Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? (37182 Views)

How Is Divorce Obtained Under Islamic Law / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Is Divorce The Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Godson201333(m): 8:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
I wonder ooo..Back home we use to have a neighbor that told me that the husband normally beat for for the past 23 years...Now she is used to it and they beat each other.why not quit rather than enduring....
Moreover women self una fit make person commit!!
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pricelessj7: 8:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
bukatyne:

I know a senior academic staff in a university who was abused by her not well to do husband
Those not well to do husbands are even the most abusive due to their inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Justeenaleo(f): 8:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
Were people not there when she was being beaten? Couldn't they have saved her? I bet everybody was busy minding their own business mtchew
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by betadaz: 8:26pm On Nov 07, 2013
RIP to the dead, assuming the story is true. Some men are extremely irresponsible I agree, but some women are absolutely unmarriageable! My Dad and mentor told me thus: "It is wrong and unacceptable to beat your wife, however beating her is justifiable if that is all you need do to remain the man of the house". Even the bible charges women to be submissive. I have never seen a virtuous and submissive wife abused by any man. Sometimes men are pushed beyond the elastic limit.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lirusehn(m): 8:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
blink182: How can a man beat his wife to death. Pathetic
dnt tell me u bliv dez craps posted by dez hungry attention seekers. Wake up bro. Nway!!! I swear 2 God i didnt read d OP's message. Ave gat no tym 2 waste.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pricelessj7: 8:33pm On Nov 07, 2013
It's really pathetic.May her soul RIP.This should serve as a lesson to us.A problem shared is half solved.There is no gain dying in ignorance.I beleive that is the reason we have marraige counsellors.Besides couples should learn to settle amicably and forgive quickly b4 the issue gets out of hand.Men should love their wives and women should respect their husbands.Remember,there cannot be two captains in a ship.May God help us.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by crackhaus: 8:51pm On Nov 07, 2013
lirusehn: dnt tell me u bliv dez craps posted by dez hungry attention seekers. Wake up bro. Nway!!! I swear 2 God i didnt read d OP's message. Ave gat no tym 2 waste.

undecided undecided

You didn't read the OP's post but you're certain it was crap
Pray tell bruv, how do you come up with some of the comments you make/

Ahhh I know, of course you hate girls women...don't you? undecided

You're sick in the head dude...and I mean that with a glass of beer #cheers

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 8:54pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mujah1deen: so far you and the members of your feminazi gang are the ones ganging up people who are against divorce, you are the ones throwing tantrums, calling women who want to fix their marriages dumb etc .so kindly get married and do whatever you want, but don't come here single ,lonely with your pseudo bravado to mislead people or talk about what you don't know. Anyway by the time you get married and start pooping babies ,your speech would b different
Hahaha! Really? What makes u fink i'm not married,hmm? I hv to post my wedding pix to convince u? Feel free to voice ur opinion,but gone are the days when women were cowards.I'm a strong advocate for women empowerment.Call it tantrums,i no send.We've got to start somewhere.I dn't condone violence frm my man,why shld other women do so? Religion is not an excuse to oppress women.Sheesh!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by soulglo: 8:55pm On Nov 07, 2013
betadaz: RIP to the dead, assuming the story is true. Some men are extremely irresponsible I agree, but some women are absolutely unmarriageable! My Dad and mentor told me thus: "It is wrong and unacceptable to beat your wife, however beating her is justifiable if that is all you need do to remain the man of the house". Even the bible charges women to be submissive. I have never seen a virtuous and submissive wife abused by any man. Sometimes men are pushed beyond the elastic limit.

Wow. I cannot believe your father pulled aside and told you this? If you have not beat your wife you will beat her. Anyway for those of you that say it is Nigerian women who raise their sons to be abusers ...............

