of work. I can tell you that the most common problem is economic inequality, hence there is a great focus on woman empowerment on a National or international level ( well supposedly in Nigeria ). You agree with me or dont and you understand it or you dont!!!!! undecided undecided undecided undecided

I have done alot of academic research which has proven that. Though I do not have time to refer you to all the Research papers, governmental reports, UN reports etc. All over the world economic power has been the common denominator. I am not saying other factors do not also contribute, they do, but financial power has been a common denominator.

I would advice you to take your time and also interact with abused victims and ask them what stops them from leaving and also read information sources quoted above .Don't do one eye scanning research and conclude.

You may read this if you want to. smiley smiley smiley smiley

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.nl.ca%2FVPI%2Fpublications%2Feconomicindependence.pdf&ei=Yx56Ut3lN6SN7QaM7YHYDg&usg=AFQjCNFG1Qw73kQjTnQbE6FDmiTwyVxO0Q&sig2=BmEYs0pSZjpnAAqCZK7cxQ
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 06, 2013
Royal Roy: A campaign for divorce should be brought to the fore.
most churches that frown at divorce might have to include the clause "as long as your life is not at stake ".

Stories like this are so disheartening and makes one believe some women enjoy been treated like animals in their matrimonial home.

Must someone tell you to run when you see your life is in danger undecided.

Even chicken dey take off when they wan kill am, not to talk of human being,

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by chineloSA(f): 12:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
lorretta u: Sister you can't believe what these women endure in the name of marriage
The one that died last year was beaten to death by her husband and his mother. Ask me her crime
Ask me how much
200 naira
And this man came back flew into rage because she didn't wait to get his permission.beat her up aided by his mother and when they saw she had slumped.they locked her in the room and fled.her body was discovered in the evening when her baby woke up and started to cry

See Common denominator. Economic power smiley smiley
If she had her own money, she would have bought whatever and she probably could still be alive, and perhaps found courage to leave the abusive jack..ss.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
lorretta u: Sister you can't believe what these women endure in the name of marriage
Ask me how much
200 naira

My dear leave that environment or you help fight it. By reporting to police in case you start hearing and seeing such. Who knows, you might save a life.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by mysticgal(f): 12:12pm On Nov 06, 2013
Ask me how much
200 naira

your neighbourhood must really be haunted embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed„if this persist after two more times, please consult your house agent as soon as possible.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Amhappy(f): 12:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
SAD. I remember when i was a child(9 yrs) i stood between my uncle and his first wife during a fight. My uncle was holding a cutlass. After that fight my mum warned me seriously but her advice for that woman neva left me. A dead person doesn't talk nor can she stand in judgement. When i got married that same uncle of mine warned my husband never to lay his hands on me for any reason. RIP to the woman.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by NadiaSA1(f): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
Sad sha!!

embarassed
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 12:42pm On Nov 06, 2013
Amhappy: SAD. I remember when i was a child(9 yrs) i stood between my uncle and his first wife during a fight. My uncle was holding a cutlass. After that fight my mum warned me seriously but her advice for that woman neva left me. A dead person doesn't talk nor can she stand in judgement. When i got married that same uncle of mine warned my husband never to lay his hands on me for any reason. RIP to the woman.

hahaha,,,, our inherent hypocrisy ....

he can beat another persons daughter but will not let them beat his own daughter grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Alfoasegh: 12:49pm On Nov 06, 2013
Sissie: This is really sad. I don't know why women stay with their abusive spouse, its terrible.

But your husband slapped you last night, why are you still under his roof?
RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by greatgod2012(f): 1:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Alfoasegh:
But your husband slapped you last night, why are you still under his roof?
RIP to the dead.

are you her husband? Abi how did you know this?
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by troy20(m): 1:10pm On Nov 06, 2013
And why do i feel this is a made up story just to switch the focus and negative stories back to men maybe for once.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Chomzy19(f): 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
I always Say as Soons as there is physical abuse in dt marriage be u Man or Woman Get up n Walk away, if u are a woman n ur kids are lil take ur kids with u, I wonder d kind of kids u re even rearing by staying in an abusive marrg, D boys re simply learning dt it's okay to beat up their wives n d girls are learning u hv to sit back n take d beatings. So hw are u staying in d mrrg for d kids exactly? Its nt like u re doing anything good for dia psyche

When ur live is threatend Divorce oo, its nt a Sin its SELF-DEFENCE, Christ himself Encourages u to run for ur live.
If u do not hv d money or energy or time to begin any divorce process simply Separate, find ur own apartment n pack out!!

Or u End up lyk d OP's neigbour
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 1:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
troy20: And why do i feel this is a made up story just to switch the focus and negative stories back to men maybe for once.

hahaha.. conspiracy theorist

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by troy20(m): 1:24pm On Nov 06, 2013
violence is intolerable but no man finds it anywhere easy or appealing to raise a hand on a woman even if they had an experience of abuse with their mothers.An abusive mother made that monster
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by StateOfMind: 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
bukatyne:

I know a senior academic staff in a university who was abused by her not well to do husband

I also have an aunt, a nurse(PNO) in a federal teaching hospital who is still being abused by her husband, a self employed pharmacist. Wife earns more.

My sister's colleague, an administrator with 4kids is being abused by her hubby.

Another colleague, a mother of two is also facing abuse in her home. The hubby works in the same environment, and he's a senior clerical officer . Wife earns more.

Independent or dependent, most victims of abuse suffer from terrible low self esteem and have the same mentality-leaving is not an option, what happens to the kids\how do I cope alone\how will the society see me..

Op, Your title get as e be though.. undecided..fact that she chose to die doesn't mean MOST nigerian women are silly.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by mesther96(f): 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by obyrich(m): 1:50pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lesson for the living. People date for the wrong reasons and expect miracles in marriage.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 06, 2013
StateOfMind:
Op, Your title get as e be though.. undecided..fact that she chose to die doesn't mean MOST nigerian women are silly.
I don't think there Is any group of women in the world who tolerate abuse more than Nigerian women nay African women. All for silly culture and marriage tradition. In my place divorce is still highly frowned upon.and divorcees are either seen as slutty women who couldn't stick to one man or badly behaved women who couldn't keep the home together hence the husband had to send them out for better wives. Correct me if I'm wrong. Nigerian women need to be taught self value and the total populace needs re-orientation.
troy20: And why do i feel this is a made up story just to switch the focus and negative stories back to men maybe for once.
everything isn't about battle of the sexes. Stop trivializing this important issue.
mysticgal:

your neighbourhood must really be haunted embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed„if this persist after two more times, please consult your house agent as soon as possible.
honey the whole damn nation is haunted. We here these things everyday,read them everyday online,and you see the reaction of some men here on NL in regards to abuse,you'll know it's a national problem.
chineloSA:

See Common denominator. Economic power smiley smiley
If she had her own money, she would have bought whatever and she probably could still be alive, and perhaps found courage to leave the abusive jack..ss.
that's what I say too.
Chillisauce:

My dear leave that environment or you help fight it. By reporting to police in case you start hearing and seeing such. Who knows, you might save a life.

will be outta here in no time.
But does it mean men don't abuse their wives in other places? Like I said it's a national problem.
Royal Roy: A campaign for divorce should be brought to the fore.
most churches that frown at divorce might have to include the clause "as long as your life is not at stake ".

Stories like this are so disheartening and makes one believe some women enjoy been treated like animals in their matrimonial home.
that's what I said too. And some people be like only adultery is allowed for divorce.I'm sure when God (his apostle)was making that law he didn't realize mankind would turn out so bad as to start kiiling their lovers.I'm sure he'd have included it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by soulglo: 5:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
lorretta u: I just feel bad cos the man will surely go unpunished now. And who will take care of her little kids now? The last one is 4months old.

This kind of thing has happened in this same area early last year. The man is walk free.and the babies the woman left behind were just left helpless until her siblings came and took them.now same thing is happening again. Cos they know there's no serious law in place to punish abusive spouses. It's so infuriating.

Why do you keep saying he will go on punished? Don't we have laws in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by soulglo: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2013
StateOfMind:

I also have an aunt, a nurse(PNO) in a federal teaching hospital who is still being abused by her husband, a self employed pharmacist. Wife earns more.

My sister's colleague, an administrator with 4kids is being abused by her hubby.

Another colleague, a mother of two is also facing abuse in her home. The hubby works in the same environment, and he's a senior clerical officer . Wife earns more.

Independent or dependent, most victims of abuse suffer from terrible low self esteem and have the same mentality-leaving is not an option, what happens to the kids\how do I cope alone\how will the society see me..