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Sunglow: 8:56pm On Nov 07, 2013
Aggrippa:
you women made the men to be WILD BEASTS. you are the ones who also gave birth to them and also encourage them in their SAVAGE BEHAVIOURS, you are the ones only who also MALTREAT your HOUSEHELPS using all manner torture instruments to TORTURE in the presence of your own children. you are the ones who PROPAGATE VIOLENCE! it is a VICIOUS CIRCLE. unfortunately it is these BEASTS that are always with wealth or DOUGH the reason why most of you end up in the WILD BEASTS ARMS!
Sharrap there,someone died and you are ranting shit out of your mouth.what if it was your sister nko.Ewu Gambia angry

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 8:57pm On Nov 07, 2013
lirusehn: dnt tell me u bliv dez craps posted by dez hungry attention seekers. Wake up bro. Nway!!! I swear 2 God i didnt read d OP's message. Ave gat no tym 2 waste.
You didn't read the OP's words....then i'm wondering what u're still doing here?Nobody glued u to this thread.You cld easily walk away if the topic is too hot for u.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lirusehn(m): 9:00pm On Nov 07, 2013
crackhaus:

undecided undecided
You didn't read the OP's post but you're certain it was crap
Pray tell bruv, how do you come up with some of the comments you make/

Ahhh I know, of course you hate girls women...don't you? undecided

You're sick in the head dude...and I mean that with a glass of beer #cheers
*smiles wickedly* by its comments u shall knw d message. Bsidz, its got naffin 2 do wif if i hate 'em or not as u ave no proof 2 bak it up. Nway!! Ave gone tru d short commentz of some fools here and ave seen d whole body of dis thread *brings out his sledgehammer* one more word i'l change ur face.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Sunglow: 9:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
chineloSA:
I cannot fully blame the woman. Alot of woman stay in abusive marriages because of financial dependence. Which sometimes they bring upon themselves ( by allowing to stay at home because a man suggests so), laziness or because of unemployment situation.

Name a financially independent person who tolerates any kind of abuse.

Give all woman Economic Power and Freedom, things will turn around. undecided undecided undecided

cry cry cry cry Sad for her though
That is why women need to become financial independent its time they start taking advantage of programms like YOUWIn.so that when the man who is supposedly your hubby and ought to be your protector starts misbehaving.....u know what to do na wink wink
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lirusehn(m): 9:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
GentleMimi:
You didn't read the OP's words....then i'm wondering what u're still doing here?Nobody glued u to this thread.You cld easily walk away if the topic is too hot for u.
sumtimz u move off context not cuz u wish buh 4 d fact dat u cant stand d ish bin posted or displayed. I neva tot of commentn nt untill i saw d ish u and odaz posted. Work on ur marriage and stop ranting here sist.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 9:13pm On Nov 07, 2013
GentleMimi:
Hahaha! Really? What makes u fink i'm not married,hmm? I hv to post my wedding pix to convince u? Feel free to voice ur opinion,but gone are the days when women were cowards.I'm a strong advocate for women empowerment.Call it tantrums,i no send.We've got to start somewhere.I dn't condone violence frm my man,why shld other women do so? Religion is not an excuse to oppress women.Sheesh!
it is obvious you are single. If you were married you would know that marriage brings up more responsibilities that can't be thrown away because your husband slapped you, especially if you have children, you need to work on your temperament. Besides, I have never heard about a man who beats his wives for the sake of it, there is always something behind the scene. You see this is the attitude I was talking about, why don't you mind your business? Did they send you message? Get married and deal with your future husband the way you want, but you should know that the first reflex from someone who is really married is to fix his marriage .period
I don't know how religion is oppressing women