I think what just pisses me off is that some of these women wear this like some badge of honor. I don't think I can be a friend to a woman that allows this to be done to her. I can be a source of comfort to the kids but I just cannot respect women like this
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
My dear that's the helplessness we face in this nation.
Get him arrested and the police who are supposed to jail him are all wife batterers who'll collect money from him and let him go.
Yea we have laws,but they aren't well implemented
soul_glo:

Why do you keep saying he will go on punished? Don't we have laws in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by baby124: 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
mysticgal: that's why i continue to advocate>>>>women should learn boxing and wrestling before traditonal and white weddings,undecided a man using a woman for punching training when she can turn from wife to knife,anyhow @lorreta the man did not go unpunished,he went for temporary adjustment,soon and soon karma will cash up with him angry

ROTFLMAO. Well said. These men know who they marry though. They are very good at this and are predators. So they go for girls that they know cant fight back. They are cowards. If they suddenly find their woman can fight gidigbo, they will stop or find a new victim to marry. This is why women need to be careful who they marry or are fighting another woman for. Some women are seeing shege in that fantastic marriage you are envying.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by baby124: 6:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
Aggrippa:
you women made the men to be WILD BEASTS. you are the ones who also gave birth to them and also encourage them in their SAVAGE BEHAVIOURS, you are the ones only who also MALTREAT your HOUSEHELPS using all manner torture instruments to TORTURE in the presence of your own children. you are the ones who PROPAGATE VIOLENCE! it is a VICIOUS CIRCLE. unfortunately it is these BEASTS that are always with wealth or DOUGH the reason why most of you end up in the WILD BEASTS ARMS!

You are very right. Women have failed in Nigeria when it comes to their boy children. For real. From choosing retards to be their husbands or baby fathers. And then teaching their men it is okay to be aggressive towards women. It starts from beating their siblings and onward. They equal respect with beating someone whom they feel is lower than them or a subordinate.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by armyofone(m): 6:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
It is only in Africa that men like that go unpunished.

Currently in the news is an American doctor who killed his very beautiful wife to marry Gypsy his mistress. Shortly after the wife died Gypsy was interviewed by the guy to become the children's nanny (so they can continue their rompy business).
The children are testifying now that their dad killed their mom.

I love American Justice.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lilmax(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
I cant imagine myself hitting a woman....but loretta do these men just get up and start hitting them
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by soulglo: 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
lorretta u: My dear that's the helplessness we face in this nation.
Get him arrested and the police who are supposed to jail him are all wife batterers who'll collect money from him and let him go.
Yea we have laws,but they aren't well implemented

They should go to the courts. It could be a long drawn out process especially in a place like Nigeria but people need to start exercising their rights in Nigeria. The laws are already there. There is nothing anyone can do if everyone folds their hands and does nothing about their situation. This is not a police issue. Regular citizens can do their part. You know the man's first and last name then put it up here. Circulate it on Facebook. Do you know where he works? Do you know what church he attends? Do you know what village he is from? Put it in a flyer with his name on it. Make flyers and staple it with his crime on every electric pole you see. Put his last known address. Put the name of the church he goes to. People will talk. Social media has helped solve crimes. Social media has forced people in government to act differently. Nothing is really a secret anymore. Please Nigerians should decide that they will be nobody's victim. You should not be made helpless. I hope there are people there who will get justice for her children.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by troy20(m): 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2013
yea physical abuse on women shouldnt be tolerated but so are any other form of domestic violence.Alota people underestimate a womans third degree ability for violence and abuse.alota young children live endengerd lives in homes that arnt thier parents as househelps.there have been reported cases where the've been battered to death by madams of these homes and its been on the rise for long now.its still a case of domestic violence.an abuse or even murder on a young 8 to 12 year olds is savagery of the worst kind.who stands for this ravaged kids from poor homes? None.i mean we have child labour and abuse laws but hw effective has it ever been.there are thousands of daily unreported abuse cases.go to alota homes and you cant imagine the evils these women are capable of on these child helpers or maids.many dont even experience the basics of any form of education unlike these madams children they look after.and thats hugely understating the gory experiences.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by obyrich(m): 7:16pm On Nov 06, 2013
lil max: I cant imagine myself hitting a woman....but loretta do these men just get up and start hitting them
Wife bashing is unjustifiable under any pretext. If a man thinks his wife is too annoying for his liking and has exhausted all peaceful means of making her change her attitude, he should divorce and not kill her! One's wife is not his goat or dog. Only few people can get the mind to personally kill their pet. Don't marry her if you do not see her as your PARTNER in life's journey.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 06, 2013

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by ladygogo: 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
i dont even know what to say.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by timeframe: 7:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
This reminds me of a guy I was dating. He was almost perfect (I said almost for a very good reason- almost doesnt and will never count) one day we had an argument and he said he was going to break my head with the bottle that was close to us. Red flag, did not take me time to break it off, and to think that this guy wanted to marry me.smh

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of My Marriage / I'm 23 Years Old While My Girlfriend Is 29 Years (Can We Get Married) / Nonuplets: 27-year-old Halima Cisse Returns To Mali (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.