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 9:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
lirusehn: sumtimz u move off context not cuz u wish buh 4 d fact dat u cant stand d ish bin posted or displayed. I neva tot of commentn nt untill i saw d ish u and odaz posted. Work on ur marriage and stop ranting here sist.
You crack me up! Now see who is talking ''in context''.Guy,wake up and smell the coffee....come back to earth and be a real person.Stop living in ur lalalaland.It is ''ish'' to u because u feel u're an alpha male,whose opinion is the ultimate,wif no intimate experience in violence.Well,sorry to burst ur bubble.In this present age,ur opinion holds NO water.
And abt me working on my marriage,i do not need u to tell me to do so,cos u aint got no idea.if u've got an opinion,drop it and stop nagging!
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 9:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mujah1deen: it is obvious you are single. If you were married you would know that marriage brings up more responsibilities that can't be thrown away because your husband slapped you, especially if you have children, you need to work on your temperament. Besides, I have never heard about a man who beats his wives for the sake of it, there is always something behind the scene. You this is the attitude I was talking about, why don't you mind your business? Did they send you message? Get married and deal with your future the way you, but you should know that the first reflex from someone who is really married is to fix his marriage .period
I don't know how religion is oppressing women
what exactly is ur arguement,young man? That a woman whose husband shows no signs of stopping his violent acts shld remain in the marriage b'cos ''certain religious'' beliefs are against divorce.Like,seriously
Well,thank God some of us are not under any religious obligation to remain in a violent home!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lirusehn(m): 9:25pm On Nov 07, 2013
GentleMimi:
You crack me up! Now see who is talking ''in context''.Guy,wake up and smell the coffee....come back to earth and be a real person.Stop living in ur lalalaland.It is ''ish'' to u because u feel u're an alpha male,whose opinion is the ultimate ,wif no intimate experience in violence.Well,sorry to burst ur bubble.In this present age,ur opinion holds NO water.
And abt me working on my marriage,i do not need u to tell me to do so,cos u aint got no idea.if u've got an opinion,drop it and stop nagging!
if i wanna claim dat tag (d bold) u'll leave dis thread for me. Aint here 2 argue sev jez wanna let y'all knw *y'all shud stop seekin attentions, stop living 2 diff lifes( d normal and NL) and stop claimin 2 ave ideas wen u yuv got knwn* work on ur marriage and stop ranting
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 9:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
GentleMimi:
what exactly is ur arguement,young man? That a woman whose husband shows no signs of stopping his violent acts shld remain in the marriage b'cos ''certain religious'' beliefs are against divorce.Like,seriously
Well,thank God some of us are not under any religious obligation to remain in a violent home!
see this teenager calling me young man? Well only on nairaland, where lonely single give give marital advices.
So now people beliefs don't count? You see your shallow minded attitude? You and your feminazi gang should stop misleading virtuous women or you don't want to face the wrath of God alone?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2013
Some women would rather be treated like crap by men due to financial dependence, some due to either the status of being a married woman, or the fact that they just can get themselves to leave the man, all to have another woman get a share of the man's wealth or to to take over what she felt she started........while some stay because they've addicted to the comfortable lifestyle .....some due to lack of self esteem, because they've afraid of either starting all over again or being single for the rest of their lives.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by God2man(m): 9:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
Hmmmmnnn.........
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Sunglow: 9:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
soul_glo:

The most powerful role model in a child's life is the parent of the same sex. The most well known example is Chris Brown whose mother let her boyfriend abuse her in presence of her son. Chris Brown later said that he hated the man so much he wished he had a gun as a kid. He wanted to kill him. Fast forward a couple of years in the future and he brutally assaults Rihanna even though the thought of a man putting his hands on his mother sent such a rage through him he wanted to murder the man. Does his mother have some responsibility? Sure. She taught her son that it is okay to stay with a man that did things like that thereby passing on the message that spousal abuse is not such a bad thing. At the end of the day the person we should focus on is the adult who chose to put his hands on someone else. I have never seen a man that came from a family were women were respected and treated no less than men that just get up and start hitting females. They usually learn it from their fathers or male figures of authority in their lives.
You are so damn right.Sons who watch or see their mother abused by their fathers are likely gonna do same to their wives...Fact
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Sunglow: 9:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
BarryX: Rantings! Rantings!! Rantings !!!
I don't fancy a situation where some obnoxious ladies view a scenerio along gender lines -- trumpeting a feminine style that is biased and unappealing.

Until we start thinking on what the other "rational" party feels before taking some harsh decisions, we might not be able to answer the battering dilemma that confront us daily in our society.

NOTE: Ain't holding brief for murder or battering as it were, but hoping we give fair" appraisals in situations between two rational/sane beings living together under marraige conditions before jumping into some hurried conclusions/judgement.
Why are you getting angry?Do you abuse your wife?or your girlfriend? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 9:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
lirusehn: if i wanna claim dat tag (d bold) u'll leave dis thread for me. Aint here 2 argue sev jez wanna let y'all knw *y'all shud stop seekin attentions, stop living 2 diff lifes( d normal and NL) and stop claimin 2 ave ideas wen u yuv got knwn* work on ur marriage and stop ranting
hihihiehie...*laughing in swahili*. When u've got no useful points,u say one is seeking attention.Pls if i may ask,who is going to give me the so called attention? You? Kikikaakakakhahahaha! Choi! I dn't ''claim'' to hv ideas,i simply HAVE ideas and i've got my facts sorted out.Now if u've got any other useful knowldge to pass across,kindly do so.For ur info,women are becoming intellectuals these days,we d'nt sit on our asse*s anymore....so go figure!...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 9:37pm On Nov 07, 2013
Sunglow: Why are you getting angry?Do you abuse your wife?or your girlfriend? undecided
so anyone who doesn't think like you is an abuser right?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 07, 2013
Pls sir can you let me(us) know what you suggest for abused women to do.in order to guarantee the safety of their lives.
SegzyJoe: At loreta
Since Nigerian women don't like to divorce their husband why dont u start a campaign so that we can properly place u as devil incanate that you are. Do I blame u? Have u ever been married? Would d woman in question have found joy, if she is divorced like u?

Moral bankcrupt pple like u can start a shameless campaign telling pple to divorce their husband thereby goin contrary against d plan & purpose of God for mankind. Does that means
pple cannot die because they re divorced? Or why do
u think her failure to divorce was d reason she
died?

Have u ever consider d pain ur evil counsel will bring on other pple in the marriage like d children? Pls learn to shut up ur mouth on things u don't understand, pls.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by princeilcity(m): 9:39pm On Nov 07, 2013
So painful,she gave the kids a bad name and half parent upbringing,may God be with them and reward the husband asap
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by GentleMimi: 9:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mujah1deen: see this teenager calling me young man? Well only on nairaland, where lonely single give give marital advices.
So now people beliefs don't count? You see your shallow minded attitude? You and your feminazi gang should stop misleading virtuous women or you don't want to face the wrath of God alone?
People's beliefs do count,but DO NOT impose ur beliefs on others.And stop claiming ''Gods wrath''.It is ur own wrath u're feeling now,Mr. Self righteous.
And,yes,i can call u young man...and if i fancy....boy. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by eightsin(m): 9:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
I feel for the kids especially d 4months old baby. It didn't even get to know what mothers luv mean. Smh.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Mujah1deen: 9:42pm On Nov 07, 2013
lorretta u: Pls sir can you let me(us) know what you suggest for abused women to do.in order to guarantee the safety of their lives.
they should pray and keep praying, Allah knows best ,he knows why he gave you this kind of husband, and maybe it is your duty on this earth to change him.
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by lirusehn(m): 9:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
Mujah1deen: see this teenager calling me young man? Well only on nairaland, where lonely single give give marital advices.
Oga. Xchangn words wiv des THINGS aint an option. Leav 'em all. Dey are ants in human's clothing. Dey'll only garble ur well srtuctured ideas wiv dia foolishnez.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Nonuplets: 27-year-old Halima Cisse Returns To Mali (photos) / I will deny my husband sex until he pays his debt — wife / The Finger Nails Pregnant Woman Got For Her Baby Shower...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.